WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : fellow crafters please read

cwah_mom_ohio
05-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Hello everyone

It seem like people are starting to give up on crafting. Please don't give up.
Has anyone considered etsy.com to sell your own stuff? I am. I am making purses and clutch bags and eye glass cases. Also some plastic canvas items. NEC has got me back into the crafting mode. I just wondered if anyone else thought of making our own stuff to sell? After all we have learned some good skills. We just can't copy what we make for them. Right??Take what skills you have learned and think of what you could make on your own from your own ideas. That way no one can tell you that you did it wrong. Look for craft books. They are a great place for ideas.

Look on etsy and see what others are making. Don't copy them, just get ideas. See which ones you could make. Don't give up on crafts. This is a skill to keep up on and pass on to our kids and grandkids.

Those that sew, make coasters or lap blankets, both are easy enough to make. No pattern is needed. Look for other simple projects to start out with. If you've gotten good with the felt, try making dog/kitty toys. Those that crochet, try making doll clothes (if you know how to follow the patterns). If you can't follow the hard patterns, make doll afghans. Small quick project. Plastic canvas is also fun, SOOO many books out on that. Like cross stitch, only bigger.

In short, there are so many crafts to make. Use your imagination. Make a sample and ask friends and family if they would buy it if they seen it on a craft site or craft bazaar for sale. Take their thoughts on what could be made better, fix it and try again.

DO NOT GIVE UP!

There are so many places on the internet for free patterns and tutorials. Just do a search on what you'd like to try. Take a few minutes and look through the listings and in no time you'll be a crafting mom or dad.

Just felt lead to make a post to keep everyone's spirits up. Have a great day crafting and creating!

God Bless your hands to make them skilled and crafty.

JungleMommy
05-04-2009, 01:56 PM
do you have a site where we can see your stuff? I could use an eyeglass case or two http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif

cwah_mom_ohio
05-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Sorry not yet. I need to read and see how to get an etsy account. Then I need my daughter to show me how to upload pics. Just got the camera and not really sure how it works yet. I'll let you know when I get a site.

Thanks for the interest in the cases. Any certain fabric you'd like?

gingerbread
05-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I was just on the etsy site yesterday. Alot of neat stuff. That is a terrific site. Can hardly wait to see your crafts also.
I wear glasses too. Am always into a new eye glass case. I like bright colors.http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif
And ya know I shop Sundance. And they had the neatest purse made out of granny squares. Was pretty pricey. Could you make a granny square hand bag? My daughter loved it. Would love to buy her one.

angelasgiftnook
05-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I used to try sell my items on Etsy but don't anymore. I didn't really have the time to put into it. I didn't sell one thing there, though. I don't know if it was my stuff that people didn't like or if it was just not getting enough traffic to the store.

I would like to try it again someday.

Angela

cwah_mom_ohio
05-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Ouch! Man the granny square purse is pricey. That wouldn't be that hard to make. Just 12 squares and a lining. I'll defiantly keep that in mind. I just found out last night my sewing machine will sew through crocheted yarn. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gifSo the purse is a possibility. I'll start working on that one tonight. Promise it won't cost as much as the otherone.

Yes they'reall one of a kind, but be realistic. Why sell only 1 for $125 when you could sell several for a lower price? Yes more profit at one time but not as many sells. I don't know, maybe it's just me...I don't think it makes sense to charge that much. Some purses on etsy are out there too.

Cindy, I'll check my yarn supply and get a prototype made up.

JM, I made up a eye glass case today but don't like how it finished. I'll keep working on it and let you know when I get a nicer looking one.

You gals are keeping me inspired! Thank you very much.
Debbie

kstrange
05-05-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm a knitter and would like to sell wool diaper covers (aka longies and shorties), in addition to other knitted projects. My only question about selling on etsy is what about taxes? I know under the table is fun and all, but I would like to do it legite, but I don't know how. Do you get a business license and have a business or do you just take the money and run :)

gingerbread
05-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Oh Debbie thank you so much.
The color combination made that Granny Square Purse a knock out.

If you can make it with a color scheme that looks as good would love to purchase it for my daughter.

Wow I just realized they make them one of a kind and they are all different in color. Oh well use what you think would look good. She would like earthy colors rather than pastels.

Thanks againhttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

CindyEdited by: gingerbread

gingerbread
05-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Debbie on Sundance they show two different color schemes for that purse. She liked the one with the dark brown edging and darker handle. Think the colors contrast better than on the other lighter brown one.

We first saw it in a catalog we receive monthly. Thanks again. Who knows what you could sell with such talent. Just have to be creative I think. And be in the right place at the right time. I guess having that Robert Redford backing helped the designer of that purse.http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifEdited by: gingerbread

cwah_mom_ohio
05-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Cindy,
I made up a trial purse out of squares I already had made up. They are from the center out - light blue - darker blue - purple. Made with my mom & dad's favorite colors.

It ended up 3 squares across - 2 squares high and the bottom is 1 square wide. Approx 14 inches wide - 8 inches high - 7 inches front to back. With a machine stitched handle made of light blue nylon webbing.

It was fun to make. I'm glad you suggested it. I'll have to have my daughter take pics so I can let you see it. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif

Debbie

gingerbread
05-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Oh wow
Thank you Debbie.
I can hardly wait to see it.

Maybe you could sell some on Etsy too.http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

cwah_mom_ohio
05-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Cindy,
Our daughter has our camera, but will get it back ASAP so I can take pics.
Debbie

gingerbread
05-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Debbie
Thanks for letting me know. I will be here.http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

JungleMommy
05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
I wanna see the purse too. can you email a pic or post one?

cwah_mom_ohio
05-27-2009, 02:28 PM
Hello eveyone
I finally got the camera issues figured out. The granny square purse is on my etsy site. The link is in my siggy line below. Thanks for taking a look.

1usa
06-05-2009, 08:24 PM
It's a very nice idea and crochet partis done very good but there are some things buyers would probably like to see changed.This place is perfect toask other people opinions and advices on your work so you can improve and be on the top.
Good luck!

gingerbread
06-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I was just on a crafting site Artfire.com

I really enjoyed the site.

I saw some of the cutest crafts made out of fiber. It is the felting craft with fiber. Some of the cutest Teddy Bears on this site.

Also Kathy and I had discussed selling that bookmark as a bracelet. And right on the artfire site there was a bracelet made out of embroidery floss. A different pattern than the bookmark but a bracelet out of the same material.

I read a review saying the artfire site was better than the etsy site. So I thought I would mention it in case some of you have not heard of it.

Wow so many nice hand made items.

Check it out if you have not visited the site before.http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

JungleMommy
06-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Debbie; love the purse! I am planning on ordering one, but I need to transfer some money into my paypal acct. first. Meanwhile I will think of colors..... http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley17.gif

JM

catrules
06-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Hi,

I make a variety of crafts, and sewing projects at home. Right now we are involved with the farmer's market, where we sell veggies, and plants. But I also take my items there and do not do to badly with sales. I keep swatches of fabric, and samples of what I make, and give out business cards asking people to contact me if they would like for me to do a home party. That has been working out pretty well so far. But, like I said, I have only been doing this for a little while.

kalola
06-15-2009, 08:20 PM
Debbie-
Congrats on opening up your Etsy shop! I am working on getting my Etsy site going as well. Hopefully, it will be up and running in the next week. I checked out your site...don't forget to do your policies!!

~carole~

cwah_mom_ohio
06-16-2009, 12:31 AM
carole, thank you. I still have alot to learn about etsy and selling online. But thanks for the reminder. Good luck with your site as well.

kalola
06-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Debbie-
Selling online and starting up this Etsy site is new to me too! Over the weekend my friend helped me set up my avatar and banner since I don't have photoshop which is something you also need to add to yours.

~carole~

cwah_mom_ohio
06-16-2009, 06:36 PM
carole. I couldn't figure out how to make one. I had a pic I wanted to use, but didn't look right when I uploaded it. I will keep trying. Might need to ask my kids how to do that. They are computer savvy.

cwah_mom_ohio
06-16-2009, 06:36 PM
carole, what's your site link?

kalola
06-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Debbie-
My etsy site is: http://kawaiimono.etsy.com

My banner and avi is very simple looking. All I have set up is my banner, avi and profile which you can check out.Still working on the policies and item descriptions.I'm still in the learning stages...

~carole~

kalola
06-16-2009, 07:36 PM
debbie-
your avi and banner need to be a specific size - you probably have to crop it down. i'm clueless when it comes to this computer stuff - my daughter has to help me.

~carole~

tweetykiss
08-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I love to craft and I want to know how is business on etsy? If it sells, I will do my own crafts to sell.

cwah_mom_ohio
08-29-2009, 04:39 AM
Hi Tweety
I haven't done anymore with etsy. Some of the people on there seem to be doing well. I guess it just depends on what you have and if it's "different". If you want to make stuff to sell take a look at what is selling the most & their prices to get an idea of what stuff is going for.

Sorry I can't be much help on etsy. They do have a forum to ask questions or just read over.

DFWcandlemom
09-08-2009, 10:20 AM
I make my own jewelry and sell it. I would never dream of giving up my craft. I've been making it for years now and although it is mostly a hobby for me, it can be pretty lucrative. I feel blessed to know that this is a God-given talent and whenever I need quick cash for something, I can easily raise a couple hundred dollars just by taking my wares to the local banks, doctors and attorney offices. It's also very therapeutical for me.

cwah_mom_ohio
09-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I agree with you. It is very relaxing to do crafts. I have been busy making the stuff for NEC and haven't had time to make anything to sell on etsy. I bought a bunch of crayons when walmart had them for 25 cents. I checked with a local children's hospital about donations...They welcome handmade (safe) crafted items. I plan to make craon rolls and totes to donate for Christmas. I already have a nice stash of children's fabrics to make the item from. They also need cloth dolls made to help explain the surgeries to the kids. That sounds like a fantastic idea. My brother spent a good deal of his childhood at this hospital and they were great to him. This is my way of saying thank you and giving back. It's so sad that so many kids have to spend a lot of their childhood in & out of hospitals.

I'm glad to hear that God has blessed you with such a great talent. I have to work at crafts. I hope someday they will be second nature for me.

What sort of jewelry do you make? I'd love to learn how to do wire wrapped jewelry. I stink at it at this point. I bought a dvd on jtv on wire wrapping. I want to learn how to wrap faceted gemstones.

Good luck everyone

DFWcandlemom
09-08-2009, 08:41 PM
See, that's one talent I don't share with you. I cannot sew to save my life. I've tried and my hubby bought me a really nice sewing machine because I told him I could sew some clothes. HA! I got the machine and it sits looking pretty in my craft room. I even purchased patterns and all kinds of notions. To walk in my craft room you'd think I'm a professional seamstress. I wish! I can sew a button or two and maybe a hem. Nothing too complicated for me because my little brain cannot wrap itself around such difficult tasks as is sewing. LOL!

I make sterling silver and gemstone/crystal/pearl jewelry. I have made a couple wrapped wire pieces but I'm not too keen on wrapping as they all seem to look the same to me, with all the swirly wire wrapped around the stones. They are pretty but they all look the same to me. I guess it's a personal thing, you know?

As a hobby, jewelry-making is very expensive as it takes hundreds of dollars to purchase the sterling silver, stones, crystals and all that goes with it. I started when I was working and was plunking down an easy $300 to $400 per week. I accumulated a lot of sterling silver as well as 14k gold findings. Years later, I'm still designing jewelry from that stash. LOL! It's definitely addictive. :) Here's one of my wrapped pieces.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/bambinalatina/silverwrapdancers.jpg

I agree with you. It is very relaxing to do crafts. I have been busy making the stuff for NEC and haven't had time to make anything to sell on etsy. I bought a bunch of crayons when walmart had them for 25 cents. I checked with a local children's hospital about donations...They welcome handmade (safe) crafted items. I plan to make craon rolls and totes to donate for Christmas. I already have a nice stash of children's fabrics to make the item from. They also need cloth dolls made to help explain the surgeries to the kids. That sounds like a fantastic idea. My brother spent a good deal of his childhood at this hospital and they were great to him. This is my way of saying thank you and giving back. It's so sad that so many kids have to spend a lot of their childhood in & out of hospitals.

I'm glad to hear that God has blessed you with such a great talent. I have to work at crafts. I hope someday they will be second nature for me.

What sort of jewelry do you make? I'd love to learn how to do wire wrapped jewelry. I stink at it at this point. I bought a dvd on jtv on wire wrapping. I want to learn how to wrap faceted gemstones.

Good luck everyone

cwah_mom_ohio
09-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Oh my. That's beautiful. I wish I could do that.

I hear ya on the costs. My hubby collects gemstones. I have a nice collection of tanzanite. I like blue stones better even though they aren't worth as much. I like london blue topaz the most. I'd like to find a way to wrap them with wire. I'm not really a ring person as I have artheritis and my fingers swell, so I can't find ready made settings for my pretty stones. I'm also not a gold fan, I prefer sterling. He's not too happy with the thought of mounting a choice stone in sterling. So it sits in a little box.

Glad you are able to find such eager buyers for your jewelry. Being "1 of a kind" is a great selling point. People are looking for something no one else or nearly no one else has.

I've seen some ladies with really nice pendants when I worked at the mall. One lady said she got them from a local lady that sells at a craft mall. I never did find the craft mall.

Good luck

DFWcandlemom
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Wrapping stones takes a lot of time and patience. I also prefer the sterling silver over the gold. I did some custom wrapping on a set of Larimar (pendant and earrings) I'll see if I can find a pic of them. They were done in gold, however.

Yes, one-of-a-kind jewelry certainly sells more than anything in a catalog. It sure helps when I have shows. I've been thinking of getting some Argentium silver as that wouldn't oxidize as easily as sterling silver. It's pricey but well worth it since you don't have to constantly polish it.

Here's the pic of the Larimar set...the pendant is out of focus...sorry about that.

http://www.christianforums.com/users/85562-albums24-1159.jpg

kcduffer
09-09-2009, 06:35 AM
You do beautiful work. It's so fresh and doesn't look like what is already 'on the rack'.

I've made some jewelry, but have found it to be surprisingly expensive, so I just do it when I need something specific that I can't find. I frequently want something that isn't a current, hot color. I get lots of compliments, but feel like I'm not that creative. I'm good at recreating ideas that I've already seen, but not being truly creative. I'm watching GMA and the necklace that Robin has on is stunning. I think I've heard that she has a family member who makes them for her to wear on the show.

DFWcandlemom
09-09-2009, 07:17 AM
Yes, it is expensive to make. Thank you for your kind comments, they are most appreciated!

I don't ever plan or sit down and draw a design before making something. I just sit in my spot, wherever that may be for the day, and I take out my stones and materials and I just put it together as I go. Sometimes, I make something that I think is hideous and it turns out that others love it! LOL....beauty IS in the eye of the beholder, I've found out with this jewelry thing.

You do beautiful work. It's so fresh and doesn't look like what is already 'on the rack'.

I've made some jewelry, but have found it to be surprisingly expensive, so I just do it when I need something specific that I can't find. I frequently want something that isn't a current, hot color. I get lots of compliments, but feel like I'm not that creative. I'm good at recreating ideas that I've already seen, but not being truly creative. I'm watching GMA and the necklace that Robin has on is stunning. I think I've heard that she has a family member who makes them for her to wear on the show.