WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : TutorABC

jessupsamuel
03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I'd love to hear anyone's experiences of tutoring with TutorABC (ESL). Also, do you know of other ESL online tutoring sites?

jennm1484
03-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I just started with TutorABC this week. So far, so good. They have their own lesson plans - It's pretty easy work. I've been teaching ESL for a couple of years now, so this is a nice way to earn some extra pocket money.

There's a ton of online ESL companies. To name a few: Alancity, Idapted, Kaibell, GoFluent...

jessupsamuel
03-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the information on the other companies. I wonder if the pay for Kaibell is any higher than TutorABC? I've been tutoring with TutorABC for a little while.

Bismarck
03-26-2010, 10:32 PM
The teaching is fun, the students are predominantly Asian, and are super friendly. With TutorABC you can determine your own teaching schedule. They are flexible with you taking leave as well.

Jennifer Lane
04-14-2010, 02:29 AM
This, I must say, is quite an interesting company. Just had my interview last night. All seemed to have gone well. The interviewer was extremely nice!

The only thing I got to get now is a webcam without a microphone. The microphone needs to be part of the headset, I was told, for better acoustics. Guess that makes sense. Ive ordered a Dynex set from Best Buy for $29.99 this morning. Hope its worth the investment.

Id keep you guys posted when I start my first class tomorrow. Very excited as I dont quite know what to expect.

jessupsamuel
04-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I just picked up the cheapest headset and webcam I could find, and they've worked fine so far! How did your first session go?

Alexa Harrison
04-20-2010, 04:08 AM
Hey, Jennifer. This is my 3rd month now and apart from the occasional students not showing up for class (in which case youd either be redirected to take another class or if nothing happens, sit through 45 minutes of web surfing and coffee sipping and get paid for it!)

I must admit it feels a bit guilty to be paid for not doing any work, but thats how the system works and who am I to argue with that? The work itself is easy since the teaching material is prepared for you as you know. A tip is to make sure all the students understand, some of them are quite shy. I always try to correct them as much as possible. -

As far as the hourly rate is concerned I was quoted a rate and they stuck to it. It was mutual and I respect the transparency and honesty from an internet company thousands of miles away. Couldnt ask for more if you ask me, really!

Jennifer Lane
04-21-2010, 05:08 AM
So my headphones arrived late and I had to borrow one from my brother to commit to my first class.

Fortunately, it was in working order and things got off to a good start.

I had only 2 students in my class. One was an interior designer and the other one worked at the bank or something.

The teaching material uploaded by itself and I know now what I didn't know...that is, I could preview the material 15 minutes ahead of time! That would've been a huge help!

Anyway, I tried my best as I navigated through the slides. Although it was a beginner level class, the students understood quite well I thought.

45 minutes went by and I managed to finish everything and cracked a few not so funny jokes. (I hope they got them though!)

So all in all, I got to say that this was not the nerve-wrecking experience I thought it'd be. I am not hooked yet, but I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship..ha!

By the way, I got pretty good feedback ratings from both of them. (Hope they're not just being nice!)

ladysawfan
04-28-2010, 01:18 PM
does anyone know how i can increase my upload speed for TutorABC? i tested at 487kps and they want 512 to work for them:-(

Alexa Harrison
05-03-2010, 05:24 AM
I think I can answer that one.

Your upload speed is actually fine.

Bear in mind that these speeds change every second (much like your blood pressure!) and no two seconds are ever the same.

The speed you tested at is more than adequate. To tell you the truth, that's better than mine most of the time...and I don't have a problem with my connection when I'm teaching.

Hope this helps :)

jessupsamuel
05-16-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm so glad to hear from other TutorABC teachers. I know there's lots of us out there, but I don't get the chance to talk to any others, really. I'm curious about your teaching methods. What are some of your tricks and ideas that help students learn better? Do you all get through the slides each time? What kind of time do you allow for discussion? Do you have the students read the slides all the time?

I have students read questions to each other and answer them. I have them read some slides to themselves and have one summarize the page. I use the web browser a lot when I can.

Annehwang
06-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I'd love to hear anyone's experiences of tutoring with TutorABC (ESL). Also, do you know of other ESL online tutoring sites?

Taoxue8. You can set your own tuition. Usually the students are willing to pay up to $20 per hour. If you prove your skills to them, they're willing to pay more.

This is their site. ?????????????-Taoxue8 (http://www.taoxue8.cn/about.php?op=teacher)

They're looking for tutors at the moment to join the team. I would really recommend this school to interested online tutors. Anyone interested in an online teaching position should definitely check this one out! I've heard many positive things about it. I'm currently a tutor here and the school does a great job on marketing and finding serious language learners. The learners are mainly in China.

cindy1211
06-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm so glad to hear from other TutorABC teachers. I know there's lots of us out there, but I don't get the chance to talk to any others, really. I'm curious about your teaching methods. What are some of your tricks and ideas that help students learn better? Do you all get through the slides each time? What kind of time do you allow for discussion? Do you have the students read the slides all the time?

I have students read questions to each other and answer them. I have them read some slides to themselves and have one summarize the page. I use the web browser a lot when I can.

hi,

i want to know how much you earned for this kind of job? is it an hourly rate or per students basis?

jessupsamuel
06-28-2010, 01:44 PM
The pay is an hourly rate (not very high), and then they give you a "bonus" based on how much the students liked your session, which ranges from about $0.50 to $2.50 or so per session. Sessions are actually only about 45 minutes, but with the progress report you have to fill out for each student at the end of the session, and having to log in before the session begins, you are working for an hour.

cindy1211
06-28-2010, 10:13 PM
I have lots of questions about this company.

so how much is the rate per hour?
in one session how many students are there?
who are the students? are they Chinese people?

jessupsamuel
07-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Students are mainly from Taiwan, and the max is 5 students per class. Base wage is $8.25 per hour, I think.

jsamecarl
07-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi,

The following sites will be useful to you and other members:-

best Online schools (http://www.online-schools-blog.com)
Online phd programs (http://www.phd-programs.net)
top online colleges (http://www.top-online-colleges.net)
online doctoral programs (http://www.doctoral-program.net)

Thanks,
:D

cindy1211
07-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Students are mainly from Taiwan, and the max is 5 students per class. Base wage is $8.25 per hour, I think.

i heard that if a tutor is a Filipino, they only pay $2-$5. Is it true?

jessupsamuel
07-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't know about any differences in pay among the different nationalities of teachers.

Serendipity6
07-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I just scheduled my interview for 2 days from now. What can I expect the interview to be like? How long does it last? And, how long after the interview will you know if you've been hired?

jessupsamuel
07-05-2010, 10:01 PM
The interview is about 30 minutes or an hour, if I remember right. They go through some general questions and tell you what to expect when you teach. They are really nice. They check your technical stuff, too, I think.

cindy1211
07-05-2010, 10:13 PM
thanks for the info jessupsamuel. Its a big help for me. I will have my interview soon and hopefully everthing will be fine..

Serendipity6
07-06-2010, 07:36 AM
jessupsamuel - Thanks!! It will be via webcam, right? I better start brushing up on some answers to interview questions now! Would you say it's similar to a standard face to face job interview? The interview is tomorrow evening. Anything else I should know beforehand to be well prepared? Oh, and I do not have the headset/microphone they want you to have. I was thinking about buying one and just returning it to the store if I don't get hired. Is it necessary for the interview?

cindy1211
07-06-2010, 10:37 PM
@Serendipity6, so you have your interview, too. Mine i dont know, i was waiting for anyone to call me on the scheduled interview but i left waiting and surfing on the net. I tried to email them and asked what happen but until now, i havent received any reply from them.:confused:

Goodluck to your interview and can you please share it here what happen..

Serendipity6
07-07-2010, 05:43 AM
Cindy1211 - I scheduled mine online while I was applying for the job. It is supposed to be tonight at 9:00. I'll definitely let you know how it goes! I'm excited, yet nervous!

Serendipity6
07-08-2010, 06:03 AM
I had my interview last night and it went very well. I was hired on the spot and have my training in 5 days. I just need to go and buy a headset and then I can start teaching after the training.

I also set up my working schedule, but I'm not sure how much sleep I'm going to get! How many classes do you guys teach per day and what hours are you working?

jessupsamuel
07-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I hope your interview went well, Serendipity! I needed a headset at least for my interview so that we could talk. I find that MSN messenger is usually the best way to get in touch with TutorABC personnel.

I only do 5 sessions a week in the evenings, as I have a 4 month-old to deal with in the mornings, when I would prefer to teach. I've done up to about 15 or so a week in the past, though, when I had another PT job.

Serendipity6
07-13-2010, 10:02 PM
I think I am going to have to cut back the number that I signed up for. I don't know when I would sleep otherwise. My husband works a crazy schedule and I have 2 toddlers with another one on the way. I really need the money though.

I am just sitting here waiting to start my training. I've had a few problems so far - I could not watch the training videos and I also could not upload a video on the expanded application. Hopefully I can get some help with that tonight.

jessupsamuel
07-19-2010, 08:23 AM
I understand that. I used to teach in the mornings, but with the baby, we're both up early. At night, I'm too tired to do more than one session. I taught while I was pregnant, and they were really good about giving me leave while I got my life back in some kind of order.

Serendipity6
07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
I changed my schedule to just 1 class a day. I figure I can add more later if it works out that way. Did you just take a leave close to when your due date was coming up? How long of a leave did you take? My due date is in 12 weeks so I'll have to figure something out fairly soon.

I have my first session in the morning! I'm nervous. It seems like there is a lot to remember so I hope I don't forget anything that I'm supposed to do.

Serendipity6
07-21-2010, 10:07 PM
I just read that they are going to offer sessions 24/7! Maybe we can schedule more classes that way at more convenient hours of the day. :)

jessupsamuel
07-22-2010, 07:46 AM
I think I took leave about 2-4 weeks before I was due. I was out for 6 weeks. I pushed them to let me come back. They were willing to wait longer.

WZahar33
07-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey, I visited the Tutor ABC website and applied, but I can't tell if my application got accepted or not. All I got was a page going over the technological requirements and that's it. What should I do from this point?

Also, I'd like to look for some other online ESL sites. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Whitney

Serendipity6
07-22-2010, 08:12 PM
I think I took leave about 2-4 weeks before I was due. I was out for 6 weeks. I pushed them to let me come back. They were willing to wait longer.

That is great! Hopefully they'll be willing to accommodate me even though I just started. I would be taking leave mid-late September as my baby should be here the 1st week of October.

I'm going to PM you ;)

Insomniac64
09-02-2010, 05:12 PM
@Serendipity6, so you have your interview, too. Mine i dont know, i was waiting for anyone to call me on the scheduled interview but i left waiting and surfing on the net. I tried to email them and asked what happen but until now, i havent received any reply from them.:confused:

Goodluck to your interview and can you please share it here what happen..

I have had this happen with TutorABC twice so far and they do not ever respond. It is very frustrating because they allow you to schedule, you sit there and wait, and no one ever comes OR answers your emails. I have written to Lindsay Wang multiple times, no answer. Not very professional

danblack
09-07-2010, 03:12 AM
I am with Tabc and thry cancel more of my bookings than I get.

jessupsamuel
09-10-2010, 03:57 PM
The trick is to work early in the morning or from around 5 to late at night if you want students. I'm not with TutorABC anymore, but if you are available during their peak times, you will usually have sessions.

cindy1211
11-05-2010, 06:19 AM
I have had this happen with TutorABC twice so far and they do not ever respond. It is very frustrating because they allow you to schedule, you sit there and wait, and no one ever comes OR answers your emails. I have written to Lindsay Wang multiple times, no answer. Not very professional

ohh!! i thought it only happened to me..maybe that's there style..LOL

jessupsamuel
11-06-2010, 08:12 PM
ohh!! i thought it only happened to me..maybe that's there style..LOL

I usually received prompt emails from them. You might try IMing them on Windows Live Messenger. Whoever is the manager on duty usually responds right away.

acihayat
01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
thanks for the info jessupsamuel. Its a big help for me. I will have my interview soon and hopefully everthing will be fine..

jktaylor
02-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I've tried to find a place to sign up but with no luck. Do you know the link to sign up?

Janet

spateacher
02-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Ok, so I've read most of the posts but what is this exactly?

letterbox
02-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I've tried to find a place to sign up but with no luck. Do you know the link to sign up?

Janet
http://recruit.tutorabc.com/asp/a.asp

mom31
03-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Well I've been with them a month now. No complaints yet. They pay on time and are fair. It can be a bit difficult withh 6 students, but hey its paying the billls :D

MelindaJ
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
I am glad this thread was started. I have thought about doing this type of tutoring before. I worked for Brainfuse for over 3 years and was let go a few weeks ago. I have always been nervous to teach with a web cam, but this sounds good to me. Do they you require you to have prior ESL teaching experience?

mom31
03-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Not that i know of, the interviewer was really nice actually. She just wanted to make sure that I really like teaching and can do it. I think it's pretty decent money. anyone else out there tried it?

freelancewriter
04-01-2011, 01:10 AM
I did it few a several months. I have ESL experience. You must be on cam, and the students see you, but you can't see them. The students rate you after each lesson, from one to 10 and the company wants you to have something like an 8.5 average. The students are all adults. I got frustrated because, I had students say that I didn't write on the whiteboard, when I wrote on every page for every lesson! You also have to be careful that each student has equal opportunities to speak. If students feel that the connection was bad, even if it was on their end, they may give you a lower evaluation. Remember, they are in Taiwan. You can have up to 6 students in a session. Sometimes they pay for one-on-one sessions. You have to evaluate each student after the lesson, too. The pay is actually about $8 a session with bonuses, but bonuses are tied to the evaluations. The company gives you the lessons. Oh, and you add the employees (staffers like tech support and schedulers) onto your IM.

patty55
04-02-2011, 03:18 AM
hmmmm... I didn't have that experience and have been with them for a year...also pay is actually a bit higher than that now. I think overall it's a pretty fun side job since I have 2 toddlers at home, it works for me.

patty55
04-08-2011, 12:53 AM
hi Moms. Btw, the last i heard, they are currently hiring, so best to apply soon if anyone's still interested, before all positions filled.

biore
05-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Thanks so much Patty! I've completed their interview and so far on my 3rd week. I quite like that I get to work at home and stay with my newborn. Pay is actually good considering that you don't have to pay for gas or leave the house. lol.

sherrieo
06-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey all,thanks so much for the tutorABC site, just started my first session. It's a pretty neat part-time job. I recommend it to all you Mommies out there.

sherrieo
06-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Btw,if you wanna teach with them you have to apply soon because I heard they dont have many openings left~ http://recruit.tutorabc.com/asp/a.asp

Miss_A
08-09-2011, 10:23 AM
sherrieo, how is it going with tutorabc? Do you know if they are still hiring?

KathyV
08-22-2011, 09:40 AM
I too just started with TutorABC. Had my training last night and have my first session tomorrow. I would love to hear from anyone who is a tutor there now. The sesion page is confusing? I am assuming that just because you are scheduled for a session at that time (green dot), doesn't mean that you will actually get one.
I have a teaching degree and over 10 years of experience tutoring students of all ages. Now that I have started checking into online tutoring jobs. I am wondering if I couldn't have found something better? Does anyone have any recommendations?
Any information would be appreciated :o

Tanith
08-31-2011, 11:47 PM
I just finished my training with TutorABC and will start working soon. Can anyone explain to me how the taxes work? The woman told me Taiwan takes 18% out for taxes. I really don't understand how taxes work with other countries. Are we also supposed to pay U.S. taxes on the income? Since we're paying Taiwan taxes, do we also file taxes in Taiwan? Is the 18% even going to taxes, or does TutorABC just pocket the money? Are we employees of TutorABC or contractors? So many questions, but I just don't understand.:confused:

aewtx
09-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Oh, this sounds interesting! Does anyone know if they're are currently hiring? I don't have any tutoring experience, but I have had ESL (haha). I am also originally from Taiwan, if that helps.

Any tips on doing the video for the application?

giznangel
09-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi Awetx and anyone else interested in signing up for this company - I believe they are still hiring and I am going through my training now. On my personal consultant
page it says "Refer a friend" Send me the following info in a PM and I will submit it throoyugh the page.
Name
Email
MSN
Nationality.

It also states:
Please Note:
1. Probation period is 100 sessions taught.
2. Please ensure that you guide your friend accurately through our online application process at
http://recruit.tutorabc.com/asp/a.asp - in order to set up an interview with us.
3. To assist your friend make sure he/she has at least a comparable technical setup to yours.
Please advise him should you detect any inadequacies.
4. To be eligible for the $50 bonus Make sure he enters your full name next to "Referring ad" in the application.

aewtx
09-05-2011, 01:39 PM
might as well help you get referral fees if I'm already trying to apply haha
check your pm :)

giznangel
09-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Just sent you back a pm - Although a referrel fee is nice that isn't the reason I posted this - I just hope that being referred by someone that is already in training might help you or thers get a position there :)

aewtx
09-05-2011, 04:09 PM
haha, I know. I was just saying we should make the most of it haha. thanks for the info

let us know how you are enjoying it once you start!

giznangel
09-05-2011, 05:28 PM
I sent you another pm about the MSN - it may be the entire email adress that is linked to the account. PM it to me :)

giznangel
09-06-2011, 05:02 PM
@ aewtx - Sent the referral page - hope you hear from them soon!

aewtx
09-07-2011, 04:08 AM
thanks!

I think I need to order a headset for the video. anyone have recommendations?

aewtx
09-09-2011, 10:43 AM
I read through some of the older posts, and it sounded like a headset wasn't needed to complete the application. But the application had asked for a video. So I'm not sure. I need to order a headset, so that'll delay things if it's required for the video.

They sent me an email asking if I was still interested. I don't know if that means I'm a good contender, or if it's just that they are getting impatient.

aewtx
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
For those of you that are working for TutorABC, how long was the hiring process?

Ivorygirl
09-23-2011, 10:08 AM
I would look at this: ed2go Online Courses - Teaching and Education (http://www.ed2go.com/online_courses/PI/Teaching_and_Education.html)

There are various affordable certificate courses available at a very reasonable cost. It is a very credible program, affiliated with many colleges. I haven't taken any of these courses, but I am also considering the TESL courses.

giznangel
09-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi aewtx - I have been working for three weeks and am really glad I decided to go with this company. SO far everything has been going really well. I am making money and having fun!

I had a headset that I used for the application process but I don't remember if it was an absolut necessity. I did have to buy a webcam and I told them it would take me about a week to get it and they were very understanding. The training was easy - you do most of it on your own. The company provides the lessons and you work with between 1 -5 clients in a session.

I do know they are still in need of tutors.

Let me know how your application process is going.

If anyone else is interested send me a pm. :)

aewtx
09-29-2011, 05:32 AM
I just sent the application. Hopefully I will hear from them soon. I'm worried about it, because the video was very grainy. I really hope that I can get hired, I really want to do this!

How long did the process take for you, from the time you sent in the application?

giznangel
10-02-2011, 09:42 PM
The process took 3-4 days

aewtx
10-03-2011, 04:50 AM
I was supposed to have an interview with them on Friday, but no one showed up. I've emailed them, but have not received a response yet. I know this has happened to others before, what happens from here? How did y'all schedule another interview?

giznangel
10-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi aewtx - I'm so sorry that happened to you. Do you know who the interview was supposed to be with? If you do I may be able to give you their direct email. If you don't know who it was supposed to be contact the company explaining that no one showed up for your interview and they should reschedule you.

I am sending you a PM with names and emails.

aewtx
10-04-2011, 08:51 PM
No, they didn't specify who would be conduct the interview, just someone from HR. I emailed them again this morning to follow up, and haven't heard anything back yet. I'll give them another day or so before I contact the people you PMed me. Thanks for that. If I still don't hear anything after that, I'm moving on to other companies. Thanks again.

bcwf
11-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Can someone tell me if you need a degree to do this? It sounds interesting but I've not completed my bachelors degree yet. Thank you.

aewtx
11-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Can someone tell me if you need a degree to do this? It sounds interesting but I've not completed my bachelors degree yet. Thank you. Don't remember, but it might be ok as long as you're in the process of getting it. You might want to contact them to ask.

Karbyn Eilde
11-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Where do you go to apply for TutorABC or find out more about it?

I tried just tutorabc . com and that looked like a regular site for end users, not an instructional site at all.

thanks for a point in the right direction.

aewtx
11-05-2011, 10:52 PM
here you go:
http://recruit.tutorabc.com/asp/a.asp

If you decide to apply, let me know and I can give you my referral name :D

Good luck!

Rebecca0630
11-06-2011, 08:08 AM
I am considering applying and have a question about the pay and sessions. I believe someone said the sessions are about an hour long and the pay is around $8/hr. So, it sounds like you would have to do a lot of sessions in order to get much out of this as far as pay goes. About how many sessions do you do a day?
I also have a question about the video on the application. What is the video about and what are you supposed to say in it? Do you have to use the headset in the video?
Thanks for all of the information. It sounds like a good job, just had a few questions before applying. Thanks.

aewtx
11-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Yes, the base pay is around $8, but there are potentials for bonus pay, depending on the rating a student gives you on the lesson.

I think the video is used to see how your English really is. People won't be able to lie about their skills. I just talked about my tutoring/teaching experiences. Yo don't need the hheadset for the video, but you will need it for the live interview, which generally occurs soon after they review the video.

TutorABC is 24/7. You can book as many classes as you want, but new consultants are required to work 10 hours during their peak hours (weekends). Each class is 45 minutes long, but you are supposed to set up 15 minutes prior, so technically it's 1 hr each.

hope that helps.

sixalarm
11-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Wow! I am glad I found this discussion....I am currently a freelance writer and am looking for some other ways to make money online. Web content writing will drive you nuts after a few hours! I noticed you said you could book as many sessions as you wanted. I was just wondering how difficult it is to book sessions? The 8hr is not bad but its really only worth it if I could do like 5 or 6 a day. Is that difficult to do? Sorry to ask so many questions. I just wanted to make sure it was worth it before I go out and buy a webcam. Thanks for the help!

Rebecca0630
11-10-2011, 12:08 PM
I sent in my application and was just wondering about how long does it usually take to hear back from them?

aewtx
11-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Wow! I am glad I found this discussion....I am currently a freelance writer and am looking for some other ways to make money online. Web content writing will drive you nuts after a few hours! I noticed you said you could book as many sessions as you wanted. I was just wondering how difficult it is to book sessions? The 8hr is not bad but its really only worth it if I could do like 5 or 6 a day. Is that difficult to do? Sorry to ask so many questions. I just wanted to make sure it was worth it before I go out and buy a webcam. Thanks for the help!You can book as many as you want, but being scheduled (confirmed) is not a guarantee. The consultants with higher ratings get first dibs. But the majority of my classes have been scheduled. You can easily get 6 in a day.

Hope that helps.

Rebecca - They usually contact you pretty quickly, from what I've heard from other applicants. They contacted me pretty quickly too. The whole hiring process is pretty fast.

Rebecca0630
11-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Thanks. I hope to hear back soon. And, thanks for all of the info.

ForeverAngela
11-10-2011, 09:46 PM
I just taught my first session tonight and loved it! Its not phone work, and its actually interesting!! Great hours to choose from and the pay is 8.50 per hour plus bonuses for good ratings!

Rebecca0630
11-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Just got an email saying I could schedule an interview. Earliest one available is Mon. Any tips or anything I should expect for the interview?

aewtx
11-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Nothing in particular; it's like any other interview. So just the standard interview stuff - professional attire, ask questions, don't ask about pay until it is brought up, etc.

Oh, maybe one. Make sure you set things up to where you will be conducting the lessons - white background, no distracting noise, headset, webcam.

Ok, maybe two haha. Make sure you have the time correct. If I remember correctly, the interview time is Taiwan time, so you need to adjust to your local time.
Currently, it is 2:21 AM in Taiwan, 12:21PM in CST.

Good luck!

Rebecca0630
11-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the help. Just to be sure, it says my interview is at 11 a.m. (GMT), so if you're saying it's Tiwan time, then the interview would be 10 p.m. EST right?

aewtx
11-12-2011, 10:28 AM
yes, that's right :)

diva_ga
12-02-2011, 10:55 AM
What is the min. number of hours you're required to work per week?

Could I just work 5 or 6 sessions per week??

KimmyB
01-03-2012, 08:09 AM
I just started working for Tutor ABC this past month. So far it has been a wonderful experience. I am learning a lot and having fun. I expect to get my first check next week. The staff is very supportive and will answer any questions you have. My experience so far has been pretty good.

Everyone is required to work a minimum of 15 hours per week and there is some opportunity for additional hours on occasion as well.

Vindo
01-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I have been working with TutorABC for over 3 years now on and off and have worked other online jobs.

This opportunity or job depends on how you look at it and to what degree of importance and professionalism you want to give it.... It has given my family and I the ability and opportunity to live comfortably overseas on and off for a few years now.

The first time the opportunity was offered to me was when I was living in Indonesia with my family and teaching in Indonesia (The pay in Indonesia for teachers usually isn't that great)

So a friend of mine said hey try this out it pays........so I went and bought a computer for $400 usd.(Paid too much but oh well!!)

Now I am on my way I thought...but OH NO....It couldn't be that easy!!!

The connection that I started with was (Speedy Telkom Surabaya) crap 1.5 mbps connection 200 us per month not worth it maybe different now as I think they offer 3 mbps now for around the same price but I would't count on them just my feeling or you will limit your time that you can teach because of connection speeds. It's the National Telephone Company.

Freakin Internet is crap okay what do I need to do???

I connected with some private ISP's over Skype in Bali and found out they had the connection I needed but was going to be paying through my teeth.(300 usd per month dedicated 192 kbps Download and 156 kbps upload) Scraping the bottom of the barrel but being dedicated it worked.

Oh well I needed to pay for the connection to live in Paradise..

Learned tonnes about connections and capabilities valuable information...I give my lifestyle to taking the time to really understand bandwith.

Cool I was hooked!!!

Anytime that I have needed extra money or wanted to work more hours. Tutorabc has always been there!!!AND ALWAYS PAYS LIKE CLOCK WORK!!!

The staff rules!!!! They are awsome and very flexible but the truth is your connection is so important to the staff, yourself and the client to get the ratings to get the bonuses. This makes your life stress free and easy...

Oh and get a battery pack that gives you at least hour computer time so if the power goes out you have time to make it easier on the Staff to find someone to replace your next shift.

I now pay for a 5 mbps connection in Batam Indonesia (25 km south of Singapore)$350 usd per month....I know you are saying wow what the flip is that I say BIG DEAL......because it gives me what I need from back home for that price and I don't have to worry about my connection not working when I need to make money.(Singapore, Indonesian and USA company that I use now.)

I feel spoiled living over here...I get to work from home and spend time with my family on and off all day with taking a few days off when I want to travel around the island's or fly off to another country for the weekend.

Example Bali to Bangkok with Air Asia $130 usd return....Loving it..

I get all and more of the conveniences of home but in Paradise...45 min by ferry from Singapore. (Great for flights)

Batam Island is the only Island in Indonesia were a foriegner can own 100% of the property.

Poperty prices start at about $8000 usd for small new 2 bedroom townhouse.

VOIP(Vonage with my home number in Canada)
Slingbox from the US(Dish Network/Direct TV)
Multiple wireless units running in my Brand New 2 bed townhouse rental costs around $150 - $300 usd per month but working compuer hard lined.
Xbox live
Ability to VPN to Anywhere
US IP Address(good for Netflix,Hulu ect...)
Enough connection for to Sling US TV over work and enough bandwith for the wife and kid to be on their tablets.

So total expenses including house, food , Vonage World, Dish Network, Internet, motorcycle ect... in Indonesia about 1000 usd per month. Dream come true!!!!

So pic a country but make sure you have the proper connection. Don't hope or guess that your connection will be fine. Do the research, get a ticket and your on your way..

TutorABC is an opportunity depends on how you want to use it....It has always been good to me...

KimmyB
01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
I just received my first payment from Tutor ABC. The staff is very nice and I am having a great time. I would suggest them to anyone wanting to teach English online.

lsf
01-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Congrats! I have an interview with them tonight. I'm used to tutoring students one-on-one with my other tutoring gig so this will be a change for me.

dmbaker
01-16-2012, 01:01 PM
To Isf and others on this topic...do you need to be a teacher to be able to teach English as a Second Language on the TutorABC.com site? I am not a teacher with a degree in teaching. But I did teach or tutor ASL and I did teach phlebotomy to firefighters in a hospital setting some years ago. What I am trying to say is that I am educated but not as an English teacher. I was also and interpreter for the deaf at the local community college. But working at home sounds better.

I do hope that everyone that has already applied gets the job.

Insomniac64
03-20-2012, 12:07 PM
My experience with TutorABC is that they imply that you will be scheduled for at least 10 classes weekly, but in reality you bid for those hours, and often get no classes scheduled. For a busy company they need to stop hiring tutors and instead, book the employees they have so they can earn a living. There are better companies to teach for!

swampwiz
03-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I don't see how to apply there!

Insomniac64
03-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Just a word about them...You have to do training online unpaid, on your own, and then they simply tell you to start work in a few days, without ever seeing you teach or allowing you to watch others teach. It is all watching videos. Then, once you pass, they "schedule" you to work, but the classes don't get assigned so in reality, you are making $8.50 an hour IF you have a class, and there are MANY schools that pay much better, and who actually give you students

IntexcelAus
03-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi everyone,

We're an Australian company that offers online English language training like TutorABC.

Our rate of pay is $12 per hour. Lessons are 50 minutes, plus 10 minutes for admin etc.

If you'd like an alternative to TutorABC to consider please consider us!

You can Google our company name to find our website, Intexcel Australia.

Regards,
Intexcel Australia

djunamod
03-28-2012, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Hi everyone,

We're an Australian company that offers online English language training like TutorABC.

Our rate of pay is $12 per hour. Lessons are 50 minutes, plus 10 minutes for admin etc.

Regards,
Intexcel Australia

End Quote

Hi,
Thank you for posting this. I found the ad from Intexcel Australia for the online English tutor position here:

Online English Tutor for Intexcel Australia (http://www.jobhost.org/jobs/viewjob/online-english-tutor-e755c3b94d9cf3a6?source=indeed&medium=organicia)

There wasn't an email, so I applied through Indeed. If there is an email that we should send the resume and introduction video to that is preferable, please let us know.

Thank you!
Djuna

IntexcelAus
03-28-2012, 03:44 AM
Hi All,

Sorry, should have included our website (wasn't able to before as we're a new member of this Forum).

Our website is www.int-excel.com.

Regards,
Intexcel Australia

mommy2tt
04-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I did not see where to apply for a position at intexcel. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

djunamod
04-02-2012, 05:55 AM
K., I just sent my resume through the Indeed apply option. I posted the link to the Indeed ad in my response in this thread.

Djuna

Aaron Young
04-02-2012, 10:55 PM
This is great post.

JackW
04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't see how to apply there!
You can apply here: http://recruit.tutorabc.com

gio
05-01-2012, 01:05 PM
Regards,
Intexcel Australia[/QUOTE]

Hi, I've been teaching in Tutor ABC close to 100 hours. I am not sure what happens after, like if they raise the ehourly rate or what? Well, I can check into ent-excel. How do I applay?
Gio.

djunamod
05-02-2012, 03:26 AM
Regards,
Intexcel Australia

Hi, I've been teaching in Tutor ABC close to 100 hours. I am not sure what happens after, like if they raise the ehourly rate or what? Well, I can check into ent-excel. How do I applay?
Gio.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, I don't know that any company hiring ESL teachers would accept someone who writes with the type of errors above ("ehourly", "ent-excel", "applay"). Keep in mind that one of the goals of online ESL jobs is to correct students with grammar. So employers want to see that those applying have top notch grammar and spelling skills.

I'm not trying to put you down, but it's just something to be aware of :D.

Djuna

vvelez
06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
I've just finished my first month. Does anyone know what day deposits are made? I did the wire transfer option and want to know when to start looking for it. I've never done wire transfer only direct deposit so I hope it all goes well.

HiItsBrian
06-18-2012, 11:18 AM
I had an interview scheduled for TutorABC. The time came and went. I e-mailed them about 5 minutes after the start time, no reply to that. Nobody contacted me for the interview. Looks like they changed their minds?

I eventually uninstalled their "helper" software, but it took a minute. Be careful with installing anything from untrusted sources.

lulaboa
06-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Same thing that happened to me today. I was scheduled for an interview today. I waited for an hour and a half but didn't hear anything from them. I emailed them back to reschedule, I didn't get a reply. Or at least not yet.:confused:

mankatogirl
06-20-2012, 11:05 AM
I have been working for TutorABC for a couple of weeks now. Have taught 17 sessions. Each session is 45 minutes long.

Pluses: Work at home
No preparation needed-all lesson plans ready for you to use
Pay: $8.50/hour plus bonuses
IT support is good.

Minuses:

Rating system: This is a constant source of discouragement or encouragement for me. Some days I will get 10's, other days 5 or 6's. The average rating to keep bookings is 8.5 or above. They really want your rating to be 8.79 or higher to get bookings. Right now, my rating is 8.02 but it fluctuates after each session.

Difference in teaching philosophy-These students want to be corrected, corrected, corrected! They complain if you don't correct them and then they give you a lower rating because you did not correct them. This is a very different philosophy than in American school systems where self-correction is promoted.

Lesson plans can be too long and therefore you don't get a chance to complete them with students. And then, the students complain!

So, if you like to work with students teaching them online and you are willing to take constructive criticism, go for it!

Also, if you live in the USA, the time difference will be about 13 hours.

mankatogirl
06-20-2012, 11:09 AM
So, if the truth were to be known, expect to be rated each and every single time you teach and expect to have your ego battered a bit here and there!:o

djunamod
06-22-2012, 09:03 AM
I have been working for TutorABC for a couple of weeks now. Have taught 17 sessions. Each session is 45 minutes long.

Pluses: Work at home
No preparation needed-all lesson plans ready for you to use
Pay: $8.50/hour plus bonuses
IT support is good.

Minuses:

Rating system: This is a constant source of discouragement or encouragement for me. Some days I will get 10's, other days 5 or 6's. The average rating to keep bookings is 8.5 or above. They really want your rating to be 8.79 or higher to get bookings. Right now, my rating is 8.02 but it fluctuates after each session.

Difference in teaching philosophy-These students want to be corrected, corrected, corrected! They complain if you don't correct them and then they give you a lower rating because you did not correct them. This is a very different philosophy than in American school systems where self-correction is promoted.

Lesson plans can be too long and therefore you don't get a chance to complete them with students. And then, the students complain!

So, if you like to work with students teaching them online and you are willing to take constructive criticism, go for it!

Also, if you live in the USA, the time difference will be about 13 hours.

Thanks for being so up front, mankatogirl. I was considering applying with them this summer, but if the amount of work you get is contingent on the ratings you get almost exclusively, I will pass. I'm familiar with that way of working. Even if the student is in a bad mood that day that has nothing to do with you, they take it out on your lesson and then you get a low rating when you've done your job. I've seen many teachers basically do whatever the student wanted, whether it was conducive to their learning or not, just to get a high rating. No thanks. I'd rather have a system where student rating is only part of the evaluation process for teachers.

Ironically, I'm working right now on ground at a language school that is paying about the same rate per 45 minutes and even though it's not as convenient as online, the evaluation process is not solely based on whether the student likes you or not. So If I'm already going for a low-paying part-time job, I'd rather do something like that.

Djuna

mankatogirl
07-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Well, I found out that every month your ratings start over so with today's lessons, I'm up a bit over last month.

I think the most important thing for me is to become proficient with the online interface. It's a bit tricky listening, typing, correcting errors, and such. Every day gets a little easier to do this multi-tasking.

XeniaZilli
07-07-2012, 11:54 AM
I am a TutorABC teacher/consultant, since December 2011. Well, they pay me 7$ per 45 min and I find that low especially because my rating is almost always above 9. I have a great success with students and love teaching but if I could I would change the job that pays better and treats teachers better.
We are obliged to cancel the session 24 hours before the session while they can do it only 1 hour before. You sit and wait and never know if you will have a class or not. The other reason is, it doesn't really matter how god you are and how high is your rating... if you dare say anything, complain about changing lesson plans just a few minutes before the session or reject additional session you might end up facing "cancelled" sessions quite often. As my mentor mentioned to me "Be nice to schedulers" ... well....... how nice one has to be really.... one would think that being a good teacher is the most important thing......

fatpanda
07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Has anyone worked with the juniors? How's that like compared to the adults?

aewtx
07-10-2012, 08:26 PM
I am a TutorABC teacher/consultant, since December 2011. Well, they pay me 7$ per 45 min and I find that low especially because my rating is almost always above 9. I have a great success with students and love teaching but if I could I would change the job that pays better and treats teachers better.
We are obliged to cancel the session 24 hours before the session while they can do it only 1 hour before. You sit and wait and never know if you will have a class or not. The other reason is, it doesn't really matter how god you are and how high is your rating... if you dare say anything, complain about changing lesson plans just a few minutes before the session or reject additional session you might end up facing "cancelled" sessions quite often. As my mentor mentioned to me "Be nice to schedulers" ... well....... how nice one has to be really.... one would think that being a good teacher is the most important thing......

Something is wrong if you are only getting paid that little, especially if you are getting high ratings. Do you fill out all the feedbacks within 24 hours? If you don't, you don't get paid for the ones that aren't done in a timely fashion. If you do, you need to bring up your pay to them, because it's in writing how much you should get paid.

I personally think that TutorABC is very nice, and actually bend over backwards to work with your schedule. They have always been really accommodating with me. As for waiting around, yeah, that sucks, but the way I see it, I already knew in advance that I need to block out that time. If it turns out that I'm not teaching during that hour, then I just got myself an extra hour to do something else.

djunamod
07-12-2012, 05:54 AM

Xenia, that sounds just like the company that I left! It's an on-ground thing not in the US, so I won't mention the company name, since it's not relevant. But it was exactly the same deal - very low pay, very little respect for teachers, and a scheduler who was a female dog but you had to be nice to in order to get work. I left after 2 months. I loved the teaching itself, but the company itself was all about profits and didn't care one darn about its teachers. I'd rather have an online option, thank you!

Djuna

djunamod
07-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Something is wrong if you are only getting paid that little, especially if you are getting high ratings. Do you fill out all the feedbacks within 24 hours? If you don't, you don't get paid for the ones that aren't done in a timely fashion. If you do, you need to bring up your pay to them, because it's in writing how much you should get paid.

I personally think that TutorABC is very nice, and actually bend over backwards to work with your schedule. They have always been really accommodating with me. As for waiting around, yeah, that sucks, but the way I see it, I already knew in advance that I need to block out that time. If it turns out that I'm not teaching during that hour, then I just got myself an extra hour to do something else.

As for the "waiting around" - do you get paid for those classes where the student doesn't show up?

Djuna

aewtx
07-12-2012, 05:49 PM
As for the "waiting around" - do you get paid for those classes where the student doesn't show up?

Djuna

I think what Xenia was referring to was whether or not knowing if we would even have a class to teach for an allotted time. What happens is you are tentatively booked for a class, and you won't know until an hour beforehand if it is confirmed.

But yes, if you had a class confirmed, but a student does not show up, you still get paid for that student. You just aren't eligible for a bonus for that student. (Bonuses are paid per student).

Skype de English
07-18-2012, 01:13 AM
Try this new Online English School in Japan.

Its called Skype de English ネイティブオンライン英会話スカイ de イングリッシュ S.de.E - (http://www.skypedeenglish.com)

The whole page is in Japanese language . but dont worry , once you are registered and logged into your teacher page , all menu are in English for you .

Pretty cool and user friendly teacher's page interface.

Lessons are reserved and booked on this website and tutors would get lesson notification messages ( Time ,day ,course name , Students Skype name .... )

Since this is a new Skype tutoring website , you might have to patient until you could get regular students . Trial lesson is 15 minutes , during this 15 minutes you can do your best to sell and turn the student into a regular learner or Not.

Pay is not bad for a free English chat with a Japanese Student and get paid like 10 to 12 Dollars for a 25 minutes Conversation on skype , and if if the student reserves your lesson for 50 minutes , then you double the fee , ( 25 dollars for a 50 minute Conversation in english on skype ) . To be paid to your PayPal account ,once a month .

Your monthly lessons will be calculated and you will get paid a total amount of .....

Lets say you tought 10 lessons , then 10 x 12 dollars = 120 dollars

its just an example of the fee for a free Conversation course .

There are other courses like Business English Course - 25 minute lesson you get $14 and for a 50 minute course ,you'll get almost $30

Or for TOEFL and IELTS courses the same rule applies.

Teachers determine their own schedules . this means you log into your page on
ネイティブオンライン英会話スカイ de イングリッシュ S.de.E - (http://www.skypedeenglish.com) and open lesson hours to recieve lesson bookings from students ( if you get lucky )

or even cancel already opened hours and do other stuff .Pretty flexible and all done under your control .

Guys its a new English Language website ,teaching mainly Japanese Students.

If you like to get to know Japanese culture, Food, People ,....

Its a good chance to become a tutor and join on this online school. Worth the Try !

Email your request at :

info@skypedeenglish.com

And you will have to have a short interview on skype with the admin as well.

admin Skype name : s.de.e.steven

Add it and send a request message . get in touch with him

Good luck

freelancewriter
07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
I'd like to know if it is really possible to work 20 or more hours for TutorABC? Are most of the time-slots snatched up, and it's difficult to get even 10?

mankatogirl
07-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Although I sign up every week for 15 hours of work, I average about 12 hours per week. Remember that TutorABC has a rating system. My average rating is 8.36 right now. If I had a rating of 8.5 or above, I'm told that I would have 15 hours a week.

They do pay like clockwork, you need to apply and be prepared to work teaching English. You will have to know grammar, vocabulary, how to correct students, how to be patient, how to direct the lesson, etc.

Like another person said about her job, "It's a pretty good gig."

I like it but then, I have taught for over 15 years so I know the routine of teaching students.

mankatogirl
07-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Has anyone worked with the juniors? How's that like compared to the adults?

Yes, I have worked with TutorABCJr.

My background for the past several years has been in teaching English as a Second Language for children so this is an easy task for me.

The main thing that bothers me is that some of the children are up so late to learn their English. Just my personal opinion that children should be in bed before 9:00 at night!:)

I have had a couple of issues with control of the whiteboard, once in a while, a student might get control and write all over the board. Other factors that seem more prevalent with students are interest level decreasing after 30 minutes.

I find the most challenging aspect of teaching children is having to explain some concepts that have not been introduced in the lesson but should have been taught in earlier lessons.
For example, explaining how to use present progressive---students may or may not have had that concept before the lesson you are teaching. Some grammar concepts take more than one 45 minute lesson to master!

That's my input on teaching Juniors, I do about one lesson a week with TutorABCJr.
I think they are planning to expand this portion of their business so perhaps I will have more students later on.

freelancewriter
07-22-2012, 01:41 PM
It's great to be able to use my skills again. Writing can be so isolating.

mankatogirl
07-23-2012, 12:11 PM
So, if the truth were to be known, expect to be rated each and every single time you teach and expect to have your ego battered a bit here and there!:o

I guess I should modify this note to add, "You might get rated every time you teach." For example, some nights I teach 4 students but only 2 of them rate me. So far, I've taught 71 lessons and have had 71 reviews. Some of the those lessons were for groups of students.
95% of the reviews are 8's, 9's, and 10's but when students don't rate you, it is a mixed bag. If they would have given you a 8, your rating might have gone up.

So, when you have a group lesson, with several students rating you, the average rating is what gets you bonuses and such. Hope that clarifies the situation with the ratings.

I realized after I posted that what I stated was not 100% accurate. What I should have said was, "Each student has the opportunity to rate you. They may choose whether they take the time to rate you as a teacher or not."

XeniaZilli
07-25-2012, 07:06 AM

Djuna

Yes djunamod, I always fill the feed backs. I contacted management regarding my base payment rate and they told me that my overall rating is 8,80 since they calculated ALL the months together, not just a few last ones. It is understandable to get a bit lower rates when you start and until you get used to the system. It looks like they try hard to pay us as less as they can which is very tutor unfriendly, Also, ignoring a co-worker is considered rude in every culture but it seems they just don't care. I still get just 1-2 sessions per day and am still paid $7 per session although I receive comments like this almost every day:
"Thanks Xenia I benefited a lot form this course. I've met more than 30 English consultants via TutorABC program, and I would rank you top among them. Hope to see you again"[/B]
I would love to move to some other company that respects my knowledge and skills and myself as a person a tad bit more.

XeniaZilli
07-25-2012, 07:15 AM
Although I sign up every week for 15 hours of work, I average about 12 hours per week. Remember that TutorABC has a rating system. My average rating is 8.36 right now. If I had a rating of 8.5 or above, I'm told that I would have 15 hours a week.

They do pay like clockwork, you need to apply and be prepared to work teaching English. You will have to know grammar, vocabulary, how to correct students, how to be patient, how to direct the lesson, etc.

Like another person said about her job, "It's a pretty good gig."

I like it but then, I have taught for over 15 years so I know the routine of teaching students.

You see I have mentioned your average rating (omitting your name of course) to one of the managers and said that your basic payment rate is $8,5 and she told me that it is impossible, she said that tutors with the ratings bellow 8,5 are fired immediately! She advised me to "hit the average rating 9 and above" to be eligible for the payment raise. Of course to do that I will have to work for months because they calculate average rating of ALL months and i had a bit lower rating when I started to work.

mankatogirl
07-25-2012, 08:07 AM
You see I have mentioned your average rating (omitting your name of course) to one of the managers and said that your basic payment rate is $8,5 and she told me that it is impossible, she said that tutors with the ratings bellow 8,5 are fired immediately! She advised me to "hit the average rating 9 and above" to be eligible for the payment raise. Of course to do that I will have to work for months because they calculate average rating of ALL months and i had a bit lower rating when I started to work.

I am working, I am getting paid, I am getting average ratings of between 8-10 on lessons. I enjoy my job and think it is both fun and easy to teach with TutorABC.com. My rating is going up and although I do not have the high rating like you do (which you should pat yourself on the back for----:D) I am striving to make a rating average of 9 by the end of the next month of teaching.

Every day I learn something new and try to incorporate what I learn into my teaching. My goal is two-fold, to earn money and to teach English.

I guess we all have different experiences-mine has been positive.

XeniaZilli
07-26-2012, 12:58 AM
I am working, I am getting paid, I am getting average ratings of between 8-10 on lessons. I enjoy my job and think it is both fun and easy to teach with TutorABC.com. My rating is going up and although I do not have the high rating like you do (which you should pat yourself on the back for----:D) I am striving to make a rating average of 9 by the end of the next month of teaching.

Every day I learn something new and try to incorporate what I learn into my teaching. My goal is two-fold, to earn money and to teach English.

I guess we all have different experiences-mine has been positive.

My goal is to earn money and to teach English too. But I am not patting myself on the back really. The effort we put into teaching should reflect on our remuneration too. And don't forget my base payment rate is $7, not $8.5 like yours. This is what I am talking about. And I don't get many classes either. Wish I can figure it out why.

aewtx
07-26-2012, 01:31 AM
My goal is to earn money and to teach English too. But I am not patting myself on the back really. The effort we put into teaching should reflect on our remuneration too. And don't forget my base payment rate is $7, not $8.5 like yours. This is what I am talking about. And I don't get many classes either. Wish I can figure it out why.

Something weird is going on. I have never heard of anyone being treated like that. Also, the rating shouldn't be based on a cumulative score, but based on a monthly average. Is there another TutorABC out there?

If it is the same company, you need to bring up the contract, because that is legally binding. You are legally entitled to back pay then.

Or are you in a different country? Maybe the pay rate is different between countries? I don't know, although the attitude you mentioned is still quite different from my personal experience, as well as from what everyone else says too, so something weird is definitely going on.

XeniaZilli
07-26-2012, 03:40 AM
Something weird is going on. I have never heard of anyone being treated like that. Also, the rating shouldn't be based on a cumulative score, but based on a monthly average. Is there another TutorABC out there?

If it is the same company, you need to bring up the contract, because that is legally binding. You are legally entitled to back pay then.

Or are you in a different country? Maybe the pay rate is different between countries? I don't know, although the attitude you mentioned is still quite different from my personal experience, as well as from what everyone else says too, so something weird is definitely going on.

Yes, although I am not Greek, I live in Greece. I was quite happy actually, loved teaching and working for Tutor ABC until I saw your posts and realized that all of the teachers that posted here are paid more than me. I don't remember signing any contracts but then maybe I forgot (Where do I go to check that?).
Strangely enough I had plenty of classes at the beginning when my rating was lower than now. The cancellation of the sessions started in July and I wonder if some kind of school holiday season is the reason or maybe general lack of students or something like that. I actually asked my mentor and she told me that she is not allowed to tell me. Well...... I sent an email to PMOP; got no reply either. I am really, really confused to say the least....... but I continue teaching and giving my best trying to look at the positive side of it all. It would be great to get the classes though... because it is my main source of income right now.
P.S. The person I contacted regarding my rating was clear: The rating IS based on a cumulative score NOT on a monthly average. My monthly average is 9.17 for the last 3 months but the cumulative score is just 8.80. She said I need to hit 9 cumulative score and above to be eligible for a payment rise.

XeniaZilli
07-26-2012, 04:03 AM
Found the place where my contract is supposed to be! It is not there and I don't remember seeing it there ever. My fault. I suppose I should have checked that before.
Anyway I just hope I get enough classes and students to teach. Fingers crossed.....
Thank you all for your inputs.

djunamod
07-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Strangely enough I had plenty of classes at the beginning when my rating was lower than now. The cancellation of the sessions started in July and I wonder if some kind of school holiday season is the cause or maybe general lack of students or something like that. I actually asked my mentor and she told me that she is not allowed to tell me. Well...... I sent an email to PMOP; got no reply either. I am really, really confused to say the least....... but I continue teaching and giving my best trying to look at the positive side of it all. It would be great to get the classes though... because it is my main source of income right now.

It might be just because it's summer. I know that many tutoring companies have a lull during the summer and it's hard to get classes.

Djuna

XeniaZilli
07-26-2012, 06:28 AM
It might be just because it's summer. I know that many tutoring companies have a lull during the summer and it's hard to get classes.

Djuna

Yes, that's true. I finally, but I mean FINALLY got some answers, after asking so many times huh............... yes they told me it is slow now and and there is not many students, maybe because of the summer holidays............ apparently they were ashamed to admit that which left me in wonder if something is wrong with my teaching............. Thank god that is not the case........... So..... they offered me to teach juniors too..... and demos........... fingers crossed..............

mankatogirl
07-27-2012, 07:21 PM
XeniaZilli,

I am glad that they have offered to let you teach demos and juniors. I certainly hope you can start earning the $8.50/hr. that is promised in the contract.

With your good feedback and the ratings of over 9, I think you are doing your job very well. I just read the other day that in China alone, over 1/3 of the population is studying English at any time. So, keep your chin up and do keep honing your teaching skills. You are helping people learn reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills and that is so very important to the clients you work with.

fatpanda
08-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Can someone explain how paypal works with tutorabc? is there a fee for transferring money from paypal to my bank account?

XeniaZilli
08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Try this new Online English School in Japan.

Its called Skype de English ƒ‚ƒ†‚ƒ–‚ƒƒ‚ƒ‹š話‚‚‚ƒ —de ‚ƒ‚ƒƒƒ‚ƒ S.de.E - (http://www.skypedeenglish.com)

The whole page is in Japanese language . but dont worry , once you are registered and logged into your teacher page , all menu are in English for you .

Pretty cool and user friendly teacher's page interface.

Lessons are reserved and booked on this website and tutors would get lesson notification messages ( Time ,day ,course name , Students Skype name .... )

Since this is a new Skype tutoring website , you might have to patient until you could get regular students . Trial lesson is 15 minutes , during this 15 minutes you can do your best to sell and turn the student into a regular learner or Not.

Pay is not bad for a free English chat with a Japanese Student and get paid like 10 to 12 Dollars for a 25 minutes Conversation on skype , and if if the student reserves your lesson for 50 minutes , then you double the fee , ( 25 dollars for a 50 minute Conversation in english on skype ) . To be paid to your PayPal account ,once a month .

Your monthly lessons will be calculated and you will get paid a total amount of .....

Lets say you tought 10 lessons , then 10 x 12 dollars = 120 dollars

its just an example of the fee for a free Conversation course .

There are other courses like Business English Course - 25 minute lesson you get $14 and for a 50 minute course ,you'll get almost $30

Or for TOEFL and IELTS courses the same rule applies.

Teachers determine their own schedules . this means you log into your page on
ƒ‚ƒ†‚ƒ–‚ƒƒ‚ƒ‹š話‚‚‚ƒ —de ‚ƒ‚ƒƒƒ‚ƒ S.de.E - (http://www.skypedeenglish.com) and open lesson hours to recieve lesson bookings from students ( if you get lucky )

or even cancel already opened hours and do other stuff .Pretty flexible and all done under your control .

Guys its a new English Language website ,teaching mainly Japanese Students.

If you like to get to know Japanese culture, Food, People ,....

Its a good chance to become a tutor and join on this online school. Worth the Try !

Email your request at :

info@skypedeenglish.com

And you will have to have a short interview on skype with the admin as well.

admin Skype name : s.de.e.steven

Add it and send a request message . get in touch with him

Good luck

I wonder what is your experience with this school? How serious are they and do they pay regularly? I would like to try. I added Steven and well, he called me very early in the morning the moment I started my computer and appeared on SKYPE, didn't even ask me if is o.k. to call and requested video strait away. I apologized, said it's very early and I am still in my pajamas lol... hope she will call me back... Anyway if anyone has experience with them I hope you wouldn't mind sharing, just to have an idea what to expect...

mankatogirl
08-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Can someone explain how paypal works with tutorabc? is there a fee for transferring money from paypal to my bank account?
Yes, there is a small fee for transferring money from Paypal to your bank account. The fee is around 4%.

Some other companies use Western Union to transfer money and that is a flat fee of $15.00 per transaction.

You just have to ask these questions when you interview with companies. You do lose a small portion of your pay. :eek:

asktheprincipal
08-19-2012, 05:17 AM
I have several years of experience teaching adult ESL students. I loved it and would like to get back into it. Are there opportunites to teach adults?

James L. Casale, Ph.D.

mankatogirl
08-20-2012, 07:01 PM
I have several years of experience teaching adult ESL students. I loved it and would like to get back into it. Are there opportunites to teach adults?

James L. Casale, Ph.D.

James,
I teach adults with TutorABC and once in a while, I teach children. The bulk of my students are business professionals from the countries of Taiwan and China.

They are very serious about their education and wish to "move ahead in life" by mastering English.

I enjoy what I do with TutorABC and feel that I can offer professional teaching services for these students.

fatpanda
09-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Do you always receive payment on the 10th? Are there delays? (through paypal)

mankatogirl
09-15-2012, 07:01 AM
I get my payment on the 10th of the month from TutorABC. I have to wait a couple of days for the money to transfer to my bank account since I am paid by PayPal. Lose about 4% to PayPal and then pay taxes in Taiwan as well.

I'm happy with the reliability of the company. Plus, I get a happy gram saying I've been sent money!

ambered
10-10-2012, 10:47 PM
has anybody tried doing demo sessions? how was it and does it have the same pay rate?

Tashina Tucker
10-12-2012, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=IntexcelAus;2937401]Hi everyone,

Regards,
Intexcel Australia

I've been on your site and there is absolutely no way for me to contact you or apply to be tutor. Or is it that that people from my region of the world are not eligible for tutoring positions with your organisation? Would appreciate a response as soon as it becomes possible. Can you assist me in this stead, please? Thank you.

Tashina Tucker
10-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Hi,
I am a bit confused. I have gone to your site but there is no way there to make contact with you. I am interested in becoming a teacher with your organization. Would appreciate some feedback please. Thank you

SuzeeQue
10-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi,
I am a bit confused. I have gone to your site but there is no way there to make contact with you. I am interested in becoming a teacher with your organization. Would appreciate some feedback please. Thank you

I went through the "contact us" page on their website.

DeniskaboY
11-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Hey, dear teachers!

I'd like to try out TeacherABC, but can't find their contract anywhere on the site. There's plenty of issues involved, and I would like to verify them before applying. Can anyone help me with this? I heard TutorABC is quite good.

mankatogirl
11-10-2012, 08:02 AM
I love Tutor ABC. Now, I'll be honest, the pay is not that good but the students are dedicated, polite, and interested in learning. What more could you ask for?

When I applied to work with TutorABC, I applied at this link http://recruit.tutorabc.com/program/join.asp so give this link a try. I'm not certain if they are hiring right now but it can't hurt to apply.

Lydia2000
11-27-2012, 10:19 AM
What are the exact specs to apply for the job? what experience do i need? is it possible to apply without any?

mankatogirl
11-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Teaching Degree-ESL teaching degree preferred
Internet connection-high speed DSL
Ability to speak and explain English vocabulary and reading materials
Some knowledge of grammar

Other specifications found here http://recruit.tutorabc.com/program/requirements.asp

I've seen advertisements that they are hiring so give it a whirl if you have the qualifications. If you don't, not to worry. Another opportunity will come your way.

itsgms
11-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Just joined the forum--not a mom, sadly possessing that damaged X chromosome known as the Y.

I do, however, work for Tutor ABC, which is the reason I joined. Seems that there's not a lot of places for people to discuss their experiences or talk about the site; seems a shame, since it's always good to have a place to give and get advice.

I've been working with them for about 2 months or so now, just twice a week to start but now I've moved up to five days a week. I just finished my first hundred sessions and wanted to pass on some experiences I've had.

Base pay is $8.50/hr, and in each class you the opportunity or chance to earn bonuses. Each student can give you ratings once the class is done (from 1-10), and based on that rating you may get a bonus. If you are not rated, you will not get a bonus. If you are rated, and the average rating is 8 or higher, you will receive a bonus for each student who rated you.

IIRC 8 bonus is $0.50, 9 bonus is $0.75, and 10 bonus is $1. If I have a six-student class, and have an average rating of 9 (three students rate me, 8/9/10), then I would receive $8.50 base +$2.25 bonus for a total of $10.75 for the class. If your average rating for the class is lower than 8, then you will receive no bonus. Once, I was lucky enough to have a class of four students with whom I had a great rapport and got four 10s. That was a good class.

Each class is technically 45 minutes long, but you must log in a minimum of 5 minutes before the class starts (they prefer 15) in order to ensure that the materials are ready and the students can enter the room if they log in a wee bit early. Once the lesson is done, you need to evaluate the students on five different metrics (which I won't list here--I don't think I'd be breaking any rules if I did, but I'd rather not give competitors easy access to internal information). In the beginning, this took me a frakload of time as I struggled to remember each student since the order they enter the room is different than that listed on the class list.

Now, however, I have an excel file that I keep open on my second monitor (though you could do it in the background) which I use to fill out students' names, miscellaneous comments, evaluations and lesson plan comments.

At the moment, I've got an average rating of 9.3, which seems to be a good rating. I've seen some people in this thread say "they'll fire you if you get below 8.5!" but I think that's just sort of the party line to try and encourage people to work to stay above that.

For the most part, the students are quite happy and friendly. Most are eager to have the opportunity to learn from native English speakers, though I will admit that some of the older students are less willing to "unlearn" the things that textbooks teach which are not necessarily wrong, but are quite weird.

I had a little tiff with a student over the use of "fine" and why it's not *wrong* but it is boring as hell and they should try to avoid it. I'm guessing the student reported that (or "noted" it) because The Powers That Be reviewed my session and told me (in much better words) to drop it.

Which is another thing. All of your sessions are recorded. It's essentially the TABC version of "Your call may be monitored for quality assurance." &c &c. I don't have a problem with it, but it may make some people nervous.

When you give your availability, what you're essentially doing is saying "These are the times I'll be in front of the computer and ready to teach if you need me." There are no guaranteed hours, and when I was first starting out I would only work 3-4 sessions per 5-hour shift I took. Now, I get booked pretty much back to back, even when I'm not working peak times.

If you are booked in for a class, but the student doesn't come, you still get paid for that time. You do, however, have to stay in the 'classroom' for the whole time. That's no big deal, you just need to keep the window in the background and do your thing. Read the news and drink coffee, I think someone else said. That's what I do.

The materials are provided for you, and you're able to preview them as soon as the classes are assigned. Be aware that once classes are initially assigned, they can be changed up to an hour before the class. There have been times when I've dreaded a class or lesson plan only to have it swapped out for something awesome. Or vice versa.

Some of the LPs have mistakes or issues; I'm Canadian and I've seen quite the mix of American-, British- and Canadian-English based LPs. If you've got a working knowledge of the others, it's good because it means you can remind them that there is no "Standard" English and that they should be aware of the differences and variations.

*phew*.

I apologize for the TL;DR-ness of it all. I just wanted to give people my experience. I'm absolutely certain I've forgotten some things, but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask--I'm totally good to help.

Oh, and before I forget. I've got a Diploma of Technology (what y'alls South of the 49th would call an Associate's Degree), not a 4-year bachelor but I work for them. So even though they say they need a Bachelor's...it's not totally true. Though it probably helps that I've got 6 years of experience and a CELTA.

mankatogirl
12-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks for your concise reply about TutorABC. I've made several comments in earlier threads and am happy to report that now my rating is 9.0! Been working hard to review what students have said about my teaching to tweak things to make my teaching a positive experience for the students.

I wish there was a way to get every student to fill out a rating. I do remind them every time to fill out the rating but often they still do not. That does affect my rating. What do you suggest?

freelancewriter
12-01-2012, 02:57 PM
I don't think that it has been mentioned that they subtract a large amount for taxes, and your pay is less PayPal fees. I think that it was 20% for the taxes. Correct me if I'm wrong. They also need to have remote access of your computer while the computer tech person runs checks on your system. I've worked with them before, and that really made me uncomfortable. They ask for a color copy of your passport or driver's license, too. That's in addition to creating a video introduction.

itsgms
12-18-2012, 05:28 PM
I wish there was a way to get every student to fill out a rating. I do remind them every time to fill out the rating but often they still do not. That does affect my rating. What do you suggest?

What I usually do just as the timer turns red or just a half-minute before is say "OK guys thanks so much for coming today, now I'd like to as a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge favour of you. Please fill in the feedback for me 'cause that's the only way I (and my bosses) know if I'm doing a good job or not! Thanks again guys and have a great day!"
I don't think that it has been mentioned that they subtract a large amount for taxes, and your pay is less PayPal fees. I think that it was 20% for the taxes. Correct me if I'm wrong. They also need to have remote access of your computer while the computer tech person runs checks on your system. I've worked with them before, and that really made me uncomfortable. They ask for a color copy of your passport or driver's license, too. That's in addition to creating a video introduction.

They do deduct taxes, and it's 18% (standard taxes for foreign consultants according to the Taiwanese tax code). I'm not sure about where you are, but here the taxes I pay a foreign national government are credited for the taxes I pay at home--so I only have to pay the difference between the two. And yes, they do ask for pictures of Photo ID. To be honest, both of those things kind of comforted me:legitimate companies need to know who you are and have to pay taxes. If they didn't do either I'd kind of be sketched out.

I haven't been nailed with any Paypal fees, but they have said that if you make more than (I think) $550USD in a month, they'll also offer a wire transfer and they'll cover the transfer fee. As it stands the only fees I pay Paypal are the exchange rates (which are a bit steep, almost 4%).

And yeah, the techs have to remote in sometimes which does kind of give me a bit of anxiety, but just clean up your desktop and make sure not to leave any sensitive information open and out there. When they remote in, your desktop blacks out in case you have pictures of kids or "certain topics" and they can't see it. When they remote in it doesn't mean you lose control of your computer either, so if they're doing something you don't want them to you can still close windows and the like.

riri
12-19-2012, 11:24 PM
What is the introductory video supposed to be like when you first start? I have just applied and I am on my last stage and need to upload a video introduction. What would you suggest?

mankatogirl
12-21-2012, 06:00 PM
Mention your educational background, your desire to help students learn English, your expertise in the area of working with students.

I kept my video to less than 2 minutes and I would like to change it since the camera angle was quite off. Most important is to tell your experience----students want to take lessons with someone who knows what they are doing.

fatpanda
01-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Hello all, I have been with the company for about 5 months now, and tax season here in America is quickly approaching.

Can someone educate me how we go about filing our taxes since this would be my first time filing with TutorABC.

Thanks so much!

aewtx
01-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I am also wondering how we treat the taxes for the US, since the company is Taiwanese. Also, do they take out taxes for Taiwan so that we get a net amount? Their paystubs are rather confusing.

Would this mean that we're getting taxed twice (one for Taiwan and once for US)?

itsgms
01-23-2013, 01:39 AM
I've just sent off an email, 'cause your guys' comments has now made me a bit curious. I don't think I had any taxes taken off for my first set, but it may have been because I didn't earn enough to qualify for taxes in the last quarter. But who knows, I may be wrong. I'll get back to you when they get back to me.

fatpanda
01-23-2013, 05:37 AM
This is what I've gathered from google -

Tax Topics - Topic 856 Foreign Tax Credit (http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc856.html)

However, I'm not sure how to go about it.

Can't wait to hear back from you!

fatpanda
02-08-2013, 05:08 AM
I've just received my withholding tax forms from TutorABC but I don't know what to do with them. Does anyone know?

mankatogirl
02-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Did they e-mail you the statement? I haven't received mine yet. Don't really know what to do except let the tax professional figure it out.

fatpanda
02-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Did they e-mail you the statement? I haven't received mine yet. Don't really know what to do except let the tax professional figure it out.

I had to e-mail them asking for the statements then they sent it to me within 2-3 days.

itsgms
02-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Indeed, sorry. I emailed them and got what they call "pay stubs" or the tax withholding forms.

I have a hunch my accountant is going to insist I have them translated and notarized. With luck, my accountant will tell me I work as an indepedant contractor under Canadian law so I can deduct my internet and other things from my income taxes.

fatpanda
02-12-2013, 04:58 AM
Indeed, sorry. I emailed them and got what they call "pay stubs" or the tax withholding forms.

I have a hunch my accountant is going to insist I have them translated and notarized. With luck, my accountant will tell me I work as an indepedant contractor under Canadian law so I can deduct my internet and other things from my income taxes.

Will you be seeing your accountant soon? Would love to hear back from you. I wanted to do my taxes by myself but if it's going to be complicated, I may have to seek out a professional.

mankatogirl
02-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Hello all,

I received an e-mail today that I should update my video and my photo ID. Yes, that is reasonable to expect. Now, I would like to improve my video so I was wondering if anyone had a link to see other consultant videos.

Let me know if you can come up with anything.

Ever learning,

Jody

fatpanda
03-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Is anyone having any connection issues with the TutorABC network lately? Like slow loading, lag, etc..?

rhondap
03-09-2013, 11:27 AM
I was just on their site about to apply and it says they require a wired connection not a wireless....I am wireless....what do I do?

How long does it take to do the application....I'm in my PJ's is there a video involved?

itsgms
03-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Rhonda, easy solution: get an RJ45 cable. That's a "network cable" if you go to most places. Avoid Best Buy or any other big shop, find your handy neighborhood computer shop. Best Buy had a 20' cable for about $40 or so, but the smaller computer shop down the street from me sold me a 100' cable for $25. Never trust the bigger stores on accessories.

Once you apply, they'll contact you to arrange for an interview date and time. You'll need to have a webcam and headset/mic--but keep in mind that the webcam that may have been installed in your monitor or your laptop will not be acceptable for them. The preinstalled ones are usually giant pieces of crud and won't work. A good headset is a must, don't cheap out on it. On a short day, I work 3-4 hours (usually when I've got plans in the evening). On long days I work for 10 hours. My headset has some beautifully soft padding on the ear pieces which is a godsend because my last one pinched my glasses in to the side of my head and hurt like a futhermocker. I think I may be upgrading shortly to custom-moulded IEMs and a clip-on mic just for comfort and convenience's sake.

It's been awhile, but I seem to recall that after the interview, they ask you to teach a quick 15 minute demo lesson, and if the student doesn't hate you, you're in. Then you have to record a video of yourself (short 60-second thingie) and upload it. My videos always came up oversized, so I recorded mine through their tool on the site...but I was later told that I could email or upload it and link it to the recruiting people and they'd resize it for me. d'oh.

Also, something important to note. TutorABC has just recently changed their policies and are requiring all of their tutors to have some sort of TESOL certification. While you might panic initially, they have a deal with some sort of online school where you pay a fee, do some writing and get the paper. If you just want to make some money on the side or from home and don't really care about the long-term, do their online thing. If you actually want to learn how to teach, go find a reputable school in your area and do some sort of properly accredited TESOL. My recommendation is the Cambridge-run CELTA; when I did mine it was hugely eye-opening and an absolutely amazing experience. It was also very not cheap at $2500 CAD for a month-long course.

Still haven't visited my accountant yet. Slacking and dragging my feet. Lesigh.

rhondap
03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
Thank you very much!

fatpanda
05-16-2013, 07:27 AM
I wish we could give more input on lessons. Some of these lessons are horribly made. Most are good though.

mankatogirl
05-16-2013, 06:31 PM
I have tried to give very specific input on the lessons with Tutor ABC now that I have been working with them for nearly a year. For example, I might advise the writer to include more practice or to give more instruction about a particular topic.

Some of the lessons are very well written and I truly enjoy teaching them. Others are like a shell---I scramble to fill in the missing information. I keep my white grammar book to the side in case I need to look up a grammar point.

All in all, the variety of the lessons is quite incredible.

fatpanda
05-17-2013, 06:16 AM
How do you deal with clients who speak over others very loudly?

mankatogirl
05-25-2013, 11:06 AM

I can't say I have had that issue very often. In my opinion (don't I sound like one of our students?) I would suggest that " xxxx, please give yyyyy a chance to speak out."

itsgms
06-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I have a habit of keeping a jovial mood throughout the class, and an energetic one at that. When students will jump in over others, this is my typical response

"woahwoahwoahwoahwoah <brief pause for chuckles> It's great that you're so enthusiastic, but come on, give <other student's name> a chance to get a word in!"

That'll usually calm them down enough that they'll at least wait until I call on them the next time.

itsgms
06-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Which site does it direct you to?

tip13
08-21-2013, 02:41 PM
I have been working for Tutor ABC for a couple months now...and I love it :p But I am always looking how to have better lighting. What are some of the ways you light up your teaching area? I am glad I found this forum so I can get to know others who are doing the same thing I am. :)

mankatogirl
08-25-2013, 06:52 PM
I have two lamps in my room, one right above my computer and one behind me. I turn both of them on (at least during the winter months) and try to make a triangle with the light.

I think the most important aspect is to keep some light behind the web cam.

There are some good video tutorials on lighting on youtube. Sorry I can't give you an exact link but that is where I got these suggestions.

And my lights were fairly cheap, about $12.00 each.

Jody B.

dbwolfe
09-05-2013, 04:22 AM
I just received an email to schedule an interview with Tutor abc. Should I purchase the head set before the interview? Also, what are the work hours like. How long are the shifts? Thanks! Any I of will help.

mankatogirl
09-06-2013, 10:29 AM
Hours for lessons with Tutor ABC run from
05:30-11:30 a.m.
19:30-23:30 p.m.

A few things to get used to with teaching with Tutor ABC-
1. Time zone difference. Taiwan is GMT + 8
2. Being rated all the time, each student has a chance to rate your teaching
3. Different students every lesson (mostly you will have different students, sometimes you will get repeat students)
4. Lesson time is 45 minutes long. Some lessons just fly by and other drag out. Depends on the level of students you get.

The headset I have is the one they recommend, the Microsoft Live Chat, I think I paid around $26.00 US for the headset. It works fine.

Overall, the pay is a bit low and yet, I continue to work with them since I like working at home and I have a degree in teaching ELL learners.

More questions, just ask!

dbwolfe
09-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the info. How is the interview process? I have no formal ESL teaching experience, but grew up in Asia and have a lot of Korean relatives I taught English to. I know it's not the highest paying job, but I too like to work from home and need the income o supplement my freelance writing income.

condra
09-15-2013, 03:32 AM
Guys, I have a few questions.

First of all, I've been now teaching for two weeks, and have a rating of 8.5 (ish). I had it better last week although it was my first, at 8,75 or thereabouts.

Question: how do students rate you? Sometimes they add comment such as ''great teacher'', ''very good lesson'', but their rating is still 9-8, is that normal? I really want to be getting 10s, and generally I want them to love the lesson, so any tips? I even got one 7 with a ''compliment'', so I'd appreciate if anyone knows anything.

mankatogirl
09-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Been working with students for over a year and my rating now stands at 9.16. Let me tell you, no matter how many times I state, "Please feel free to rate the lesson", students still don't rate me.

For example, I had a lesson with five students and none of them rated me. So, just the standard rate of pay with no bonuses.

I have found that most of my ratings are in the 9's when I do get rated. A few tens and a few eights. I'd like to have everyone rate me as a 10 and have yet to figure out the magic formula for getting the 10's out of students.

What I do though, is keep a calendar with my daily ratings as well as my pay next to my desk. This helps me to see if I am going up during the month or going down during the month.

After over 800 lessons under my belt, I must say that the rating scale does help me earn a few more dollars a month.

Wish I could give you that magic formula . . . I would say watch the tutorials for suggestions. Those helped me a tremendous amount when I was starting out.

fatpanda
09-16-2013, 08:20 AM
What level range do you guys teach?

I normally teach level 2-3's. Sometimes the lower levels are frustrating to teach when some clients are in the wrong level when they should be in like level 1 so it's hard to communicate with them when I don't know Chinese. Other than that, I still enjoy it after about 1000 lessons. I wish I could teach higher levels but I am not confident in myself teaching more advanced stuff. The thing that bugs me at the lower levels is that some lessons are just so horribly written and short. Sometimes I find myself finishing 10 minutes before the class is over because the lesson was either way too easy or too short/simple with barely any context. I have written many suggestions about the lessons but I never get any feedback from TutorABC so I don't know if they get my suggestions or not.

ms01
09-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Question: how do students rate you? Sometimes they add comment such as ''great teacher'', ''very good lesson'', but their rating is still 9-8, is that normal? I really want to be getting 10s, and generally I want them to love the lesson, so any tips? I even got one 7 with a ''compliment'', so I'd appreciate if anyone knows anything.

I have found that most of my ratings are in the 9's when I do get rated. A few tens and a few eights. I'd like to have everyone rate me as a 10 and have yet to figure out the magic formula for getting the 10's out of students.

Hi, ladies! I have no experience with TutorABC and definitely cannot speak for your students. However, I wanted to share my thoughts on this as a person who frequently takes surveys. Maybe some of your students have a similar thought process.

In general, I almost never give anything a maximum score for anything. I think a 10 should be reserved for something that is completely perfect with no possible room for improvement. I would generally would not award a 10 to something that was good or even great. Perhaps some of your students think the same way? On the other hand, I would definitely respond differently to a survey if I knew that my responses would affect people's paycheck. In that case, I'd be much more generous with scores. Do the students know that their survey responses actually matter?

Anyway, just a thought on that. Take it with as much salt as you want :p

condra
09-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Yeah I think they dont know how to rate '10's. I got 9s in my first weekend, 8s last one, let's see what this one brings. Also it's kinda stupid that if 2 students rate you 9 and one 8, the avg rating is STILL 8....

Sigh. I wish they paid a little better....

To answer FatPanda: I usually teach higher levels for some reason. 5 onwards, only had one 3 i think so far... and level 12 it's a pleasure :)

Kristina35
10-14-2013, 02:14 AM
Hi everyone
It's so nice I have found this forum.
I have been working with TutorABC for 3 months now and I am very happy.
My average rating is 9.2 currently.
The staff is friendly and very responsive and flexible.
I teach around 16 hours weekly with 7.50$ base rate..I get bonuses though and average pay per session is around 9$.

ashima1
10-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Hello,
The internet, fast broadband and interactive technologies have revolutionized communications. The impact has been huge and education is one area that has reaped the benefits. On the one hand, students and learners of all ages have new access to knowledge in a wide variety of subjects and skills. On the other, the growth of online tutoring jobs has provided earning, as well as learning, opportunities for tens of thousands of online tutors.

Online tutoring is attractive because of the flexibility it offers tutors. Online tutors can effectively write their own job description. Tutoring jobs online services offer the scope for people with the skills and the dedication to help learners to create a rewarding career for themselves or simply to pass on their knowledge and passion for their subject. It's an industry with almost as many niches as there are people to occupy them. Here are some of the ways that online tutors shape online tutoring jobs for themselves.

Career Tutoring Jobs

For people unwilling or unable to take up conventional teaching jobs, online tutoring can become a fully-fledged, full-time career. That career can be carved out according to the online tutor's preferences: the tutor can specify his or her own hours and specialize in the subject and/or skills areas they most enjoy and are themselves most skilled in.

Kristina35
10-30-2013, 03:38 AM
Guys, I have a few questions.

First of all, I've been now teaching for two weeks, and have a rating of 8.5 (ish). I had it better last week although it was my first, at 8,75 or thereabouts.

I understand the frustration.You do your best they seem happy and in the end they give you 8s or 7s with compliments.
There is no practical tip I am afraid..it depends on their perception of good teaching or their mood etc.
Recently I had a student who complained during the whole session about the lesson plan being "too simple" for him and in the end he gave me 6 with suggestion that "the lesson was too easy for me"
I reported an unfair client rating to the Comm center asking them to review the feedback.I told them that the student should be rating teacher's PERFORMANCE not the LESSON PLAN.
Fortunately the staff reviewed and removed his feedback :D

condra
11-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Well, I finally quit teaching with them - found better paying gigs :) so all good over here.

mankatogirl
11-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Well, I finally quit teaching with them - found better paying gigs :) so all good over here.

I have had an interview with Rosetta Stone and am waiting for that to be finalized. Then I will be contemplating saying farewell to Tutor ABC.

I did send them in some lesson plans since I would like to write lessons for them. Hopefully, I can continue on with them in that capacity.

Enjoy . . . and do tell where you will be working!

Jody

mankatogirl
11-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Well, after teaching 1075 lessons with Tutor ABC, I will be formally saying goodbye tomorrow.

What I have learned from this journey of teaching English online:

1. Tutor ABC is a good place to start on this journey. Please don't walk with them as long as I have since your paycheck will be quite low.
2. It is very helpful to have lessons ready to teach on a daily basis.
3. If you do teach for them a longer period of time, evaluate and keep track of your ratings and your pay. I kept track of each on a calendar right beside my desk.
4. Although the rating scale can keep your pay low, it can also help you to become a better teacher. Careful evaluation of your reviews will help you adjust your speaking speed, your teaching techniques, and your questioning skills.

All in all, I have enjoyed this venture. And yet, I would like to recommend this company as a starting company. If you are serious about making money, this is really not the place to be. So many other places offer you a better salary. Yes, you may have to make your own lesson plans but then, you may get paid more as well.

As I say to my students daily, Enjoy today!

Jody

Arieajiol
12-03-2013, 09:18 PM
I strongly recommend an ESL site called, "Tower Of English."

When you introspect that site, and after you are done observing it's context, you may actually love it.

I hope that helps.

youme
01-01-2014, 12:06 AM
Hi everyone
It's so nice I have found this forum.
I have been working with TutorABC for 3 months now and I am very happy.
My average rating is 9.2 currently.
The staff is friendly and very responsive and flexible.
I teach around 16 hours weekly with 7.50$ base rate..I get bonuses though and average pay per session is around 9$.

Hi Kristina35!

I was wondering about the payment. What if Paypal doesn't work in your country..how do you guys get paid? Is Paypal the only way or are there other (online) options?

Thanks

CapricornsQuandary
02-13-2014, 07:05 AM
Hello, I'm new to the board. I'm actually not a mother, but as another poster had pointed out in this thread, this seems to be the most informative discussion about TutorABC on the net.

I've been working there about a month and a half--actually probably a bit less because I didn't have any classes during Chinese New Year--and while I like doing the teaching part itself, I'm feeling bummed out about the ratings. My total score is 8.3 and this month's score so far is an 8, and the past two days sure haven't helped much. I have a continual feeling of dread that I'll be cut after my probationary period. :( Considering that I'm getting an MA in TESOL right now, I'd feel super embarrassed if I was fired.

I guess I'm so frustrated because I see positive automated feedback, but scores that don't seem to match up with this. I rarely get any comments which I would find helpful. I find larger classes so frustrating because I can't seem to establish a speaking speed that pleases everybody, and that seems to be a huge factor for the lower scores. I've been having classes where about half rate 9 or 10 and the other half rates 6 or 7. I really prefer teaching just one or two people at a time because it's easier to meet specific demands and mannerisms.

Also, how on Earth do you give the students a chance to apply their skills on lessons that teach grammar but leave little room for discussion (especially with the small amount of time given)? Of some of the comments I receive, I see students complaining about this.

Anyway, have any of you experienced this? And do you have any general advice that may be of help (and isn't covered on any of the site's materials)? While I don't think I'm terrible by any means, I just feel as if I'm missing something, but I don't know what.

djunamod
02-14-2014, 03:46 PM
Hi Capicorn,
I don't work for TutorABC, so I can't address your specific questions. But I have been teaching online for over 6 years. Please don't feel discouraged! If you're working on your MA in TESOL, that's great (I have an MA in English) but MAs usually focus much more on theory than practice. So my guess is that you have a lot of knowledge but the model of online learning takes some getting used to. The bottom line is that companies care more about keeping students happy than they do about teaching them in the most effective way possible.

I've also found student evaluations to be incredible unreliable in terms of judging how effective you really are. Students often times rate quickly without thinking much about it. They are also extremely varied - the same student might praise you for one lesson but give you a bad rating in another and the reason has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your teaching. The student might just not have liked the activity for that day or might have had a fight with his wife or whatever. It's unfortunately that most companies judge by the ratings, but the good companies also realize that they need to take the rating with a grain of salt. If you're getting an average of 8.3 out of 10, it sounds like you're doing well. I don't know how TutorABC work with that, though. That's something someone else could address.

Also, you mention teaching groups. These can be extremely challenging, as you might get a group that is very varied in their level. Even if they do an evaluation and are supposedly at the same level, that's not always insurance that everyone will have the same skills. Depending on how big the group is, it's a sure bet you're not going to please everyone. Again, a good company will realize this and will understand that not everyone is going to be pleased.

For me, I've seen every online teaching job I've had as a learning experience and I've learned not to judge myself too harshly if I'm not doing everything perfect. It's impossible to please every student 100% of the time. You can just do your best and know you're giving quality lessons and they will learn what they will learn.

Djuna

CapricornsQuandary
02-27-2014, 07:06 PM
I appreciate the kind words, djunamod. Sadly, my rating has actually dipped since last month, which is annoying considering that I have more 8 and 9 ratings overall than anything else. It's been kind of rough for me this past month due to other reasons, so I get the feeling that some of that stress has been leaking through into my performance. Of course, seeing the lower ratings and skills seems to cause a vicious cycle for me, and I end up becoming more discouraged (especially considering how others seem to be getting better ratings over time rather than lower ratings). Things seem to be turning around a bit, so hopefully I can get back on track.

I think one of the things I find the most frustrating is the students blaming technological issues on the instructors. I kind wish I could flag this sort of thing more often considering that I've been coming across these sorts of complaints a fair bit even though I know for certain that things are on their end because the rest of the class has no problems with the connection and I took time to make certain that my computer wasn't running too many processes at once, tested the video and sound before class, resetted my modem regularly, etc.

jessupsamuel
03-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Since quitting Tutor ABC a few years ago (because I was taking care of my daughter, and the schedule was difficult at the time), I have been teaching online privately and for another company or two. One thing I can recommend for working with groups is that it is important to ensure each student gets enough time to speak. This may mean turning the microphone off for some speakers.

Another technique that most students seem to like is when you type their words exactly as they say them on the screen and then have them try to find their own mistakes. This is easier in one-on-one tutoring, but it can be done to a limited degree in small groups as well. If the student struggles to find his mistakes, underline or highlight it, say it out loud the incorrect and then the correct way, and see if he can get it. If not, you might have to just give him the right answer.

Also, lead the conversation with questions pertaining to the lesson's topic, and keep lessons on track. Students want to finish the PowerPoint, and a slow pace can upset them. Let students do 80% of the talking.

These are just a couple techniques that may help boost ratings.

Jane Doe
03-21-2014, 09:54 AM
People have said many things on here about tutorABC. Some information was good, some a little not so good or accurate...

One of the things I feel people don't feel is important when they start is that EACH student rates you. Every time! Every day! Every session! Whats the problem? The problem is that some students don't know their *** from their elbow. Some will give you a 10 with or without good reason. And some will give you a 1 -3 with or without good reason. The question is do they care? Does it affect them? Who knows. The main point is teachers can't control it.

And group lessons of 4 - 6 really suck. Why? Because I would bet my life there will be technical issues, some students coming late to class and interrupting when they do and students getting irritated they don't get their turns fast enough. And when the teacher needs to call for tech support for sound issues the students get mad that your taking time away from them, away from their class. Those students will rate you low my friend, very low. Group lessons are also fun because tutorABC will stick people in the session that are high level and very low level. Have fun with that, technical issues and getting through the lesson on time. TutorABC will remove low ratings but only for technical reasons, not because student was an *** and gave you a 3- 5 which crashes your ratings for a long time to come.

Let me see what else is fun...

Well, you never know about the students thats the thing. You may get students in level 2 who think your great. And you may get students in level 12 who think you suck. Thats the thing - the tutorABC process is totally pro student, not pro teacher. The student is always right because the student is the one bringing in the money.

And the lessons many times suck the big one. Some have sucked so bad I have contacted tutorABC to please give me a different lesson to go over with the students. But, they will always say no. And I've asked for some real bad lessons to be pulled and never used again always explaining my reasons ranging from boring to it makes no sense to student. Nothing matters about what the teacher thinks. As a teacher you must learn to go with the flow and that it does not matter what you as a teacher thinks about anything.

I will bring this to an end by saying that yes tutorABC takes out an ultra huge amount for taxes. Then you get hit up by pay pay secondly with a hard hit. The company will keep you if you can keep your rates up and complaints down. But, please know people who state they make ratings of 8 - 10 every time are not correct. You can't control what that student gives you.

Jane Doe
03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Hello, I'm new to the board. I'm actually not a mother, but as another poster had pointed out in this thread, this seems to be the most informative discussion about TutorABC on the net.

I've been working there about a month and a half--actually probably a bit less because I didn't have any classes during Chinese New Year--and while I like doing the teaching part itself, I'm feeling bummed out about the ratings. My total score is 8.3 and this month's score so far is an 8, and the past two days sure haven't helped much. I have a continual feeling of dread that I'll be cut after my probationary period. :( Considering that I'm getting an MA in TESOL right now, I'd feel super embarrassed if I was fired.

I guess I'm so frustrated because I see positive automated feedback, but scores that don't seem to match up with this. I rarely get any comments which I would find helpful. I find larger classes so frustrating because I can't seem to establish a speaking speed that pleases everybody, and that seems to be a huge factor for the lower scores. I've been having classes where about half rate 9 or 10 and the other half rates 6 or 7. I really prefer teaching just one or two people at a time because it's easier to meet specific demands and mannerisms.

Also, how on Earth do you give the students a chance to apply their skills on lessons that teach grammar but leave little room for discussion (especially with the small amount of time given)? Of some of the comments I receive, I see students complaining about this.

Anyway, have any of you experienced this? And do you have any general advice that may be of help (and isn't covered on any of the site's materials)? While I don't think I'm terrible by any means, I just feel as if I'm missing something, but I don't know what.

Hi there!

I'm not saying you want to do what I do in large sessions at tutorABC. But, this is how I handle it...

First I turn off everyones mic. Thats right! I don't ask if its ok or hurts their little feelings. In large lessons I have to get control right away. When I work through the lesson with them I ask for short clear answers. At times I even tell them if they give short clear answers everyone will get their turn faster. I beyond a doubt push them in the direction I need them to go in. I do laugh and joke with them even though I only speak to them for a few moments. This is as good as it gets with large lessons. Its mainly about controlling the situation and knowing as a teacher you will not make everyone happy. Hope this helps.

Abby Y.
07-09-2014, 10:50 PM
Hello! I'm new to the board! I am from Philippines..I tried to apply in TutorABC and yes, I am successfully hired! (under probation of course).. I've been teaching esl for two years now and it's my first time to teach group class in TutorABC. but I'd prefer on one-on-one type of class.. I've read all the article here regarding tutorabc, their base salary is around 8USD up but to me it was only 3.50USD which is not bad after all :D I had my first session last June 9, got 3 students at that time and my rating was 7. very low. I'm afraid, chinese people won't like me because I'm NOT A NATIVE SPEAKER.... :(

anyone, who can give me other online teaching jobs (ESTABLISHED ONLINE ENGLISH SCHOOLS PLEASE..) that would also possible for Filipino like me to teach.. your suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thank you ;)

People have said many things on here about tutorABC. Some information was good, some a little not so good or accurate...

One of the things I feel people don't feel is important when they start is that EACH student rates you. Every time! Every day! Every session! Whats the problem? The problem is that some students don't know their *** from their elbow. Some will give you a 10 with or without good reason. And some will give you a 1 -3 with or without good reason. The question is do they care? Does it affect them? Who knows. The main point is teachers can't control it.

And group lessons of 4 - 6 really suck. Why? Because I would bet my life there will be technical issues, some students coming late to class and interrupting when they do and students getting irritated they don't get their turns fast enough. And when the teacher needs to call for tech support for sound issues the students get mad that your taking time away from them, away from their class. Those students will rate you low my friend, very low. Group lessons are also fun because tutorABC will stick people in the session that are high level and very low level. Have fun with that, technical issues and getting through the lesson on time. TutorABC will remove low ratings but only for technical reasons, not because student was an *** and gave you a 3- 5 which crashes your ratings for a long time to come.

Let me see what else is fun...

Well, you never know about the students thats the thing. You may get students in level 2 who think your great. And you may get students in level 12 who think you suck. Thats the thing - the tutorABC process is totally pro student, not pro teacher. The student is always right because the student is the one bringing in the money.

And the lessons many times suck the big one. Some have sucked so bad I have contacted tutorABC to please give me a different lesson to go over with the students. But, they will always say no. And I've asked for some real bad lessons to be pulled and never used again always explaining my reasons ranging from boring to it makes no sense to student. Nothing matters about what the teacher thinks. As a teacher you must learn to go with the flow and that it does not matter what you as a teacher thinks about anything.

I will bring this to an end by saying that yes tutorABC takes out an ultra huge amount for taxes. Then you get hit up by pay pay secondly with a hard hit. The company will keep you if you can keep your rates up and complaints down. But, please know people who state they make ratings of 8 - 10 every time are not correct. You can't control what that student gives you.

timjackson86
08-24-2014, 10:22 AM
One can go with Acadsoc.com for best online tutoring services.

Best of Luck!

-Tim