WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : No dedicated playroom??

garnetgirl
08-20-2008, 06:29 AM
I've done daycare for about 10 years, but where I lived before, I could have 5 kids without needing a license, so I was always exempt. Now, I can only keep 2, which is what I have. I don't plan on doing this forever, so I really didn't want to go through the whole licensing process, but now both of my families are expecting, and I'm not ready to turn them away. So, I guess I need to get a license. My question though, I don't have an actual playroom. The little ones nap in my boys' bedrooms or in my room, and I have a extra wide, L-shaped hallway, which is where I keep the toys. I use my hallway linen closet to hold craft items & toys that contain lots of pieces or things that the kids need help playing with. There is plenty of space for them to play in the hallway & I allow them to play in the living room as well.
But, to get a license, do I have to have a separate daycare room or would this suffice? I already have a fenced yard & a wired fire alarm, and my house has 4 exits. I don't know of any other licensed daycares in my neighborhood.

I'm just concerned about not having a dedicated daycare room. I tried to, but my boys just cannot share a bedroom. They fight like cats & dogs. When I bought this house, I had planned on my kids sharing a bedroom and the other would be my playroom. Unfortunately, it just didn't work that way.

Thanks

TiffanyM
08-20-2008, 02:48 PM
In IL you don't have to have a separate room at all. I've seen many other providers that use either great rooms or "extra" space off of other main rooms in their houses. I don't see how it would be a problem as long as it is adequate room for the kids to play.

I also use my daughters rooms for napping. We lay out cots on the floor and that is the sleeping area for children over 20 months.

Don't be to intimidated by the licensing process. Each state is different but I know my experience was nothing like I expected, it was rather simple actually.

Danniet
08-22-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure about your state but I agree with Tiffany. I don't see why it would be a problem. If I had to have a seperate playroom I would be up a creek. In fact I have a pretty small house, my sons room doubles as a playroom and a nap room, and they nap in my room also. I use the whole house(upper level) for daycare.

myjadie
09-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Check with your state regulations. Every state is different. I'm in the process of applying for license in MO and it IS complicated.smileys/smiley5.gif Although I will be able to keep 10 unrelated kids. So financially will be worth it.