WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : CAIR sues Oklahoma

CammiB
11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
NationalJournal.com - Muslim Group Sues Oklahoma Over Sharia Amendment - Friday, November 5, 2010 (http://nationaljournal.com/muslim-group-sues-oklahoma-over-sharia-amendment-20101105)

Muneer Awad, director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations's Oklahoma chapter, filed the suit in U.S. District Court to block officials from certifying the measure. Awad told the Wall Street Journal the measure violates the First Amendment right to practice religion without government intervention.

This reaction should prove that Muslims do not separate their "religion" from their "law". Oklahoma went through proper steps to amend their state constitution with 70% of the people voting in favor of banning judges to look to Sharia Law or international law as precedent for ruling in courts. CAIR, like so many others in our country today, obviously doesn't know that all matters of religion were given over to the states. This however, goes so FAR beyond religion. OK has just preserved their state sovereignty and our US Constitution not just in matters of Sharia Law, but also where the UN and International Law are concerned as well. I hope other states will follow suit.

adbullock
11-06-2010, 08:24 AM
NationalJournal.com - Muslim Group Sues Oklahoma Over Sharia Amendment - Friday, November 5, 2010 (http://nationaljournal.com/muslim-group-sues-oklahoma-over-sharia-amendment-20101105)

This reaction should prove that Muslims do not separate their "religion" from their "law". Oklahoma went through proper steps to amend their state constitution with 70% of the people voting in favor of banning judges to look to Sharia Law or international law as precedent for ruling in courts. CAIR, like so many others in our country today, obviously doesn't know that all matters of religion were given over to the states. This however, goes so FAR beyond religion. OK has just preserved their state sovereignty and our US Constitution not just in matters of Sharia Law, but also where the UN and International Law are concerned as well. I hope other states will follow suit.

I'm sorry but this is really a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I don't think Sharia law should be used in our courts any more than I think the bible should. But there have been lawsuits filed by Christians who do not want to separate their religion from the law either (Christian Fundamentalist Attacks on the Separation of Church and State (http://www.jewsonfirst.org/separation.php) for just a few examples). I don't think either group should "win" because everyone loses when that happens but it's rather hypocritical of the Christians to balk at this after some of the things they've done.

CammiB
11-07-2010, 07:41 PM
No comparison. US Constitution...or Sharia Law and International Law. The ONLY reason religion has been brought up, is because Islam cannot separate its religion from Sharia Law. If they can, they won't be making a deal about bringing Sharia Law to the US.

Christianity is not based on our Constitution, even though our Constitution was based on many biblical principles. They are separate, even though they compliment each other. There are Christians all over the world and they are Christian apart from the US Constitution. Everywhere Muslims go they bring (or try to bring) Sharia Law with them. The people of OK have decided that they don't want international or sharia law in their courts, and took precaution to make sure they never had to deal with that issue in their state.

Separation of church and state is not in our constitution. Our laws were to ensure that government couldn't interfere in religion, not vice versa. The secular humanists have been very strategic in turning that around to say that Christianity had no place in politics or in public education. And at the same time replacing Christianity with their own religion. But then claiming that they don't want religion in politics and education. That's hypocrisy.

adbullock
11-08-2010, 12:19 AM
No comparison. US Constitution...or Sharia Law and International Law. The ONLY reason religion has been brought up, is because Islam cannot separate its religion from Sharia Law. If they can, they won't be making a deal about bringing Sharia Law to the US.

Christianity is not based on our Constitution, even though our Constitution was based on many biblical principles. They are separate, even though they compliment each other. There are Christians all over the world and they are Christian apart from the US Constitution. Everywhere Muslims go they bring (or try to bring) Sharia Law with them. The people of OK have decided that they don't want international or sharia law in their courts, and took precaution to make sure they never had to deal with that issue in their state.

Separation of church and state is not in our constitution. Our laws were to ensure that government couldn't interfere in religion, not vice versa. The secular humanists have been very strategic in turning that around to say that Christianity had no place in politics or in public education. And at the same time replacing Christianity with their own religion. But then claiming that they don't want religion in politics and education. That's hypocrisy.

No Cami but freedom of religion IS in our constitution and all I've seen from Christians is that that's supposed to only apply to them. I've got news for you, Freedom of religion is freedom for all religions or it's freedom for none. There are no half measures.

Please! The secular humanist argument is wearing thin. The argument that legally requiring children to attend school and then attempting to indoctrinate them with the creation myth, requiring them to participate in school sponsored prayer, or even making them learn songs that celebrate one particular religion over all others *IS* government sponsored religion. It doesn't matter if the religion being taught is Muslim, Mormon, Baptist, or Wiccan. It has no place in public, state sponsored (and tax dollar paid for) schools.

Politicians can be Christian or whatever religion they want to be. I've even voted for quite a few in my time. My problem is when they attempt to pass laws solely based on their beliefs as a Christian that take away rights away from a select group of people who fail to live up to "Christian" standards. It's just another form of hypocrisy to me since not even Christians are able to live up to the standards they try to hold everyone else accountable to.:rolleyes:

I agree with you on one thing. The law in Oklahoma was the correct course of action to take. Our courts should be ruled based on U.S. laws and only U.S. laws not the laws of any religion, France, the U.N., or any other country in the world.

But, I think it's supremely hypocritical for Christians to act as though they are opposed to the mixing of all religions and law when they try to impose their religion into the very law it should be separated from all the time.

And guess what? You're right about one other thing. Separation of church and state wasn't included in the original constitution. The founding father's really didn't believe it should be. It's interesting though that the very first amendment of the constitution was the one concerning religious freedom.

Religion is one of the most personal choices a person can make. To try to impose another religion on a person or force that person to practice the beliefs of another religion is wrong on every level no matter what the religion is. Some examples of this happening in the U.S. include dry counties, blue laws, bans on gay marriage and/or adoption, and gambling restrictions. The town where I grew up had a ban on retail stores being open before 1:00 on Sundays until Wal-mart came into town and all commercial video games, to this day, must be turned off and unplugged on Sundays so as not to interfere with family worship time. So you cannot tell me that Christians don't actively seek to insert their beliefs into laws all the time. I think it's just as wrong when one group does as another and THAT is where you and I are different. It's OK with you as long as it's YOUR religion.

CammiB
01-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Just read this and thought I would add the update.
Recently a federal judge overturned this state constitutional amendment. I do have concerns about Sharia Law in America, but I think the bigger picture is international law. Unbelievable :(