WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Is this reasonable?

AlvinGirl
08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi, I'm thinking of charging $30 a day for one child and $50 a day if they have two. But I am not going to provide meals. The parents must provide at least a lunch for the child. I will provide a cold breakfast and some snacks and drinks. Is that reasonable for the price? I live in SE Texas btw.

ferfer
08-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow, I didn't realize what a great deal I am getting on my sitter. She charges me $20 a day which is actually high for around here because the local day care charges $75/week. The only reason I use the sitter instead is b/c I only bring my dd one or at most two days a week so it is cheaper for me. With the daycare you pay whether they show up or not. The sitter also provides lunch. I am in TN, so don't get me wrong, what you are charging may in fact be perfectly reasonable. But it is interesting to see the different prices in the different regions.

AlvinGirl
08-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for your opinion Ferfer. When I go on Craigslist for my area and look at the women offering child care in their home, I am on the low end. Daycare is very expensive in the Houston area, and they won't take sick kids.
I'm not so much concerned with the price of care, but the price of food. I mean, if I go ahead and provide meals, should I raise my rate? Does anyone else have any opinions?

steffk
08-31-2009, 08:20 PM
When I did daycare one of the first things I did was call around and get some local rates. Then I went with the average. I didn't want to go too low because I knew I could offer something more, but I also wanted to be able to help other families out. Those rates are high for Kansas, but if you know that they are comparable to your local rates then it sounds like you are on the right track.

I don't know how daycares are there, but if I didn't feed the kids I wouldn't have had any business here. I don't know what ages you plan on taking but you can cook smart, buy in bulk and if you are still low then raise the rates $10 a week to cover the cost of food.

cinnamonmomof3
08-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Those rates seem reasonable, but I would include meals. Is there any kind of state food subsidy for daycares? Or maybe a Costco or whatever bulk food store you have down there.