WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Looking For A WAH Business

avonmom
10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
I've been a WAHM since 1994 on and off and I am again staying at home. I sell AVON, but it isn't at all like it used to be. Since AVON sells on: eBay, Amazon.com, through an 800 number and through avon.com, they have eliminated the need for a rep. 99% of the people I ask if they ALREADY have or know an AVON rep. Also, reps are prohibited from running banner ads. On this page, as I type I see two ads AVON ads that AVON runs. They get to the potential rep before the leadership rep does, saving AVON money and directly competing with it's own reps.

I don't dislike AVON, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the products and the women. I don't support their business practices and I am concerned about the longevity of the company Had it started like this, I dont think AVON would be in business today. Once it because a MLM company EVERYONE and their mother was signed on.

I am NOT giving up, because I LOVE the products and you can't beat the prices! I just ordered 500 brochures for a huge distribution. We will see how it goes.

In the meantime, I NEED ANOTHER COMPANY!! One that doesn't undercut and compete with it's own reps!! I need one that has reasonable priced items. Nothing adult. Home parties are okay. I am open to that. I just cant decided what else I want to do.! Someone give me some ideas!

Currently, I run an part time childcare in my home, I buy and sell gently used childrens items and I sell AVON.

AprioriCandy
10-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi, Avon Mom!

I would be happy to chat with you about Apriori Beauty!

Best wishes in your search - hope you find something that fits you perfectly!
XO Candy

cabimom
10-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi, it sounds like you would like something to go along side Avon, which is great. I have two business and they are completely different. One I market mostly online, the other I will be doing parties and online.

With having a part-time daycare I would think something like Discovery Toys or maybe Simply Fun would be a good match for you (I don't sell Discovery Toys or any of the book/toy companies)

If home decor and accessories sounds fun to you, At Home America has a great sign up opportunity right now where you can sign up for only $1 plus shipping and tax! They have wonderful products and great support and income opportunites. If you'd like to hear more please PM me!

MonicaH
10-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Are you looking for another skin/body care line then since you posted here? Or are you looking for a company to compliment your Avon business?

I have heard some very disappointing things with Avon recently and a good friend of mine who was a leader in the company decided to give it all up this year because of the changes. It was a good thing for her since she has now started her own company and is much happier doing that. She is also a good customer of mine but she feels guilty since she has more Avon than she knows what to do with.

If you want to find out more information about Sensaria as we don't carry inventory, don't pay for cc fees, our web sites are free, our catalogs are $0.38/each and come out twice a year along with our new products. There is so much more that I can't write it all down! :)

Anyway, I do hope you find something that makes you happy! Best of luck to you. :)

dawnmo
10-18-2010, 04:18 AM
I would be happy to share some info with you about Send Out Cards...completely different from your Avon business. Feel free to send me a PM here or a quick email at the address below.

Good luck!

DebraFerrie
10-18-2010, 10:48 AM
I've been a WAHM since 1994 on and off and I am again staying at home. I sell AVON, but it isn't at all like it used to be. Since AVON sells on: eBay, Amazon.com, through an 800 number and through avon.com, they have eliminated the need for a rep. 99% of the people I ask if they ALREADY have or know an AVON rep. Also, reps are prohibited from running banner ads. On this page, as I type I see two ads AVON ads that AVON runs. They get to the potential rep before the leadership rep does, saving AVON money and directly competing with it's own reps.

I don't dislike AVON, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the products and the women. I don't support their business practices and I am concerned about the longevity of the company Had it started like this, I dont think AVON would be in business today. Once it because a MLM company EVERYONE and their mother was signed on.

I am NOT giving up, because I LOVE the products and you can't beat the prices! I just ordered 500 brochures for a huge distribution. We will see how it goes.

In the meantime, I NEED ANOTHER COMPANY!! One that doesn't undercut and compete with it's own reps!! I need one that has reasonable priced items. Nothing adult. Home parties are okay. I am open to that. I just cant decided what else I want to do.! Someone give me some ideas!

Currently, I run an part time childcare in my home, I buy and sell gently used childrens items and I sell AVON.

Hey there!
I was a PC/HS member with Avon and a unit leader for 8 years. Left the "active" business recently since my other team grew so large and I like the biz better.

Btw, Avon is not sold on Avon.com anymore...they will direct people to an Avon rep.
and all the other sites, like e-bay, well, that is all against regulations but unfortunately I see it with just about EVERY home business out there, even though NONE of them allow it.

It's tough when hard working reps are undercut by these people on e-bay and such. Fortuntaley though you CAN build a clientle both online and offline who will never go to those sites and of course team building will make you ever more money.

:-)

Best wishes,

Debra

marywoz
10-18-2010, 05:08 PM
You are looking in the right area... The skincare and wellness industry is booming and expected to continue to grow. Always make sure your products are consumable, in demand, in line with timings and trends and that you can leverage your time and compensated well for it. Please let me tell you about what I do. I have a business with Arbonne. We offer botanically based skincare and wellness products. We own our own formulations and do not sell them ANY other way other than through Independent Consultants. Our products are in demand. Feel free to contact me anytime to find out more. Good luck and have a wonderful night.

enspyrdinc
10-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Since it appears you are not real specific with what you'd like to do next, take some time and ask others here about what they are doing and how it works.

Just my suggestion.

Ron

johannaa
10-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I agree about the whole Ebay thing. It's an issue with pretty much every direct sales company. I recently decided to stop fighting the trend and joined the Shopping Genie, where I get paid when my clients shop on Ebay and many other online stores. Kind of cool! Your not limited to just one line or type of product. I can't think of a single person I wouldn't want to tell about this. It's free to give away and saves people a ton of money shopping online. You could include the genie in your Avon orders and get users that way. Your customers would love it, and you get paid per click when they do their Christmas shopping! PM me if you'd like more info.

caspurgeon
10-20-2010, 06:50 PM
The direct sales profession has gone through some major changes in the last 10 years. This weekend I spent time with a group of direct sellers with over 800 years of combined experience. A full spectrum of companies including some of those that you mentioned. Each company has sought to find ways to support the women that represent their company. If you aren't happy with the company you are with, perhaps it is time to look at your options. I would encourage you to meet face to face with someone from the company you are considering, and then do a little more research to find the rep from that company that you want to have recruit you.

If you are upfront and honest that you are doing research, instead of doing as many do and pretend an interest, you should be able to get the information you need to make a quality decision about your next venture.

Identify in advance what you need from a company to have it be a good choice for you. That will help you narrow your search.

Good luck with your next move!

-Carla Spurgeon

jonesrandf
10-27-2010, 05:49 PM
I would love to give you information on Rodan + Fields Dermatologists if you'd be interested. I passed on the opportunity 18 months ago when my good friend asked me to join her. I was skeptical and wanted to see what she could do. Well, she did amazingly well and still is. This time when she presented the opportunity, I jumped at it and I'm so glad I did. I saw results in my first month as do many on her team (I'd say most, but I don't know for sure). Now the people that I've brought on are also seeing success and while we're doing that, we're all getting incredible looking skin! I've had no breakouts in 2 months!! And I no longer wear foundation :-) Please let me know if you'd be interested in hearing more.

~Brenda Jones

WooTini
11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
So Avonmom.... Did you settle in on something?

I'm really weighing out which of several companies to possibly get involved in myself these days.... so I'd love to hear how your journey is going. :)

haydens_mom
12-02-2010, 12:22 AM
My girlfriend is rocking it with a new DS company called NYR Organics.... hugely growing. Let me know if you want info. :)

layercake
12-25-2010, 06:36 PM
I am new to posting here so I may be too late to offer you a suggestion. If you are still interested in a skin care line, I'd like you to consider Become Beauty. I am an advisor for this company out of Australia. There is plenty of opportunity to get in on the ground floor since we have been in the US for 3 years. Become products are premium pharmaceutical-grade cosmeceuticals that work to repair existing damage and slow down the skin's aging.
We provide the finest products in the world at incredible value so customers can afford to replenish their products regularly.If you are interested in learning more contact me by email at layercake@mybecome.net.
LayerCake

sohnikh
12-29-2010, 07:31 PM
hi
if you are still interested looking into wah business i have sent you A private message.