WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Need help w/ candle question...

bejeweled
10-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Is there a reason why the glass on a candle turns black when I light the candle??
Hope that makes sense..

Thanks

mandm'smommy
10-08-2010, 12:20 PM
There are candles do not leave the soot , but here is one tip that will help with any candle:

Keep the wick trimmed to no more than 1/4 of an inch at all times, and that will help significantly.

BarbB
10-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Definitely keep the wicks trimmed. Also, if you burn it too long and flames get really high it can cause more soot. The type of wax can make a big difference too. Paraffin candles seem to cause much more soot than the natural wax candles like palm and soy which are very clean burning.

Gina_Bell
10-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Also along with wick trimming, keep your candles away from drafts. That increases the amount of soot it puts off.

BelleReve
10-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Ok-- lets clear up some myth and misconception about what causes soot.

The type of wax is not to blame. You can give me a Soy, Palm, or Paraffin candle and if they aren't made properly they will soot. You can even make a properly made candle soot if you don't burn it properly. At my shop, I have a display with candles from every major maker-- all with soot from various burning conditions. Even the ones who love to claim they are "soot free".

Paraffin appears to soot more because it is the most "burn tolerant" wax-- meaning major companies in a hurry or small makers who don't like testing can get a "good burn" but not be using the proper wick. A bad wick will create soot--- every time.

If you have a candle with soot-- either the wick is wrong, the FO percentage is off, its off center, or its just a cheap candle.

AletheaAnderson
10-12-2010, 08:44 PM
The technical reason is that the flame is not consuming the wax and fragrance oil upon burning. A wick is just that, it provides wicking action. The flame melts the wax, turns it to liquid, it is pulled up the wick and consumed by the flame.

Sometimes when a candle has too much fragrance oil, or too small a wick, or too little fragrance oil and too big a wick it gets the chemistry off and the end result is 'exhaust' (left over un-burned byproduct from the consumption of the candle)

The TYPE of wax has nothing to do with it at all, that is a myth and it has been proven time and time again.

A properly made candle will actually consume the wax and fragrance oil upon burning leaving virtually no soot, a clean burn, edge to edge all the way down to the safety on the wick at the bottom.

Other factors that can cause soot are not trimming wicks to the proper length, having candle in a drafty area, allowing flames to get to high, burning candle too long, not having candle in an area where it has enough room to breathe to name a few.

I have researched this topic for years, being a candle maker for several years owning my own spa and candle company, and also representing 2 different candle companies in the direct sales industry I know more facts than most care to know about the topic of waxes, fragrance oil, wicks and beyond.

Any questions, please feel free to PM me!

I have an in depth video about the truth about waxes on my candle buisness website...

I represent a line of long burning, clean burning, POWERfully scented candles...

MarkGirl<3
10-23-2010, 12:06 PM
mia bella do not have soot or smoke. hth.
i hate the ugly black soot and smoke. that is another reason why i buy mia bella!

BelleReve
10-24-2010, 07:02 PM
mia bella do not have soot or smoke. hth.
i hate the ugly black soot and smoke. that is another reason why i buy mia bella!

Every-- and I mean EVERY candle has smoke--- the only difference is the "color" of the smoke. Soy and other Veggie based waxes tend to have a white smoke.

As far as soot goes-- I have a MB jar that it sooted all to hell and back. I did it to prove the point that every candle can soot if treated improperly.

FlickerScents
10-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Every-- and I mean EVERY candle has smoke--- the only difference is the "color" of the smoke. Soy and other Veggie based waxes tend to have a white smoke.

As far as soot goes-- I have a MB jar that it sooted all to hell and back. I did it to prove the point that every candle can soot if treated improperly.

Id like to see a picture of that.....in four years of being a rep and selling 100's of candles I have never had one get soot.

MarkGirl<3
11-04-2010, 01:49 PM
mine have never gotten black from soot.

luvthttabby
11-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I believe it depends on the type of wick and sometimes how you take care of your candles. But I can say I have burned FEH candles all the way down, have had them in different settings like air blowing on the flame and haven't gotten any soot. Before I got with FEH, I burned store bought candles and a few candles from another company that did have soot around the rim but found out that the company's wicks were lead based.

Soy_Candles
11-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I just wanted to say that I am so happy be in this arena of such smart business women! It makes me happy. Being so knowledgable is what makes all of these women so successful in their business.

Just wanted to say :D

Orchid Lake
01-02-2011, 10:12 PM
BR & AA are both correct. The balancing of wick & wax is the key to a properly performing candle. The chemical off-put from all waxes including beeswax has been documented by means of a study conducted by the National Candle Association. This study indicated that emission differences were negligible. A soy or palm wax candle can produce visible soot; a candle in a draft will usually be affected in its burn characteristics (potential to soot, burn unevenly) by that draft. We personally test all of our candles to find the right wick for each wax we use, palm, paraffin and soy.