WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Help Me Un-Hate Housework!

FV Mom
09-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey there, all you organizational guru's! I am desperately in need of help. I am extremely disciplined in some areas (grocery shopping, working our budget, fitness, raising my kids, etc.) but when it comes to house cleaning, well....I just hate ithttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley9.gifI don't WANT to hate it! I want to be like my Sisters In Law who's houses are spotless all the time. I love the "idea" of a super spotless home, I just haven't actually gotten that part figured out yet.http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gifSo PLEASE help me. How can I change my mindset to enjoy cleaning so it's not such a "chore?" I mean I literally get this inner 2 year old temper tantrum going on whe it comes time to clean. I know I need to do it and love the end result, but the actual "work involved is just NO FUN! I mean I can hear clear as day "I don't wanna!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif" in my brain when I think about cleaning. So please, if you can help me save money on counselling by sharing what works for you, I would be so very greatfulhttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif

IBO2004
09-20-2007, 06:55 AM
I still hate it too, and would also love to have a spotless home, but hasn't happened yet, lol. So far the only thing that has helped me "move" at all, is listening to upbeat music. I know that sounds simple, but I've noticed that every time I put music on before I start cleaning, I tend to work faster, and get much more done than I had originally planned. I still love the 80's music, so I put it on the 80's cable channel in my living room, and that really helps me knock out that room and the kitchen and 1 bathroom since I can hear it really well. However, I am in desperate need of organization throughout the entire house lol. I hope someone else can come on here and "show us the way". LOL!!

maureenkellis
09-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Kassandra,

What do you hate most- organizing and dealing with the clutter or the actual cleaning? I find that the cleaning is quick and easy if there isn't any clutter in the way.

Cleaning and organizing are two different animals. I actually like cleaning, but hate picking up other people's clutter (namely my very messie husband and 4 somewhat messy sons).

What helps me get going-

-I hate doing it by myself- so we try to work as a team.

-I'll put on business training cd's while I'm folding that never ending giant pile of laundry. That way- I'm not alone and I kill 2 birds with one stone.

-When I talk on the phone with a friend, I start cleaning. I just can't sit still and talk on the phone. (Did you ever notice that I alwaysdo the dishes when we're on the phone?)

-Invite people over!!! Nothin' gets us motivated more than that.

Instead of focusing on how much you hate cleaning, focus on the end result- how much you love that clean looking, clean smelling house. Envision it, wrap your mind around it.

Listen, if you can get through bootcamp, you can conquer this adversion.

Maureen :-)

FV Mom
09-22-2007, 08:33 AM
I think it's a combination of the organization part and having such a small space. We're looking into getting a house within a year so that'll be good. I'm checking out the flylady site to get some organization tips. I think if everything had a place (and everyONE not just ME put things in their place) I could keep this place looking like I want it. See, I may just have to get militant on these people around heresmileys/smiley36.gif

maureenkellis
09-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Getting everyone to put things in their place is the key. It's not always a bigger place solution. We've moved into progressivly bigger quarters, and the tendency for mess has followed us. Oh we can keep it neat for a while, but then everyone starts slipping back. Today I played "Drill Sargeant Mom" then I handed that over to Dad. We got everthing clean except for the boys' room.

Before everyone thinks I'm strange for liking cleaning, what I like is the instant and wonderful result.

One book I recommend isRestoring Order by Vickie Norris. It delves into the reasons behind the mess. It was very good. Also - The Messie's Manual by Sandra Felton. This may have been renamed. Also anything by Emilie Barnes is very inspiring and practical. These are all Christian author's by the way.

I'm organizing an "Organize Your Life" Book Club/Support Group on ShoutLife! We're covering Making Your Home a Haven by Cyndy Salzmann. Cyndy has agreed to stop in from time to time to give us all some practical help/guidence. Let me know if you want the link.

Maureen :-)Edited by: maureenkellis

firstmate
09-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Tackle one thing at at time--once you get one area cleaned, you might find yourself motivated to take on another area.

cindi8d
09-23-2007, 09:02 PM
I also HATE housework.

If I can just make myself do it for 10 minutes, I can get a lot done...and normally I want to finish whatever I was working on. Maybe have 2 10-minute timeslots in each day that you spend doing housework. :)

cindi

Ashleigh02
09-28-2007, 01:09 PM
I listen to music. Okay listen is an understatement, I BLAST music. Something upbeat and awesome, it gets me in the mood to do something. So I clean.

I actually went and starting to look up "clean house" images on google to give me motivation.

Good luck!

FV Mom
09-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Ladies all your advice rocks! I'm happy to report that my apartment is spic and span and organized!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley10.gifWell, all except the girl's room, go figuresmileys/smiley36.gif I decided you know what? I'm disciplined in other areas of my life. I'm discipline with my job, my weight loss, eating, and exercise, why not this? I found no reason why not so I just did it! I broke it down into 3 sections: Living Room, Dining Room (not really a big dining room, just basically table and chairs) and Kitchen, Bedrooms & Bathroom, Closets. I was able to deep clean everything this week, now all I have to do is be consistant with this schedule. I think I can do it! Thanks for your help everyone!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

SAHMof2
09-29-2007, 05:40 PM
Here are some tips that helped me

Kids room - If they are old enough to mess up they are old enough to clean up

Take pictures of all your kids toys, ect in the room and post the picture where you want the items to go. That way when your kids clean up they know exactly where to put things without having to remember.

Laundry - I hate doing laundry but found that if I seperate everything in catagories (kids clothes, towels, hubby clothes, my clothes) then I don't hate it as bad.
Keep a laundry basket in every room of the house that is nessasary.

dishes -this is one of the worse jobs I hate. But if you have a dish washer load during the day,wash at night, empty in the morning.

wmom
11-13-2007, 09:25 AM
I always turn music on when I am cleaning, it helps to get it done quicker and I dont think about the time spent as much. My girl enjoys it too and will dance along in her play yard while I clean, so we sing (I sing, she babbles) when its on and it works outpretty good.

Sometimes I will either work one full room at a time, or a certain task with all the rooms (get better exercise this way too). Really depends on how you want to work it, but the music really helps.

homefreenow
11-27-2007, 07:50 PM
I also would rather do anything else than clean my house!

But, I'm glad to find there's help!

Thanks for all the great info. - I now have some hope (and much needed motivation).

MelissaG
12-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Check out www.flylady.net (http://www.flylady.net) (I am not an affiliate), they have tons of fun ways to help you out. I still haven't gotten down yet but I check their site when I want to be inspired! Removing clutter is definitely the key.

HighEnergyMom
12-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeeeccchhhhhhhhhh housework!! Hate it myself, so many other interesting things to do, but then I absolutely hate it when the house gets the grunge. Lots of great ideas on this thread to help you too. I find that blasting some music I love (something upbeat and pumpin'), turning on enough lights to see what you are doing helps too. Anyway, my biggest quest right now is getting rid of stuff that is not useful, we really don't need and really aren't going to use or just gotten so old it's gotta go. And wow is that hard to do, but that helps as well. But really, nothing gets me as motivated as knowing someone is coming over....that's the real kick I need to move it.

HighEnergyMom
12-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Yeeeccchhhhhhhhhh housework!! Hate it myself, so many other interesting things to do, but then I absolutely hate it when the house gets the grunge. Lots of great ideas on this thread to help you too. I find that blasting some music I love (something upbeat and pumpin'), turning on enough lights to see what you are doing helps too. Anyway, my biggest quest right now is getting rid of stuff that is not useful, we really don't need and really aren't going to use or just gotten so old it's gotta go. And wow is that hard to do, but that helps as well. But really, nothing gets me as motivated as knowing someone is coming over....that's the real kick I need to turn me into Suzie Homemaker -- for the time being anyway.

margiewoo
12-17-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm not a huge fan of housework either but the alternate -- a messy house -- is even more unbearable. Usually everything piles up until I can't take it anymore, then I take an afternoon to get the Feng Shui energy flowing again...

Chief
12-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Don't do it all at once the same day, rather by areas of the house, and different days of the week. You'll perceive this way is less burdensome. Listening to your favorite music will help you go through the task easier too.