WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Adrianne
08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Is it difficult finding medical transcription work? Just wondering
before I invest in a course at my local community college. In
the telecommuting folder, those jobs take months before
getting hired and sometimes we have to re-apply and keep
checking back at the website.

Also, what is the average turnaround time of getting hired
and are you guys making at least $1000 a month or is
this too ambitious?

beautybeas1985
08-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Hi Adrianne
Well, are you ready for the good news or bad news? The bad news is that aside from all that medical terminology, employers expect you to have a general knowledge of prescriptions drugs and their spelling. You should know what is generic and what is not generic. The first letter of generic name is not capitalized. So, you go through your training and when you get out, you find that a lot of the work is getting sent outside of the U.S.A. to places like India and Philipines. I have a pre-teen I need to take care of, I have this transcription skill, and I keep hitting these dead-ends because of the latter reason and because a lot of employers want experience of 2 years or more. I had a transcription manager call me up and it sounded like she would have hired me right there on the spot if I had one year of experience in acute care. I felt really frustrated. So, after hearing my story, I think it would be wise to re-consider. It is true that I spent a lot of time studying the last 6 months. I took two other college classes, so I did not spend full-time hours looking for a job, but you can judge from my experience whether it is a good idea to devote your time to medical transcription training. I still have not found a med transcription job; and I finished the training 6 months ago. Leo

Is it difficult finding medical transcription work? Just wondering
before I invest in a course at my local community college. In
the telecommuting folder, those jobs take months before
getting hired and sometimes we have to re-apply and keep
checking back at the website.

Also, what is the average turnaround time of getting hired
and are you guys making at least $1000 a month or is
this too ambitious?

MTHome
08-01-2011, 08:12 PM
It depends on a lot of factors...how well you do on employer tests/how well you are trained, which school you graduated from, and a little bit of luck.

There are companies that do hire newbies...you just have to dig around a lot to find them. If you do well on employer tests and they like the school you went to, you should be able to find a job without too much problem.

Even if a company says they want experience, send them your resume anyway and talk to their recruiters. Sometimes they'll give a newbie a shot.

I do QA on spankin' new MTs, so I know they do find jobs.

Good luck.

Adrianne
08-01-2011, 08:24 PM
It depends on a lot of factors...how well you do on employer tests/how well you are trained, which school you graduated from, and a little bit of luck.

I looked at the schools in the sticky on this board. Is there
a particular school that employers prefer?

cloakzore
08-02-2011, 10:35 AM
I will note that there is plenty of general transcription work out there you don't need a course for that can pay good money. I made about $800 just last week. $1,000 a month is not at all unreasonable. If you do general transcription and find you like it, this will no doubt help you if you decide to become a certified MT later on.

pawp11
08-03-2011, 08:51 AM
I took some MT courses at my local community college. I don't feel they can possibly prepare you for medical transcription. I don't have any advice as to which schools are best, but your local CC isn't it, in my opinion. I would agree with cloakzore regarding general transcription work. I can easily make $1000 a month working part time.

I am still going to school at my local CC. I decided I would get a degree just so I can say, "Yes, I did it." Truthfully, I think I will stick with general transcription work though!

Good luck to you.

Adrianne
08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks payp11 for sharing your experience at the community college.
The last thing I want to do is get stuck with some education I can't
use. The course was only for MT and not general transcription which
I never considered. This gives me something else to think about.
Thanks again guys. You've all been very helpful.

cloakzore
08-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Most companies that do non-medical, non-legal work do not require any sort of education or certification to work for them. There are companies that hire people with no experience, given you meet a certain typing speed and can pass their test. Accutran is a great company to get started with, but the work is seasonal. It does pay quite well if you move up to editor. Their starting pay is also reasonable. Once you get some experience under your belt, you can apply to even more companies.

I have heard Tigerfish also takes newbies, but I have no personal experience with them. It's certainly worth a try. There is a post stickied at the top of this folder with a list of companies you can apply to. That is where I got my first work-at-home transcription jobs.

Adrianne
08-04-2011, 10:43 AM
To get on at Accutran or Tigerfish, what kind of foot pedal & headset will I need?

Sadie1Lady1
08-04-2011, 11:52 AM
You don't have to have a foot pedal to start, but most people get the Infinity foot pedal. I use hot keys only.

Any headset that allows you to hear everything and is comfortable for you will work.

cloakzore
08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks payp11 for sharing your experience at the community college.
The last thing I want to do is get stuck with some education I can't
use.

It is also worth considering that there are some schools that do "medical transcription" courses but don't give you any widely accepted certification. A lot of companies only accept certain MT courses as being legitimate.

pawp11
08-04-2011, 12:37 PM
It is also worth considering that there are some schools that do "medical transcription" courses but don't give you any widely accepted certification. A lot of companies only accept certain MT courses as being legitimate.

That is exactly what I was trying to say. The courses I experienced did increase my overall medical knowledge, but they are not enough for MT certification or jobs. If I were to change my mind and go for a career in MT, I would choose one of the online schools that offers job opportunities and/or certification.

After working with several great online companies in general transcription, I think I will just stick with that! The work is less specialized, more interesting, and pays well.

Again, good luck to you, Adrianne!

MTHome
08-04-2011, 12:59 PM
About finding MT work, I just noticed this today from Medquist: "To be considered for employment, applicants must have 1 year of acute care experience or be a recent graduate of an accredited AHDI medical transcriptionist program." So, that is one company that will hire new MT graduates, and they prefer the AHDI-approved MT schools.

But general transcription is a good choice if you don't have a real desire to be in the medical field.

Here's a link to job listings for medical transcriptionists/editors if you want to check them out. Many of them are full time with employee status with benefits: Jobs and resume posting for Medical Transcription (http://www.mtjobs.com/)

stil29
08-04-2011, 02:34 PM
As an aside, don't forget to consider the location of the company when choosing a shift position. I am 4 hours behind EST so I can gladly consider the less desirable 2nd and 3rd shifts. However, I definitely would NOT want to wake up for that morning shift! LOL

MTHome
08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I love working 2nd shift in my time zone, but 3rd shift would kill me.

But I do know some MTs who like 3rd shift. :confused: They like the shift differential on their paychecks, I guess.

Adrianne
08-04-2011, 03:29 PM
As far as the typing test, what's a good speed to strive for
to make sure I'm a good candidate?

cloakzore
08-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I would say at least 60-70wpm is necessary for most places. While there are many other things that affect how fast you can turn around a transcript, your typing speed can be a major limiting factor.

phxschnauzers
08-29-2011, 05:40 PM
I took the Career Step course and found a job within two weeks. Many companies are willing to hire CS grads with no experience, especially Honors and High Honors graduates. I don't have firsthand experience with any other training program and can't say the same thing for them. Feel free to PM me if you need any other info. $1000 a month is not an unrealistic expectation. Good luck!

LoveZoe&Jacks
08-30-2011, 10:45 AM
I did the Career Step course in 2007, graduated in December and was hired by Spheris (now MedQuist) right away. I've been working for them ever since. I work part-time, the bare minimum, and make about $800 a month. I could make a lot more but I have 2 small children at home and lots of interruptions, etc. So I am able to eke out the bare minimum of lines required to stay employed and that keeps me at about $800/month.