WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Success without parties???

Luvinmama
03-20-2010, 03:08 PM
I know that you can make some money without doing parties.
I REALLY cringe at the thought of doing them...
I've been to several home parties and I just know I wouldn't enjoy going to other peoples houses and doing them, besides that, they're almost always on weekends and my hubby works Saturdays ( I have the kids ) and Sundays are the only days I get to spend with him.
I can't say Id NEVER do any, but It's defianty not something I'd want to do on a regular basis.

So I my question is... realistically, how well can you do without doing parties.
Anyone do well or know anyone who's had great success with a certain company without doing parties?

satx728
03-20-2010, 03:25 PM
It is absolutely possible to be successful without doing parties if the company you're with allows retailing, fund raising and/or team building! I consider myself and some of my team members successful and I have never had a party and don't plan on doing any unless someone approached me. I am not a big fan of home parties of any type which is probably why I don't do them. There are so many other ways to earn serious income that I do enjoy that I don't feel like I'm missong an opportunity.
Jackie

KarmaSmiles
03-20-2010, 06:12 PM
I agree anything is possible! It can be done; but I think it is a bit more difficult to reach your full potential of success without parties. This can be especially true depending on the company.

I see that only a few people have posted to your questions. Unless, of course, it was done privately. It is the weekend a lot of ladies are busy. So, it is very possible that some companies consultants may not have had the opportunity to see your posts yet.

It really helps to love the product you are selling! I suggest requesting samples/catalogs to try the products first. If you can narrow it down to one or two companies try placing a small order with them. Get a feel for the ordering process from a customers perspective!

I also recommend making an extensive list of questions to ask. Might be helpful to make a spread sheet to compare the information!

Good Luck on making a decision!

Jodi

FlickerScents
03-20-2010, 06:15 PM
I have only done a handful of parties in 3 1/2 years. I have a large downline which is successful, do tons of person to person and online sales. We also run a vendor booth on the weekends in a market. Home parties are not my thing and I do VERY well without them.

mandm'smommy
03-20-2010, 08:29 PM
I so feel you on home parties--but I think my area has a lot to do with that, too.

A few ideas I can pass along are--having an open house (I think someone mentioned that). Where you have some product on hand, invite people over and allow them to purchase from your own inventory. This would be great around Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, Christmas....gift-giving days. You are offering a service where people can avoid the mall. Also, once people realize you have some candles on hand, they will be more likely to call you when they need something quick instead of running out to a store. I have found this to be true with the ladies I teach with--they like knowing I keep some candles around when they need a last minute gift, and I didn't have to pay a lot to build up a decent inventory.

Another idea---again this would be great around holiday time--is to contact a few schools. I personally haven't done this, but I have seen it done and been on the other side of this as a teacher. We don't have a lot of time to go holiday shopping, and I loved it when our principal would allow someone to bring some items in, set them up in the teacher's lounge and allow us to shop.

Of course, there is always online marketing--I am just getting used to this, but I am starting to have some success, so I will spend more time with this over the summer.

Placing your products in salons (nail salons, hair salons...). Several ladies on here can offer you great advice on how to do this.

Of course as has been mentioned---craft fairs or other vendor events. Again, you may not want to have a big display while you are still new to any business, but just getting some contacts would be worth it. Or you could go in with another rep and split the cost of an event.

You keep searching, doing your research, and asking questions. You will know when you have found the right business for you!

Melissa

golden_embers
03-20-2010, 09:58 PM
There are ways around having home parties. Invite a few friends over when your kit arrives to have them help you unpack....they will find something they want. Have your candles melting or burning when you have guests over. There are a lot of other ways to do this too; some have already been mentioned above.

There are some companies in this forum that have quotas to remain active and get full benefits such as commissions. I would definitely take your time with your research, try the companies out and ask a lot of questions to get the right fit! This can be a very fun process and I wish you the best!

jessicaj
03-21-2010, 07:29 AM
There are many consultants that are quite successful with basket parties and online sales. I know the bulk of my personal sales are coming from the basket party option, as people are so busy and like the option for the convenience.

CandleClaire
03-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I think all of the candle companies here have some type of online component. I love my website and get consistent sales from this outlet of my business.

One thing to consider is the rules of each company, some have rules that others do not have....for example, Gold Canyon does not allow any online advertising that costs money. This can be a drawback or a positive....it keeps the playing field level for every GC demonstrator, but it also means your advertising won't be right there next to other advertising (that costs money.)

However, since 80-90 percent of Gold Canyon's business is re-orders, you can also build your business with website sales. You can also do vendor events/festivals/fairs/bazaars and gain contacts and make sales there. Once you have worked your business to a certain level (with Gold Canyon, anyway) you start to get direct leads from the company when people look up a demonstrator on the company website.

Gold Canyon and several of the other companies represented here also have active Fundraising programs, a different way of making money which even further takes the focus off of you as the seller....more as the orchestrator of other sellers!!

One more thing I wanted to mention that I don't see here. Many of us struggle with getting out of our comfort zone. Just because you cringe at the thought of doing home parties NOW does not mean you will always feel that way. Many of us were very nervous or even hated the thought ourselves! Some still do!!

I know many demonstrators who just have parties at their own homes. I have an open house each month at my home. I know that during my first Holiday Season my calendar stayed booked with former hostesses and new contacts contacting me for parties....I did not have to go out looking. That took a lot of pressure off!!

A good company and team will give you the support and training you need to stretch your comfort zone AND find creative solutions to grow your business.

All the best to you in your search for the perfect business fit!!!!

JolenaMiller
03-21-2010, 10:16 AM
I agree with everyone above :)

I myself have been doing a few craft shows to get the word out and will do parties when needed, but I am having the most success with Basket or Binder parties. Also fundraisers. Anything that gets the products in the hands of consumers...sometimes it takes a while, but I am starting to see more and more people calling me for repeat orders and asking to do their own fundraiser and/or basket parties. It is amazing how it can multiple and it is very rewarding when people see your return label on their candle and call you back because they liked the product and want more.

If you can get the word out there and build up a good customer base, you can start emailing specials, etc. and that exposure will also help you start to build a team as well if you want to do that also. Find the people that want to do home parties and get them on your team. Then when you are asked to do one, if you have local people who do parties, you can refer them to them and still earn by supporting your team. It is a win-win situation!

I am also working with a few shops - salons, flower shops, gift shops who are putting product in their store on consignment. Also offering packages and baskets to realtors and other business reps that would be interested in giving our products as gifts to their clients. Small businesses can also give their employees your product as gifts. I have been working on ideas to very simply customize and personalize the products in a way that appeals directly to why someone would want to purchase them as gifts and promotional thank you's. Candles are a universal, consumable, and practical product and there are so many ideas and ways to market them :)

AletheaAnderson
03-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Greetings I am a coach and leader with Mia Bella, I joined Mia Bella in 2004 and have done hardly any parties, and it was for a local team member's launch! Now parties are a HUGE tool and can propel your success, but not required by any means.

However 'selling' is important to get you some 'cash in hand' as this motivates you to keep moving forwaqrd (a stagnant business = the desire to quit). If you choose not to do home parties do consider person to person selling, craft shows, boutiques, expos, farmer's markets and beyond.

You can even do parties on the go (basket or bag parties) where you are not present!

The web is an amazing way to grow a team, I do most of my business over the web (team building and sales) utilize free web marketing!

FlickerScents
03-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Ditto Alethea....I love being a leader and being able to show others to do what I do.

jenfrat
03-22-2010, 04:52 AM
I know of plenty of people who do well with online only sales. Personally, I have yet to do a home party, but I've done plenty of basket (catalog) parties and have more lined up!

Jennifer

Independent Scentsy Consultant
www.scentsy.com/jenniferanderson (http://www.scentsy.com/jenniferanderson)

Louann
03-25-2010, 04:24 PM
I have been on both sides of the fence...for years I was with a company and did 6 - 8 shows every month.

Doing home parties is the quickest way to get in front of people and create income into your business. It is also the quickest and most cost effective way to create new leads for fundraisers and new team members. This worked well with me at the time...

Now my schedule has changed (and my passion too) and I am now on the other side of the fence, where I am focusing my time and energy on face to face marketing and online networking. And I gotta be honest..I LOVE IT! For me...it works...it fits my schedule and is creating income!

If you do decide to go this route...I HIGHLY encourage you to mentor and join with someone who will train you and support you with your decision. I speak from experience when I say, it is no fun when your upline and leadership team is telling you that YOU MUST DO PARTIES or you won't be successful (they wont use those exact words, but the feeling will come across)

I actually enjoy doing a home party here and there...but I want to do them because I want to and my host wants me to...not because I begged or bribed her too :-)

You can be successful...there are lots of us on here who ARE doing it without home parties. Talk to any one of us and ask lots of questions.

Keep us posted!