WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Isabel22
12-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Hi I would like to start selling jewelry and have narrowed it down between Premier Designs and Jewels by Park Lane and would like to get some imput from ladies already selling jewelry.

In particular I would like to know the pros and cons and also how does the quality compare with both.

I just moved to a new area and do not anyone so I am alittle scarred starting out with no bookings.

Any suggestions on what has worked best for you to get bookings while starting a new business would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Isabel

shoppingmamma
12-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I started my business after only being in my area a short time - if you can start out with something in your house you can build from there....you can invite neighbors, moms from kids at school or sports, people you or hubby work with, etc. Try to not be afraid to invite ANYONE - in general no one is offended to be invited but may be if they are NOT ;)

As far as pros and cons I don't know much about either - I had bought a few pieces of Premier years ago before I started GemStyle and liked them - they wore quite well and were cute. To me and alot of my friends Jewels by Park Lane can be a little "bling-y"...I would see if that would be a hit or miss in your area in trying to decide.

GOOD LUCK!!!! Best Wishes to you in your new venture!!!

kjewelry
12-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Jill is right on target. Have a get together in your home and invite everyone. This is a great opportunity to make new friends.

Pros and Cons - I like Premier as I have had a ring from them for several years and it still looks brand new as well as a couple of other pieces. Jewels by Park Lane, while they have some pieces I really like, my clients felt that for the most part it was too much bling.

I suggest taking catalogs from both companies and getting opinions from others - this would also be a great way to meet people. Get their name and number so that when you decide you can invite them to a party at your house.

I am wishing you great success in your new business and your new location.

TeamBuilder
12-29-2008, 04:18 PM
HI Isabell

I am with Park Lane and LOVE it. Some say there is a lot of bling...well YES there is, it is about 1/3 of our line! BUT there is a ton of casual, career and trendy too. Plenty of earth tones, natural stones and something for everyone.
ONe thing to keep in mind when comparing is the warranty. Premier covers manufacturers defects only and not wear and tear...PL covers all of it. I am a walking jewelry nightmare - I have broken stuff all the time and have a drawer full of fine jewelry in need of repair - so this was a big plus for me! I have broken a few pieces of PL and sent it back with no problem with replacement...customers can even replace just one earring if they lose one!

I have no idea about the comp plan, host plan and customer plan for Premier, but I can tell you that the plan we have with PL is amazing. Actually the plan is so amazing that more and more experienced people are coming from all different types of party plans to join us!

Let me know if you'd like more info, I'd be happy to give you some details with no obligation and no pressure.

Good luck with your business no matter what you decide!

starstruck
12-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Isabel,
Have you checked out ALL jewelry companies? There are at least 12 that I know of off hand. I would check out each and everyone! I know in my area Austin, Tex that Premier is not as popular as it once was.T ry to go with a company that has not flooded the market in your area.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Crissy
12-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Isabel,

Have you checked out lia sophia? We are fashion jewelry like Premier and JBPL. Our start up kit is on sale in Jan. for only $124!

If I had to choose between the 2, I would choose JBPL simply because of the lower start up cost. I do like both lines. People say that JBPL is very glitzy but I like that.

I don't know about either's comp plans so I would be looking and comparing the two of them.

If you want any further info on lia sophia feel free to pm me.

Good luck in your decision!

TeamBuilder
12-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Crissy - thanks for the endorsement for JBPLhttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif.

Isabel I forgot to mention that sign up until 1/14 is only $5. You can sign up and then hold your opening party within a short time of that.

DazzlePremier
12-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi Isabel~

I am with Premier and I have looked into Park Lane before. It's a good company but Premier offers a wider variety for the everyday customer. I also believe our pay plan exceeds theirs and hasthe additional benefit of keeping all of your profit up-front, whereas with Park Lane they send you a paycheck.

Our guarantee always covers broken jewelry, the "normal wear and tear" that is not covered would be simlpe loss of shine and luster over years.

I think Kelly had a great idea of showing the catalogs around to some women in your area and seeing which one they prefer. You have to have a product that will work well for your potential clients.

If you are not already working with a Premier rep, I will be glad to assist you :) PM if you would like me to send you more info and a catalog.

Edited by: DazzlePremier