WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Hurricane Irene

danasurvey
08-26-2011, 01:52 PM
My best wishes and prayers for anyone who will be affected by Hurricane Irene. Stay safe and evacuate if you need to.

Marianne St. Clair
08-28-2011, 09:11 PM
I am so thankful that the hurricane was less than anticipated. It could have been so much worse. I am in Florida and we are used to them but it it not something that NYC is prepared for.

We are blessed.

bloggymommy
09-06-2011, 11:43 PM
The hurricane did do some damage on the coast of my state, NC. My dad helped with the cleanup and fixing heating and air units.

madisonbags33
09-07-2011, 06:13 AM
Thanks so much! The upstate NY area has been hit really hard, particularly in the Catskills. It's funny because people were so worried about NYC and Long Island but the flooding that happened in the Catskills (12+ inches of rain in some areas) was just devastating. Flood waters up to the second story of buildings, houses washed away completely, and many farms completely lost everything. So sad.

starbirdy66
09-08-2011, 03:14 PM
We have family in upstate-NY north and west of Albany/Schenectady. My mother says it is a mess. Clean-up crews cannot get in and out of certain areas because of the continued rain. Schools and colleges are having trouble starting because of the flooding near the colleges and the schools are sometimes used for the evacuated families. Whole communities lost their homes.

My husband realized looking at all the major road closings that over 100 miles of the NY state thruway was closed after yesterday's rainfall. I imagine options to get home for a visit with most of our family would be near impossible in many rural regions up there.

I hope the rest of the counties that didn't get FEMA yet are reviewed again and approved.

Meanwhile we are in PA and the rain is getting ridiculous. I'm getting constant alerts about flooding in our area. It took my husband two hours to get to work this morning, and it is normally just a 30-45 minute ride.