WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Fly Solo or Join Team?

navybluecrafts
09-05-2011, 03:20 PM
If you had the opportunity to start over, or start with a new company, and had the option to either sign up directly with the company or join a team with people you've never met who live states away, which would you do?

I'm currently inactive with a large, well known company. I was part of an awesome team, but then the director started stealing leads and parties, banning long time members from meetings/team events, a whole bunch of mess. I'm not inactive because of this, but it's part of why I'm not willing to restart with them for now.

I am going to sign up with another company by the end of this month. It's a new party plan, no one in my area, and I can sign up either with a team or directly with the company. I've got to say, signing directly is pretty attractive to me. I have people in the area who are with other companies and we get together on a regular basis to share ideas, etc, so I wouldn't be completely on my own as far as support. It just wouldn't be with fellow consultants with the same product.

TSmom
09-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I just recently signed up with Pure Romance. It was the BEST decision. I have big goals with this company so I chose to sign under someone who has already met the goals "I" want to achieve. She works this as a only source of income and has been earning a 6-figure income for several years. She is the PERFECT upline to have as my mentor!

I think it depends on what a person is looking for out of the business. It helps to sign under someone who understands what YOU want out of the business. If I wanted to treat it as a hobby, I would have signed under someone who did that, as well.

madisonbags33
09-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I think I'd still join with the team. I'd just research the team, interview the upline, etc. to make sure that I was joining the right group. I really like being part of a team, we offer each other support, give each other ideas, nothing like what you're describing. I'm not sure which is more common (your experience or mine) but I would think if you're in an isolated area you're going to have quite a lot of independence either way! You're not going to share which company you're joining? You have my interest peaked! ;)

xandusk
09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
I much prefer the support of a team. While it's great to network with others doing the same type of job, it can't replace the knowledge of a specific company and set of products that you can get from a well working established upline. Even if your contact with them is all done online, they will still have knowledge that can help you do better in the long run.

liz.jewels
09-05-2011, 04:14 PM
If you are willing to do the research, and the company will let you call them frequently to get answers to your questions, I'd sign up with the company and build your own team in your area that you run the way you'd want it to be run.

Best wishes in your new venture!

Leanne McGarr
09-09-2011, 11:23 AM
What are the Pros and Cons of each? Is there any benefit to being Direct to the company. It is mostly an esteemed position?. Nobody higher than you on the chain but of course, that would carry extra responsibility. I am sure there are pros in that if you are direct to the company, you might have "an ear" that you can always talk to directly in the company versus going to your upline.. However, since the buck stops with you, you should be ready to deal with whatever comes up. Your downline will be looking to you.

Having an upline is great as long as you can communicate with her easily and she is accessbile. You can be a part of a team instead of independent and on your own. Certainlly, there will be others in your position no matter what you decide so as long as you develop friendships, you will have support.

Just remember this. Most start up companies do not make it. I know oftentimes people think that is the key. To get in at the right time. But more of Direct Sales companies fail than make it. It may take a few years to know one way or another. So just balance that as well in your decision making.

HTH
Leanne

If you had the opportunity to start over, or start with a new company, and had the option to either sign up directly with the company or join a team with people you've never met who live states away, which would you do?

I'm currently inactive with a large, well known company. I was part of an awesome team, but then the director started stealing leads and parties, banning long time members from meetings/team events, a whole bunch of mess. I'm not inactive because of this, but it's part of why I'm not willing to restart with them for now.

I am going to sign up with another company by the end of this month. It's a new party plan, no one in my area, and I can sign up either with a team or directly with the company. I've got to say, signing directly is pretty attractive to me. I have people in the area who are with other companies and we get together on a regular basis to share ideas, etc, so I wouldn't be completely on my own as far as support. It just wouldn't be with fellow consultants with the same product.

VelmaD
09-09-2011, 06:11 PM
I have people in the area who are with other companies and we get together on a regular basis to share ideas, etc, so I wouldn't be completely on my own as far as support. It just wouldn't be with fellow consultants with the same product.

I think the above sentence will be key to whether you can make it on your own, because you're really not on your own. Without at least a support group of like-minded people, it gets difficult to work through the slow months. One advantage of your multi-team approach is you can organize events where all of you can demonstrate or display your wares at the same place at the same time. I haven't participated in one of these but I've seen it done and it seems like a really good idea.

I signed up for a party company under someone who immediately abandoned me. For two years I basically purchased stuff for myself to try everything and occasionally sold to my sisters. When I decided to get more involved, I went to the next person up the chain and she "adopted" me. Although I've been welcomed and attended many meetings, I'm still an introvert at heart so it takes me a long time to feel comfortable in a group of strangers. Why I'm in a direct selling-party plan business at all continues to amaze me, but I really love the products and the way they've changed my life. So I slog on.

navybluecrafts
09-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Just remember this. Most start up companies do not make it. I know oftentimes people think that is the key. To get in at the right time. But more of Direct Sales companies fail than make it. It may take a few years to know one way or another. So just balance that as well in your decision making.

HTH
Leanne

Thanks Leanne. This particular company has been in business for over 100 years, but just started a party plan earlier this year. I'm not concerned about the company itself going under.

One advantage of your multi-team approach is you can organize events where all of you can demonstrate or display your wares at the same place at the same time. I haven't participated in one of these but I've seen it done and it seems like a really good idea.

.... I'm still an introvert at heart so it takes me a long time to feel comfortable in a group of strangers. Why I'm in a direct selling-party plan business at all continues to amaze me, but I really love the products and the way they've changed my life. So I slog on.

I was talking to the main woman who puts all this together yesterday and she thinks it's a great idea to sign up with them. She said the same thing you did... she does a LOT of vendor events and could easily get me "in". She's thinking of setting up her own vendor event since she has tons of contacts.

Ugh, I know what you mean. I'm not comfortable speaking in front of a group of people unless I know my subject matter backwards and forwards, then I can talk all day and all night.

VelmaD
09-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Ugh, I know what you mean. I'm not comfortable speaking in front of a group of people unless I know my subject matter backwards and forwards, then I can talk all day and all night.
Isn't that the truth! I could have started selling much sooner, if I wasn't so Type-A about knowing the answers to all potential questions.
BTW I love some of your ceramic tiles. Do you ship to Canada?

shoppingmamma
09-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Here is my experience .....I sold Pampered Chef ages ago .....I had a great local group - this was so far back ago it wasn't that popular to have people under you all over as the internet wasn't that big yet ;) haha I'm old! I had a wonderful experience but I started that just after getting married and having my first baby - I loved cooking for others and all. After baby 3 cooking and cleaning up after others lost it's appeal ;) Fast forward to like 5 years later I join a new jewelry company under the company as a founding consultant. I went to the launch in Vegas and had a blast. I met 3 girls there - one was direct to company like me and then one of the others she signed and then that girl brought a friend she signed ....so they were already 3 deep. When we got back home and we all started getting leads from here, the company, online and such I did get people under me from all over US. I now though had 3 kids all in school and in sports and such and it was virtually impossible to ALWAYS be there for everyone. Plus we did weekly conference calls so I'd have to prepare for that. I ended up asking the company to put me under my friends - on that team. The support was amazing and it was so relieving to be able to just take a day off and know the girls still had help if they needed - there was 3 other directors they could call. I didn't see that many benefits to being direct to company but saw a ton in having a great support system, friends and a team you could count on.
Good Luck!

navybluecrafts
09-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Isn't that the truth! I could have started selling much sooner, if I wasn't so Type-A about knowing the answers to all potential questions.
BTW I love some of your ceramic tiles. Do you ship to Canada?

Thanks! I just added Canadian shipping this morning :)

navybluecrafts
09-11-2011, 09:50 AM
I didn't see that many benefits to being direct to company but saw a ton in having a great support system, friends and a team you could count on.
Good Luck!

Thanks! I already asked and it sounds like I can be put on a team later if I choose, so that option is there.

Motivated Mom
09-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Haivng the support of a team in your area is great. You can do joint parties, presentaions, etc. But if you are a great networker and enjoy doing presentations, as long as you have the access to your home office (training calls, webinars, online info., etc) it should not make a huge difference. You can still build your business and your team as long as you stay focused and consistent.