WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Work on SpeechInk

Mamaw
11-16-2010, 07:11 AM
If you're slow on QuickTate.

For those of you who dabble in SpeechInk there is a bunch of work today. A lot of non-verbatim earnings type calls. They're from some very interesting places, Home Depot, Arby's just to name a few.

SpeechInk does transcriptions in 3 minute 'hits'. You must access them through MTurk. It's a good opportunity for those of you with little ones that you can not sit through more than a few minutes at a time.

You get paid immediately upon accepted review. HOWEVER, this pay is through Amazon (as opposed to PayPal). So make sure you're set up through Amazon payments.

Just thought y'all would like to know.

Mam-maw

danswifee
11-16-2010, 07:37 AM
I just recently signed up for SpeechInk and it's wonderful! Takes a little getting used to but I like it a lot more than Quicktate. I've made about $100 this past week, seems like they only get calls Monday through Friday but that's okay - it's pretty consistent and the calls give you enough time to try and get them done the right way. If you haven't checked it out, you really should!! :o

Mamaw
11-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks for your comment. Are you on their mailing list about the non-verbatim? If you're not I can make sure they add you.

They're expecting ALOT of non-verbatim today. So if your fingers are warmed up jump on. ****'s Sporting goods is one of the hits so far today.

Mam-maw

bcsellew
11-16-2010, 08:53 AM
OK, have a question. I was trying to take the qualification test for Speechink and the speech is very clear, no problem but as I go down the page everytime I pause or do anything the screen keeps scrolling up so I can't see where I'm at. Can anyone help, I want to complete this but it's making me nuts.

Cyndi318
11-16-2010, 10:51 AM
OK, have a question. I was trying to take the qualification test for Speechink and the speech is very clear, no problem but as I go down the page everytime I pause or do anything the screen keeps scrolling up so I can't see where I'm at. Can anyone help, I want to complete this but it's making me nuts.

That happens on all the transcriptions, not just the qualification file, sorry. I download all of them and key onto a Word doc, then copy and paste back onto the "transcribe now" page. It frees you up to use Express Scribe or whatever you prefer. The downside: Word's auto corrections do not transfer properly, so you have to turn them off or be VERY accurate. They look good onscreen, but turn to gibberish when the reviewer gets them. I can't speak for the download/upload option, never used it. I just copy & paste. HTH

Scottsgirl
11-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Just applied and got a score of 84. Can I retake the test to get an 85? Looks like that's what I need to do any work for them. Do they generally have work available to do?

Cyndi318
11-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Just applied and got a score of 84. Can I retake the test to get an 85? Looks like that's what I need to do any work for them. Do they generally have work available to do?

There is an option to retake the test to improve your qualification score, so I imagine you'd be able to retake it for an initial passing score. I can't say for sure, though - try requesting the qualification again.

Work is pretty readily available Monday through Friday, the majority of which is uploaded and ready to go in the afternoon - usually 1 PM or later (speaking for EST here). The files are available on a first come, first served basis, but if you've got the time to grab what you can get, it's worth $100 or so a week. Best of luck to you!

Scottsgirl
11-16-2010, 04:37 PM
There is an option to retake the test to improve your qualification score, so I imagine you'd be able to retake it for an initial passing score. I can't say for sure, though - try requesting the qualification again.

Work is pretty readily available Monday through Friday, the majority of which is uploaded and ready to go in the afternoon - usually 1 PM or later (speaking for EST here). The files are available on a first come, first served basis, but if you've got the time to grab what you can get, it's worth $100 or so a week. Best of luck to you!

Thank you, Cyndi! Looks like I can take a "practice job" to improve my score. Will try again tomorrow - glad to hear there is usually work available. Gotta do something to supplement other gigs - mortgage isn't paying itself lol

honey_mocha
11-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Hello,

Where exactly is the qualification test for them?

Thank you!

Mamaw
11-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I've been working for them and can't remember how I got to the qualification test.

I think there is a button on the upper right of the 'hit' that says ask for a qualification? I know if you take the insurance guide on SpeechInk : Home : Fast, Affordable And Accurate Transcription Services (http://www.speechink.com) and follow it for the test you will pass with flying colors!.

They have hits right now up to $1.43 for 3.3 minutes. Financial conference.

Carol
Mam-maw

Mamaw
11-16-2010, 06:33 PM

I have this issue on Internet Explorer. I use word and then cut and paste into the square. BUT if you do it on Mozilla - it works perfect and you have spellcheck also. Same goes if you do ClariTrans on MTurk.

They have one financial that went up to $1.43 for 3.3 minutes tonight. They're getting a lot of work and need transcribers.

Cyndi318
11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Hello,

Where exactly is the qualification test for them?

Thank you!

If you do a search within mturk for all jobs containing speechink, you'll see all the hits available and the qualification test link is on every hit. It's a pretty easy test, but good luck nonetheless!

danswifee
11-16-2010, 09:34 PM
I know if you go to the MTurk site and search for their work, it will tell you if you qualify or not. If you don't, it will have a link on each call that says, something like, take the qualification test now - or it'll have a link that says "why".. Click on either one of those and it should tell you how to get to where you need to go.

I've made about 120.00 in the past 6 days or so. Not too bad for a newbie here.. The format can be tricky, verbatim can be tricky too but hang with it, don't give up, it's really not that bad once you get the swing of it. 100% BETTER than Quicktate. Good luck people!! =)

bcsellew
11-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks Mamaw, I didn't think about trying Mozilla. I'll try that. I'm only trying to earn about $10 a day and I'm getting very frustrated with Quicktate so maybe I'll switch to SpeechInk for a while.

tolove
11-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Hi-How much is it to join?
thank you.
katie w

fabbypink
11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
this is good. thanks for the info! can someone send the link on how to sign up and get started? thanks :)

dolly3186
11-17-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the information! I just recently got my internet back after not having it for a while, so I'm eager to start back to work. I've been doing QT, but the calls have been so slow and the money is not worth it to me anymore.

I'm definitely going to check this information out! Love all you ladies on WAHM! :)

utsarah
11-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the information. I did MTURK several years ago for extra Christmas money and I liked it. I will have to check out this particular HIT.

Cyndi318
11-18-2010, 10:33 AM
tolove - There is no cost to join, just a quick registration process at Amazon. You will also need an Amazon payments account. You'll be guided through the process, all of which takes about 10 minutes.

fabbypink - start here: https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

The qualification test is pretty easy, just follow the guidelines here: SpeechInk : You transcribe on your time. We pay competative rates. (http://www.speechink.com/transcribers/insurance_quickstart)

I believe the test is auto-graded as I received my results via e-mail about 5 minutes after completing it.

Minimum amounts at Amazon payments are: $10.00 for transfer to a bank account, $1.00 for gift card purchases at Amazon.com.

FYI on payments: I use four different banks and have transferred funds to each one to see how long it takes to actually get the funds. At all four, the transfer was complete and funds were available in 24 hours. Pretty awesome turn-around time, if you ask me.

Any other questions should be answered on the websites, but if not, just ask here or send a PM. Be patient with me; I forget to log in sometimes. But someone will answer on the board, no doubt. Mamaw's got the lowdown. :D

If you're willing and able to navigate the BS, there are other legitimate HITs on mTurk that I've used to make $12.00-15.00 or so in an hour's time without too much effort. The pay per HIT is low, but I can fly through them. Besides, now and then, I just need a change of pace.

Best of luck to you all!

barbaraedwr
11-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi..If you don't have a bank account, can you have it put into a debit card, such as a child support debit card? Thank you.

fabbypink
11-19-2010, 02:02 AM
thank you cyndi! btw, how do we get non-verbatim audios from speechink? i only get verbatim files and most of their audios are not clear...

shuckers
11-19-2010, 07:15 AM
Anyone type for Claritrans and how does the pay compare to SpeechInk? Thanks for any input.

dolly3186
11-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know how long your work takes to get reviewed and accepted to receive payment? It's been over a full day for me and I haven't been credited yet. I don't mind waiting...just curious. :)

Cyndi318
11-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Barbara - Sorry, I have no idea about the debit card idea. I don't remember seeing anything about it being an option, but you could certainly check into the Amazon Payments website to find out.

fabbypink - Head over to SpeechInk : You transcribe on your time. We pay competative rates. (http://www.speechink.com/transcribers) and click on "become a transcriber." That's the only thing I've done aside from registering at Amazon and I receive e-mail notices when there are non-verbatim or priority hits coming in. I assume that's the reason I get 'em. Well, sometimes I get 'em... I get a lot of junk mail. :) Sorry to hear about the audio problems you're having. The ones I preview are really good or really bad, so I totally understand. Don't give up on those insurance calls! Most of them are pretty clear.

shuckers - I don't know a thing about Claritrans. Come back and let us know what you find out!

dolly - the majority of my HITs have been reviewed/paid within 2 to 3 days and are available for withdrawal. I've had a couple (maybe 1 of every 50 at most) that have slipped through the cracks for 3 to 4 weeks, but don't be alarmed, that's not the norm. I can't speak with certainty, but I'm anticipating delays on the HITs I've done recently simply because there are literally hundreds of files sitting in the queue waiting for review. I don't recall seeing that many stacked up before, but still am not concerned. It won't be too long.

Good luck, ladies!

fabbypink
11-19-2010, 11:35 PM
thank you cyndi!!!

Barbara - Sorry, I have no idea about the debit card idea. I don't remember seeing anything about it being an option, but you could certainly check into the Amazon Payments website to find out.

fabbypink - Head over to SpeechInk : You transcribe on your time. We pay competative rates. (http://www.speechink.com/transcribers) and click on "become a transcriber." That's the only thing I've done aside from registering at Amazon and I receive e-mail notices when there are non-verbatim or priority hits coming in. I assume that's the reason I get 'em. Well, sometimes I get 'em... I get a lot of junk mail. :) Sorry to hear about the audio problems you're having. The ones I preview are really good or really bad, so I totally understand. Don't give up on those insurance calls! Most of them are pretty clear.

shuckers - I don't know a thing about Claritrans. Come back and let us know what you find out!

dolly - the majority of my HITs have been reviewed/paid within 2 to 3 days and are available for withdrawal. I've had a couple (maybe 1 of every 50 at most) that have slipped through the cracks for 3 to 4 weeks, but don't be alarmed, that's not the norm. I can't speak with certainty, but I'm anticipating delays on the HITs I've done recently simply because there are literally hundreds of files sitting in the queue waiting for review. I don't recall seeing that many stacked up before, but still am not concerned. It won't be too long.

Good luck, ladies!

Cyndi318
11-20-2010, 12:49 PM
thank you cyndi!!!

You are more than welcome, and I truly hope I've been helpful. Someone here - you know who you are! - has guided me everytme I've reached out and I'm all about paying it forward. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. :D

utsarah
11-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the helpful links Cyndi. I am busy on another egg for the time being, but it is ALWAYS to good to have alternatives.

sms46030
11-21-2010, 11:16 PM
Anyone type for Claritrans and how does the pay compare to SpeechInk? Thanks for any input.

I have worked for Claritrans. You want to be sure to read their guideline and stick to. I did work for them yesterday and has already received payment. They always pay within hours. I enjoy working for them. SpeechInk also pay pretty fast, but not as fast as Claritrans. SpeechInk is mostly verbatim. I have been working with them for about a year. I enjoy doing the insurance interviews. The coordinators are awesome to work with. They are very helpful. In fact, I got most of my experience and training from them. I just wished the pay was a little higher.

barbaraedwr
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM

Good luck, ladies!

Thanks much!!!! Good luck to you also :)

tannilisa
12-13-2010, 07:45 AM
I signed up with Speechink and took the test, I got an 85 but it seems like I don't qualify for most of the work? I tried to request to re-take the test but it keeps coming back with "you already submitted this test" and will not let me re-take it so I'm confused lol, is there something I'm missing?

Kittikity
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
If your search for 'practice' there should be some transcriptions from SpeechInk where you can practice and raise your score.. You still get paid for them, but I don't think they're as much as the regular ones..

I've also done ones for Claritrans.. Used to do them all the time.. Then suddenly a bunch of mine got rejected and I got blocked from doing Claritrans HITs at all.. I sent a message to the requester asking what I'd done wrong.. They unblocked me and said they were looking into it.. Since then, I've only done one every now and then.. I'm afraid of getting blocked again because that could get me blocked from Mturk completely.. I don't think this is the norm with Claritrans, just my personal experience..

OregonMama
12-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Hello!

I forgot I had put the link to SpeechInk's in my faves in order to study for a later time! So anyway, I am studying the guides before I sign up. I'm excited! Hope I do well!

Thank you for all of the helpful information!

Diona:)

KFelock
12-20-2010, 10:43 AM
I have a 90 qual, but still nothing is availible to me? I don't understand.

ncgirl3608
12-27-2010, 09:56 AM
I don't understand it either. I have already transcribed a few clips for SpeechInk and got 100 on two and a 99 on the other. Yet it still says I am not qualified for most of the work. I am qualified to work on the earnings calls but they do not have them a lot. I emailed the manager to find out why and was told it was something about my ID and she could not change it. I really wanted to work on these...oh well.

ncgirl3608
12-27-2010, 10:06 AM
As a follow up, I did get an email from Speech Ink a few minutes ago explaining why I was qualified on some and not others. She was very helpful and told me there should be some up later that I would be able to work on.

Kittikity
12-29-2010, 11:25 AM
I've done about a dozen transcriptions so far for SpeechInk and I'm really enjoying it.. Takes me a little while to do them because I'm not very fast, but most of them are pretty clear and the people were easy to understand.. I've mostly done the insurance interview ones.. I've also gotten a bonus on every one I've done except I think one.. Once the kids go back to school I'll be doing as many as I can.. I also like having one larger job where I get paid a larger amount then doing twenty little jobs of only a couple cents each..

One thing I really like about SpeechInk is they have a list on their website of all the jobs you've done, what your rating was for each job, and a copy of the transcription showing any mistakes (shown in red) and the corrections they made (shown in green).. I love being able to see what I did wrong so I can learn to do it correctly and improve my skills..

MissLou
01-02-2011, 02:30 PM
I just took the qualification test and got a rating of 86, but it doesn't give me any jobs I am qualified for. It says I can't work on any of the practice jobs and no other jobs are coming up. Am I doing something wrong in looking for them. Any help would be great. I am trying to earn some extra money for my daughters wedding in September - every little bit helps!
Thanks.

sms46030
01-03-2011, 10:06 AM
I just took the qualification test and got a rating of 86, but it doesn't give me any jobs I am qualified for. It says I can't work on any of the practice jobs and no other jobs are coming up. Am I doing something wrong in looking for them. Any help would be great. I am trying to earn some extra money for my daughters wedding in September - every little bit helps!
Thanks.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. They are just slow. I've been with them for a little over a year now, and if I can remember right, it got slow last year around the holidays. I'm looking for it to pick up soon. I love working on the insurance interviews also. Priscilla is real helpful. In fact, that's where I got most of my transcription experience from. I was a newbie.

sms46030
01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
I was so glad to see the email from Community Manager again, those are the earning calls. Maybe this means that they are getting busy again.

Kittikity
01-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Ironically, there will probably be a lot of insurance calls coming in because of accidents that happened over the holidays.. Not sure how long it takes the insurance companies to get around to calling for the interviews though..

HD21605
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I just started the M-Turks and have done a few of the claritrans. I would like to to some of the SpeechInk. When I request to take the test it says I already have and I will be notified by email if I passed. I do not remember taking the test. Does anyone know what I should do? Once you take the test how long does it usually take for them to grade it?
Thanks
Gayle