WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : HELP!! NEW blogger :)

Smokinhotbody
09-01-2011, 09:40 PM
HELP, I love to talk and to write but have never written a BLOG. Not sure where to even start. HELP :)

starbirdy66
09-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Best thing to do is make a list of your blogging goals so you can determine where to blog or how to get started if you decide to register a name and set a site up on your own host.

Do you want to make money blogging or advertise your business? Or are you just having fun? :D

Fun is easy, you can blog at Blogger or WordPress.com. However if you are seriously considering making money, the best is registering your own domain name (GoDaddy, NameCheap, etc), finding a host (HostGator is easy) and setting up your own WordPress site.

Then it is all uphill from there.

ViSalus Wendi
09-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Smoking Hot-
I too have never blogged before but I joined this group and it's kinda fun sharing thought and ideas. I'm doing my blogging for fun - it's therapeutic!
Have fun!

qualityliving
09-02-2011, 05:35 PM
I have wrote for YEARS, just never in a Blog. Most of its Goals, Inspirational, Motovation. Prayers, wants etc. Bogging is a New format for me to.. Not sure where to begin from paper to BLOGGING.

ljmblack
09-02-2011, 08:26 PM
I, too, have found that blogging is therapeutic and it gives me a voice. For me, successful blogging involves writing about something that you are really excited or passionate about. I have a blog/affiliate site that focuses on organic living, and sustainable living through the use of bamboo and hemp.

The blog allows me to not only talk about the subjects related to my site, but I also get to branch out on other subjects that are inspired. One blog I started initially writing about qi gong, but then I ended up writing about nutrition and medicine. Almost, 2000 words of information that had to be divided into several posts.

Granted, I haven't made money yet, but I love what I am doing, so the money will come.

AllanJames
09-02-2011, 11:03 PM
HELP, I love to talk and to write but have never written a BLOG. Not sure where to even start. HELP :)

Smokinhotbody (love your user name :D ) it seems you are wanting to blog recreationaly so you have two choices:

1) Use Google Blogger - free

2) If you feel $10 a month is not too much for you - get the suggested Hostgator account and use Fantastico (instructions at Hostgator) to install your blog there.

I would recommend 2) as best - Google can be very dictatorial at times and has been known to delete people's accounts Blogger without notice.

spifty1
09-03-2011, 06:43 AM
If you're just getting started and you're not really sure what you want to do then get yourself a free blog at blogger.com or wordpress and you can give it a go.

dlandry
09-03-2011, 07:34 AM
If you're just getting started and you're not really sure what you want to do then get yourself a free blog at blogger.com or wordpress and you can give it a go.

For the free blog I'd go with Blogger and get your own domain ($10-$11 a year) rather than Wordpress.com. With Blogger you can monetize if you want and with your own domain you can later transfer to a self hosted Wordpress without loosing the traffic, stats and subscribers you've worked so hard to get.

mountainmom5
09-05-2011, 12:07 AM
When I first got started I started with blogger.com and I never got any domain names for a long time. I don't think it matters if the blog has a domain name or not. Some of my blogs that get the most traffic are just blogger urls. :)

Once you start and find your way around the blogger site, it will familiarize you with how it all works, and then with time you can move on to a wordpress blog using hostgator to host it. I cringed in fear and intimidation for several years before I used hostgator and it's not near as hard as I figured it might be.

loremar
09-05-2011, 01:55 AM
If you don't know how to set up a blog, then you might try to go to blogger.com and register for an account. Fill in all the necessary things to set up the blog. Then you can start posting your articles then. You can also go to hubpages where you can easily interact with other hub authors.

bloggymommy
09-05-2011, 10:16 AM
The best part of blogging is there are no rules. You decide!!

Jflats
09-05-2011, 10:24 AM
They are both pretty easy to use. Wordpress has a public site you can blog on or you can create your own private blog using their software.

starbirdy66
09-05-2011, 10:31 AM
There is no one way to get started, but as in anything else there are rules. The FTC wants to make sure you disclose affiliations with companies whose services or products you recommend on your site, other writers want to make sure their copyrights are respected, and host companies and registrars want to make sure you are following the rules of their businesses so they don't get in trouble, Google wants to make sure your content is appropriate for their advertisers, etc.

I recommend reading the terms and conditions of anything you sign up for. That includes hosting, domain registration, advertising companies that will rotate ads on your site, affiliate companies whose products you will display on your site, etc.

dlandry
09-05-2011, 11:47 AM
The problem with not getting a domain name right away is you then can't move your blog without loosing subscribers, raking and followers. You use to be able to host a blogspot domain on another host but not any more. You can though host your own domain on blogger. With that when you move it's just like moving to a new house, you take everything with you and that includes any followers, subscribers and Google PR you worked so hard to get. If you use the blogspot domain and want to move to your own hosting you'll need to get a domain first and that's like starting all over again. Yeah, you can take your content with you but you've now got a new address and everything you worked hard to achieve is attached to the old domain, not the new one.

The good thing about getting your own domain and hosting for free at blogger, you can try blogging to see if you like it for $10-$11 a year and you can monetize when the time's right. You can even get a custom layout to make your blog look unique and more professional. You can have this made for you or find a free layout on any number of sights. You can even take a free layout and tweak it to make it your own.

Free Wordpress.com you can't monetize in any way. You also have to use one of the layouts they have and can't tweak them in any way with the exception of a few that allow you to change the header or colors. If you want to change any of the coding then you have to pay for an upgrade. Paying to do anything to a Wordpress.com blog to me is a waste of money since you can pay as little as $10-$15 a month and have your own blog on self hosted Wordpress.

ginene
09-06-2011, 06:47 AM
I use blogger and it works for me.

Smile Steady
09-15-2011, 06:41 PM
I've got my own domain hosted at Blogger, and have for the last couple of years. It's just a personal blog, but I've developed a decent following and I absolutely love writing there each week. When you write about your life, you never run out of things to say!

I also make some money on the side through an advertising network (pay based on page views) and through private ad sales. It's not a ton, but it makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time. Fun + extra spending money = a pretty good gig in my opinion!

davidogden
09-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Blogging is easy you say you love to write then blogging is straight forward, as other people have sais the free choices are blogger or WordPress , provided you are not doing business i recommend WordPress because at a later date you can transfer the blog to your own domain.

So you learn how to use a blog on WordPress.com and then when you have experience you can set up a blog to promote whatever you want, pick up a good popular domain name relevant to what you want to promote, set up a hosting account on a host that has Cpanel and fantastico (this is the fastest way to install a blog on your own domain)

dlandry
09-15-2011, 08:30 PM
When I first got started I started with blogger.com and I never got any domain names for a long time. I don't think it matters if the blog has a domain name or not. Some of my blogs that get the most traffic are just blogger urls. :)

Once you start and find your way around the blogger site, it will familiarize you with how it all works, and then with time you can move on to a wordpress blog using hostgator to host it. I cringed in fear and intimidation for several years before I used hostgator and it's not near as hard as I figured it might be.

The only reason I recommend a domain is if you decide down the road you'd like to move to self hosting. You can't move a blogspot domain so you'll end up having to buy a domain at that time. If you've got a successful blog, a lot of subscribers, followers and good PR you'll loose all of it when you switch domains. I think $10-$11 a year is a small amount to invest in the future of your blog.

EcoMom4EcoPlanet
09-17-2011, 06:31 PM
I registered a Google Blogger account and it couldn't have been easier. It's a great place to start for a newbie.

ktjones
09-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Blogger is where I started and then I progressed to Wordpress, buying my own domain and hosting. I think it's good to see how well it works out for ya before you put any money into it. It may be tough switching over, but some hosting sites allow you to quickly install Wordpress with ease!

shandagiscelle
09-18-2011, 05:42 PM
I just started blogging too in the last year and I decided to blog about my 2 favorite topics, losing weight- sharing my personal experience and catching bargains. Like the others mentioned, when you choose topics that are personal it makes it easier to write all the time. I have also been told by some of my readers that although they don't comment, they are encouraged and gain something from my blog, so it helps me as well as others and this makes me want to write even more!

cocofine
09-22-2011, 10:52 PM
I started with blogger and then wordpress. You can find lots of info about blogging for beginner..., just google it

IceMustang
09-23-2011, 08:09 AM

Start with Blogger, or buy a domain and get Wordpress compatible hosting. Then go write articles on other sites or other blogs to promote it. It might take you awhile to figure out what niches make money, so write about all kinds of niches until you find the ones which give you pageviews and make you money.