WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : How I Make Money From Home

kickapooh
07-25-2011, 05:15 AM
I do really well advertising using windshield wiper fliers. I promote a dating site where I make $6 per free signup. I hire people (off of craigslist) in different cities to spread out around their city and distribute fliers under windshield wipers in parking lots.

They are normally short and to the point, something like,
"New Local Singles Site Just Launched. Free To Join! -URL-"

I use one of my own short domain names for each person distributing fliers and forward it to the dating site. I create a new campaign for each one so I can track traffic coming in from each domain.

I print the fliers off myself and normally get 4 fliers out of each piece of paper. I mail each person 400 of them and pay them $80 by personal check included with the fliers. Yeah I've had some people cash the check and not distribute the fliers but that's part of the game.

I know it's simple and not a new concept but it works for me so I figured I would share.

jesslyn
09-10-2011, 03:48 PM
That's a really interesting idea. Real grassroots marketing, lol.

How did you come up w/ the 400 flyers for $80 rate? Is that pretty much market rate--20c/flyer?

Can you share some stats on how many of the 400 flyers typically convert into sales?

andr117
09-18-2011, 10:24 PM
You have a good example of effective and progressive work out there!
And it's rather rare nowadays to arrange such marketing trough the net as well!

IceMustang
09-23-2011, 05:24 AM
That's a pretty smart concept. Glad to hear you are taking action and making income.

davidtampien
10-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm sure it's true in other countries and cultures as well, but there's something especially entrepreneurial about Americans. That doesn't mean every one but maybe a higher percentage than other places. It probably also has something to do with our form of government that encourages entrepreneurial activity.

I think what you are doing is an excellent example of what is going to be happening as times get tougher and making a living becomes more difficult for more people. In my own community the idea of coupon-ing is becoming very popular. It just shows when the dollars get short the people will find ways to stretch them or make them work harder. They will also come up with ideas that may have never been used before and we will see a new awakening of the spirit of free enterprise and small and online business ownership.

I'm excited about the possibilities and I thank you kickapooh for sharing your creative idea.

David Tampien
Moses Lake, WA

linny
10-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I agree this is a very good old school way of advertising. Wonder why no one else does this anymore?

angienewton
10-04-2011, 08:47 PM
You probably don't see the windshield wiper advertising much anymore because those placing them on cars can be fined a nice hefty fee. I remember a story YEARS ago where this one biz placed flyers on cars and the owner of the parking lot property found flyers all over the place (people taking them off their cars and throwing on the ground) and the biz owner was fined big time for that and had to come back and clean the mess up:)

I don't think it's a good business practice any longer.

linny
10-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Angie,

I remember that a few years ago. Now that I think about it I believe it is illegal to do it in a lot of states.

davidtampien
10-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Some more ways to work from home and earn a decent money are -
1. writing
I personally think writing is a better option since you learn a lot in the profession writing about different topics. Its an interesting profession in my opinion.

William, thank you for your post. Your last comment raised an interesting question: How do YOU earn income directly from the writing profession? I know how we use writing in our blogs and adding content to websites etc. But was wondering if you use it in other ways that generate income?

David Tampien
Moses Lake, WA

davidtampien
10-10-2011, 11:07 PM
William, thank you for your response. I actually never thought of writing for someone else. I'll certainly look into that possibility.

simplefinds
10-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi David,

There are many websites that pay you for writing articles. You can register on such websites as an author and start writing articles. Its a good option for those looking for making money from home. You can earn anywhere between $40-$120 per article depending on the quality of the content that your provide.

This is a great idea:)

teamleber
10-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I mostly post ads online.
What you do sounds great!Keep it up!Wish you all the best!

123Marketing
10-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Very creative idea! I'd love to hear what your income average is after the cost of the printing and paying the "footmen". I would be sure ahead of time to check state/city laws where you have people posting.

I am a board member for | Forgotten Soldiers Outreach (http://www.forgottensoldiers.org). I had the idea several years ago of placing our brochure on the windshields of only cars that already had a 'we support the troops' magnet or sticker of some sort. A couple of our volunteers liked the idea and ran with it. There were so many cars in parking lots with support for the troops that they went through quite a bit. No tracking was done, so I can't tell you how successful it was.

davidtampien, William, thank you for your response. I actually never thought of writing for someone else. I'll certainly look into that possibility. . My full service business hires writers to write blog posts for our clients. We use Green Light Articles and other sites to write for them. Clients vary Neurologists to Pool Cleaners. So having one place to go is awesome. There are a lot of places you can become a writer. Odesk.com, Guru.com, elance.com, and more.

DebraFerrie
10-14-2011, 01:44 PM
You probably don't see the windshield wiper advertising much anymore because those placing them on cars can be fined a nice hefty fee. I remember a story YEARS ago where this one biz placed flyers on cars and the owner of the parking lot property found flyers all over the place (people taking them off their cars and throwing on the ground) and the biz owner was fined big time for that and had to come back and clean the mess up:)

I don't think it's a good business practice any longer.

yes, happened to someone I know.
SOME people do not like the flyers and toss them in the parking lot.
When they are found, if it has your company name on them, you CAN be fined as stated above. In this case, they were "caught" by the shopping center owner since there are no soliciting rules.
Same with mailboxes. Though we all get flyers here and there, some stickler mailpeople collect them and the culprit is fined. This happened to my brother with his landscaping flyers. He put out 1000 and had a fine for each one they collected ( more than half)

davidtampien
10-14-2011, 08:02 PM
davidtampien, . My full service business hires writers to write blog posts for our clients. We use Green Light Articles and other sites to write for them. Clients vary Neurologists to Pool Cleaners. So having one place to go is awesome. There are a lot of places you can become a writer. Odesk.com, Guru.com, elance.com, and more.

Thank you for the names of places to check out.

kroolic
04-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Wow this is such an awesome idea! Thank you so much for this info, I was just talking to a friend and she said she knows about it so we'll plan on doing the business

:D