WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Unkle_Jessie
02-26-2011, 09:25 PM
My wife and I are looking to join with a candle company, we have access to a pretty large number of potential clients possibly downline members.. HOWEVER, we have some reservations.. We are in the North Ga area and wonder if there's any way to tell how many others in our general area are repping candle companies. We are looking at a few companies in particular... For Every Home, and Scentsy, Soylicious to name a few.. and still considering others. This is something that we don't want to get into not knowing there's multiple reps in our area, so we are doing our homework prior to making any commitment. This is mainly going to be hers, although I don't mind helping along the way. Personally we burn candles and have melting pots so we do both and are kinda leaning toward a company that offers both, however, my wife went to a Scentsy party yesterday and was impressed with them, so I don't know, it's still early in the process. The other things we are looking at is.. monthly/quarterly minimums, website fee's if any, your basic operating costs. That all is very important because she works full time and is a nursing student as well, so there may be times where she can't be as active as others due to the demands of work and school.

Thanks !

BurningBelief
02-27-2011, 04:48 AM
Hello there and welcome to the candle forum, I have sent you a pm :)

BringingRomanceHome
02-27-2011, 05:15 AM
Hello! First, I wanted to say I applaud you for doing your "homework". There are so many companies with great qualities, but everyone needs to find their perfect "fit". Not all companies are the perfect "fit" for everyone.

I would love to give you some more information about For Every Home. Here are the most frequently asked questions I'm asked:

* What is the start up cost? The kit is $99.99 (free shipping) it includes catalogs, business materials, free website, full size products and over 100 samples with a trendy insulated bag to carry them in. However, in February you can join with only $50 then in 37 days pay the other $50 OR if you can gather $400 in retail sales in those 37 days, you can FORGET the second payment!

* Does the consultant have to carry inventory? No, you do not have to carry inventory unless you want to but I have a few items on hand for show and when I do vendor tables.

* Is there a qualification period, if so, what are the reprecussions for not meeting it? We do not have any quotas that you have to meet. The only time a quota is involved is if you are wanting commission from your downline. The only penalty is that you will not receive your downline commission if you have a downline.

* What is the commission schedule & are commissions paid on full retail? You receive 25% off retail price up front when you order. If you receive commissions, it can be applied toward your future orders or sent as a check.

* Do you get paid the night of the party or do you have to wait for a check? When you put in your order you receive your discount automatically, so sell as retail and order as wholesale .

* Are there minimum sales requirements? No we have no minimums to purchase.

* Are host credits paid for by the company or by the consultant? The hostess credits are paid by the company.

* Are orders shipped to the consultant, or are they shipped directly to the host/guests? You can choose to have the orders shipped to you or to the hostess or guests. It is your choice.

* What are the monthly fees and what do they cover? We have no monthly fees and the website you receive with the kit is free! There is an annual fee of $30

* Do you need a merchant account to process credit cards? No, you can process credit cards right in your back office in the party order.

* Is there a COTM program required? We have a program that is called Club Fashion Fragrance where you can receive $55-$60 worth of products for only $33.50 a month to the consultant but it is not a requirement.

* Are trainings & meetings mandatory? To be successful, it is encouraged to attend weekly trainings and meetings. It is not mandatory but it keeps you up to date on what is going on within the company, get tips on how to make your business successful, learn about new products, etc.

You can visit For Every Home's website to see how many consultants are in your area by entering your zip code. However, because there are no requirements, minimums and monthly fees, there are many "consultants" who are not actively working their businesses. I also look at things this way, if there are other candle company consultants in your area, can they really take care of everyone in your area?

Good luck in your search!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me at MyFragranceFrenzy@gmail.com or visit my website Michelle Bomia ? The Innovative Fashion Fragrance Company (http://www.foreveryhome.net/mbomia)

Michelle Bomia
Independent Consultant
For Every Home

mommy2005
02-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Hello There!

I have some Scentsy info for you!

I looked at the map and there are only 1270 consultants in Georgia. That is a small number compared to other states like my own. We have 18,000 in Texas and I'm still doing well. So, there is a lot of growth potential for you. Remember, only about 1/3 of consultants actually work their business. Some people just join for the discount or to sell to friends and family.

The start-up costs are $99 for the kit and you get well over $400 dollars in product. There's also enough business supplies for at least 5 parties.

You earn 20% on sales right away and once you reach $1000 in culmulative sales, you can start earning 25%. You only need $150 in three months to remain active, but the $150 has to be all in one month. I've been with Scentsy over a year and have never had a month below $150 (which is only 3 or 4 orders). It's very easy to acheive. We are paid once a month on the 10th.

One of the great things about Scentsy is the quota you need once you build a team. I know most companies require $1000 month in sales to be a Director, not Scentsy. You only ever need to earn $500 a month to collect the extra pecentages. Really important to consider!

Business supplies are inexpensive. It's about $14 for 50 catalogs and $20 for 100 order forms. There are also on sale during transition when the new catalogs come out. The website and newletter are free for the first three months, then $10/month afterwards. The company takes care of the hostess benefits for us.

I do home parties and basket parties. I worked for another direct sales company before Scentsy. Let me tell you having home parties with Scentsy is much easier. There are NO presentations. I turn on a warmer and set the testers out, that's it! Once everyone starts smelling, the party runs itself. Basket parties is a great option to make money, especially if you are busy. I have a tote filled with mini scent testers (you buy them from Scentsy), catalogs, and order forms. People can take them to work, friends, and family. They collect the orders for a about week or two and give it back to you. It's easy and a great way to promote your business.

Another great thing is you don't have to keep inventory, but you can if you like. I always have something on hand because my customers always need last minute gifts. Plus, you can do fairs with cash and carry. I do very well with this because most people know Scentsy. I gain leads and new customers this way.

One of the greatest benefits of Scentsy is there are only a few products. It makes selling and knowing your business so much easier. There's not as much to take to parties, either.

One last thought--never forget the importance of customer service! I've gained many customers who had ordered before, but their consultant didn't follow up with them. I answer every e-mail, call and text right away. They know I'm available 24/7. I also offer my own specials for my best customers. It makes a huge difference!

I hope I helped to answer your questions! Let me know, if you have any more. I'm here to help! You are already showing you are going to be good consutlants by researching and asking questions.

Good luck!
Becky Kuzma
Independent Scentsy Lead Consulant
www.nowickwarmers.com

FlickerScents
02-27-2011, 07:23 AM
I just sent a PM to you. And in addition to a great flameless and flamed candles we offer an exclusive line of Mineral Makeup and Skin Care. It gives you several avenues to work at the same time.

Hello There!

I have some Scentsy info for you!

I looked at the map and there are only 1270 consultants in Georgia. That is a small number compared to other states like my own. We have 18,000 in Texas and I'm still doing well. So, there is a lot of growth potential for you. Remember, only about 1/3 of consultants actually work their business. Some people just join for the discount or to sell to friends and family.

The start-up costs are $99 for the kit and you get well over $400 dollars in product. There's also enough business supplies for at least 5 parties.

You earn 20% on sales right away and once you reach $1000 in culmulative sales, you can start earning 25%. You only need $150 in three months to remain active, but the $150 has to be all in one month. I've been with Scentsy over a year and have never had a month below $150 (which is only 3 or 4 orders). It's very easy to acheive. We are paid once a month on the 10th.

One of the great things about Scentsy is the quota you need once you build a team. I know most companies require $1000 month in sales to be a Director, not Scentsy. You only ever need to earn $500 a month to collect the extra pecentages. Really important to consider!

Business supplies are inexpensive. It's about $14 for 50 catalogs and $20 for 100 order forms. There are also on sale during transition when the new catalogs come out. The website and newletter are free for the first three months, then $10/month afterwards. The company takes care of the hostess benefits for us.

I do home parties and basket parties. I worked for another direct sales company before Scentsy. Let me tell you having home parties with Scentsy is much easier. There are NO presentations. I turn on a warmer and set the testers out, that's it! Once everyone starts smelling, the party runs itself. Basket parties is a great option to make money, especially if you are busy. I have a tote filled with mini scent testers (you buy them from Scentsy), catalogs, and order forms. People can take them to work, friends, and family. They collect the orders for a about week or two and give it back to you. It's easy and a great way to promote your business.

Another great thing is you don't have to keep inventory, but you can if you like. I always have something on hand because my customers always need last minute gifts. Plus, you can do fairs with cash and carry. I do very well with this because most people know Scentsy. I gain leads and new customers this way.

One of the greatest benefits of Scentsy is there are only a few products. It makes selling and knowing your business so much easier. There's not as much to take to parties, either.

One last thought--never forget the importance of customer service! I've gained many customers who had ordered before, but their consultant didn't follow up with them. I answer every e-mail, call and text right away. They know I'm available 24/7. I also offer my own specials for my best customers. It makes a huge difference!

I hope I helped to answer your questions! Let me know, if you have any more. I'm here to help! You are already showing you are going to be good consutlants by researching and asking questions.

Good luck!
Becky Kuzma
Independent Scentsy Lead Consulant
www.nowickwarmers.com

My wife and I are looking to join with a candle company, we have access to a pretty large number of potential clients possibly downline members.. HOWEVER, we have some reservations.. We are in the North Ga area and wonder if there's any way to tell how many others in our general area are repping candle companies. We are looking at a few companies in particular... For Every Home, and Scentsy, Soylicious to name a few.. and still considering others. This is something that we don't want to get into not knowing there's multiple reps in our area, so we are doing our homework prior to making any commitment. This is mainly going to be hers, although I don't mind helping along the way. Personally we burn candles and have melting pots so we do both and are kinda leaning toward a company that offers both, however, my wife went to a Scentsy party yesterday and was impressed with them, so I don't know, it's still early in the process. The other things we are looking at is.. monthly/quarterly minimums, website fee's if any, your basic operating costs. That all is very important because she works full time and is a nursing student as well, so there may be times where she can't be as active as others due to the demands of work and school.

Thanks !

FlickerScents
02-27-2011, 07:27 AM
I just sent a PM to you. And in addition to a great flameless and flamed candles we offer an exclusive line of Mineral Makeup and Skin Care. It gives you several avenues to work at the same time.

christyvw2004
02-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Good luck in your choice--which ever it is.
I will tell you that when I went to Scentsy convention in Denver I was amazed at the number of husband/wife teams. Having a supportive spouse I think is great (mine sure is) but the "team" concept seems to be a good for scentsy also. I even met a husband/wife team at our little "mini convention" who were doing good.
Not only does the scent appeal to men, but I think they are also very aware of the safty feature scentsy offers.
Good luck.

Thanks !

shopcandlespa
02-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello,

It's nice to meet you! I just sent you some information about our company Gold Canyon. I look forward to hearing from you. Hope you have a great day!

luvthttabby
02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi Unkle_Jessie. I love FEH because we do have variety in offering 100% soy cubes as well as candles. We also have warmers that you can warm the cubes along with the option to take off the bowl and warm our candles! I have a thread under our For Every Home folder called "Just the Facts!" that will give you much more information about our company, quotas, etc.

If you'd like to know how many consultants are in your area, please visit foreveryhome.net, click on 'Host a Party', then 'Find a consultant near you' link then search for consultant by zip code. This will bring up all the FEH consultants, if any, that are in your area or surrounding.

Michelle is one of my team members who just joined about a month ago and she is doing fabulous! We are all like family and assist each other anyway we can to be successful. Good luck in your new candle venture!

LAscents
03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
With regard to number of consultants in a particular area, statistics tell you what you want them to tell you. In the case of Scentsy, any consultant has access to our consultant only newsletter which lists raw numbers as of our previous month of numbers. As of today, stats are available to us from Dec. 1, 2010. January and February are traditionally big recruiting months so any number we provide now will likely be higher today than reported. We're still experiencing growth in both sales and recruiting, so even if you factor in those lost through attrition, we'll still be at a higher number than reported.

Also, those are raw numbers. It doesn't tell us how many are actually working it as a business, how many a part time, periodic consultants and how many are mainly personal users. Because we don't have a monthly minimum, it's difficult to tell how many of those listed are active. (Active for us means they've placed $150 in that particular month) and how many are dormant on any given month.

Another factor to consider is just because a consultant is located in a particular state does not necessarily mean that's where s/he is doing the brunt of their business. For example, I am from Michigan, yet I have zero customers in Michigan. My customers are from all across the country - which tells us that either they simply choose to avoid working with a consultant and order online, or they don't know any consultants or they aren't being serviced well by local consultants.

We don't have the ability to break down the numbers by geographic regions, simply by entire states. You can go to scentsy.com, click on Find a Consultant - but that will only give you the five closest consultants to any given address, which isn't effective in answering your question.

Lastly, GA outpaced the nation in population over the last decade. Based on your reported population of 9,687,653 and the raw numbers of consultants of reported as of December of 1270 there are far less than 1% represented - 0.013 percent to be exact - hardly a threat to anyone wanting to work Scentsy as a business.

AletheaAnderson
03-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Greetings Unkle Jessie,

I wanted to share with you some more information on the number of reps in a given area within your same company (or even same industry). When I first got involved in Direct Sales nearly 20 years ago I was taught to ask this question, however when I was considering joining a company nearly a decade ago someone really put it into perspective for me, and it made total sense.

When I asked "how many reps are in my area"?

He replied with "What is the closest major town to you?"

I responded with "Carson City"

He said "How many McDonald's are in Carson City?"

I thought about it for a moment and realized that within a 5 mile stretch of Highway 50 there were 5 McDonald's. PLUS there were McDonald's in the 2 WalMart stores on either side of town... When I told him this he asked "are they all always busy?"

"Well, yes...they are!" I responded. Then he said "and there are also Burger Kings, In and Out Burgers, Arby's, Wendy's etc... and they are all busy, yes?"

So perhaps you see where I am going? No matter how much 'competition' there is out there, there are enough people who will choose YOU to do business with. They can choose from lots of people, but this industry is about building relationships. People will want to work with YOU and your WIFE because of who you are, your excellent customer service, etc... Yes, there will be other reps, but you build the relationships with your customers.

For instance I know at least 10 reps within a certain cosmetic company, I purchase from the one who provides me the best customer service. She stays in contact with me, sends me catalogs, includes me in her newsletters, so I choose her services because she is there with the best business practices :)

So whichever company you choose, providing the best customer service will determine how many customers choose YOU!

Have an amazing day!

DebraFerrie
03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes, "saturation " is a myth and even if there were 10 reps in my neighborhood, I'd join something I wanted to join.

Think of all the different people we encounter during a typical week.

You can do well when you put work into it, take action steps and commit.

Not everyone who is a rep really works their business.

When I was new rep trainer for Avon, I'd call new reps at 6 and 12 weeks after they started. Some complained they can't "get customers". Meanwhile others had $700 orders every 2 weeks. And one went on to be a high seller and a senior leader within 4 years , speaking nationally, to thousands and thousands of reps.

Pick a company that excites you and GO FOR IT!:)

AvParties4u
03-28-2011, 11:20 AM
I think it's wonderful that you are taking the time to do your research. There are so many great candle companies out there. Good luck to you with finding the right candle company for you. :)

iScentU
04-16-2011, 11:22 AM
If you are wanting to be the only one in the area try iScentU. We are a new start up and feature the Scienter line of lampes and fragrances. These type of lamps are very popular in the Southeast.