WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Success in these times?

StephanieH1517
05-31-2010, 12:24 PM
PLEASE NOTE: This is not a post asking for advertisements to come through my inbox at this time... so far I'm just thinking about getting back into the business. I will post again when I am welcoming advertisements.

I was in the adult home party plan for about 2 years. I feel like I tried my damnedest to make it work. I made the mistake of making myself available by phone 24/7, whether it be for sales, newbies, or potential sign ups, and it doesn't matter what I was doing... could've been in the middle of family time and I'd walk out of the room for 15-30 minutes to take care of business. I talked to everyone I knew. I talked to everyone I came in contact with. I wore the party plan purses with the catalogs in the window, and had the buttons on my purse, and the decals on my car... the whole shebang. I followed up with the people from the parties who had checked the little box that they were interested in having their own party or becoming a consultant. I sent out my own invites (because it seemed like you could never rely on hostesses to do their own). I attended meetings, and other consultants parties. I bought all of that recommended hype stuff (from outside authors) for increasing sales, getting prospects, etc etc. And it just never worked out.

As weird as it might sound, I feel like I was born to be in the adult industry. I was that "weirdo" when I was a young teenager who was researching sex related things when no one was around LOL. Because I just found the idea of sex...... amusing? And interesting. And I was curious haha. And still to this day when I see the headline of an article dealing with sex, I'll still open it to see if it's something I haven't already read.

I even signed up with that course through Dr. Ava Cadell to take my sex knowledge to a new level. I was S-E-R-I-O-U-S about making it work.

I still want to get back into the business... but I feel like I should be afraid now more than I was when I quit November 2007. With all the people losing their jobs, and it seems not many people have much money left over nowadays. Some tried to keep positive by saying with less money in peoples pockets should mean they'd spend money to stay home and have fun, instead of going out. I don't really believe that. Because some people really just don't have it. And others, will find a way to get it if they want it.

Basically I wanted to ask if anyone out there is decently successful right now, without making it their world. I don't want to have to send out invites (or play that thing where you star some of the invitations). I don't want to have to track down hostesses because some start flaking when they THINK their party isn't going to turn out well. And I don't want anymore of those parties that people throw to have some laughs and giggles, but no sales. I don't want to just waste my time. I don't want party goers that "want to take home a catalog" just to never hear from them again. Same with those who want samples to take home.

If you have a moment, feel free to send me a message with what all you do to make your business work. If I get a good feeling about you, and how you work your business... you probably will be the one I sign up with if/when I decide to. No, I'm not guaranteeing I will. But it's just something I've had in the back of my mind for a while. I would just like to find someone who is decently successful making minimum $1,000/mo while working their business just strictly PT and not letting it take over their world. By all means feel free to include your companies name, but if you don't send me at minimum half a page of text, I probably will not take you seriously and will never look into the details of your company.

Also, just for a general discussion on this board: what are your thoughts on age of consultants and whether or not they can be successful? What I mean by that is when I first joined the party plan I was 20, which definitely crossed my mind if people didn't take me seriously because I was perceived as a "kid" still. I would never announce my age, but some people just knew. (And others guessed me being anywhere between 19 and 26 LOL) My thought was that even though I made it very clear that it was a business to me, it just seems like hostesses would never meet me halfway with that idea. Yes, in all reality I was there to make money.... but so was the hostesses! My success depended on the hostess and vice versa so she could get a decent amount of party credit. Now, I am 23 and wondering if it would be different? I still look the same. Well, I lightened my hair but that's about it lol. I still have the same very nice car (which I noticed would be brought up sometimes in the conversations when people would ask me about my age). Only difference is now I live solely by myself, and support myself. At the time I had roommates which cuts living costs in almost half. So now more than ever if I decided to get back into this, I would need to be taken seriously and not just as a joke as the "dildo sales lady" who comes to parties and provides for some laughs... ya know?

I know this was a pretty long post, but hope there are at least a few out there who read this and know what I'm talking about. I'm just so afraid of taking that leap again and just completely failing.

bringhomethepassion
05-31-2010, 07:25 PM
I feel like I'm pretty successful and I am the laziest business person I know hehehe I don't do the invite thing, I don't do the five million call thing. I have a system and it works for me and I spend as little time as possible on my business and it still grows. Of course not as quickly as someone who is obsessed with it and has no other life, but it still grows at a pace that is fine for me and what I need. I've been in business for almost 6 years now.

I think one of the key things to remember is that you can't walk in to Wal-Mart and get our stuff. That's why I picked it, that and cause like you I've always been kind of geared towards sex and sex education. I'm always the odd man out talking about sex. I love my work and I feel that when you love it you grow. Perhaps you didn't find the right fit for you at the start. I often times help my team members with leads when I can and if you just hang in there your business does grow it's just sometimes people grow impatient. Mine didn't boom for I'd say at least 2 years. Now I can just sit here and people come to me. I have a party on Friday from someone just coming to me. And 2 after that.

My hostesses know I'm serious about my work. I'm not there to be their entertainment. I'm there to teach them about sex while they have a pleasant time. And it works. I just stick to my business beliefs and they fall in place. If I get the idea a hostess isn't geared upon the same business beliefs as me and is looking for a party time I pass them along. I'm picky about who I do business with as my time is precious to me. People will follow the lead you set if you stick to it.

You just got to find your groove with how much you want to work and you've got to find your fit with what works for you and perhaps the first time around was just a teaser to show you what you didn't like? Good luck with what you decide my dear!! You can't deny your love for talking about sex forever ;)

TSmom
06-02-2010, 04:41 AM
I am just getting started AGAIN. This is my 3rd tme signing up. I am drawn to this industry because I KNOW there is a high need. I never followed through before because I am shy about talking about sex. Something I KNOW I ned to get over. But I am determined this time.

That is great you are trying to do everything but I have a feeling you are making it look too difficult for others who may feel that they can't do what you are doing.

So you can continue doing what you did...just on a simplier level.

Instead of mailing invitations...use e-vites or set of a Facebook event page. That way with a few clicks of a button you can mail out evites AND see who is coming.

Instead of coachjing all recruits 24/7, set up a team training site. A good option is www.myfamily.com - you can set up a forum, documents section, etc...

Etc etc....all while remembering to SIMPLIFY.

SamsToyChest
06-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Sent you a PM with my thoughts there...

SamsToyChest
06-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Also though just wanted to share how I manage my time...

For my calls.. I set a predetermined time every day that I will do business hours...

I have google voice for my business and If a am not taking calls they go to vmail...

I can then get back to them..

Like the only lady said about team i have a website..

I also have a newsletter service my company offers.. I use an email invite that can then be posted to myspace, facebook, twitter and more... for them to use to invite their guest...

I communicate with my over 60 team members via email and these newsletters... for customer newsletter and follow up .. i again use that newsletter service.. with company branded emails and messages.. prewrritten...

Deanna64
06-07-2010, 08:21 AM
I totally understand where your coming from. But you have to keep on trucking, most of my sales are online and I do a few parties here and there. I love building my team and that is where my focus is....

I have chosen our company because it is different from the rest. How and why? Because we have a TOP Sex Educator leading our company. Its not just about selling toys, its about the education of Sex... So many women think sex is just to make babies, (I was one of them) until I was educated. Women have the power to take control of their bodies and their own Orgasms with or without the man....

I would love to talk to you more about this...

Deanna
Deannas Dirty Divas Team Leader
http://www.redhotcherrykisses.com