WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : dt ladies

dancingqn539
09-01-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm thinking about starting my business up again. I've tried twice before and just had no luck. I am now in an area where the closest rep is over 50 miles away. I thought that wouldbe abonus for me. Anyway, my question is... how did you start up your business? I just moved to the area and don't know many people. I want to make sure I'll at least make back the moneyI spend on the initial costs so, how did you knowthis was a good opportunity for you?

ReadingCanBeFun
09-01-2007, 04:16 PM
I am not DT, but have some suggestionshttp://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif
This time of year there are a lot of vendor/craft booths- so start looking in your paper for some. They are a great way to get your name out there, advertise, network, and get leads for home shows and recruiting.

You could also host a neighborhood party. Make up flyers with a "Hi I'm new, and would love to meet you and introduce you to Discovery Toys for the children in your life!"kind of thing. Some appetizers, desserts, etc are always a good draw http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

Make sure your website/contact info are in every email you send out, every message board post, etc. I also put my Usborne business card in every bill I send. After all- you just never know if the comed person opening my mail needs a little something different in his/her life!http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

Also- I did a workshop at our national convention last year- and one of my topics was "silent advertising". Things like a "got toys?" button, or something related to your job. The "help wanted" buttons from www.thebooster.com (http://www.thebooster.com) are great. Or something like "ask me how?" and then you can say something like " I help families get the most AMAZING educational toys...FOR FREE!!!"

Best wishes!!!!

Do-Re-Me&You!MO
09-01-2007, 04:40 PM
My first question would be how do you know the closest person is 50 miles? because if you are starting for that reason you need to be sure... I know on the DT site they only show GM and above :-( kinda missleading but jsut so you know those are the people who are doing the busiess but there could be more people by you who do it

dancingqn539
09-01-2007, 04:46 PM
My first question would be how do you know the closest person is 50 miles? because if you are starting for that reason you need to be sure... I know on the DT site they only show GM and above :-( kinda missleading but jsut so you know those are the people who are doing the busiess but there could be more people by you who do it

well, i didn't know that! so, thanks. and, no, that's not the only reason i'm thinking of doing it. i would like some extra cash, something to keep me busy, and a way to meet some new people.

Do-Re-Me&You!MO
09-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah that is why I started with them :-) I find that the more you talk the better you are... Well in Direct sales that is :-) I make sure at the store I talk to the ladies in front of my, use the web-based mommy groups, join local mom groups (such as moms club and mops) they are great ways to meet people and also great ways to find leads (no matter what you sell)

littledb
09-01-2007, 05:52 PM
I just got the new DT catalog, and they have some great fall toys. With their guarantee, it is a good time to restart.

There is a way to find out how many people are in your town, PM me for details. (I did DT for almost 6 years)

But as Dawn said, working fairs is a great way to meet people. You can also visit with places that cater towards kids and build relationships. Once reason I love Usborne is because of the book fairs and "free" leads. You can do toyraisers with DT as well.

As you build your biz, you'll get repeat customers and hostesses. Find a mentor who you can work closely with who can give you weekly "tasks" that will help you build your biz.

Best of luck!

Debbie

karenmclark
09-01-2007, 10:07 PM
Here's another quick way to get started - go door to door! The trick is only stop at houses with "kiddie litter" as in toys in the yard or carseats in the minivan! LOL Ask if they'd like to either attend or host a party, and take down their info. Then when you find someone who says yes to hosting, give them the yes-to-attending list and voila! Or host an open house yourself and invite everyone you met while canvassing your area. Good luck!

janskidtoys
09-20-2007, 06:18 AM
I started my business last year in October. Started out by doing some local holiday bazaars & met tons of people doing that. I earned my start-up kit back in the first month by doing parties for the people I met at events. smileys/smiley17.gif

Also, look into groups on meetup.com in your area. You may find some groups that you can get involved with to get your name out and about the area. I'm a member of a group in Land O Lakes, FL and have made so many connections through that. We help each other out by referrals, informing each other about local events and brainstorming ideas for our businesses together.

My best wishes for a successful business launch!

Jan :)

Agnt43
09-23-2007, 02:56 PM
When I started - I told and emailed everyone I knew about it. I signed up for local events as a vendor and got my name out there. (I still do that when I need more parties) Open houses are always a great start! Keep us posted on how it goes!