WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Should we get new cats?

JENNNY BELL
10-20-2010, 02:54 AM
Hi lovelies,

Could do with some advice actually. A few years ago my husband and I gave our cats away to a loving home. It was a HUGE decision for us but I was pregnant and we were living in rented accomodation which didnt have a cart flat.

We have since settled down and bought a house and we are thinking about getting some Kittens.

Is this a good decision? How will our cild react?

xx

Angela123
10-20-2010, 03:00 AM
You can never have too many cats :)

I vote yes, but I am a crazy cat lady, so a bit biased. Kids do well to grow up with pets.

BarbB
10-22-2010, 05:00 AM
I definitely think children should grow up with animals. It teaches them respect for other creatures. I have 7 cats so I'm also called the crazy cat lady and wouldn't have it any other way.

skcandles
10-22-2010, 07:12 PM
The only thing you may want to consider is an older cat as you can know their personality and they are not as much trouble as kittens can be. Even a year or two old is a great choice.. :)

infoman66
10-23-2010, 03:46 PM
I think it's good for children to grow up with a pet ...
Since you already have a cat, you will not be a problem to re-adjust the new pet ...

Scottsgirl
10-23-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm with everyone else on this. I think children NEED pets. It teaches them compassion, love for animals, how to treat them, and responsibility. Lots of great kittens and cats available at the shelter!! If you go for a kitten, you might want to get 2. They can entertain each other etc. It's also sometimes hard to introduce one cat to another - so if you have an inkling you may want two - I'd go ahead and get 2 to start with! I have 3 cats. 2 were sisters from the same litter - they are definitely best friends. I have a 3rd cat that I saved off the dock at work in December. They fought a lot for a long time, and it's been over a year and now they all seem to get along okay. But it was rough going at first. And the 3rd is still the outsider after all this time. Kittens or a younger cat would probably get along better with a child.

journey916
10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
I think you should definitely get cats. they are great pets. I love having them and I think that your children will love them.

PetLady
10-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Definitely! Kids should have pets because they can grow up learning about animals and respecting them. I can't imagine having a home without some animals. I also suggest getting 2 at one time - this will keep them busy when you're not around.

Lisa
Healthy Pet Stop (http://www.HealthyPetStop.com)

Shanina
11-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Children definitely loves pets. Remember how youngsters fight over teddy bears? This shall be the same deal. Children tend to love soft and cuddly creatures. We have a cat at home and my children likes playing with them a lot.

Rona
11-14-2010, 01:03 AM
I would definately think of getting a kitten. I bought one nearly 2 years ago and she has been great. No trouble at all and really easy to train,

If you are unsure you could always just get 1 kitten instead of 2 or 3 to begin with. I only have 1 cat and she is fine on her own.

muchmoremoola
11-16-2010, 10:17 PM
I would say yes if you're committed to have them for atleast 20 years or so if you're lucky. Like the others have said I think you're child would like it and you would have to teach them to respect the kitten and be good to it. (Hopefullly you're child is old enough. Some people like to wait until the child is 4-5 years old as they understand better not to be rough with the kitty).

I love cats but I haven't had one since I left home over 20 years ago. I've done too much moving in that time and it gets complicated looking for places that will rent to you if you have animals. One of these days I hope to though.