WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

mom2ashton
07-17-2007, 03:32 PM
Is there a difference between plasic and acrylic beads or is acrylic just a fancy word for plastic?

Lilah
07-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi mom2ashton,

They're the same, but acrylic sounds so much nicer smileys/smiley1.gif

PaulaG
07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
Gee-I can just see it now.

I'm talking with my husband and say "Honey I went and got a manicure today. Look at how nice my plastic nails look!"

http://www.wahm.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif You're right acrylic sounds alot better.

mom2ashton
07-18-2007, 06:06 AM
That's what I thought but before I advertise some of my jewelry as being made with acrylic beads, I wanted to make sure. You're right. I didn't want to say "This beautiful necklace is made from plastic beads."

Lazy Gardens
07-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Is there a difference between plasic and acrylic beads or is acrylic just a fancy word for plastic?

Acrylic is ONE kind of plastic ... not all plastic beads are acrylic.

mom2ashton
07-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Lazy Gardens~ How can you tell the difference? I have bought some beads that I can tell are plastic or acrylic but the packaging does not specifically say. What do I call it when I'm advertising a necklace made from them?

nancoy
07-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes, there is a difference between acrylic and plastics. They are both in the polymer family. Acrylic is a mixture of monomer and polymer. My hubby is a chemist so I will try to remember to ask him the difference.

PaulaG, you are correct in a sense. Acrylic nails are in the plastic family due to the use of the polymer powders. There is actually a nail product that has been on the market for years referred to as "liquid plastics" It is in gel form but not tradional gel form known as gel nails, which is acrylics but the monomer/polymer is premixed that needs to be applied in thin layers to build the nail up that requires a UV lamp to cure. Liquid plastics aka polyacrylics/ploycarbs are a bit different then tradional gels/acrylics due to their inverse curing process, they are non porous due to their molecular structure is larger which enables the product to be absorbed into the nail plate, oderless, light weight and very flexable. The nails actually do feel like plastic but it doesn't feel like you have anything on the nails.

btw -if you get gel nails and the nailtech dips the brush into liquid and then powder then applies topcoat to cure in to the UV lamp -they are not GEL nail, they are acrylic nails with a uv gel topcoat so basically they lied to you and charging you way more and 'solar nails' just a fancy word for acyrlic nails to get more money out of you, also if the salon has a LOUD HARSH oder you may not be aware that the salon may be using MMA which is a chemical used in the momomer/liquid, itis illegal in most states due to it's many, many documented health risk.The many who use ithave been blinded by the all mighty green dollarbecause it is way cheeper to purchase MMA liquid then to purchase EMA liquids -EMA is the legal stuff suppose to be used. A tall tale that MMA is being used of corse the LOUD HARSH smell and the price so next time you see $20.00 fullsets, you might want to askthe salon/nail techs alot of questions orremember thephrase, "what you pay is what you get."Read more:
http://www.beautyweb.com/consumer_alert_mma.htm (http://www.beautyweb.com/consumer_alert_mma.htm)