WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

HealthyMomma
07-21-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey Everyone out there~

First of all Shaklee DOES NOT ever put artificial sweeteners in their products....just wanted to make that clear first and foremost! My question to all of you is what are your thoughts, concerns or ideas on them?

1. Do you feel they are harmless to the body? If so, why do you think this?
2. Do you think they are "poisonous" to the body? If so, please explain!
3. Are you Ok with health companies out there putting artificial sweeteners in their products? Why or why not?
5. Artificial Sweeteners or Sugar?
4. Other thoughts you might have on the subject?

Thanks for sharing.....my curiosity is killing me on this particular topic!!!!

happymommy
07-21-2011, 01:00 PM
I won't touch them. If a company uses them in a product, I won't use any of their products (even the ones that do not contain the artificial sweetener). It tells me that particular company's philosophy doesn't align with mine. I started using Shaklee products 5 years ago because I was searching for a hydration drink and protein shakes that didn't contain artificial sweeteners (or colors & flavors). I got very frustrated until I finally ran across Shaklee. :) Been a happy member ever since. I'll gladly take real sugar over fake any day. At least the body knows what to do with it!

LuvMK757
07-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I have to agree with happymommy! Give me real sugar..

udesignit
07-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Sugar is BAD BAD BAD! White sugar is also heavily processed. If you are interested in learning about the health risks associated with sugar, please refer to
Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods.

happymommy
07-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Sugar is BAD BAD BAD! White sugar is also heavily processed. If you are interested in learning about the health risks associated with sugar, please refer to
Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods.

I will gladly take a *moderate* amount of sugar over something artificial that my body doesn't recognize any day. I don't mean consume large quantities of it. That's not good either. I eat a pretty clean diet and prefer to sweeten with stevia, honey & molasses. There are plenty of natural alternatives. What upsets me most is companies that put artificial sweetener in KIDS products. I've seen it in soy milk, juice, kids' vitamins...places you wouldn't really think to check. Always read your labels if you're trying to avoid it!

HealthyMomma
07-25-2011, 10:54 AM
I will gladly take a *moderate* amount of sugar over something artificial that my body doesn't recognize any day. I don't mean consume large quantities of it. That's not good either. I eat a pretty clean diet and prefer to sweeten with stevia, honey & molasses. There are plenty of natural alternatives. What upsets me most is companies that put artificial sweetener in KIDS products. I've seen it in soy milk, juice, kids' vitamins...places you wouldn't really think to check. Always read your labels if you're trying to avoid it!

I completely agree with you, happymommy, that when we are talking about consumption of sugar we aren't talking about huge amounts of it we are simply talking about the breakdown or the absorption of one vs. the other in the body! Can the body figure out what to do with this substance or is it having to store it unnaturally since the molecule is too big or is unrecognizable and the body can't get rid of it? When a substance like aspartame, sucralose, etc. are linked back to things like seizures & cancers just to name a few then my "red" alerts go way up and it makes we think why would people consume these types of fake sugars? And above all how can companies that claim they are a health & wellness company produce such products that are linked to so much disease and are actually VERY unnatural and completely unsafe?

I again agree with you, happymommy, when it comes to our kids....KEEP THE "POISON" AWAY!!! Many families are unaware that the "yuck" is even in the product which again I think is such a tragedy. So definitely reading labels is the only way to go today. What ever happened to the "red & white" swirl that was put on all the products that had aspartame in them? This was so nice because then you knew to stay away from them!

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts too;)

udesignit
07-29-2011, 10:08 PM
My condemnation of sugar is NOT an endorsement for Artificial Sugar. Indeed, I stay away from it and read labels all the time. My point is that white sugar is also heavily processed and not good for you due to insulin response that it produces in the body. Yes, there are sugars (sucrose, fructose, etc). put in many products and Americans unknowingly are consuming large amounts sugar on a daily basis. Even fruit is harvested to be sweeter!

HealthyMomma
07-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Sounds good, Stella! Thanks for sharing great thoughts on sugar too ;) So glad we are ALL in agreement that artificial sweeteners are not a "healthy" option and definitely NOT in line with the Shaklee philosophy! Again it is really unfortunate that SO many supposed health & wellness companies are using these "poisonous" alternatives today. Shaklee will always find "natural" means for our products no matter what the cost and that IS the "Shaklee Difference"!

Speaking of artificial sweeteners and quite ironic but just today I got a call from a rep with Visalus Science telling me how much they've sold in 18 months etc. (really bragging to me) and then I asked her the "big" question of why they have artificial sweeteners in their product if they are "truly" a health & wellness company and she couldn't tell me. I explained to her that I have been in Shaklee for a really long time and Shaklee would never ever consider putting these poisons in our products because we care about people's health! The main reason for her call (which I get this a lot) is she said she found me online and is looking for other reps in other companies to make the switch. Obviously I'd NEVER switch because "I love Shaklee and all that we represent" but also because like Jenn had alluded to earlier I would never consider in a million years going with a company that doesn't care enough to produce "healthy" products that are different (other than what I can get out on the market) and DO NOT have unhealthy artificial sweeteners in their products! Shaklee's philosphy is like no other and I tell you the above story to just be aware of what is out there and know the difference and the great company that you represent ;)

Thanks for letting me share and thanks to all of you for sharing your "important" thoughts as well.......

happymommy
08-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Just wanted to mention, my comments aren't directed at any particular companies. Just my honest, personal feelings. I haven't used any artificial sweeteners in over 5 yrs when I made a big dietary change. It's just what I choose for myself & my family. I know many don't have an issue with it and that's fine. Each their own...But, I DO get frustrated when I find it in juice I bought for my kids, because I was in a hurry and forgot to read the label! :)

momamom
08-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I think artificial sweeteners are harmless in small quantities. But then again, even drinking gallons of water (which seems like a harmless substance at first) is not a good / healthy idea. Our bodies will process small quantities of food quite well, but the higher the dosage the harder the strain on the liver. If you have a healthy digestive system I don't see a reason why artificial sweeteners should cause any harm.

gkoinski
08-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I cringe and stay away from artificial sweeteners. That's my personal choice. Being a breast cancer patient, I am very careful about what I am putting in my body and on my skin.

DeeAmber
10-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Can you point me to a link with Shaklee ingredients? I want to know what's in the shakes.

happymommy
10-24-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm just a member and don't work the biz. Here's a link to the co site. You can click on the "labels" tab to pull up the ingredients. I think this is to the chocolate one:

Weight Management, Cinch? Chocolate Shake Mix, Canister (http://www.shaklee.com/products.php?sku=20341)

Take care!

LorettaA
10-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I stay clear of artificial sweeteners mostly because I can feel a difference in my body when I change how I eat/drink, including eliminating artificial sweeteners.

So whether it's good, bad or undetermined I prefer to feel good. :)

LillianRose
10-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Ingredients in meal replacement shakes seem to be a hot topic.

I think maybe the labels are not totally accurate. What is "artificial" and what is a "sugar substitute"

I guess when reduced to its simplest terms, if it is not actually pure cane sugar, it is a "sugar substitute."

So if you find packaging with anything but "sugar" it is using a "substitute." theoretically that includes hone, agave, fructose, corn syrup, molasses, or any sugar made from beets, corn etc. I don't think that is necessarily bad because some of these substitutes are better at keeping blood sugar level. Diabetics rely on these substitutes.

The question them becomes, is that substitute natural or artificial.

I think everyone on these forums agrees that artificial is bad...so what is natural?

My research into this took me to the various diabetes association websites. from that info, I learned that stevia is a great all natural substitute, along with agave, Xylitol, grain syrups, and Organic Zero.

I realize that it is more expensive to use these natural additives than the artificial ones but I think we are all worth it!