WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Very Annoying Tactic

SLgirl
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I am not usually one to complain, but I was so annoyed by this I thought I'd share so none of you make the same mistake.

Saturday night I took my son and daughter out to dinner for my son's birthday. When we started to enter the restaurant we were accosted by 2 girls in black coctail dresses with clip boards and a red silk rose (tacky from the $1 store I am sure). They immediately went into their spiel about customer appreciation night blah, blah, blah and wantedus to fill out a form to "win a free facial" Before they could finish I politely said we were not interested and tried to enter the restaurant. They wouldn't let up. We were bombarded with questions at about a hundred miles an hour and wouldn't have been able to answer anyway because they wouldn't shut up. I asked my family to go ahead and go in and I stayed behind to "talk" to these girls.

I proceeded to politelytell them that while I appreciate they are trying to drum up new customers, they need to back off when someone says they are not interested. I also told them that Mary Kay ladies are known for accosting people in malls and other places. I said the last thing I want to do when I am taking my family out to dinner is stop and fill out a survey. I wasn't mean, just wanted to let them know that I thought their tactic was inappropiate.

I know that this is one of the "ideas" that they are given in training. I just think it is really stupid and extremely annoying.

mkcecilia
07-27-2009, 10:36 AM
I might have to agree and that is not my way of making new business. When I am out, whether it is to a restaurant or running errands, I don't want to be approached or asked tons of questions. This I have not done nor could do, especially if they are out enjoying their families, because I feel the same way! I believe in direct sales, some aggression 'might' be necessary, but I would rather gentle persuasion. Handing out cards might be more smooth....

sparkler
07-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Slgirl, I was told by my director that I was stupid to feel the same way you do when I also voiced my concerns about attacking people in public places like this.

She told me that I overthink everything and give women too much credit for having brains!!!! smileys/smiley3.gifsmileys/smiley5.gif

Jolly
07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
This is an old old tactic formerly encouraged by directors who might not even be around anymore! It was during the "one month wonder" heydays. Corporate issued a statement against it years ago.. but since it is probably on some internet site, poor new consultants or newly "career motivated" consultants are led to give it a try.

buster4
08-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Hi ladies,

I haven't posted on this board in a long time, because I saw that it had become a place only for Mk reps. Well in the mean time I have re-started my business and I am really liking it.

I came across this posting and couldn't help but smile a bit. This is not my way of working my business, and I wouldn't do it this way. I know that it is an old idea. I was told by my Director that our National once did this when she was fairly new. Handed out 40 roses at a restaurant and offered a free pampering session and many people were interested. However, On follow-up calls she booked only one appointment and that lady is the number one director in our area today and has been for years now.
So, she did not generate a lot of business from this idea, but the one session she did book has turned out to have a great business for herself.

I believe we have to try different things to find out what works for us individually. Hopefully we can do things like this by just offering a free pampering session without being pushy about it, and be respectful about it when people decline.

SLgirl, I feel bad that you had a bad experience.

Buster4

Future_Director
08-04-2009, 01:44 PM
I have actually used this technique with great success. Some restaurant managers call me to come back! Buuuut I have a drawing for a $50 restaurant gift card. That's what they sign up for. The entry form offers a facial or makeover if they like. And I only call those people that said they wanted to be contacted. But it's not required to win. The manager pulls the name. I call the person to let them know they one. If the winner did not want extra services, I just mail their card to them. But I'm also not the pushy type. So you just have to be repectful of the people you approach and the restaurant because you don't want them to lose business on account of you!

buster4
08-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Future_director,

Good for you. I think it is all about finding ways that work for us to grow our businesses. But like you and others here have said, I feel it is important to be respectful. Especially because the primary reason they came to the restaurant in the first place was to eat ;)

Buster4

Jolly
08-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi ladies,

I haven't posted on this board in a long time, because I saw that it had become a place only for Mk reps. Well in the mean time I have re-started my business and I am really liking it.

I came across this posting and couldn't help but smile a bit. This is not my way of working my business, and I wouldn't do it this way. I know that it is an old idea. I was told by my Director that our National once did this when she was fairly new. Handed out 40 roses at a restaurant and offered a free pampering session and many people were interested. However, On follow-up calls she booked only one appointment and that lady is the number one director in our area today and has been for years now.
So, she did not generate a lot of business from this idea, but the one session she did book has turned out to have a great business for herself.

I believe we have to try different things to find out what works for us individually. Hopefully we can do things like this by just offering a free pampering session without being pushy about it, and be respectful about it when people decline.

SLgirl, I feel bad that you had a bad experience.

Buster4

I wonder if anyone would publish the name of that director, and tell us if she is still a director.

buster4
08-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Yes, my director is still a director. Our National, who was the one I spoke about that tried this idea, is also still a national. And the one woman who booked the class and became a consultant and since then a director, is also still a director. And no, I am not going to name names.

Take care
Buster4