WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Why is the internet so addicting?

gaspsngiggles
03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
As if I have nothing better to do.....
I check my facebook, check my website, write on my new blog, check my e-mail, check WAHM, maybe window shop for a minute, then do it all over again!
I have 10-15 minute intervals to do this seeing as how I'm also taking care of my children, cleaning the house, cooking dinner, and doing whatever else needs to be done.
Is it just me? or is this normal? I'm on the computer asking if it's ok to be addicted to the computer? My goodness....

LoveLoveParties
03-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah, totally normal and a serious problem for some people. People have lost relationships behind social games, social media and online communities.

About Email: If it's that important, someone will call you. Leave email to 3-4 times a day. And don't just 'check' email, consider it actual work time...clearing your inbox, filing your emails into folders, replying to all emails, etc. Same goes with Facebook. TASK it....know what you're going to do exactly, otherwise you go around in circles.

Children and House - schedule that. My 5 and 6 year olds are in school til 2:30pm. From 2:30pm to 8pm it's HOME time....no Internet. If someone really needs me, they'll call. During home time I'll clean, do dinner, prepare meals ahead of time, etc. Then when they go to bed, I'm "allowed" to go back to work aka online. LOL

Don't let it take over. Free yourself. You'll feel sooo much better.

HTH!

LoveLoveParties
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Oh! And to answer the original question... WHY??

I believe it's the instant gratification factor.

gowriter
03-03-2010, 02:45 PM
It is addicting, isn't it? I mean, Conan O'Brien now has a a Twitter account. I have to make a better effort about reading more books. My writing ability has slipped a bit.

andr117
03-04-2010, 06:47 AM
That's not so good that we 've substituted real life for screens, but that's modern life, we still have to earn, communicate, search for news or info

MommyandMe
03-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Yes it is addicting. The Internet is so full of activities that caters to everybody needs. Facebook is a perfect example, a lot of people are addicted to that social network and they don't even know it.

Capmaster
03-06-2010, 07:24 AM
I don't think it's addicting as much as it has become such a necessary tool, like a microwave oven. We use the internet to invest, do our banking, correspond with friends and family, for entertainment, to pay bills, to get driving directions, etc. It would be pretty hard on us if someone suddenly took all that away.

Stephanie Ann
03-07-2010, 01:55 PM
For someone with a curious mind like mine, the internet is a TERRIBLE thing. I lookup one thing, think of something else I am curious about, and now it's three hours later :rolleyes:.

Stephanie Ann
03-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Did I forget to mention my raging addiction to Full Tilt Poker (the free games). :eek:

Yoli TRUTH
03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
No, I could not live without my internet. Just try taking it away! ;)

AprioriCandy
03-26-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm exactly like myprivatequarters - just love to find the answers to things that pop into my head all day!

Yoli TRUTH
04-01-2010, 11:27 PM
If our internet is down for any length of time, we can't function. Since my husband and I both work from home, most everything that we do during our day revolves around the internet. So it's more a way of life and necessity than an addiction. Do you like my justification?! ;)

wmhammons
04-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Yes it is addicting, but there are way to put it on autopilot to take care of other things I check mt twitter only a few time a day and send my blogs via email also am able to check my email and facbook at the same time.

ContentQueen
04-06-2010, 05:01 AM
I love what I do so much that I can spend all of my sleeping hours dreaming that I am working on my Internet ventures - I get up at 5am and the first thing I do is log on!

maverickguy
04-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Because there is tons to do and it can be anonymous.

hanot08
05-06-2010, 09:30 AM
nowadays, one of the most and needed thing in our life is the computer, here, we earn, learn and do things just by sitting and typing. it is a modern day now, when you need for something and need to look for something all you need is to go through the net, type what you need/want and whola!!! it is already written in front of you. we must give credit to those person who worked hard for this...it is really of big help especially to the students...

maverickguy
05-06-2010, 10:33 AM
No, it is not ok. But its probably better than being addicted to drugs. But I have seen where the computer can be destructive.

Not the answer you wanted I know

Jel
05-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Maybe because nowadays you can find everything in the internet.. and lots of great applications..

teapot
05-12-2010, 04:18 AM
i definitely agree to that! computer is very addicting maybe because you can do almost everything with it.... even talk to your relatives/loved ones in other country... find out about everything from entertainment to politics...so why not become a computer addict if it helps you a lot...

rbarrett68
05-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I think that it is a convenience.Everything I do is usually done on the internet and I can get it done super fast.

I can keep up with the family on Facebook,read up on current events,see the news,promote my business...the options are endless!

JJ Rendon
05-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I am not sure if I can classify this as addicting but internet eats 10-15 hours a day of my time because it is a must for me. I work online for several clients not to mention I check my online business, manage my own Facebook and Twitter accounts etc. I don't know where would I be without internet, most probably I'd be broke lol :p

Angela123
05-22-2010, 11:06 PM
I go into almost like a state of hypnosis when I am on the internet. I am totally in another zone, which is a bit scary sometimes. My husband will speak to me, and I will answer him, but not really be engaged with him. I have had to work hard at limiting my time on the net and spend more time in the 'real world'

Angela

cdlblast
05-23-2010, 04:22 PM
There's a lot of information on the internet. There's a lot of knowledge and input. It's Big.

hewenxiu1234
05-25-2010, 12:33 AM
very helpful post.. thanks for sharing..

Misty @ Boutique Scents
05-25-2010, 12:14 PM
I love to learn new things so I have this running list of things I need to look up...;)

PinkSassyRN
05-28-2010, 09:09 AM
The main reason for me is I learn a lot of things with just a touch of our fingers. Internet is very informative. I can get to improve my skills and knowledge by reading online articles, ebooks or just simply by watching videos on youtube.