WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : 2nd and 3rd shfit care

mharkey
05-18-2011, 06:19 AM
I wanted to connect with anyone who did 2 and 3rd shift care to see how successful you were with it and what type of activities and services are offered. What is the typical rate? Thanks much.

MamaPigg
05-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi Mharky, When I started in this business I offered 24 hr care. As a daycare provider, consider the impact on your family and home life and structure your business policies accordingly.

For example: if you will need to take the DCK's to your own children's sporting events or practices, put this information in your policy handbook and be prepared to answer parents questions regarding safety on these "field trips" as I called them, since they were all "child friendly".

It's also important to consider the fees you will charge. This is a premium service and you shouldn't sell yourself short.

In my area, it's typical to charge a certain rate for the time at the daycare that if after "normal hours" [ie] after 5:30/6:30pm depending on what is normally offered. and then, charge an additional rate if hours are needed during normal hours (approx 7:30-5:30 depending on your area or your preference).

For example, if a parent needs care from 2pm until midnight, I charged a part time "day" rate from 2-5:30 and a different, full time night time rate was added for the care from 5:30-midnight.

Let me know if you have any more questions.... I offered 24 hour care for 4 years, After that I offered care from 4:30am until 5:30pm for 3 more years.

Maybe some other providers have done this too and can offer some suggestions.