WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Electronic Cigs??

Kelbell
11-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Anyone heard of these, or better yet...tried them? I think the concept is so cool!! Hubby is a mega smoker and probably chain smokes all day at work. Butts are outrageously priced these days and its costing an arm and a leg...not to mention a lung or two for him to keep smoking!!

Quitting is just not happening for him, he has tried, but I'm thinking of getting him a trial pack of these things for Christmas! LOL!!!
Seems as though it's just the nicotine without all the harmful crap, yet you still get the "nicotine fix". I know it's still addicting and all that, but if there is no cancer causing garbage in there, I'm all for it!! If I was still a smoker, I would be all over these things!! LOL!!

What Are Electronic Cigarettes? | Electronic Cigarettes by Instead E-Cigarette (http://www.e-cig.org/about/) This is just a random google search site that explains them a little.

kamie3535
11-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Kelly, I have no clue and barely read the website you posted, however I did read the first paragraph.

The Electronic Cigarette or electric cigarette or ecigarette, is a relatively simple device that creates vapor out of a nicotine and propylene glycol liquid. This “mist” acts much like tobacco smoke, allowing long time smokers an alternative.

Did a fast google search on propylene glycol. I suggest anyone thinking about this do the same.

Here's my search string. propylene glycol - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=propylene+glycol+&btnG=Google+Search)

I'll personally stick to smoking the real cigs.:D

Here is what part of the DOW website says about it.

PG is used in cosmetics and as an excipient (inert solvent or carrier) in pharmaceuticals. PG has a wide range of practical applications such as antifreezes, coolants and aircraft deicing fluids; heat transfer and hydraulic fluids; solvents; food; flavors and fragrances; cosmetics and personal care products; pharmaceuticals; chemical intermediates; plasticizers; and thermoset plastic formulations

Kelbell
11-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Hmm, that is interesting...wonder if there are any without that stuff in them? I'll have to look into it, thanks for the link Kamie :D

HighEnergyMom
11-03-2009, 08:34 PM
A friend's husband stopped smoking using hypnosis "treatments". I've seen that advertised every so often around here. She had stopped first, but I think it was on her own and was after him to quit. I have absolutely no idea what that entailed, the length of time it took (it wasn't an extended period), or the cost.

Another friend of mine stopped with Chantix, but that is a drug and can cause a lot of side effects. She stopped, but I know picked the habit back up again.

My brother in law stopped using one of the patches and has not restarted that habit in over ten years.

If your DH is interested in quitting, he has a better chance. Has he spoken to his doctor about his options?

adbullock
11-04-2009, 03:26 AM
Kelly, I have no clue and barely read the website you posted, however I did read the first paragraph.

Did a fast google search on propylene glycol. I suggest anyone thinking about this do the same.

Here's my search string. propylene glycol - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&q=propylene+glycol+&btnG=Google+Search)

I'll personally stick to smoking the real cigs.:D

Here is what part of the DOW website says about it.

Propylene glycol is also used in cake mixes and food coloring. Odds are that the average family consumes this more often than they realize (even when eating M&Ms or something as simple as that) though I'm sure you eat far less processed foods than most of us. I'm not saying it's good or bad only that it's not solely used for antifreeze and cleaning products. Water is used in those things too but we're not going to eliminate water from our intake as a result.

kamie3535
11-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Propylene glycol is also used in cake mixes and food coloring. Odds are that the average family consumes this more often than they realize (even when eating M&Ms or something as simple as that) though I'm sure you eat far less processed foods than most of us. I'm not saying it's good or bad only that it's not solely used for antifreeze and cleaning products. Water is used in those things too but we're not going to eliminate water from our intake as a result.

Yeah I understand that, as it was part of the quote I posted. I was just making the point that it really doesn't sound any safer than the real thing.

Kelbell
11-05-2009, 05:51 AM
I've tried the hypnosis when I was a smoker...not my choice, I went with friends! LOL!! It didn't work, for any of us! But I have heard it does work for some.

We've talked about the prescriptions out there, but without insurance, it's probably really costly...but then on the other hand so are cigs!! At 6 bucks a pack, it's time to find another alternative :eek:

Hubby smokes a lot and he has a very strenuous job physically and mentally so I know he just has a hard time quitting along with just wanting to be able to have a cig to calm his nerves. He feels like crap though and his lungs are a mess, coughing all the time and wheezing...so I found these things and thought they sounded so cool!! He'd still get the nic fix without the tar and other crap causing him to destroy his lungs. But with this Propylene glycol, maybe it's just taking away one poison and replacing it with another?? :confused:

He did say he'd give them a shot though :D I think his health is starting to catch up with him, and he may actually be starting to worry about it. Either which way you slice it, 2 packs a day is reeking havoc! :(

MrsCyrcus
11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Has he tried the patch yet? I quit for over a year, but started back up due to hubby not quitting!! Cig smoke smells TOO good sometimes!!! :mad: If he can't quit and insists on smoking, tell him to roll his own, much cheaper. I can make a 6 oz. bag of tobacco last about 7 days myself.

jlogan21
11-06-2009, 01:31 PM
I am a smoker and was curious about these so I got a starter kit and gave it a shot. It works for me and I like it! They say that they are not meant as a tool to quit but I suppose that you could use it for that. It took some getting used to but once I did, it does curb the craving and provides something for the habit of having something in your hand, which is actually worse for me than the craving. LOL

pippy
11-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Kelbell!

My husand has been using them for about a year. He still uses his old cigs because the brand he has is hard to drag off of. Below is a link to a forum that talks about all the different kinds.

They taste just like a real cigarette and depending on the brand you buy, you get a real nice throat hit which is just vabor. Can't smell a thing!! Your best bet is to buy a starter package somewhere and make sure it comes with 2 batteries. The batteries are the white part of the cig. There are ways to clean them so you don't have to keep buying new atomizers, but this website will fill you in. We also purchase e-juice. They come in Marborol flavors or Mentol. Our first mistake was that when we bought the e-cig it said nicotine and I assumed it would taste like a cig, but was just nicotine vapor, so really do your research.

We plan on going to our local mall and try out a new brand this weekend, hopefully it will work better than the one we have.

HTH

e-cigarette-forum.com • The place for electronic cigarette reviews, news and chat (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/)

Kelbell
11-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Jlogan and Pippy, thanks for your input! I don't think hubby is wanting to quit, or even could right now, so these wouldn't really be used as a quitting tool for him, more of another alternative to the cigs I guess!!
I really appreciate both your feedbacks :D

Jolly
11-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Anyone heard of these, or better yet...tried them? I think the concept is so cool!! Hubby is a mega smoker and probably chain smokes all day at work. Butts are outrageously priced these days and its costing an arm and a leg...not to mention a lung or two for him to keep smoking!!

Quitting is just not happening for him, he has tried, but I'm thinking of getting him a trial pack of these things for Christmas! LOL!!!
Seems as though it's just the nicotine without all the harmful crap, yet you still get the "nicotine fix". I know it's still addicting and all that, but if there is no cancer causing garbage in there, I'm all for it!! If I was still a smoker, I would be all over these things!! LOL!!

What Are Electronic Cigarettes? | Electronic Cigarettes by Instead E-Cigarette (http://www.e-cig.org/about/) This is just a random google search site that explains them a little.

If all you want is the nicotine.. for heaven's sake.. just make some LOBELIA TEA... Lobelia is a cousin of nicotine. It's chaper than any gimmick. As to its health factor.. I have no proof, but think it could affect a heart rate. .. as does nicotine.

Kelbell
11-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't smoke, hubby does, and trust me, tea won't cut it ;)

Somehow I just can't picture him sipping tea on the job site!! :D

Jolly
11-10-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't smoke, hubby does, and trust me, tea won't cut it ;)

Somehow I just can't picture him sipping tea on the job site!! :D

I used it and it definitely takes away the cravings. It could be in a coffeee cup.