WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Paper, Plastic or BYOB?

mom2for
09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
When you go to the store, do you still accept the plastic bags? Sometimes I ask for paper bags because I use them to put out my recycled paper every week. I have several of those cute reusable bags, but I never remember to take them with me to the store.

When you shop, do you get paper, plastic, or Bring-Your-Own-Bag?

4hoursaweek
09-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Well, I always have my reusable bags in the car but I don't always remember to bring them in!

Kim

#1Nonna
09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Most stores are now charging .05 cents per bag, plastic or paper, so I bring my own. :)

Melanie Milleti
09-28-2009, 01:31 PM
I nearly always carry bags in with me.I have a 'bag of bags' in the car and the van - and as long as I remember to grab them, I'm re-using them.

But the bag of bags tells its own story, right? And that bag of bags often gets recycled...
I'm not perfect, but I think I try a bit harder than most.

Debbie70
09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Plastic, but i take them home and use them in the bathroom trash bins

andr117
09-29-2009, 06:13 AM
HI! I am against plastic bags so I do use only eusable bags! We can safe our planet and money at one and the same time! I guess that everybody should care about the world we all live in! Do not you think so?

MTHome
10-10-2009, 08:03 PM
I use cloth bags and have for several years. They're really much easier to carry into the house. I've never forgotten to take them with me.

Ashley Q
10-10-2009, 08:09 PM
We are plastic here too! We do recycle (everything we can)! We also have the re-useable, but like others before me mentioned... I forget them 1/2 the time :)!

Ashley

SamCook
10-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I also forget the few re-usable bags that I have purchased. Has anyone heard of a major store giving the re-usable out for free? I really think they should since it saves them money and gets their name out on the bag.

I always recycle the plastic bags, weather I re-use them or they go into the recycling bin...depends on how many I have.

jessicaj
10-12-2009, 06:07 AM
I bring my Large Scentsy Reusable Bags. It's hard to forget because I take Scentsy everywhere I go anyway. And they are a great conversation starter. I do have to get the plastic every now and then because I use them for doggie doo and liners in the bathroom garbage, so it is nice to have a small stash. My daughter is great at reminding me if I do happen to start walking away from the car without them though...

sabramh
10-18-2009, 08:42 PM
I too often forget the reusable bags. I ask for plastic, becaus I have several crochet projects that use plastic bags.

Sarayntrix
10-24-2009, 08:05 AM
I have 2 store bought reusable bags and 1 that I knit, (my favorite - it can hold around 30- 40 lbs.). I usually remember them for the grocery, but not the petsmart, et al. I use any plastic bags for used litter (2 cavies, 3 cats and 1 dog), trash cans, and the like - I rather feel guilty for the dependence, but not the penny pinching. I'm also considering stripping and knitting them into another grocery bag.

AvParties4u
10-24-2009, 09:51 AM
When I remember to bring them I have some
reusable bags that we use.

alinasandor
10-24-2009, 09:59 AM
I use plastic and then save them. When I have a bunch I stuff them in the recycling box at my local grocery store. Since we buy A LOT of groceries, using my own bags doesn't work very well.

jellian
10-30-2009, 01:21 AM
That "directive" came in the early 80's for Harris Teeter. I was a bagger and front-end manager during high school, in their #8 store in Charlotte (#8 store in the whole system). As a bagger, we all HATED it when they introduced plastic. Just like you hear about paper now, we were not set up for it, and it was hard to deal with as a bagger, akward, and in general it was a "chanage from the norm".

I'm curious why so many are wanting paper though. My understanding is that if you recycle your plastic it is much more environmentally friendly. While the pulp wood for paper is a regenerating process, I've always understood that it takes much more energy (and carbon release) to process the production of paper, than it does to produce plastic, even though the plastic is an oil-based product... I can carry much more groceries in plastic, and they are way easier to store at my house, because they take less room. <--sorry to get off subject, just curious the reasons.

MTHome
10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Has anyone heard of a major store giving the re-usable out for free? .

Fred Meyers has always replaced mine for free when they wear out. I don't know if they're supposed to do that, or if they just have nice checkers. :)

They also take 5 cents off my total for each bag I use, so 15 cents at the check-out stand every week. The bags have paid for themselves many times over.

avia4life
11-04-2009, 02:14 PM
I keep my reusable bags in the van so they are always there when I stop at the store. I hate plastic bags!!! If for some reason I must use a store bag, I prefer paper. When I unload the groceries, the bags go right back into the van so they are right where I need them for the next trip to the store.

MichelleTexas
11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
I always get plastic bags and I always put them in the recycle bins too!

aussieroo1
11-05-2009, 12:57 AM
I bring my own shopping bag. But during times that I forget, I have no choice but to use plastic.

KathyBlack
11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm plastic too. But, I do re-use them at home!

DeeBishop
11-06-2009, 09:16 AM
I really prefer the brown paper bags, but few stores have them anymore. And I always forget to take my fabric bags in with me. I HAVE to start remembering!! So I end up with plastic which is my least favorite option.

Kriket
11-06-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm BYOB and have been for many years. We were big Aldi shoppers and they charge for bags, se we have always brought our own! I wish the grocery tubs would catch on here

mandykaye
11-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I bring my bags my locale store gives me 5 cents off a bag! I think it is easier carrying things in out of the car also!

Let me show you how to work from home!
synaura.mandy@gmail.com

KirstinF
11-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I always forget the reusable ones so they are mostly used for going to the beach now. They do make great beach toy totes.

I usually get plastic because they are great for kitty cleanup and trashcan liners.

I heard reusable bags are also a hazard for food born disease. If you use them, wash them often so you don't get sick. So many of them are cheap and non machine washable so I just don't bother. It's not worth getting sick.

I'll save the world another way I guess :rolleyes:

Happy Days,

Kirstin Filliez
BusinessScamProtector.com

amberlyth
11-20-2009, 08:15 PM
I bring (or buy when I forget--which is often) my own. They're much easier to carry home on foot than either paper or plastic, plus they have cute designs. :)

Queen Beez Handbags
11-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Always bring my own. I just recently started doing it within the last 6 months or so. I find it funny to see the bag person confused sometimes as to what they should do with them. Oh well.

tctsco
11-23-2009, 05:19 PM
We have a multitude of cloth reusable bags that we use. Some are even "insulated" and have zippers for frozen food transporting. We purchased them at WalMart when they first had them available and have loved using them ever since.

The other half of the family keeps a couple in the saddlebag of his motorcycle and oftentimes has one hanging off the handlebar on the way home for that "last minute stop" for a container of milk etc.

Bags are washed, folded, and inserted into another bag after a grocery trip and ready to grab on the way out the door the next time we shop. MUCH easier to carry back into the house than the plastic, and the groceries don't roll around the van on the way home...

For a dollar investment each, (dollar and a half for the insulated ones with zippers) we've now used the same bags for going on two years, and they look practically new.:)

Louann
11-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I simply throw them back in the car once I unload the groceries so they are always there. I also run all my errands on one day (most of the time) so I just grab them as I run in and out of stores.

I also typically have a tote bag with me so I can throw in whatever I end up buying (not on errand day) Each night I put all my things to do the next day in my tote so I am ready to run out the door.

mahalo
11-26-2009, 12:13 AM
I always bring my own with the exception of shopping at the mall. I just hate it when I tell them BEFORE the transaction... CLEARLY that I have my own shopping bags and they put it in plastic bags anyway... then when I repeat it, they get mad at me.

MarilynVance
12-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I always get plastic but I know I should switch to paper or reusable!

Kath331
12-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I prefer the reusable bags. The only problem with them is that it is easy to leave them at home! That is why I hang them up on the coat rack and always have a couple in the car.

bbellaluna
12-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I have cloth bags, but if I forget those or have a HUGE shopping trip I choose paper.

shellyrae1
02-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I try to BYOB, but I always forget them, so I end up taking plastic. However, those plastic bags always get reused for other stuff.

skcandles
02-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I try to remember my cloth bags, but when I forget, I don't feel too bad taking the plastic. I use it for garbage bags, kitty litter and a bunch of other things

AlyciaCheatham
02-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Since it seems that all the stores where I live only have plastic that is what I use...Like most I use them as trash bags...

Capmaster
02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
BYOB. We have heavy cloth bags we empty and hang up for the next time.

MommyandMe
02-19-2010, 05:11 PM
I accept both plastic and paper bags.

Tayja
02-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Plastic. They are great for reusing around the house!

I've thought about switching to re-useable but havent had the $ to invest.

Once my son gets a bit older tho we'll probably use paper at least some of the time (Book covers, school projects etc - lots of uses)

abct
02-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Well, I prefer paper but I don't know of any places that use paper anymore.

Jewls37620
02-22-2010, 06:04 PM
I started using the cloth bags about a year ago. The apartment complex we live in, gave them out at Christmas time with some goodies, and I was hooked! I've bought a couple at stores, one cause they're cute ones lol I have one in the car, one in the van, and a bag of bags for the weekly trip to the store. They work great, because we also use one of the flea market carts, to haul them up to the third floor to home. I think the plastic ones should be outlawed and poo bags, I sure someone will come out with recycled ones. eeww, what will they be made of tho

mwise24
02-24-2010, 06:40 PM
I try to BYOB

maverickguy
04-13-2010, 11:16 AM
and then put them under the kitchen sink to use later.

ContentQueen
04-17-2010, 04:26 AM
I always bring my own bags but my local store will provide reusable ones if you want them for free

Yoli TRUTH
04-27-2010, 08:34 PM
I get paper or plastic (depending on the store). I reuse the bags several times at home for other things and then recycle them. I'm not a fan of the reusable bags. I have seen too many people toting them into the store and they look pretty dirty and nasty. Guess I am a germaphobe, but it doesn't seem sanitary to me. Not everyone has the same cleanliness standards.

Amy Jacobs
04-28-2010, 09:12 AM
I do plastic I do reuse them at home.

hanot08
05-06-2010, 08:16 PM
hello everyone, im hannah from Philippines... here in my country only few establishments uses paper bags, most of them are restaurants only, we uses plastic bags everywhere/anywhere, even in bakeshops. they said that it is cheaper than paper bags, and i agree to that. there is also an advantage with these plastic bags, it is where we put our garbages.. we can still use it even if it's wet unlike those paper bags. but i also want to experience bringing those paper bags from having a grocery, cause it is somewhat cute.

Jel
05-10-2010, 03:56 AM
we use plastic bag here...

cdlblast
05-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I forget to take my reusable bags into the store with me.
The clerk automatically bag my groceries in plastic. I reuse the
plastic bags in my small waste baskets.

AngelaSam
05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I use cloth, paper and plastic.

I use the plastic for bathroom wastepaper basket liners.

teapot
05-12-2010, 05:19 AM
i'll choose plastic...i can put it under the sink then use it as garbage bag when i need it.