WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

missyroth
05-05-2006, 07:15 PM
I have a question for you candle makers, please. I have a candle company that I rep for that does not carry votives and very few tealights. I understand the different formats of wax for different types of candles but don't have much experience in tealights and votives. So my question is this...since they don't carry votives and tealights do you think I could just melt a larger candle down and pour as votives or tealights? It's a soy company, but of course, I don't know the exact formula, and I shouldn't. smileys/smiley1.gif But votives liquify as do tealights, so would it be that big of a deal? And with that, how much wax does a tealight holder hold? 1 oz, less than an ounce? I think it's worth a try...maybe?

Thanks for your help!!!
MissyEdited by: missyroth

KandleIndulgenc
05-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi Missy,

I think you would have better chances locating a candle company that offers tea lights and votives that you can sell.

To answer your question: If the company offerspillar candles then youcan melt the pillar candle to produce votives only. With tealights you woulduse one of the company's container candles and melt the wax in the container to pour into tea light containers.

I manage to pullone of my tea lights out of the containerandthe wax weight with the wick was 0.3 oz.

HTH,

Jameel

funnygirl
05-07-2006, 06:23 PM
You are also gonna have to test to find the right wick for their wax, and you really would need to test each fragrance, as the different fragrance oil affects which wick you use. Unfortunatly, in candle making it's not 1 size fits all, LOL! Unless you are ready to start testing wicks, I agree with Jameel. You would do better just to find someone that makes them already. I dont do tea lights, but there are alot of soy candle makers that do. Im also switching to all palm for my votives, so I cant help you there either. I bet someone will chime in though!

karadawn
05-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Like mentioned, you are going to need different sized wicks and the right type of wax. Since they say their was is 100%, a votive isn't even possible. You would need a certain type of blend to do anything but jar candles, tealights, or wax melts.

I honestly wouldn't try to melt down their candles to make your own, because something just doesn't sit well with me there. I know it's already been mentioned, but you might want to look for a company that has the same quality and offers what you are looking for. Do understand though, you will not find a site that offers both 100% soy and votives because it's just not possible. If they say they do, the wax is a blend (one of my biggest pet peeves, I can't stand dishonesty! smileys/smiley5.gif).

Probably not what you were wanting to hear, sorry. smileys/smiley17.gif

missyroth
05-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for all of the answers! And honestly, that's what I thought, but I have to check all avenues...