WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : FTCC/Career Step program

AnneMD
06-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Hey! Just wondering if anyone has taken the medical coding program through FTCC? They are partnered with Career Step and so use their program. I just signed up today for the July 1st class. Would love to talk to anyone who has taken it or might be signing up for it!

Anne

Mddrthr2
06-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm thinking about signing up also Anne for the July 1st class.

AnneMD
06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Oh good! It will be great to have someone else to talk to while we take the class. I am so excited about it. Can't even believe we're getting Career Step's program at such a great price! Can't wait to get started...

Mddrthr2
06-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Anne I registered earlier today. I can't wait to start. I'll PM you later so we can chat during the duration of the course.

skybabies3
06-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I was thinking of doing this I wanted to ask I see where it says we have to take part one then afterwards we take part two ok now after that is that all we have to do to become certified as a medical coder and be able to work from hom or after we do part one and part two will there be more we need to do and if so do we do in on this FTCC site sorry I am new at this and been working from home for over 6 years now I want to get into the medical field and work from home Thanks Deb

Mddrthr2
06-21-2009, 02:10 PM
You have to take Part 1 and Part II to have completed the course. You can't take Part II until after the session for Part I is completed even if you finish it early.

AnneMD
06-21-2009, 04:41 PM
FTCC is offering the Career Step program... they are just breaking it down into two parts. Once you finish the two parts, then you are finished with the MT course from Career Step.
But completing school will not cause you to automatically become a certified coder. No school can do that. The schools just teach you how to do coding and help prepare you to take the certification exams to be certified as a coder. You get certified through AAPC or AHIMA. I believe there is a charge to take the certification exams.
Also, you are not likely to be able to find work from home immediately after finishing a coding course. Most of the at-home positions require you to have experience first...though I'm sure there are some exceptions and some coders start out working at home right away, that would be rare. I do think that the field if moving more and more towards being an at-home career, though... they just aren't there yet.
If you want to work from home immediately, you might be interested in checking out Medical Transcription.
Hope this helps!

Mddrthr2
06-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Has anyone else signed up besides me and Anne?

logansmommy2004
06-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I signed up for the MT course on June 19th but I've seriously been having second thoughts. I'm more interested in doing medical coding even though I know it's harder to find a wah job. But I think I'd be willing to work outside the home to gain experience if there is hope in the future to work at home.

I sent an email asking if there was any way to change courses but I haven't heard anything back. I hope I'm not too late!

Mddrthr2
06-28-2009, 05:25 AM
Well, I'm excited that the course will be starting this week. I wish we could get our books before the holiday weekend. I don't have any plans and it would be a good time to get some reading done.

logansmommy2004
06-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I got a reply back saying it would be no problem to change my course to the Medical Billing and Coding. So looks like I'll be joining you tomorrow in getting started. YAY! Feel free to pm to keep in touch as we go along.

Mddrthr2
06-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Welcome to our little three-some Jennifer. Looks like it'll be me, you and Anne.

I wish we could get our books before the weekend.

AnneMD
06-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Yay Jennifer! I'm glad you were able to switch!

Well, we all should definitely keep in touch! I'm surprised there aren't more people in the class. I do know someone else from here that is joining the August class... so I'm sure we'll be able to chat with her some, too.

I'm excited to get started tomorrow!

AnneMD
07-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Have either of you gotten your log ins yet? I read where someone in the Transcription Folder already got their log in and they are working on the orientation. I haven't gotten anything yet. Wondering if there is a problem? I hope it comes soon!

logansmommy2004
07-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Yep I got mine at 11:47 (eastern). I've all ready done orientation and I've moved on to the next module. I hope you get yours soon!

AnneMD
07-01-2009, 03:43 PM
You're moving fast Jennifer!
I did finally get my log in and I'm working on the orientation now.

I also just got a UPS notice that Career Step is shipping my books... they are supposed to arrive on Friday. That was fast!

logansmommy2004
07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm glad you got your log in! I've finished orientation and the next module so I'm calling it a day. :) My tracking info says my books won't be delivered until the 8th! I was really hoping to get them before the weekend. :( Wonder why mine are going to take so long. Oh well, I'll get them eventually.

AnneMD
07-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Great job moving through those modules, Jennifer! I got busy with some other things today and have only gotten half way through the orientation. I'll definitely finish it tonight, though. But then I have some transcription to do for my other course (I'm hopefully finishing up MTEC's medical transcription course this summer).

I guess how fast the books arrive depends on where you live. We are in the Seattle area, so not too far from Utah.

logansmommy2004
07-01-2009, 07:51 PM
I wanted to get through the general stuff so that I could move on to the important modules. :)
Wow that's great that you are doing MT as well! You are going to be very busy with both courses at the same time, at least for a little while. ;)I want to do both as well andIdebated which to do first lol.

What made you decide to do both courses if I might ask?

AnneMD
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I am going to be busy! But I'm in the phase of MTEC where pretty much all I have left is transcribing reports and so it will be a nice break for me to do some reading for this course each day, too. And the review of terminology, pharmacology, etc. will help me prepare for my MTEC final and RMT exam. So that will be good.

I'm excited to become an MT, but I wanted to have the coding certification too, just to increase my skill set and open up a variety of job opportunities. My hope is that I'll be able to do MT for a couple of years and then transition to a coding job. My dream job would be one where I could do both coding and MT during the day... though I don't know that that job existsyet. It may be around the corner, though, with all the changes taking place with electronic health records. I just want to be prepared, I guess... and this is the best time for me to be able to devote the time to get all the education and certifications behind me.

AnneMD
07-01-2009, 08:11 PM
P.S. My daughter's birthday is in '04, too... September 2nd. :) This is a fun age!

jehjir
07-02-2009, 07:03 AM
what is the site address to check out Career Steps?

Thanks

logansmommy2004
07-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Angela - The main Career Step website is www.careerstep.com (http://www.careerstep.com) but we are taking the course through Fayetteville Technical Community College at http://www.ftccmedonline.com (http://www.ftccmedonline.com). HTH!

Anne - That is really great! We both seem to have the same goals in mind. :) I can't wait to do the MT course as well. I don't know if I want to go through CS as well because of the cost or MTEC because I've heard great things about them.

Yes this is a fun age. My ds turned 5 last month and now he thinks he is a grown up lol. Cute story: Yesterday he got mad about a toy and said he didn't want to be part of our family. So he went and packed a little bag of clothes, got his pillow and blanket and then spent 20 minutes going up and down the sidewalk debating what to do next. (I had my eye on him the whole time.)Finally he came in and said, "I'm staying!" LOL Definitely a fun age!

Did you notice our Joined date is almost exactly the same as well? (I was a member of the old board before that as well.) Crazy! ;)

Mddrthr2
07-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi all,

I'm a little slow in getting started with the orientation. How is everyone doing so far? I missed a couple of questions but still did okay.

Mddrthr2
07-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I just looked at the expiration date for this course. Does this really expire in July 2010? I thought it was much sooner.

Helen

Mddrthr2
07-06-2009, 06:07 AM
I was disappointed to find out that the only books that we would be getting would be only dictionaries, etc. I was hoping that we could get a course book so I wouldn't have to sit at the computer.

I don't really want to print out pages every time I want to sit someplace else and study.

logansmommy2004
07-08-2009, 09:54 AM
How is everyone doing so far? I'm moving along slowly but surely. :) My books are due to arrivesome time today.

I followed a link to a Medical Billing/Coding Community forum and I must say I have become very discouraged after reading some of the posts over there. The impression I got from them was that there is 0 chance of finding any billing/coding jobs to do from home even with experience. Unless, of course, if you start your own business and find your own clients but most likely you'll end up working in-house.

Talk about depressing! My ultimate goal is to continue working from home and it just doesn't look like that's going to be possible. Maybe I should have stuck with MT but even that isn't a guarantee.

Sorry for venting! I am really enjoying the course but where is it going to get me in the end I'm wondering. :(

AnneMD
07-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Hey Jennifer,
I'm moving slowing through, too. I'm on the grammar section on Med Term Block 1 right now. I'm not finding it difficult, but I'm suddenly feeling overwhelmed with how much there is to go through on top of having to finish my transcriptions for MTEC!

As for feeling depressed about what you read on the billing/coding forum... try not to let it get you down. There are plenty of MT forums where people complain that they can't get a job... but plenty of new grads DO get jobs. They are busy working! The thing about a lot of forums is that people who are having problems or wanting to complain seem to gravitate towards them.

Now, that said, it may be difficult to land your first job in coding working from home. I do think some people are able to do it... but I know it is hard. But from things I've read, it seems like coding is going to become more of an at-home position... especially as facilities move more and more to EHR. It used to be that you HAD to be on-site to code, because you needed to actually have the patient's medical file in your hand in order to do that job. But those hard copy files are going to be a thing of the past... the records will be online... and many facilities would rather employees work from home, anyway. It is a cost-savings for them, too!

Maybe you should consider doing both the coding and the MT courses... that is what I did. My hope is to do MT from home first with the plan of eventually moving into a coding job from home. I may be dreaming... but I'm following my dream! LOL!

Mddrthr2
07-08-2009, 11:05 AM
You guys are really moving along. I'm still on the hardware section, not because it's hard, I'm strugging to find extra time in my day. I'm sure I'll get something done over the weekend and catch up.

I got my box of books on Monday. I didn't open then since there was no "hard copy course book".

logansmommy2004
07-08-2009, 11:26 AM
AnneMD - Thank you so much for your post! It's so easy to read those forums and get discouraged. I just have to remember for every 100 that fail there are those few that succeed. :) I all ready had plans to do the MT course as well so looks like we are dreaming the same dream lol. Thank you again for being so encouraging!

Mddrthr2 - I have extra time on my hands because I lost my job a few weeks ago but I must say I've been neglecting my housework lol. I just got my box of books a few minutes ago so I'm off to open them. :)

logansmommy2004
07-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I just saw on the FTCC MedOnline website:

PLEASE NOTE: Prices for FTCC Med Online courses will increase after August 15th, 2009. The increase in price is due to legislation passed by the North Carolina state legislature. All courses that begin after August 15th, 2009 will cost $175.00.

I wonder if that is $175 total or for each part?

Mddrthr2
07-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Jennifer, I received an email with the information. I'm sure it's for both parts, which is still a bargain (if you got the funds).

fatface
07-08-2009, 09:51 PM
$175.00 for Part Iand $175.00 for Part II prices are going up..
Edited by: fatface

AnneMD
07-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Yes, but I still feel like they are practically giving the program away to us! No complaints from me...smileys/smiley2.gif

fatface
07-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah its still a good deal. I decided not to go through with it though, I dont think my passion is strong enough, I have another passion to fill. But my neighbor signed up,she never got to pursue a degree or anything in life so this means a lot to her.
Edited by: fatface

logansmommy2004
07-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Hi! I just wanted to check in with my fellow classmates to see how you're doing and where we all are in the modules. :)

I'm doing good. I just finished up Med Term block 2. I swear I've made at least 300 flash cards and I try to study them as much as I can which really helps.

I can't wait to hear how everyone else is doing!

Mddrthr2
07-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I haven't done anything in a week toward my coursework. I've been too busy at my day job getting home at 10pm most days. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch up some over the weekend.

How is everyone else doing? How far have you gotten? I'm still on the first section.

Helen

Virginia7861
07-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't know....am I the only one that needs a little bit more time to memorize those suffixes and prefixessmileys/smiley5.gif? I did print out a study planner...that keeps me on track. We have only until the end of Oct. and I am just finishing up Block 1...</font></font>

Mddrthr2
07-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Well, I FINALLY made it to medical terminology. I didn't think I was every going to get here. I just glanced at the first few pages, but I'm with your Virginia on trying to remember prefixes and suffixes.

Helen

Mddrthr2
09-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Hey Anne,

How's the medical coding going? I haven't had much time to do anything and will probably have to see if I can get an extension.

Helen