WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Amy Jacobs
08-02-2011, 07:21 AM
After watching the news this morning I am going to lean towards the Commute/Traffic. I don't miss a hour plus commute 1 way the cars are just creeping down the interstate (YUCKY). And now gas prices in my area are back to $4.11 plus.

Were so lucky :)

We get to wave to the neighbors to the right to the left and go back inside!

angienewton
08-02-2011, 10:07 AM
The thing I do not miss is being stuck to working a certain time frame, you know 9-5, 11-7, etc. I like being able to chose when I want to do something, go to lunch when I want, take a nap if I so choose LOL

BUT hubby LOVES his job and a home business is NOT for everyone so those are just my personal feelings;)

Divapreneur
08-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Good post Amy! I don't mess "faking" to like your boss or begging for overtime. I also don't mess getting your paycheck and saying, "THAT'S IT?!" lol

DeeAmber
08-02-2011, 09:58 PM
I think your post could apply to ANY ol' job actually. I've had jobs I hated and they weren't corporate.

Right now, I work in corporate media and I love it. We're constantly showered with gifts from clients and there are all kinds of perks. I lucked out BIG TIME with my boss. He's the coolest exec. that I've ever known.

I don't have to worry about gas because I'm in NYC and I take the train, which is cheaper than car insurance. I have an unlimited pass. Driving is more pleasurable, IMO, but I'm saving hundreds by not having to do it.

People bash on corporate America and I totally understand why they do. It's cutthroat and you're generally making someone else rich, but that pretty much goes for EVERY single company AND work-at-home-opportunity out there.

You don't have set hours working at home, but it takes a while to build substantial income and you will be working 60 hour weeks (at first). Whether it's between your full-time job and your work-at-home-business or your just your work-at-home-business alone.

People can say whatever they want, but the ones who are making substantial money worked their bottoms off to start and I would love for anyone to prove otherwise as I've known several work-at-home individuals (particularly network marketers) and they were all successful but worked a LOT to get things going.

However, the ONE difference with working for yourself (again, in network marketing) is that these companies generally offer residual income. So you can bust your bottom for a few years and then kick back, if you want.

I definitely do not bust my bottom in the corporate world...not in comparison to network marketing or work-from-home stuff. It's an easy punch-in, punch-out paycheck for me, but I would prefer to work hard for a few years with my current network marketing company WHILE I work full-time (to reinvest in it and advertise all around NYC) in order to really reap the rewards BIG TIME in a few years.

Just something to keep it all in perspective! Didn't mean to go off on a tangent, but I've heard a lot of people talking about this lately and think it's important that we don't fool ourselves completely :o I'm not going to be one of those people who will bust my bottom forever, even though I realize some people work with networking marketing companies and put 10-15 years in of hard work and make a little more. My MAIN idea is to replace my salary and then CHILL..literally chill and raise my kids. Working now so I don't have to do anything later. Perhaps it's not the right idea, but for me it is! :)