WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

g*mom*of*3
09-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Just wondering....i have a 16 month old in my care and didn't know if that was too soon to start teaching him colors and giving him coloring pages to scribble on?? It's been awhile since my own kiddos were that little and I don't remember when I started doing those types of things with them.

hrama
09-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't run a daycare but I have a 16 month old daughter and I just started giving her crayons to scribble on paper and am telling her what color she is using. I am sure she isn't getting what colors they are but she seems to enjoy scribbling on paper. She does like to put the crayons in her mouth, but is learning not to do that. Hope that helps!

garnetgirl
09-05-2008, 07:19 AM
I've used preschool curriculums with my daycare kids in the past, and started around 2 1/2. It really depends on the child, though. Some are able to start younger than others. I have a 21 month old little girl I'm keeping right now, and she is nowhere near ready to do anything with paper. She's just beginning to learn thenames of body parts, and that's going very slowly. But, she was a premie, too.

Myoldest son was very smart early on & I started working with him at about 1 1/2. He was also an early talker, so that made it much easier to communicate with him. Hewas putting words together and using sentences by 14 months.
HTH