WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Skittish pet

pippy
05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone

I am having a problem with our dog. We got him from the humane society almost 5 years ago and is a very good dog. We got him when he was only 9 months and is a mixed breed and is mid-sized. They didn't know too much about him and said he was a transfer.

He is a very smart dog, learns tricks in a snap, is happy, friendly and very very well behaved. The only problem is that he is a scardy cat. I thought at first it was because he was afraid of his new surroundings, but now after 5 years I know it is more than that.

If anything changes in our house, it takes him a long time to get use to it.For example if I re arrange the furniture, because the couch is not where it should be, he won't go into that room for days!

He will go out through the back door with no problems but if I put something near his path that wasn't there before, I can't get him to go outside unless I move it out of his site.

This morning our cat knocked down our curtain near the stairs and he would not go down the stairs to go out side unless I put it back up!!

He hates flash lights- which is un-nerving tome, because that is why we got him for protection. Can you imagine if someone broke into our house at night with a flash light?

It's obvious something really bad happened to him, and need to know if there is any way we can get him to stop being so frightened of everything.

We reward him when he does eventually get brave enough, but that does not seem to work.

Any suggestions?

warn81
05-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't have any suggestions...I just want to say I hope you are able to help your dog....it seems like something bad happened to him, poor thing.

PetsRFamilyToo!
05-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Just keeping teaching him that bravery is good. Do you show him the new changes around the house when you make them purposefully?

You can try that, then give him comfort. He will come to see that change is ok.

Some pets have extreme anxiety, i use thomas labs remedies on my pets. Sometimes a vet may prescribe drugs, but I don't support that always.

Try natural methods first.

http://thomasvetdrug.com/