WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Rant/Indecisive

MidwestMommax3
07-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey everyone,
I'm want to try a new venture that I can be with long-term. I realize that hard work pays off and there's no such thing as get rich quick. I'm a candle freak as well as I love when things smell nice. I guess it doesn't help that I'm pregnant because my sense of smell has taken over me, lol.

But with that being said, my mom used to sell PartyLite, MK back in the day so I was introduced to direct sales/parties very early. I did Mark (avon) back in HS and avon in my early college years. It was ok, but I want to be with a company that no one has heard much of and got tired of hearing, "oh, your one of those people." or "I already have a rep" etc etc etc. Sometimes, being with a company that's too common can actually be not good (my opinion/experience).:o

I personally tried a different non-related direct sales company a little while back and realized it was not for me. So now I'm ready to move on to something new and better. Plus, I'm due in less than a month and I need to do something where I can work online (having a c-section) and when I'm healed, I don't mind doing offline, parties, vendors or what have you.

So, here's what I've come up with. I'm stuck between Scentsy and Mia Bella. I've looked at other candle companies which are great but I keep coming back to those two.

Questions:
1. Does anyone just do one of those companies or also tie in another ds company? For instance avon, mk etc.
2. Retail. I saw a thread on this before. But I think it would be really cool to expand your business and be able to market little retail shops the opportunity for them to offer it in their shops. I'm all for looking at the big picture and not just parties, craft shows as far as offline.
3. Marketing. What unique ways do you market your candle business. I was looking online and I found niches with people who practice spells for instance (they need candles), churches, new moms.

Ok, I think that's it. For me personally, when I start something I give it 110%. My pet peeve is when the upline benefits from all the hard work your doing and you don't really see any reward yourself. It would be nice to be with a team-atmosphere where there's motivation, contests, support, extra marketing materials etc. Not looking for someone to be at the top of the company but at least someone who's trying to reach there.

Ok, I'm done :)

Thanks everyone!

mandm'smommy
07-22-2010, 11:02 AM
I will try to address some of your questions and concerns:

1. Personally Mia Bella is my main business, but yes I am involved in another...I focus on Mia Bella because it has the right compensation plan for me and as for my other company I love my personal discount and sell here and there to friends and family.

2. Mia Bella does allow you to retail the products..there are guidelines, but you can also place your candles in spas, salons and such as well.

3. I don't know that anything I do is unique. I am speaking with a few schools about doing fundraisers which many in our company do, but that is new to me.

I can speak for my upline and have several things to offer on this point: I emailed our CEO a few weeks ago and he called me back within minutes...I think that is a huge selling point--everyone in Mia Bella matters. The directors in my upline send regular emails to me and I am party of our leg's yahoo group and facebook page. I imagine everyone has a great upline, but I have been very impressed with the directors in mine because they do offer help and will call and set up times to speak with you to encourage, help, work alongside.

Finally, I am part of the candle biz from home auto responder website. This is something that my particular upline encourages to grow your business, and if you want to see what this is about you can take a look at mine in my siggy line. This is a great tool (upline offers great training on how to maximize the site) to get prospects and new associates.

I know you had more, but I am already getting a little long-winded, so if you need anything else, or would like me to expound on anything, let me know.

Oh, and one other thing: Mia Bella makes retailing very profitable with mark-ups around 50% you are always earning a good amount on everything you sell! I like our high comissions because you don't have to have a big downline to earn money. You can earn by selling.

Best wishes on your search!
Melissa

christyvw2004
07-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Just will try and answer I couple of your questions.
1.I do sell for another at home business also--Uppercase Living.. hard work but they are my full time jobs.
2. I have placed my display at our hair salon in town with my info--small town so I am starting small.
3. Great idea-never thought of that.
I am fairly new to this but would love to have anyone join my team. I am in small town MN--please lmk if you would like more info. Scentsy is a GREAT GREAT product and I will think you will find it sells itself.
https://christyv.scentsy.us

DeborahDeGrande
07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
My pet peeve is when the upline benefits from all the hard work your doing and you don't really see any reward yourself

Hi Midwestmom.

I am little confused by this statement here. If your upline is benefiting from your work so are you! :)
That means that you are both making money.
That is the beauty of of this industry!
When you help your team get what THEY want YOU get what you want!
Everyone wins!
Or maybe I am reading this wrong somehow?
Do you mean an upline who is not there for you while you work hard?

As for the candles, I have never tried Scentsy. I tried Mia Bella when they were about a year old and I was hooked.
The quality is outstanding.
The owners are also fantastic.
50% retail profit is the norm.
Awesome pay plan.

All the best whichever company you choose. :)

Deb

MidwestMommax3
07-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks all for responding. To answer Deb's question, I think I was referring to the "no support" part from upline that you mentioned. I'm sure I won't find that a problem whichever company I join since you all seem so awesome!
I appreciate everyone's input. I know there are differences between both I'm just trying to pinpoint which one, lol. I've looked on both sites, done research and like both :).

Is there anyone who's in Scentsy or Mia in the midwest? I'm from MN and just curious. Ok, I'm going to keep reading the threads and I'll come up with a decision.

I know it's good to focus on one business but thinking it would be cool to also do a health/wellness business along side to that doesn't offer candles. Then maybe you can be more versatile. I don't know, I think it's more of a future goal but I'm just going to focus on this.

Does anyone know if it's beneficial to sign up now or Aug. 1st? I read somewhere I think that if you sign up in Aug. you get the transition materials, I believe.

Thanks everyone!

MidwestMommax3
07-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Oh, I just thought of something. With both companies, can you recruit and sell internationally?

MidwestMommax3
07-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Omgoodness, I just thought of something else. Sorry, ladies.

Is your company big on events, trips, conventions and incentives. I so love that! Of course self and team motivation is great, but to work towards something or to look forward to an event is awesome. Incentives are great too. That's one thing I liked about Avon when I did it back in the day is that they always had contests and incentives which really helps you push a little harder :).

Ok, that's it :) Just want to make an informed decision being I'm in it for the long-term.

imamomagain
07-23-2010, 05:29 AM
With Scentsy, if you sign up in August, you get both Spring & Summer testers/catalogs AND the new Fall & Winter testers/catalogs. It like getting 2 kits for the price of one!

We have incentive trips. I just got back last month from our incentive trip to Hawaii! It was an amazing 6 days!! And in 5 more days we leave for Convention in Denver! I'm so excited to see new products, meet team members and find out where our next incentive trip is going to be!

Scentsy also does what they call World Tour stops. They have different cities all over the country where they come and do a little "mini-convention". It's great, not as exciting as the annual Convention, but boosts your business and gives you the shot in the arm that we sometimes need.

Right now we can recruit in Canada, maybe they will add another country? We will find out next week. :)

My 2nd anniversary is coming up August 1st and it has been an AMAZING 2 years!! Things just keep getting more and more exciting with Scentsy. This business has been a huge blessing to my girls and I. I have no intentions of slowing down. I love the relationships we build with our team members and hosts. Yesterday I dropped off 4 huge boxes of Scentsy to 2 different hosts and just seeing their excitement (along with my own) is enough for me to know that I made the right choice. The hugs I get when I leave make it so rewarding. I love love love Scentsy!

Best of luck to you! I was in your shoes 2 years ago....

DebraFerrie
07-23-2010, 06:31 AM
Mia Bella is in the US and Canada as of now.
We have an annual fling and several events around the country that are great and there seem to be more and more each year.
I've been with Mia Bella for 3 1/2 years and lvoe the variety we offer, candles and melts. Our line is always expanding too.
We cannot sell in retail establishements, as with most direct sales businesses, but we can in service based establishments like salons, spas, etc.

Best wishes!

~Debra
oh,
I'm also with Avon for over 7 1/2 years now too

mandm'smommy
07-23-2010, 08:06 AM
Mia Bella does have an incentive trip going right now...destination is not being revealed just that it is "someplace warm."

Everyone is in the running and can earn points by sponsoring people, for volume, getting downline to the next levels and other ways...

One other thing, not really incentive but a way to put more money in your pocket through retailing. The company is great on extending specials to us--often, and they are always fantastic! While they don't require or even encourage anyone sitting on inventory, I have taken advantage of the steep discounts to keep a some product on hand. Helps to get new customers when they can buy and have product immediately.

They did just roll out a new product kit which is fantastic...a ton of product with a sample bag (containing all of our scents) for under 100.00---not heard of before in the company!

Also, with our summer fling in just a few days, new products will be announced! So this is definitely an exciting time to be a part of Mia Bella.

Have fun continuing your research, and should you decide to also rep for a health and wellness company, that is not a problem with Mia Bella....

Melissa

jessicaj
07-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Hi MidwestMom!
Sounds like you wheels are really turning! That is a GOOD THING... the excitement is awesome. Great questions by the way... I am a Consultant with Scentsy and am getting ready to celebrate my 1 year anniversary at the end of August. It has been a great year and I can't wait for many more!

Congrats on your impending little one! That is so exciting! There are many options for a successful Scentsy Business while you are recovering. The basket party is a great way to get your business going without having to leave your house or your precious little one. Your hostesses use the Basket Kit that has samples of all the fragrances. They collects orders just like a regular party. Super easy for both you and the hostess.

1. Does anyone just do one of those companies or also tie in another ds company? For instance avon, mk etc. There are several consultants who are Consultants for more than just Scentsy. As long as it's not another fragrance type company, it's not against policy.

2. Retail. I saw a thread on this before. But I think it would be really cool to expand your business and be able to market little retail shops the opportunity for them to offer it in their shops. I'm all for looking at the big picture and not just parties, craft shows as far as offline. As a consultant for Scentsy, we are unable to SELL out of retail shops. We are however allowed to set up displays for information purposes. This is an avenue that I use to find new clientel and it has worked well for me.

3. Marketing. What unique ways do you market your candle business. I was looking online and I found niches with people who practice spells for instance (they need candles), churches, new moms. I'm not the BEST at online marketing ( I'm looking forward to learning more about this at Convention next week).

Congrats on your decision to start a new candle business. I wish you much success!

christyvw2004
07-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Midwest Mom,
I am in MN and would love to talk if you would like. I am going to Convention next week in Denver--but if you want to sign up the 1st of August can help you then (we will be gone Monday thru the 1st). Hard to believe there is only a week left in July..Summer does fly by here in the land of snow. My website is https://christyv.scentsy.us Not sure where you are located but I am sure I could meet in person if you prefer that.

AvParties4u
07-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Hello :) I'm with mia bella (since 2007); taking a tiny, tiny, stray away; it only lasted a few weeks LOL.. I was back with mia bella fairly quickly. Our compensation plan is just too awesome; along with the quality and variety of the product line; the mia bella business is the right choice for me.

I also do other things and started my first website (my party store) back in 2002. What i've learned since starting my website back in 2002 is to be sure your "WHY" is strong enough and find something your passionate about. I wish you much luck and success in your search in finding the right business for you.

jenfrat
07-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Hi Midwest Mom!
It looks like a lot of your questions have been answered. It's so smart to look at all of your options before making a decision...it took me 3 months before I decided to sign up with Scentsy! LOL
I've been with Scentsy for 5 months now and haven't regretted my decision once. I've done all of my business with basket and catalog party's at this point, so it really hasn't taken me out of the home much. I have 2 little ones, so it can be done with kids!
I still meet a lot of people who haven't heard of it, so you don't have to worry about competing with other consultants too much.
PM me of you have any other questions...Good luck with your decision!

FlickerScents
07-29-2010, 03:56 AM
We are having our annual convention in a little over a week....so stay tuned for new and exciting information!! Dont decide yet!!

Busymom02
08-30-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm in the midwest and I sell Scentsy:) I am available to my team 24/7 whether it's online, or on the phone or just a house away...I love our products--they sell themselves! All you need is a nose and an outlet. I do craft fairs and fundraisers often as I find it helps to get my name out and I have higher sales averages than when I'm just doing parties. I market anywhere and everywhere I can and really try to live by the Scentsy motto--give more than you get! I will pm you with my information and feel free to contact me with any questions you might have! Whatever your decision, you have your friends here at wahm to support you!