WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Purple Shark Transcription

Kassie
07-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Does anyone here work for this company or know anyone who does? I'd like some infor if possible. Thanks! smileys/smiley1.gif

TonTon
07-04-2005, 03:34 PM
LOL...I was just looking at them a little bit ago. Sheesh that English test is a bear that you have to take and I'm really good at English! Let me know if you find anything out :)

Kassie
07-04-2005, 04:01 PM
I wanted to get info before I attempted the test lol.

ceadamso
07-04-2005, 04:06 PM
I did the typing test and typed 88 WPM ... then applied. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

jnmurra
07-04-2005, 05:21 PM
I used to work for Purple Shark. The owner pays extremely well (the best I have seen yet), but, at the time, she didn't have steady work. That was over a year ago, so I don't know about now. She's a one woman show, so she does a lot of the work herself and usually uses people for overflow. That's how things used to be, anyway.

Don't forget to take thebrainbench tests because she requires, I believe, a Masters in the areas listed on her site before she will consider you.

Good luck! smileys/smiley1.gif

Kassie
07-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Maybe I am blind and missing something, but her site doesn't specify which brainbench tests to take....I'd like to get my resume in to her. Any help would be great. Thanks!smileys/smiley1.gif

TonTon
07-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Somewhere in the site it says that she is interested in the English Language and Typing scores (or something like that).

Hope this helps smileys/smiley1.gif

jnmurra
07-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Maybe I am blind and missing something, but her site doesn't specify which brainbench tests to take....I'd like to get my resume in to her. Any help would be great. Thanks!smileys/smiley1.gif

It's under Work for PST:

"Purple Shark is particularly interested in your typing speed and English vocabulary scores."

I *believe* that when I emailed her she told me she wanted Masters level scores. I honestly can't remember now, but I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, take the tests and if your scores and experience are what she's looking for, she'll definitely let you know smileys/smiley1.gif

Kassie
07-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Yeah I seen that part...but on the app there is only place for one Score card...or can you put two in there? I just thought there was a combo test or something that I was missing...lol All well, I'll just do them both. Maybe if she puts in the number it will bring up everything that I do...smileys/smiley1.gif

jnmurra
07-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah I seen that part...but on the app there is only place for one Score card...or can you put two in there? I just thought there was a combo test or something that I was missing...lol All well, I'll just do them both. Maybe if she puts in the number it will bring up everything that I do...smileys/smiley1.gif

Yep, enter your number from Brainbench into that box and she can go and look up what tests you took and your scores. Good luck!

Kassie
07-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Well good luck with that english test on benchmark lol. smileys/smiley18.gifUntil I took that I thought I had a decent vocaulary! Man, hopefully being in the 70th percentile or whatever I am in is high enough for her lol. Good luck to the rest of you! smileys/smiley1.gif

tmbdpb
07-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Are you all talking about the English Vocabulary test in Brainbench?

jazzy
07-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Anybody have the link?

Kassie
07-05-2005, 03:17 AM
Yes, the brainbench english test killed me lol. Well actually it was just some of the words. I guess my vocab isn't as wide as I once thought lol.

jnmurra: What score do you have to get to be at a "masters" level? Like what number is that?

IF you are wanting the link to Purple Shark, you can find it in the mommyessentials transcription folder. Sorry, I don't know it without going back in there and getting it and I just got done with an audio and don't wanna LOL. But go to www.mommyessentials.com (http://www.mommyessentials.com) and under jobs or employment, there is a transcription link that will take you to a long list of transcription companies and Purple Shark is near the bottom of the list somewhere. Thanks! smileys/smiley4.gif

jnmurra
07-06-2005, 09:47 AM
jnmurra: What score do you have to get to be at a "masters" level? Like what number is that?

I believe it is over 4.00. I wasn't sure if I already answered that in our PM's and I accidentally deleted ALL of my PMs (oops), so I couldn't doublecheck, but I wanted to make sure you got an answer smileys/smiley1.gifEdited by: jnmurra

lollaleeloo
08-31-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm just about to apply. I took the vocab test and you guys aren't kidding; it was worse than the SATs. Yikes! Luckily, I'm a fast typist, and a great big NERD smileys/smiley23.gif, so I did well on the tests, but I don't have any real experience beyond a couple of temp assignments while I was in school. My question is, what type of transcription equipment would I need to work there? I don't have anything except Express Scribe (which I love), but should I get a machine? If so, what kind?

My old job as a programmer got out-sourced smileys/smiley18.gif and now I'm scrambling around looking for work to support my family while I go back to school. It's nearly impossible to get a programming job now without a BS and I only have an AAS. Anyway, any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

08-31-2005, 06:09 PM
No equipment necessary, Express Scribe is fine, but the work is definitely not regular (see one of the posts above, which I think is accurate). You would only want to do Purple Shark in addition to other stuff.

lollaleeloo
08-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Oh, that is a relief. :D
This week has been nothing but applications and tests and research. Right now, I'm working on the Tiger Fish test trying to come up with a credible transcript for that focus group one. Ai-yi-yi. smileys/smiley22.gif

Anyway, I just have to remember to keep my eyes on the prize and keep plugging away. I'm looking at this as a test of stamina.smileys/smiley2.gif Edited by: lollaleeloo

adbullock
08-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Hmmm...I took the Brainbench test and it said I passed and could get
certified for three years. Is that what she wants or is it something
more? It didn't say anything about being a Master though.

08-31-2005, 08:58 PM
You'll have to look around more on the Brainbench site. It tells you what level you are.

sugar
09-01-2005, 09:59 AM
When you finish with the brainbench test it will say something to the effect of congratulations you passed at a master level. If you didn't pass at a master level it won't say anything about it.

LuvRkiddies
09-01-2005, 10:17 AM
What is the deal? How do you take the tests? It says you have to have a PIN or something? And I see a lot of tests, which ones do you need to take?

lollaleeloo
09-01-2005, 04:17 PM
I found the brainbench site to be a bit of a challenge to navigate myself. From the home page, hit <Individual Certification>, then <Sign Up and Take A Free Test Today>, then select the free test you want (i.e., Typing Speed and Accuracy), then select <Get Test>. If it's your first time, you have to go through the free registration process. Anyway, after you log in, there'll be an ad page where they offer you a subscription. If you don't want a subscription you select <No thanks. For now, I just want to purchase>. Don't worry, you won't be charged because it's free. If you have any energy left, go ahead and take the test.

HTH smileys/smiley1.gif

09-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to make a quick comment about PST, I sent Sharon an email about how to get on to the brainbench testing and well here is her reply.

I wanting to apply with your company, but I can not seem to get to the
> testing that you are requiring for me to take.
>
> Would I need a PIN to start taking the test? If so, could you please
> explain to me where I could get this? Maybe I am being to anxious, and overlooked
> something.
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration.
>
I'm sorry that you're having such difficulty, but considering the number
of typos in your inquiry, I'd suggest that you apply elsewhere.

Yes, I do admit I made a few errors. But this just really lets me know that she is pretty tough.smileys/smiley18.gif

Good luck to anyone who tries out! I am not knocking her or her company in any way, she does know what she wants and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I don't really blame her, you do want the best!!smileys/smiley2.gif

LuvRkiddies
09-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Ouch! That one hurt hu? I actually figured out how to take the test and I only got 60 wpm so I guess I either drop it, or practice cause she's not budgin'. smileys/smiley4.gif

Oh well, live and learn! Everyone have a good weekend!