WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Mary Kay shows?

Juliagirl
03-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I was wondering if Mary Kay ladies do shows, or just sell individually? I went to a Bridal Show and signed up to enter a raffle and got a phone call from a rep. The thing is, I sell Lia Sophia jewelry and was thinking about asking this gal to "swap parties". I'll do one for her and she'll do one for me. But not sure if you guys actually do parties?

TIA.
Julia

sparkler
03-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Wouldn't it make more sense to just ask the girl whose number you have? Every one treats their MK activities differently; some have classes, some don't; some concentrate on individuals, some just concentrate on recruiting.

It's an individual thing.

Juliagirl
03-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Of course I can ask her. I just didn't know what "most" MK reps did.smileys/smiley4.gif

sparkler
03-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I have honestly never had any luck with the swapping idea among consultants from other fields. Everyone is trying to scavenge the others' customers, and it just doesn't seem to work out.

Even the bridal fairs have been a bust. Girls sign up for a raffle (that usually doesn't happen) just b/c they feel pressured to do so. But the majority of times; even when you do call them, they suddenly aren't interested anymore.

Juliagirl
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Wow I'm sorry to hear that you've had no luck with show swapping. How many times have you tried it? I don't think of it as "scavenging the others' customers". I prefer to think of it as "expanding my hostess and customer base......i.e., growing my business!smileys/smiley4.gif

Also sorry to hear about your Bridal Shows - too bad business does not seem to be going well for you. Maybe you should think about doing something else?

Have a great Lia Sophia day! smileys/smiley4.gif

Julia

sparkler
03-10-2009, 05:53 AM
How many times have you tried it?

More than enough times to know that it just doesn't work; it's a fantasy on paper.

Maybe you should think about doing something else?

I am involved in the bridal business; but this time it is with customers who actually seek out the products I provide!! No arm-twisting involved.

crownjewels
03-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Just popping in! The deal is with MK skin care classes is there are usually only 3-6 people involved so it is much different than lia sophia where the "more the merrier" especially if the hostess wants to get those 10 guestorders. She may not feel it would be a fair swap since you would only have to invite up to 6-8 forthe Mary Kay classand she would need to invite 15-30 for her jewelry show. You really have 2 totally different venues here. Mary Kay is more of a person to person, personalized thing rather than a huge show where people just look through the catalog and try on jewelry.
I'mnot wild about partyswapping either because I usually end up doing more work than the person I swapped with. This hashappened to me 2 times and that was enough for me to stop swapping. But that is not to say that it won't work for you and for her. Give her a call and see!

Jolly
03-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow I'm sorry to hear that you've had no luck with show swapping. How many times have you tried it? I don't think of it as "scavenging the others' customers". I prefer to think of it as "expanding my hostess and customer base......i.e., growing my business!smileys/smiley4.gif

Also sorry to hear about your Bridal Shows - too bad business does not seem to be going well for you. Maybe you should think about doing something else?

Have a great Lia Sophia day! smileys/smiley4.gif

Julia

Julia it sounds like you are looking at all the opportunites to have a strong business in Lia Sophia. good.
However , since you are unfamiliar with the ins and outs of MK.. it is a little early for you to say to an experienced MK person "maybe you should think about doing something else".

For awhile there were many LS parties going on around here.. Now I have not received an invite on almost a year. Any idea why???? ( since you are with LS)

Juliagirl
03-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi Jolly,

I of course did not mean to offend anyone here on the MK boards. I just thought since she sounded like some things she tried were not working well that maybe she needed to try something else. Just an innocent suggestion. smileys/smiley16.gif

I do not know why no one is inviting you to a Lia Sophia party! Where do you live? I would love to send you an invite to any of my upcoming shows. Or if we live far apart I'm sure I can hook you up with one of my many LS friends over on the LS board. We'd love to have ya! smileys/smiley4.gif

I live in northern Indiana!

Julia

Jolly
03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I guess no one is having LS parties around here anymore.
There was an initial succes and then the well of customers dried up / went to the next big thingEdited by: Jolly

sparkler
03-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I of course did not mean to offend anyone here on the MK boards. I just thought since she sounded like some things she tried were not working well that maybe she needed to try something else. Just an innocent suggestion.

I hope indeed that this was just an innocent suggestion. Many of us who have been in the biz for many years have heard these types of condescending remarks from our uplines many times. It grates on my ears.

I will overlook. This time.

bbrown1226
03-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Julia,

I would just go ahead and ask her. I swapped parties with a MK lady before, and it worked out fine. I gained a few new LS hostesses and customers, and she gained some repeat MK customers. I always had them host their party first though, b/c I always put 100% into any parties I host. I wanted to make sure they did the same thing. ;)

Juliagirl
03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi greeneyes and bbrown,

Thank you so much for your kind and insightful responses. I will take your opinions to heart and go from there. I guess you never know until you try.

And thanks to the ladies that PM'd me on this. You've all been so kind!

I wish you all tons of success! smileys/smiley4.gif

Julia