WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

RitaW
11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Hello everyone,

I have been working at home for approximately 8 years as a radiology transcriptionist. I am so burned out. My income has steadily decreased over the past several years from our main office adopting voice recognition programs. My income has fallen from a high of almost 65,000 with full benefits (which is great considering this is an at-home position) to a low of about $34,000. I am a single parent of two kids and I need to make more money. I picked up a PTmt job to supplement my income but at .09 a line I ammaking on average $9 per hour...totally sucks.

I am seriously considering taking the course from CareerStep for coding. Can anyone tell me that they have used CareerStep and found a job?? were happy with the training?

Also, are there any MT who have switched to coding who make more money in coding?? (please tell me yes! LOL)

I am so desperate that I will even consider going to work in an office. After 8 years at home I am ready to be near some adults.

Thanks for any feedback.

Rita

ut_mom
11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Rita- Welcome! I haven't done transcrption before but with your medical terminology and knowledge of anatomy I am sure it will come easy for you. I don't have experience with Career Step but I have a friend who has with great sucess.

I don't know if that helps but let me know if you have more questions.

RitaW
11-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks Samantha. has your friend finished their program? was she able to fined a job fairly easily? Thanks again.

Rita

Homegirl
11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
I suggest Googling "online medical transcription schools" and see who is also offering coding/billing and then look into all the programs to see which is the best and most cost effective training.

Coding is not difficult. An MT can pick it up quickly. I know that MT Advantage Career Center is offering coding classes now.

Good luck to you.

Homegirl
luv2workathome@comcast.net

Edited by: Homegirl

ut_mom
11-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Rita my friend finished her program and recieved her certification. She was also able to find a job in her area at an office.

Homegirl- I work from home too and love it!

mascotoc
12-20-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi Rita,

How many lines you do now? I might be able to help you with the radiology transcription if you can get more work... PM me so that we discuss it further.

mtokie
01-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi Rita,

I am also a burned out MT who is going to try to transition into coding. I am taking the Career Step course through Everett Community College. IT is the same course that Career Step offers, but it has some supplementation to it. I like it, and I am enjoying it. I decided to the CS course through Everett because financial aid will pay for it, as I too am a one income family.

Kelly

browneyedamby
02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I understand you may be burned out on transcription work. But I am burned out on call center work. I am finishing up a medical transcription course. Everyone that has a job posting wants 1 year exp. How do you get 1 year exp if you havn't had a chance to do it? Could you please tell me how to get my foot in the door and where to go from here?

sonshyne04
02-11-2008, 08:39 AM
I am also a burned out MT. I would like to also do coding, what schools do you recommend? How long are the courses? I have done CS also, it can be stressful as well. I want to find a happy medium. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

sonshyne04
02-11-2008, 08:43 AM
I have worked in oncology/hematology for the past 8.5 years. It can be depressing at times. I see some of the schools listed I will check it out. I feel your pain RitaW. I too have taken a drastic reduction in income as well.

sonshyne04
02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I have worked in oncology/hematology for the past 8.5 years. It can be depressing at times. I see some of the schools listed I will check it out. I feel your pain RitaW. I too have taken a drastic reduction in income as well.

poofu02
02-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi, I work at Minot State University - Bottineau and we offer an online Medical Coding Diploma. We are an accredited school and financial aid is available for this program. Here is a link to the program page:
http://www.misu-b.nodak.edu/OnlineCampus/onlineprograms/dip_medicalcoding.html (http://www.misu-b.nodak.edu/OnlineCampus/onlineprograms/dip_medicalcoding.html)

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

hannahsmommy23
03-06-2008, 07:48 AM
WOW! im taking MT right now at a local college and I hope that I can find a job, I wouldnt have took it if I knew that there was such a decline in work!! ....feeling discouraged now.....http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley6.gifi just invested 1500 bucks with a promise of 15 an hour to start full time.. I just hope it works, if not then can you do coding from home??? Need advice for something to fall back on if this falls thru!!

hannahsmommy23
03-06-2008, 07:49 AM
WOW! im taking MT right now at a local college and I hope that I can find a job, I wouldnt have took it if I knew that there was such a decline in work!! ....feeling discouraged now.....http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley6.gifi just invested 1500 bucks with a promise of 15 an hour to start full time.. I just hope it works, if not then can you do coding from home??? Need advice for something to fall back on if this falls thru!!

papaw5
03-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi Rita
I completed a course in MT and got certifate in 2004 would love to work from home but you have to have experience and that I don't have. Maybe you can give me some advise on how to get started.

papaw5

MTHome
03-20-2008, 04:53 PM
WOW! im taking MT right now at a local college and I hope that I can find a job, I wouldnt have took it if I knew that there was such a decline in work!! ....

There are plenty of MT jobs available. Check out the jobs here: http://www.mtjobs.com/

There is actually a shortage of MTs.

Many of the MT companies will hire new MTs who graduated from certain schools, like Andrews, M-Tec, and CS. They'll overlook the 2-year work experience requirement for those grads.

ChocolateGal
04-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Rita,

Afriend of mine is a MT in the evening and weekends, after her day job at another company. She really likes the work and hopes to make it full time.

Best of luck to you!

Robin

jarajan44
08-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I am an MT and transitioning into coding. I find it very difficult. It is much more complex than I thought. Are there any coders on here who went through this but made it? Has anyone taken any of the coder exams? CCS or CCP? Thanks.

UNC mom 35510
08-07-2008, 02:21 PM
I have my CCS. Good luck!! I am sure you will do great with it. http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

TheresaQ
08-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi Rita. I am also in your shoes, but I only did it for 3 years and wasn't profitable at your level. I just didn't feel I could keep it up with all the noise my boys were making so went back to school for my M.Ed. but I'm marking my place in this thread to see how those who have transitioned to coding have liked it. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I don't know much about the CS coding program. I went to M-TEC and they don't offer coding as of right now as far as I know. Someone mentioned that I try scoping, but I am not sure about that. My youngest will be in school starting next year anyhow.

rlabelson
08-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Wow, there is so much great information here. I am looking into either mt or coding but can't deicde which. I am a military wife and want ao job to work from home so I can take it with me when I move or visit family while hubby is deployed. Which is better for working from home?

Navywife422
11-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Rlabelson,

You best bet would be transcription. For coding, you have to have a few years experience before any company will hire you to do that at home. Also, there aren't many coding companies right now that hire at home. I have done both and right now I am doing medical transcription. Coding is where the money is if you want to work outside the home.