WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : What are you investing in?

kamie3535
10-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Just curious?

If all bills where paid, and you could invest in anything what would it be?

I'm not talking about stocks or bonds. Frankly I don't trust the dollar at the moment.

zg04
10-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, we have three rental properties and I hate them! I can't even get rid of them just for what I owe. Maybe later on they will turn out to be a better investment?

But if the sky was the limit (according to our situation), it would be gold.

adbullock
10-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Real estate baby!

We have two units that we're in the process of repairing for rentals but if I had extra money right now it would be going into real estate.

adbullock
10-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Well, we have three rental properties and I hate them! I can't even get rid of them just for what I owe. Maybe later on they will turn out to be a better investment?

But if the sky was the limit (according to our situation), it would be gold.

I begged DH to invest all in gold a few years back but he wouldn't listen. The problem now is that the price is so inflated it's difficult to buy in.

kamie3535
10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Frankly I'm thinking about silver coin pre 1965, but have no idea how to keep it safe. I don't trust the banks, and have no idea how I'd keep it.

And yes Andrea, this idea is coming from a book you hated.

adbullock
10-07-2009, 06:16 PM
It wasn't that I hated it. I just thought it was boring.

I also found the idea of working for a "God Fearing" country frightening. The book made it sound like they were working for eliminating tyranny by the government and exchanging it for tyranny by religion.

That doesn't mean that there weren't some good ideas in the book. I am really considering going back to school for more current medical training after reading the book because I believe it will be necessary to know.

kamie3535
10-07-2009, 06:40 PM
It wasn't that I hated it. I just thought it was boring.

I also found the idea of working for a "God Fearing" country frightening. The book made it sound like they were working for eliminating tyranny by the government and exchanging it for tyranny by religion.

That doesn't mean that there weren't some good ideas in the book. I am really considering going back to school for more current medical training after reading the book because I believe it will be necessary to know.

I agree about most of your critique.

The part that bored me though where the in dept details on some things, then the story line just stalled forever. DH loved it, but warned me I'd hate parts of it. He loved the long descriptions on some of the technical aspects.

It wandered to much for my taste, but in a pinch would be a hell of a survival tool.

It really got me thinking about a few things.

1. Anything hand cranked. Generators, washers, meat grinders, etc....

2. Ammo and guns, DUH LOL

3. Anything to barter for

Oh and now that I've lost most everyone, here is what book we are talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Novel-Survival-Coming-Collapse/dp/156975599X

CammiB
10-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Ammo and seed. Silver might be something to consider too.

kamie3535
10-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Ammo and seed. Silver might be something to consider too.

Heirloom seed, excellent point. I keep meaning to start looking and somehow blow it off. This winter is a perfect time.

zg04
10-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Another thing...water. And salt. Another silly little thing, I've learned lots of things from just reading The Little House Books to my daughters for school, so I think those have been good investments.

kamie3535
10-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Another thing...water.

Serious question?

Water? It's not something you can invest in is it? You can live near it, you can purify it etc..............you can store it, but you can only store so much and then it goes bad.

Care to share your thinking?

We are rigged up with a purification system, a poor mans attempt, and it will work but I'm really curious where you are going with this.

CammiB
10-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Your not asking me, but we are storing up water too. Mainly because survivalists say you should in case of emergency. You have a point that maybe a good purifier would be a good investment too. We have many springs in our area, but thinking about the people in the city, what would they do if their water supply was cut off or contaminated?

zg04
10-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I suppose it's just because of where we live, and how we live. We live in housing, so I have to depend on the government for water. I like to have a back-up, I suppose. And I keep a rotating stock. If we lived in a house that had a well then it would be different...though since we are prone to earthquakes and such up here, I would still keep a small stock of water.

To be truthful, sort of because of Revelation end-times type of things, too. It says somewhere in there about a good portion of the worlds water turning blood red and a good portion of the things living in that water will die. Scientifically it can happen...a chemical reaction caused by earthquakes and volcanoes and the gases coming up. I can't remember the name of the specific one off the top of my head. But...with that said, I'm not looking to debate religion or the bible.

MrsCyrcus
10-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Frankly I'm thinking about silver coin pre 1965, but have no idea how to keep it safe. I don't trust the banks, and have no idea how I'd keep it.

And yes Andrea, this idea is coming from a book you hated.

If you want to keep it safe, place them in glass jars and bury them near the foundation of your house or other structure(s) on your property. Metal detectors can't find it there.

MrsCyrcus
10-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Heirloom seed, excellent point. I keep meaning to start looking and somehow blow it off. This winter is a perfect time.

No need to look any further than Survivalist Seeds (http://survivalistseeds.com/) :)

MrsCyrcus
10-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Your not asking me, but we are storing up water too. Mainly because survivalists say you should in case of emergency. You have a point that maybe a good purifier would be a good investment too. We have many springs in our area, but thinking about the people in the city, what would they do if their water supply was cut off or contaminated?

Cammi hit the nail on the head here! You can go to New Millennium Concepts Ltd Front Door (http://www.berkeywater.com/) They even have a travel purifier.

jnmurra
10-08-2009, 05:29 AM
Well, I guess I'm confused. :confused: I thought you were talking about investing in "things" that will one day make you money, but you're talking more about the type of "things" that you'll need if and when the "s*** hits the fan"?

I've been thinking about that lately (yeah, I've been watching and reading a lot about the 2012 doomsday thing). Water is one (does water in an unopened container really go bad at some point??). The 'old fashioned' lanterns that don't run on batteries, which in that case you'd need kerosene too, I guess, and matches.

Ammo you've got covered. Canned foods, check. :D

Honestly, I think you've probably got all your bases covered, don't you? (BTW, I need you to send me directions to your house 'cause I'll be shacking up with you, if you don't mind...LOL!)

kamie3535
10-08-2009, 06:27 AM
I suppose it's just because of where we live, and how we live. We live in housing, so I have to depend on the government for water. I like to have a back-up, I suppose. And I keep a rotating stock. If we lived in a house that had a well then it would be different...though since we are prone to earthquakes and such up here, I would still keep a small stock of water.

Okay I got ya. We do that as well, just wish we had more storage space, for a while I was saving every empty jug, cleaning and filling it, then ran out of room. Every 6 months I dump the unused into the stock tank and refill.

kamie3535
10-08-2009, 06:27 AM
No need to look any further than Survivalist Seeds (http://survivalistseeds.com/) :)

Thank you!

kamie3535
10-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Well, I guess I'm confused. :confused: I thought you were talking about investing in "things" that will one day make you money, but you're talking more about the type of "things" that you'll need if and when the "s*** hits the fan"?

I've been thinking about that lately (yeah, I've been watching and reading a lot about the 2012 doomsday thing). Water is one (does water in an unopened container really go bad at some point??). The 'old fashioned' lanterns that don't run on batteries, which in that case you'd need kerosene too, I guess, and matches.

Ammo you've got covered. Canned foods, check. :D

Honestly, I think you've probably got all your bases covered, don't you? (BTW, I need you to send me directions to your house 'cause I'll be shacking up with you, if you don't mind...LOL!)

Actually Jen, to your first paragraph, yes and no. If the dollar collapses, they way some are predicting, our currency would basically be worthless, so I'm trying to figure out how to hedge that somewhat. Gold is to expensive, so I'm seriously thinking about silver.

The main point of the OP got somewhat lost, but it's all good info.

One thing I'm really wanted to do, (again I just don't have the storage space) is buy any hand cranked appliance I can afford and store it away just in case.

Maybe I need to stop reading survivalist books?:D

jnmurra
10-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Yeah, I've been thinking over the currency issue. There's a lot of not so good news for us floating around out there, that the dollar will be basically worthless. And you're right, gold is much, much too expensive right now, so wouldn't the only other choice be silver?

Also, what about gas? Living in a rural area, I worry about that. I mean if the crap really does hit the fan, I don't see us needing to go too far in a vehicle, but you never know.

Hand cranked appliances are a good idea! Are those even made? (I really need to get out more, I think...lol).

meg27599
10-08-2009, 06:39 AM
How does water go bad? I have never heard this. :S

kamie3535
10-08-2009, 06:42 AM
How does water go bad? I have never heard this. :S

Bottled water, has an expiration date because it will go stale over time.

kamie3535
10-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Also, what about gas? Living in a rural area, I worry about that. I mean if the crap really does hit the fan, I don't see us needing to go too far in a vehicle, but you never know.

Hand cranked appliances are a good idea! Are those even made? (I really need to get out more, I think...lol).

Check out some of the links on the right hand side of SurvivalBlog.com (http://www.survivalblog.com/) there is just about any sort of hand cranked appliance you can think of among other things. I had no idea either until I started looking through.

Gas is a must, and we are looking into maybe building an underground storage tank in the future, problem is it like everything else will go bad over time, even with stabilizers added.

meg27599
10-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Okay stale as in not tasty or stale as in not potable? Because stale crackers..while tasting nasty aren't nec BAD for one to consume. I'm really curious about this...

zg04
10-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Water doesnb't really go stale. The plastic is somewhat porous, so the water begins to take on the flavor or whatever is around it. Also, the expiration dates are nonsense. It was a law that passed that said everything had to be posted with a ex-date.

kamie3535
10-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Water doesnb't really go stale. The plastic is somewhat porous, so the water begins to take on the flavor or whatever is around it. Also, the expiration dates are nonsense. It was a law that passed that said everything had to be posted with a ex-date.

Thanks for this I was running out the door when I made the stale comment, and couldn't think of the right way to phrase it.