WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Do Babies Read

ItsMeMe
04-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Is there anyone here using the Your Baby Can Read System? There is a support group forming at YourBabyCanREadForum.com.

We are very excited about it. Please tell me. I know there's a lot of debate about this system.

mrshannigan
04-21-2009, 08:21 PM
We have everything in our house labeled for our early readers and my 16 month old can place the right word labels on the right appliances, she has the look of the word memorized, which is what those baby reading programs are all about. I did the Doman program with my 6 yr old when she was a baby. It worked, but keeping the cards nice when she'd rather chew on them wasn't that easy. I think vendors now are making laminated cards, right. It works, but I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Flash a few cards, it takes less than five minutes a day. I think the people who are upset about it really don't know how simple it is, and that it doesn't really affect the babies at all. It also doesn't eliminate the need for phonics for decoding unfamiliar words, except maybe for some kids. I don't know. Enjoy your new forum.

dusty_rosegirl
05-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I used this with my son from about 4 months to around 14 months. I think it really helped. I haven't used it consistently in a while because he is always on the move and doesn't like to sit still through the whole thing. But I know that it helped him a lot with learning words and associating them with the actual object/meaning of them. He picks up on those words very quickly now. Enjoy YBCR - it's a great program!