WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : We now have a quota

jrichardson
12-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Did anyone else get the letter from home ofice? I got a letter today, on the back it shows that as of Jan 1, any new consultant who doesn't place at least a $300 order in thier first 3 months, will be dropped, and any current consultant who doesn't place a $300 order in 3 months will show inactive, and will not be able to reactivate without a $300 order?
Thoughts?

NStatler
12-25-2007, 11:45 AM
I haven't gotten the letter yet, but I have heard some discussion on this topic. I think it is a good idea. There aren't alot of direct sales companies out there that don't have a quota. Having a quota eliminates alot of the "kit-nappers" and the ones who will sign up to buy and sell to their friends and families at a discount - the ones that kind of ruin the parties for the consultants who are trying to work this as a business.
Just my 2 cents.

jrichardson
12-25-2007, 04:54 PM
I think it is good in some ways, but I take the summer off. So from May to August I don't sell, because of kid activities etc. This is bad for me personally because if I want to update my kit, I have to order $300 to become active again, instead of just ordering some stuff. It was one of the reasons I joined, no quota. That was one of the selling points I had with the recruits, I just didn't want to be told that I had to sell a certain amount to be considered active, and stay in the loop. Kind of sorry to see it happen. It eliminates the hobby consultant that was offered when I joined 7 years ago.

mytwosons1966
12-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I am sorry but I do not agree with this. This just conferms my decision to not pay my dues in july. First they get rid of the hand made pottery,then we have to have a 200 dollar party to get a new catalog and now this. I belong to three other direct sales company and none of them have a quota. Yes, if you sell more you make more but to tell you that you have to sell an amount is not for me.

Rosalee
12-26-2007, 03:53 PM
I wonder if what Home & Garden Party isn't trying to do here- is to also help give designers a "Moral Booster" as well- I've known about this since October & haven't said anything because I wasn't sure what H & GP was going to do just yet. I Look at it this was - as long as you have $300 a month in sales, that's a good thing- it should give you an incentive to reach your next $300 and so on down the line. Maybe you could also email your thoughts on this to the Home & Garden Party office & see what they think. I really would like to see Home & Garden Party bring back more of the traditional pottery- like the fruit, etc rather than go so much the other way- I just Love the Traditional pottery line & I know that there are a lot of people out there who do love it.

Rosalee Decker
Home & Garden Party
http://www.homeandgardenparty.com/Home?webid=Rosaleedecker
1-360-458-5680
This is the Day that the Lord has made;we shall rejoice & be glad in it

jrichardson
12-26-2007, 05:59 PM
I agree with mytwosons1966, I am resigning as a designer now, rather than renew. The no quota part was huge for me, and I am starting to get disappointed with the products. I love the framed art, but the candles aren't as good as they used to be, and the pottery is a huge dissapointment, especially with the recent stuff coming from China containing lead, and our pottery comes from there. I was able to do good when I could promote that it was made in texas.
I also agree that I shouldn't have to order a whole pack of catalogs just to see what is new. That was nice to get a copy of the catalog when it came out. I have no idea what came out, with out going to the website, because I didn't have $200 in sales to get one in the mail. It makes me personally feel like now I am being told this is how I have to run my business in order to get support.
Sorry, not trying to be mean, just a little upset with the recent changes. I still like my upline and I do wish anyone who sells it much success, it just isn't a good fit for me anymore.

HGPLynnE
12-27-2007, 11:18 AM
HGP is a business. It is also a labor of love for Steve and Penny and if you ever had achance to meet them you would knowhow each decision to make a chance doesn't come litely.

How would you feel if you sent out mailings to alot of people who never ordered? Sent $150 - $200 in free product to someone who never repaid any of it.

I have been with them since 1998 and although it was nice to know that I didn't have a quota, I also knew that I wasn't making any money either if I didn't have sales.

I would have loved for the pottery to still be manufactured here, but would you have had customers willing to pay $30 for a coffee mug? They don't make these decision lightly. It took about 18 months of lose leadings on the pottery to make a hard decision to move it overseas. Yes it comes from China but there are individuals from the Home Office on-site at the plant where the items are made to make sure of the quality. This is why you will sometimes see them remove items that no longer meet their standards pulled from the catalog.

Jrichardson - did you ask your upline to see a copy of the catalog? I did this for a consultant who hadn't been active for the past year, because she is debating what she wants to do.

For those of you who are leaving I wish you nothing but the best and future success.

jrichardson
12-27-2007, 12:11 PM
I didn't ask my upline for a copy of the catalog. For the last seven years I have recieved one every June and December. I had assumed that this was what I got for paying my renewal every year. (I don't get any other mailings, party news and everything else is on the web),
That is okay though, like I said my heart isn't in it anymore. :(

Still love the framed art. :)

NStatler
12-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Lynn is right - HGP is a business, and a labor of love for Steve and Penny. How many of you have met them personally? I have, and I consider myself to be a very skeptical person. I have never met anyone else more genuine than Steve and Penny - let me tell ya, they walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

As for the business aspect. Every decision they have made, as Lynn pointed out, like moving the pottery production to China, was and has been a difficult one - they did alot of soul-searching.They finally decided to move the production, because they didn't think our customers would pay $30 for a salt and pepper shaker and we would lose our business; and they decided to put some HGP people over there on site to monitor situations - so we don't have sweat shop situations, etc. Do you think they sit around all day thinking, "Gee, I wonder what we can do to ruin their day today?!"

Some people chose to work HGP either part-time or full-time, and that's OK. I worked my business very full-time up until this fall when I had some personal issues. HGP is OK with that - they know we have a life outside of HGP. They aren't telling us to drop everything and do HGP full-time. So, don't even think of saying that this is no longer a God first, family second, career third company! Have you ever heard the testimonies of Steve and Penny, John Kiple, or Tina Kane? Like I say, I am a very skeptical person by nature, and these people have had me moved to tears.

mytwosons1966
12-29-2007, 03:20 PM
smileys/smiley1.gifEdited by: mytwosons1966

HGPLynnE
12-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Mytwosons1966

If my team wants to have sales and make money and that is their goal then I guess I would be one of those that would be happy because I also make money, but to be honest, I want my team members to achieve their goals because that is what they want and personally I am satisfied with that.

I learned along time ago that I can wish my team to have sales, but I can'tdo it for them.

mluckduck8
12-30-2007, 10:38 AM
I am lookign at this company. Some of the comments here are making me wonder. Also I saw a mention of dues. Could someone tell me about that.

Rosalee
12-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Once you join as a Designer and are with Home & Garden Party for a full year, rather than have to buy another kit, Home & Garden Party has designed it so that you only have to pay a renewal fee- to continue with the Company.
Personally, I ,myself Love Home & Garden Party & our Designers & staff. Steve & Penny are wonderful & Ifind the Designers helpful & supporting of each other. And God, family & career come firstwith me as always. And I have to agree with Lynn here as far as team efforts go- every one has goals to meet regardless of whether it's work, home, etc
Realistically speaking-(I hope I spelled that right) I don't think it's to much to ask that you meet $300 in sales every 3 months and remember to that Home & Garden Party isn't just about sales & selling, but about our Hostesses, customers & relationships that last a lifetime!!
Rosalee Decker
Home & Garden Party
1-360-458-5680

McKinneyJafra4u
01-10-2008, 08:45 PM
I love HGP. BTW, with Tupperware you also have to have at least $250 in sales every 3 months, or you go inactive and have to pay $10 to reactivate. That's just the way it is. It is a business. It is so easy to sell our products, just show our catalogs, or send the website link to everyone and voila!! orders! They ship everything for us. How easy is that!?? Also, I can tell my customers there is no extra shipping charge so they save money there. I can't think of another direct sales company offering home decor that doesn't charge shipping to their customers (and I know the cost is built into the price, but you get the drift)

SLAHStyle
01-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Don't panic ladies, it's not that big of a deal. With SHS, you have to submit one $200 party every4 months. The only ones that don't have actual party or sales quotas that I know ofare SLAH and TOHE, but both of those have renewal fees. HGP is right in line with all the other companies and offer other perks so it's going to be ok! http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

Rosalee
01-11-2008, 02:03 PM
You bet it is!! Thank you for your support!

Rosalee Decker
Home & Garden Party
1-360-458-5680

RachelP
01-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I am going to chime in and agree... quotas are something that most companies do and it is a good thing ... Home Interiors has quotas of $150.00 every 120 days --- we just don't have to pay dues to stay active, just make sure we have our wholesale and we are good forever. :-)

Rachel

kathyg
01-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi Ladies,
I have been a designer for over 5 years. Honestly, I have never worried about quotas, as I personaly like to stay active and build. Now on the flip side, for a seasonal Designer who just wants to earn a little extra cash on a very part time basis, the $300sales within a three month period is so minimal. It's basically one small party.
Where else could you go to work only 4 times in a Year and still reap all the super benefits and be backed by company with such good standing.
Nothing to be concerned about at all

Happy Partying!
Kathy Gullstrand

NStatler
01-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree with you, Kathy! And thank you all for your input.

I have been with HGP for 5 years now, and there have been years that I have consistently done at least $2000 a month in sales, and there have been years that it has been much less than that - it all depends on what is going on in my LIFE. That is the beauty about HGP, they know we have a LIFE outside of HGP!

kocho
01-22-2008, 05:01 PM
I see both sides of the issue here. I've been with HGP about 5 years myself now. One thing I worry about is the sponsoring issue. "No quotas" is a great selling point when sponsoring. I hate to lose that edge.

Also, I took off about 6 months when my daughter had open heart surgery. It was awesome being able to do that without worrying about it being a problem with my job.

I know my group is smaller then it has been since I started and I hate to see it get worse.

fiveftmama
01-22-2008, 05:07 PM
I also think the new Party Connect will help with this. You can set yourself up as a hostess, contact all your email buddies and wha-la, you have a $300 party. Plus you can add any personal orders you have to it.
I wish us all continued success in our HGP businesses!
Blessings,
Kimberly Jenkins

Rosalee
01-22-2008, 10:10 PM
I really like the Party Connect idea!! I think that it will work great!!
Rosalee Decker
Home & Garden Party
http://www.homeandgardenparty.com/Home?webid=Rosie
Rosalee832@hotmail.com

brandenc
01-25-2008, 06:24 PM
I personally don't like the quota. Just because in my area money is really tight now and no one is purchasing anything.

I would rather not have a quota to have to deal with. I have a quota with PC and its 200 ever 2 months, which i have been inactive for 5 months now because no one around here has money to purchase things right now.

So for most of my customers, i have decided to let them pay for there merchandise when I deliver it and it has seemed to help me with that, but its still hard sometimes to get people to order.

NStatler
01-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Branden,
Money is tight in my area, also and my business has come to a screeching crawl because of it, but $300 a quarter at least is doable. Like you mentioned, if you can pay for the items up front and sell cash and carry - that helps - like purchasing candles to sell. Fundraisers have also helped my business out quite a bit. Hopefully this terrible economy won't last, and we will all be back up on our feet!

Although the quota isn't convenient for some at this time, Home and Garden Party is a business and I understand why they are doing this.Edited by: NStatler

mytwosons1966
01-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I just wonder if they are enforcing it because their profits are down. When people do not sell much the company does not make money either. If that is the case they should say, sales have been down lately. I know with my watkins that is what they did but they still did not enforce a quota, same with my shaklee. But these two busines are selling items that people use every day and with home and garden it is stuff that is sitting around until a person decides to redecorate or just starting out in a new home,etc.

Does home and garden sell in canada and over seas??? My other companys that I am with do and that helps alot with their sales.

NStatler
01-26-2008, 06:07 PM
No, they do not presently sell in Canada or oversees. I wouldn't be assuming that just because of this move that profits are down, that isn't the case. Home and Garden Party does sell some consumable items - candles and food. Sales both in fundraisers and parties company wide are quite successful.

Rosalee
01-26-2008, 09:56 PM
I agree with you Nora, I have my own stoneware I use everyday & Love it!!

Rosie Decker
Home & Garden party
http://www.homeandgardenparty.com/Home?webid=Rosie

tnspagirl
02-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Hi...I am a formal HGP Diamond Designer...I just loved this company. I am shocked to hear that the pottery is manufactured in China...It is very dissapointing. I am here because I don't remember the 5 "rules" of the auction game...I just loved that and so did the women at my parties. I always used a payday candy bar for my 3rd auction gift...when I pulled it out of the bag they would laugh and I would tell them today is my payday and yours too...enjoy this payday candybar and either Free shipping or no tax on their order...Since the auction is after the sales, etc...I would just refund them! Thought I would just share that!

If someone could PM me the Auction Rules I would appreciate it...I only remember a few...I know when I told them they would laugh and get a kick out of it...
Thanks,
Felicia

NStatler
02-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Hi Felicia -

Nice to "meet" you! The decision to move pottery production to China was a very difficult decision for Penny and Steve, but they have placed a team over there to ensure of ethical working conditions, quality control, etc.

As for rules to the auction game - I use "no sharing/pooling of the money", "keep your amount a secret", "once you bid on an item and win it, you have to forfeit the rest of your money - because we want everyone to have a chance for a prize" - I call this one Kindergarten rules - gets a chuckle, "you have to keep track of your money, money that is left laying around is fair game/can be stolen" and "NO WHINING - that's why this is my job and I enjoy it, I have enough of whining kids at home!"

As for shipping - there is no shipping anymore! The payday idea is cute! For my third auction gift, I always use a big Hersheys bar that I've wrapped in paper that says "PMS Chocolate Bar - not for when you WANT it, but for when you really NEED it - (in fine print) not responsible if ingested by a man" Always gets a laugh. I've forgotten the PMS bar a few times, and I've always had people disappointed, in fact hostesses will request it!!

RachelP
02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Ha, I like the auction idea. I may have to borrow it. LOL.

Rachel