WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Artisan

tweetykiss
07-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Has anyone ever worked for this company or gotten paid from them?

fiberfolly
07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Do you have a link for them? My google search did not come up with anything definitive. If it is an earring making scheme, I sent for the kit about 15 years ago but never followed through.

a_friend
07-23-2011, 04:35 PM
This is Artisan Corporation....I never tried them and never will. There was a news story on work at home companies on a local station and this company was the one they decided to experiment on. They ordered the kit and tried to make the earrings. They showed the completed earrings they had made and they did look like they were done well. However when they sent them in for inspection and got them back they did not pass. They submitted a new pair and those did not pass either. Then they decided to have someone the makes jewelry for a living for over 20 years make a pair. They sent in the pair she made and they didn't pass inspection. I would say draw your own conclusions. I'm not saying it's a scam and I'm not saying it's not....

tweetykiss
07-24-2011, 09:41 AM
I have been making jewelry for a long time too and I have made those type of earrings. I just wondered if people have gotten paid.

a_friend
07-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Do some google searches with this companies name...you will find a lot of information about them.

tweetykiss
07-26-2011, 07:46 AM
I now read a lot on this company and someone somewhere else posted it had a good review with BBB but when I clicked on that link, that page was gone. I don't believe everything BBB and Chamber of Commerce says though from my own personal experiece. It does seem that people get their work rejected but I have to call and find out if they work with you like some other crafting companies. I think Titan Chains and hands on hobbies may be enough to keep me busy. I am not going to call this company a scam though just because they reject work the first couple times. Although I am interested in knowing what they do with their products.

IllNevergiveup
07-29-2011, 08:13 PM
It's been a while, wow years and years ago (like 10 years) I did the earrings from artisan corp. I did not pass, and I have been doing tribal beading since I was a little girl. I saw over and over that they were a scam (after I lost out on my money of course). so it explains why I did not pass. Almost positive it's the same company the earrings on the site are the same ones. Hope this helps.

5525carin
08-03-2011, 05:48 PM
I tried them out several years ago. I can't even remember what I paid for the kit but I do remember the quality of the material was very poor. The beads weren't uniform in size, the thread frayed to easy and the actual earring part was cheap metal. I did not get approved and did not bother trying more than once. There is no way they are selling these at a high end boutique.

IllNevergiveup
08-03-2011, 10:23 PM
5525carin is right I remember that the beads were really crappy and so ununiform it was impossible to make the earings look even or lye flat for the dangles.

mnlady52
10-06-2011, 06:18 PM
got a starter kit from them over two years ago, never made the earrings. they looked too hard to make.

rmb
10-28-2011, 04:59 AM
I now read a lot on this company and someone somewhere else posted it had a good review with BBB but when I clicked on that link, that page was gone. I don't believe everything BBB and Chamber of Commerce says though from my own personal experiece. It does seem that people get their work rejected but I have to call and find out if they work with you like some other crafting companies. I think Titan Chains and hands on hobbies may be enough to keep me busy. I am not going to call this company a scam though just because they reject work the first couple times. Although I am interested in knowing what they do with their products.

How is it going for you with Titan and Hands on Hobbies? I keep considering Titan...
Thank you! :):):)

starlighthill
10-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm not Tweetykiss, but I am doing/trying both these offers. I have good luck with Titan. The help desk answers questions quickly and the staff are knowledgeable about how to make the bracelets. They seem genuinely interested in your success. I am now beginning my 4th lot.
I thought the belt from Hand on Hobbies would be easier than Titan's bracelets. The big problem is that they provide no assistance. Nobody I've spoken with there knows how to make one of these.
I was told that they just lay the belt on a table under strong light and look at it. Mine come back all twisted out of shape. They can give me no pointers on how to correct my mistakes. This will be my 4th try and I will have to pay $3 postage this time to get the belt back. They do not send fresh materials when you fail. The old belt must be taken apart and reknotted. The problem is that you no longer have it for comparison to see if the mistakes have been corrected.
Diane

rmb
10-29-2011, 06:46 AM
I'm not Tweetykiss, but I am doing/trying both these offers. I have good luck with Titan. The help desk answers questions quickly and the staff are knowledgeable about how to make the bracelets. They seem genuinely interested in your success. I am now beginning my 4th lot.
I thought the belt from Hand on Hobbies would be easier than Titan's bracelets. The big problem is that they provide no assistance. Nobody I've spoken with there knows how to make one of these.
I was told that they just lay the belt on a table under strong light and look at it. Mine come back all twisted out of shape. They can give me no pointers on how to correct my mistakes. This will be my 4th try and I will have to pay $3 postage this time to get the belt back. They do not send fresh materials when you fail. The old belt must be taken apart and reknotted. The problem is that you no longer have it for comparison to see if the mistakes have been corrected.
Diane

Thank you so much for the reply Diane! Your feedback is invaluable to me. I may have to give Titan a try. They sound like a reputable company, and it sounds like if you invest the time, that there may be a possibility to make some decent money. How long have you been working with Titan?

starlighthill
10-29-2011, 09:23 AM
You are most welcome:) I sent a sample of each style for review in August. After implementing their suggestions I sent my first lot in. When you get the supplies, it will seem impossible to fit the four ladders in Style 1 around the mandrel. It can be done. Just remember that those beginning loops will be big and misshapen. You will be cutting them off anyway, so they aren't that important. The chain will improve after those first loops.
Diane

rmb
10-31-2011, 04:25 AM
You are most welcome:) I sent a sample of each style for review in August. After implementing their suggestions I sent my first lot in. When you get the supplies, it will seem impossible to fit the four ladders in Style 1 around the mandrel. It can be done. Just remember that those beginning loops will be big and misshapen. You will be cutting them off anyway, so they aren't that important. The chain will improve after those first loops.
Diane

Thanks again Diane! I am looking forward to getting registered with them, which will be in about two weeks. I wish I could do it sooner, but my budget just won't allow it. I will definitely keep your advice in mind. It's very much appreciated! I'll keep you posted! :)

-Rene'

starlighthill
10-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Good luck Rene'. I hope you will enjoy making the bracelets!

rmb
11-01-2011, 03:59 AM
Good luck Rene'. I hope you will enjoy making the bracelets!

Thank you Diane! :)