WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : How do I convince Dad?

Somer
10-29-2008, 01:05 PM
My son is only a little over a year old so some of you may be laughing at the fact that I am already thinking about homeschooling...but I am. We live in the Dominican Republic and I am thinking long term and homeschooling could be a good option for my son if we continue to live here. It sounds fun and exciting to me. My husband is Dominican and has a more traditional view. He doesn't think that homeschooling would provide our son with an equally strong education as a structured classroom environment. I'd love some advice on good places to start looking for information, what is a typical day like for a homeschooler, are there requirements by state, etc. And then of course, some help in how to convince my husband that it can work. ;)

jowjo
10-29-2008, 05:22 PM
HI~

I was like you, I started thinking about it very early on. As of now I have been homeschooling for 6 years. I have always homeschooled them, all three of them.
I can understand the convincing part, but mine was a bit easy! My husband is a public school teacher and he knew what is going on in our local schools, so he was more than ready!

Each state does have different laws and requirements. That can be tough depending on where you are from. But trust me, it gets easier each year.
Depending on where you are from you may find homeschooling groups that can helpful to you.

My day of school is different with each day. If it is really nice out, we go out and play with out yellow lab named Boo and get soem excerise and energy gone. Then we hit the school work and sometimes have snacks while we work and just enjoy the time together.

Everyone homeschools different, you have time to find the right set up for you. I used to use a curriculm, but that got expensive. Now I use books from our school it helps financially.

I really enjoy it, just take your time, talk to many people, get some ideas. You will know what is right for you.

Jo

Bailey4
10-30-2008, 05:49 AM
One of the advantages of starting now is that you have time to educate yourself and your husband about why you want to home school, what you can accomplish by home schooling and the ability to provide it to him in a format he understands best.

My husband does best with data he can read and process even though many times I prefer to explain it to him. So if it was me, I'd try to provide him with bullet points that outline what I thought were the pros and cons of both options and what I thought we'd accomplish through home schooling. I know that's the approach that works best with him. I'd give him specific limited number of articles that I know would speak to his issues with home schooling. I wouldn't give him nearly the info I've delved through over the years in reading about the topic because it would just cause him to tune out.

However, you know your husband and how he processes info. So use that to your advantage in marketing home schooling to him.

Many people have misconceptions about home schooling. I know a friend of my husband's introduced me to the idea because I had never met anyone who home schooled before. I learned so much just by asking questions and I'll admit many of them were ignorant and stupid because I had no idea in the beginning how to process the idea of school at home. She helped me go further into understanding unschooling which was even further from where I was at and I found it facinating. However, I had to work through the way I had been conditioned and most adults who don't know much about home schooling have to figure their way through it.

Your husband may very well come to accept it once he understands what it is and what it isn't. That is a key component for many people who are resistant.

Dugsmom
10-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Okay this is kinda long but just thought I'd share my little list with you.
Hereís a list of what I had to do. I hope it helps. <li ="Msonormal" style="">Read, Read, Read. </span>Check out books about homeschooling from the library and take lots of notes. </span>If you really like the book, buy a copy. Look up information on the internet and ask questions on the homeschooling forums. <li ="Msonormal" style="">Check State Laws. State laws vary from state to state. Some states have extremely strict regulations while others are really lenient. Go to http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp to read about your state requirements. Some states require you to file Statement of Intent (states that intend to homeschool your child). </span>You can find samples online. We were required to send it in at least fourteen days before we started homeschooling while we were living in ND but it was way different when we moved to Texas...not very many rules in Texas so I really didn't have to do anything (but I sent a certified letter of intent anyway. It's always best to send a certified letter to the superintendent, just in case).
<li ="Msonormal" style="">Call the District office and ask questions.
If you didnít understand some of the stateís requirements, now is the
time to ask. Ask them to send you a copy of the curriculum for your
childís grade. Donít take no for an answer. Or you can get a copy from
the school districtís website. You can also get a copy of a general
curriculum at the Worldbook website. Go to http://www.worldbook.com (http://www.worldbook.com/),
click on typical course of study, and select a grade level. I preferred
the curriculum issued by my state because itís what the teachers are
required to follow. <li ="Msonormal" style="">Join a Support Group. </span>Homeschool
Support groups offer a wealth of information. They share resources,
ideas, help you choose a curriculum and explain state laws. Go to http://www.hslda.org/orgs/default.asp,
and click on your state to find a support group in your area. If there
isnít one listed, you can always get a list from your library, church,
local school district homeschooling liaison, or from other
homeschoolers. <li ="Msonormal" style="">Choose an educational method.
There are many different homeschooling methods. Read about each one and
pick the method you like best. You can read about the different
educational methods here: http://www.homeschoollearning.com/approaches/<li ="Msonormal" style="">Choose a curriculum. </span>This
is where your support group can help. There are literally hundreds and
hundreds of curriculums to choose from which can be overwhelming. You
can read reviews here: <a href="http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/" target="_blank">http://www.homeschoolreviews.com
</a><li ="Msonormal" style="">Set up a Schedule. There a lot of samples online.
<li ="Msonormal" style="">Keep Good Records. Be sure to keep really good records of your childís homeschooling years. Be sure to write the date on everything. </span>You need to decide on what type of record system you plan on using. Here is a list of record keeping systems you could use: Daily planner: write down what you plan on doing for the week (or month) and check off as you complete each assignment. Journal: keep a log of everything you did. Computer program record system or you can find free </span>record keeping forms online Notebook record keeping: This is the system I used this past year and I really liked it. What I did was I bought a small personal notebook (7 x 5 in). </span>I
wrote down everything I planned on doing for the week and underlined
each subject as we completed it. Donít forget to write down the date.
Hereís a sample of one of my daily lesson plans: 5-30-07 Music- Piano practice Math- Multiplication word problems page 59 in Math Book. Play wacky ones multiplication game History- Discuss the 3 Branches of Government.
Language Arts Improving paragraphs pg 226 in English and Language Arts book. Ask Duglas to write his own paragraph. Story Time- The Magic Tree House Spelling Ė Spelling words with ar. Go over words and look up meaning in dictionary. Write words 3x each Speech- R flashcards and R memory game Gym- swimming Portfolios-It
is important that you keep a portfolio. Purchase a big binder and
dividers. Label the dividers according to subject. Whenever your child
finishes an assignment (make sure your child puts a date on his/her
work), or takes a test, put it in the binder. Make sure everything is
in chronological order.
You've still got plenty of time to convince your hubby. Maybe you can try it out the summer (maybe for a month) before your child starts school and see how that goes. Two of my friends did that and decided that it wasn't for them. I,personally, love it.
As for choosing a curriculum, there are tons to choose from. It's all very overwhelming so it's awesome that you are starting to research homeschooling now. I am using Time4learning.com. My son loves it and so do I and best of all it's only $20 a month.
Another option for you so that you can actually enroll your child in school as a walk-in student. Back in ND, my son was allowed to participate in all the extracurricular activities (which we didn't get to do since we were out of town most of the time). Some states allow walk-ins and others don't. We are now in Texas and they don't allow homeschoolers to participate in an extracurricular activities at the school but they did give my son an allowance ($1,800) for Speech Therapy. In order to find out if your school provides any walk-in services, call the main office. They are the ones who can help you and give you the info you need.I try to follow a schedule but sometimes things come up and our whole schedule changes. This year we changed things a bit...we start class at 8:30 and I give him a few (5 minutes) to read the headline news (on his computer...it's something he likes to do to prepare for the day). Then we start our Math lesson. I don't have a time limit...I don't like to rush him so we move on to the next subject when he's done with the lesson I assigned.
After math, we work on LA. Sometimes we do online work (time4learning is an online program) and other days we work on handwritten assignments such as writing an essay or we play a fun LA game that we made up.
We also practice our spelling words everyday...he uses the time4learing spelling lessons to practice his wordsAfter Spelling we take a 10-15 minute breakAfter our break, we work on SS (Tues and Thursdays is American History and on Mon and Wed, we work on Geography). We read the online book, work on worksheets, work on workbooks, play SS games (mostly trivia), watch documentaries, etc. I try to mix it up a bit so that he doesn't get boredOn Mondays, Wed, and Fri., we have Science. We mostly read the lessons and do science experiments, watch documentaries, or play Science trivia gamesAt the end of the day, he practices his piano and guitar.
He also goes to Speech Therapy at the local school and during the week we go over the list of words his Speech Therapist assigned for the week.
another thing we do every now and then is we participate in the YMCA homeschoolers PE classes. It's $35 a month and classes are held twice a week for an 1 1/2 a day.
We are done with our lessons by 11:30 then we have lunch. I give him an hour break to play and then after lunch he practices his piano and guitar. So we are completely done with everything by 1:30.It is lots of fun but it's also a lot of work. And you give up a lot of your "me" time. I don't remember the last time I went to the grocery store alone...it's been ages since I've gone clothing shopping alone (and it's not fun when you've got an 11 year old boy complaining that he's bored) . We are basically together 24 hours a day (except for the 30 minutes when he's in Speech Therapy or the hour of piano and guitar lessons) but at the same time, it's great to be able to teach your child , and spend quality time with him. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your homeschooling experience as much as I've enjoyed mine.

Jessica