PDA

View Full Version : Purple Shark Transcription

Kassie
07-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Does anyone here work for this company or know anyone who does? I'd like some infor if possible. Thanks! smileys/smiley1.gif

TonTon
07-04-2005, 02:34 PM
LOL...I was just looking at them a little bit ago. Sheesh that English test is a bear that you have to take and I'm really good at English! Let me know if you find anything out :)

Kassie
07-04-2005, 03:01 PM
I wanted to get info before I attempted the test lol.

ceadamso
07-04-2005, 03:06 PM
I did the typing test and typed 88 WPM ... then applied. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

jnmurra
07-04-2005, 04:21 PM
I used to work for Purple Shark. The owner pays extremely well (the best I have seen yet), but, at the time, she didn't have steady work. That was over a year ago, so I don't know about now. She's a one woman show, so she does a lot of the work herself and usually uses people for overflow. That's how things used to be, anyway.

Don't forget to take thebrainbench tests because she requires, I believe, a Masters in the areas listed on her site before she will consider you.

Good luck! smileys/smiley1.gif

Kassie
07-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Maybe I am blind and missing something, but her site doesn't specify which brainbench tests to take....I'd like to get my resume in to her. Any help would be great. Thanks!smileys/smiley1.gif

TonTon
07-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Somewhere in the site it says that she is interested in the English Language and Typing scores (or something like that).

Hope this helps smileys/smiley1.gif

jnmurra
07-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Maybe I am blind and missing something, but her site doesn't specify which brainbench tests to take....I'd like to get my resume in to her. Any help would be great. Thanks!smileys/smiley1.gif

It's under Work for PST:

"Purple Shark is particularly interested in your typing speed and English vocabulary scores."

I *believe* that when I emailed her she told me she wanted Masters level scores. I honestly can't remember now, but I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, take the tests and if your scores and experience are what she's looking for, she'll definitely let you know smileys/smiley1.gif

Kassie
07-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Yeah I seen that part...but on the app there is only place for one Score card...or can you put two in there? I just thought there was a combo test or something that I was missing...lol All well, I'll just do them both. Maybe if she puts in the number it will bring up everything that I do...smileys/smiley1.gif

jnmurra
07-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Yeah I seen that part...but on the app there is only place for one Score card...or can you put two in there? I just thought there was a combo test or something that I was missing...lol All well, I'll just do them both. Maybe if she puts in the number it will bring up everything that I do...smileys/smiley1.gif

Yep, enter your number from Brainbench into that box and she can go and look up what tests you took and your scores. Good luck!

Kassie
07-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Well good luck with that english test on benchmark lol. smileys/smiley18.gifUntil I took that I thought I had a decent vocaulary! Man, hopefully being in the 70th percentile or whatever I am in is high enough for her lol. Good luck to the rest of you! smileys/smiley1.gif

tmbdpb
07-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Are you all talking about the English Vocabulary test in Brainbench?

jazzy
07-05-2005, 12:38 AM
Anybody have the link?

Kassie
07-05-2005, 02:17 AM
Yes, the brainbench english test killed me lol. Well actually it was just some of the words. I guess my vocab isn't as wide as I once thought lol.

jnmurra: What score do you have to get to be at a "masters" level? Like what number is that?

IF you are wanting the link to Purple Shark, you can find it in the mommyessentials transcription folder. Sorry, I don't know it without going back in there and getting it and I just got done with an audio and don't wanna LOL. But go to www.mommyessentials.com (http://www.mommyessentials.com) and under jobs or employment, there is a transcription link that will take you to a long list of transcription companies and Purple Shark is near the bottom of the list somewhere. Thanks! smileys/smiley4.gif

jnmurra
07-06-2005, 08:47 AM
jnmurra: What score do you have to get to be at a "masters" level? Like what number is that?

I believe it is over 4.00. I wasn't sure if I already answered that in our PM's and I accidentally deleted ALL of my PMs (oops), so I couldn't doublecheck, but I wanted to make sure you got an answer smileys/smiley1.gifEdited by: jnmurra

lollaleeloo
08-31-2005, 05:00 PM
I'm just about to apply. I took the vocab test and you guys aren't kidding; it was worse than the SATs. Yikes! Luckily, I'm a fast typist, and a great big NERD smileys/smiley23.gif, so I did well on the tests, but I don't have any real experience beyond a couple of temp assignments while I was in school. My question is, what type of transcription equipment would I need to work there? I don't have anything except Express Scribe (which I love), but should I get a machine? If so, what kind?

My old job as a programmer got out-sourced smileys/smiley18.gif and now I'm scrambling around looking for work to support my family while I go back to school. It's nearly impossible to get a programming job now without a BS and I only have an AAS. Anyway, any tips would be helpful. Thanks.

08-31-2005, 05:09 PM
No equipment necessary, Express Scribe is fine, but the work is definitely not regular (see one of the posts above, which I think is accurate). You would only want to do Purple Shark in addition to other stuff.

lollaleeloo
08-31-2005, 05:27 PM
Oh, that is a relief. :D
This week has been nothing but applications and tests and research. Right now, I'm working on the Tiger Fish test trying to come up with a credible transcript for that focus group one. Ai-yi-yi. smileys/smiley22.gif

Anyway, I just have to remember to keep my eyes on the prize and keep plugging away. I'm looking at this as a test of stamina.smileys/smiley2.gif Edited by: lollaleeloo

adbullock
08-31-2005, 07:30 PM
Hmmm...I took the Brainbench test and it said I passed and could get
certified for three years. Is that what she wants or is it something
more? It didn't say anything about being a Master though.

08-31-2005, 07:58 PM
You'll have to look around more on the Brainbench site. It tells you what level you are.

sugar
09-01-2005, 08:59 AM
When you finish with the brainbench test it will say something to the effect of congratulations you passed at a master level. If you didn't pass at a master level it won't say anything about it.

LuvRkiddies
09-01-2005, 09:17 AM
What is the deal? How do you take the tests? It says you have to have a PIN or something? And I see a lot of tests, which ones do you need to take?

lollaleeloo
09-01-2005, 03:17 PM
I found the brainbench site to be a bit of a challenge to navigate myself. From the home page, hit <Individual Certification>, then <Sign Up and Take A Free Test Today>, then select the free test you want (i.e., Typing Speed and Accuracy), then select <Get Test>. If it's your first time, you have to go through the free registration process. Anyway, after you log in, there'll be an ad page where they offer you a subscription. If you don't want a subscription you select <No thanks. For now, I just want to purchase>. Don't worry, you won't be charged because it's free. If you have any energy left, go ahead and take the test.

HTH smileys/smiley1.gif

09-01-2005, 03:26 PM
Hello Everyone!

Just wanted to make a quick comment about PST, I sent Sharon an email about how to get on to the brainbench testing and well here is her reply.

I wanting to apply with your company, but I can not seem to get to the
> testing that you are requiring for me to take.
>
> Would I need a PIN to start taking the test? If so, could you please
> explain to me where I could get this? Maybe I am being to anxious, and overlooked
> something.
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration.
>
I'm sorry that you're having such difficulty, but considering the number
of typos in your inquiry, I'd suggest that you apply elsewhere.

Yes, I do admit I made a few errors. But this just really lets me know that she is pretty tough.smileys/smiley18.gif

Good luck to anyone who tries out! I am not knocking her or her company in any way, she does know what she wants and there is nothing wrong with that. In fact, I don't really blame her, you do want the best!!smileys/smiley2.gif

LuvRkiddies
09-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Ouch! That one hurt hu? I actually figured out how to take the test and I only got 60 wpm so I guess I either drop it, or practice cause she's not budgin'. smileys/smiley4.gif

Oh well, live and learn! Everyone have a good weekend!