WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Crazy*Girl
11-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Long story short

<UL>
<LI>Child here an average of 1 hour per day because of school</LI>
<LI>Parents need a guaranteed spot for snow days, summer etc..</LI>[/list]

Would you charge full time or part time?

tripmom
11-28-2008, 07:25 AM
I would charge an hourly rate for him/her when they have school and charge the full-time rate during summer and other non-school days.

mimomof4
11-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Around here for before and after school day care people charge a minimum of $5 per day/ $25 per week whether your child comes one day, five days or no days. This is how you are guaranteed a open spot on snow days, summer/ winter/ spring vacation, etc. Then they charge the normal rate for the day on those days.

MamaPigg
11-30-2008, 06:21 PM
It depends on your business model. WhenI had "expendable" schoolage spots-like the spots were extras to my income, I might not charge anything to hold a space, as long as the month they were returning was prepaid.

Other times, holding that space interfered with my ability to earn more money, so in those cases, I didn't offer a discount and neither did any of the day care centers in my area. I do know some people that charge a 1/2 rate to hold a space for an extended absence.

With regard to charging full time versus part time for schoolagers, this also depended on my business model at the particular time. If the parentneeded transportation to or from school,I charged pretty close to full time for the slot. Alternatively, I charged a rate in the middle of parttime and full time, payable monthly for all months the child was enrolled,regardless of full day or shortday. If I could work the child into my schedule without provideing transporationa or taking away froma higher paying space, I have been known togive a substantial discount, like hourly only for hours used and no holding fee.