WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Catalog Mailing Question

saranicole
12-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I asked the person above me and she does not know...how much postage to I need to put on the catalog when I mail it out? I just started yesterday and I have 30 catalogs ready to go, they just need the postage! Thanks!!!! :D

jessicaj
12-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I put mine in those small brown clasp envelopes (clasp ripped off) and it will mail for a regular stamp. A little trick the lady at the post office told me. I'm not sure though if they charge more because it's not in an envelope???

robynec
12-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Another thing that may help. If you ever need to ship or rather mail in bulk (let's say to a host) several pieces then mail them media mail. This is always cheaper. Ex postal worker here LOL. Hope this helps some....

jessicaj
12-06-2009, 06:49 AM
Hey Robyn! Thanks for the advice! Question... for the media mail, are you talking about just for paper materials like catalogs or can we ship our baskets media mail? If it is just for catalogs and other promotional materials can they be in envelopes?

Thanks for leting us know! Every little bit of savings helps!

avoight
12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Another thing that may help. If you ever need to ship or rather mail in bulk (let's say to a host) several pieces then mail them media mail. This is always cheaper. Ex postal worker here LOL. Hope this helps some....

Your so smart! :)

LAscents
12-06-2009, 02:43 PM

You cannot ship them media mail because they have advertising in them. Essentially the entire catalog is an advertisement. I was a senior USPS manager in my previous life. They'll come back on you or your customer for first class shipping. Or you can have the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing that you're stealing revenue.

See: USPS - Media Mail (http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm)

Media Mail® service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes).

Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books.

LAscents
12-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Hey Robyn! Thanks for the advice! Question... for the media mail, are you talking about just for paper materials like catalogs or can we ship our baskets media mail? If it is just for catalogs and other promotional materials can they be in envelopes?

Thanks for leting us know! Every little bit of savings helps!

Our catalogs (any catalogs) DO NOT qualify as media mail. Media mail is only reserved for bound books, DVDs, cassettes, ... media.

USPS - Media Mail (http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/mediamail.htm)

LAscents
12-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I asked the person above me and she does not know...how much postage to I need to put on the catalog when I mail it out? I just started yesterday and I have 30 catalogs ready to go, they just need the postage! Thanks!!!! :D

It depends on a number of factors. Are you just tabbing the sides or putting it in an envelope? Are you including just a business card? Or do you include a sample and recruiting brochure as well? Do you include car candles? How thick are your samples? Are they machinable?

A catalog, no envelope, biz card, thin sample, and recruiting brochure goes for the 3 ounce rate of $.78. If the sample is too thick and non-machinable, then there's a surcharge and it's $.98

robynec
12-07-2009, 05:02 AM
Ya Know when I was with the usps we had a lady that was with Home Interiors that always mailed her bulk mailings out media mail. That is so weird that she all the time was not using the correct form of mailing and was taking from the postal revenue. Oh well, she sure made out and big. Sorry ladies for giving out the wron info. It's just what I was told back in my day with the postal. Probably one of the reasons that they are in such bad shape right now to. Again sorry..

successsweet
12-07-2009, 05:26 AM
It depends on a number of factors. Are you just tabbing the sides or putting it in an envelope? Are you including just a business card? Or do you include a sample and recruiting brochure as well? Do you include car candles? How thick are your samples? Are they machinable?

A catalog, no envelope, biz card, thin sample, and recruiting brochure goes for the 3 ounce rate of $.78. If the sample is too thick and non-machinable, then there's a surcharge and it's $.98

Laurie you are amazing !!

Now if you could just tell me how to SUCCESSFULLY conduct Scentsy online I would be MOST grateful!
(you challengd me when I said it can't be successfully marketed online) ;)

Thank you!

Terri

P.S. I have marketed online for over 12 years with another business and tried same strategies with Scentsy with no success.