WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Suing Mannatech...please pray!

newskin
07-03-2007, 10:11 PM
We are currently in a law suit with Mannatech. I am so angry andd don't know where to turn. They import products that are not properly inspected. I also don't believe they properly train distributors to deal with people's health concerns. Anyway, my brother used the optimal skincare line and had a severe infection and burns develop on his face. Mannatech recalled the product but wouldn't tell us why. Turns out it was infected with enterobacter...a rare bacteria immune to antibiotics. It also has an 87% mortality rate. It has ruined out lives. Sorry to ramble...I just need to vent! I just think people need to choose wisely when representing a company that deals with the health and bodies of others. I just found the recall on line:

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ENFORCE/2007/ENF01006.html

PRODUCT
Mannatech Optimal Restoring Serum, 1.7 oz. (50mL), Product #20201;
Recall # F-282-7
CODE
Lot # 703182
RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER
Recalling Firm: Mannatech Incorporated, Coppell, TX, by letter on May 2/3, 2007.
Manufacturer: DPT Lakewood, Inc, Lakewood, NJ. Firm initiated recall is ongoing.
REASON
Initial shipment of product was found on stability testing to be
contaminated with Enterobacter gergoviae and Enterobacter cloacae.
VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE
7,076 bottles
DISTRIBUTION
Nationwide

RECALLS AND FIELD CORRECTIONS: FOODS AND COSMETICS - CLASS III

It is so sad what my family is going through right now. It has literally tore us apart. just be careful when taking those products!

BettyCat
07-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Best of luck with your lawsuit! I am really sorry to hear about what has happened to your family.

Did you know that the Texas State Attorney General has been investigating Mannatech? Maybe you should contact them and tell them your story. They may be able to help.

Here is an article about their investigation:
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?guid=%7B50e126ad-f88b-4070-ba5e-635ddd72b298%7D

And here is contact info for the Attorney General's Office:
http://www.oag.state.tx.us/agency/contacts.shtml (http://www.oag.state.tx.us/agency/contacts.shtml)

newskin
07-04-2007, 08:13 AM
BettyCat...thank you for the info! What a blessing!

groovygran
07-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi Newskin sorry to hear what you are going thru I dont thik we have Mannatech here.I notice your sig line talks about skin care what is it?I have just got into this company as their products have no dangerous chemicals and all certified organic.Hope things go well for you.Let us know.

JessieMae
07-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi Newskin,
Hope you have luck with your lawsiut. Hope your brother is doing better and recovers well.

I keep hearing all these reports about contaminated products and wonder why companines don't have better inspection standards. It just seems they don't care about the people they hurt. Or they are more interested in the money they can make.

Sincerely Jessiemae

lifeisgolden
07-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Did they say what kind of enterobacter it was? There are several strains in this genus. That is scary that it formed that kind of blisters. I hope your brother recovers.

BettyCat
07-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Well, I just found out that a couple of days after I replied to this post the Texas Attorney General did file suit against Mannatech.

Article about that suit:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118367724357258529.html?mod=todays_us_marketplac e (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118367724357258529.html?mod=todays_us_marketplac e)
Also, a class action lawsuit has been filed by investors:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070717/20070717006330.html?.v=1

The stock price for Mannatech has fallen 30% since the announcement by the Attorney General.

FamLiFrst
07-25-2007, 09:55 PM
WOW and WHY?

Mannatech has great products.

Christina

Cyber
07-25-2007, 10:04 PM
I heard about this lawsuit and if the claims are true I hope they win BIG.

I'm sorry about your brother.

FamLiFrst
07-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Oh my goodness, I better wear my reading glasses more often.
Very sorry about your brother and I am shocked. I have always heard only good things about this company.

Christina

Anyway, my brother used the optimal skincare line and had a severe infection and burns develop on his face. Mannatech recalled the product but wouldn't tell us why.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/ENFORCE/2007/ENF01006.html

BettyCat
07-26-2007, 07:21 AM
WOW and WHY?

Mannatech has great products.

Christina
The State Attorney General's suit against Mannatech is in addition to any claims of harm caused by tainted products. It has to do with the company and it's associates making claims that their products can "cure, mitigate, treat or prevent disease." They are not allowed to make any of those claims. In promotional materials and videos made at their national sales meetings claims were made that their products had cured, treated or prevented:
autism
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
other cancers
toxic shock syndrome
asthma
arthritis
Lou Gehrig's Disease
ADD, heart failure
lung inflammation
lung staph infections
Down syndrome
cerebral palsy
fragil-X syndrome
hemophilia
lupus
AIDS
allergies
hepatitis-C
fibromyalgia
and many others
All this from what they called "glyconutrients" which are sugar pills.

There is also a claim that their charitable organization, MannaRelief, made false claims about their aid to children and adults in other countries. And, that the Fisher Institute is a sham charity created to produce reports and papers to help support and expand the business of Mannatech and serves no other purpose. The founder of that institute was an employee with Mannatech until pressure from the FDA forced him to resign yet he has still continued to be paid by Mannatech and has never stopped his involvement with the company.

There were no scientific studies done to prove that any of the products worked in any way. There were "fake" reports created to present their products in a positive light. Customers have lost hundreds of millions of dollars on these products.

So, I am not so sure that I would be telling anyone that they have great products. Unless shams and scams are considered great products.

AnneMD
08-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the experience your family has had with Mannatech! That is awful!

I will say, though, that overall Mannatech is a great company with excellent products. Associates are NOT suppposed to be going around saying that the products will cure anything. They may have testimonies saying that the products helped their mom/sister/brother with whatever... but that is simply sharing their personal experiences. It is sad that some associates break rules and make false claims... and that causes the entire company to look bad.

As for the recall... that happens with a LOT of well-respected companies and does not indicate that a company is a scam. Fisher-Price is recalling toys right now because they have high lead content! There was salmonella in a popular peanut butter brand that led to recallsearly this year. These things happen. It is terrible when it happens. But again,that does not mean the company is a scam/unethical/etc.

Anne

Lori Moreno
08-16-2007, 05:50 AM
So sorry that you're dealing with this!

Lori Moreno

BettyCat
08-18-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about the experience your family has had with Mannatech! That is awful!

I will say, though, that overall Mannatech is a great company with excellent products. Associates are NOT suppposed to be going around saying that the products will cure anything. They may have testimonies saying that the products helped their mom/sister/brother with whatever... but that is simply sharing their personal experiences. It is sad that some associates break rules and make false claims... and that causes the entire company to look bad.

As for the recall... that happens with a LOT of well-respected companies and does not indicate that a company is a scam. Fisher-Price is recalling toys right now because they have high lead content! There was salmonella in a popular peanut butter brand that led to recallsearly this year. These things happen. It is terrible when it happens. But again,that does not mean the company is a scam/unethical/etc.

Anne

Actually, the lawsuit against them claims that the company did make those claims. It says that the company willingly promoted that their products would cure all the diseases I listed above. They included all these lies in recruitment videos. THIS CAN NOT BE BLAMED ON THE SALES PEOPLE!!! The company led these claims with their promotions and company produced videos.

Furthermore, this situation is not at all similar to toy recalls. I don't know why you are trying to make this comparison.

AnneMD
08-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Actually, a person can claim anything they want in a lawsuit. A lawsuit claim isnot a verfied statement of truth. It is simply a "claim."

You obviously are not well-educated regarding Mannatech and the policies and guidelines regarding making health claims. They are actually very strict regarding how their sales consultants advertise and promote the products. And they sayvery clearly that such claims maynot be made. And there have been sales consultants who have repeatedly been in trouble with Mannatech for making such claims. The sales aids and videos you refer to were not distributed by Manatech's corporate office... but were developed by independent sales associates.

And of course a recall byMannatechcan becompared to recalls made by other companies! I'm not sure why you say it is totally different? The product recalled by Mannatech was recalled because it was found to be tainted by a harmful substance/bacteria and could cause serious health problems. Well, that is why some toys with lead have been recalled. That is why the tainted peanut butter was recalled.Maybe you can explain why this is so different.

By the way... typing in ALL CAPS is considered yelling and israther rude in online communication. You may not have known that. If you did know that, then really, it was uncalled for.

I'm not here to fight... I just think people need to be careful about bashing a company when they "don't know what they don't know."

Anne

BettyCat
08-20-2007, 07:48 AM
The company owned and operated the website glycoscience.org which did make claims that the Texas State Attorney General found to be unlawful. If you try that site now you will find it inactive.

Furthermore, anyone who takes the time to read the complaint that is linked in the Wall Street Journal article I listed above will find further explanation of the charges. The charges claim that while there were some policies in place, they were not enforced on websites, at sales conferences, in books or dvds and in fact the company facilitated the distribution of those items. These policies were apparently not sufficient as the company had to create new ones after the news of the Attorney General's actions became public. Here is an article regarding those changes: http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070723/0281404.html And the Attorney General found that the back pages of Mannatech sites accessible to distributors had an index of diseases with testimonials for each so that distributors had easy access to treatment claims to present to potential customers.

If one continues to read the charges they will find an actual copy of the patent application filed by the company (beginning on page 52 of the pdf.) In that document (that was written by the company) there is a listing of over 60 diseases and aliments treated by the products (beginning on page 53 of the pdf.) In the column to the right of this, the results of treatment are listed. As an example the treatment results listed for "adenocarcinomas such as breast, prostate, ovarian, gastrointestinal and lung" were "elimination of metastasis and shrinkage of mass to undetectable level."

Lastly, the poorly worded final point in my last post was trying to make a distinction between the charges filed by the Attorney General and the recalled product. To my knowledge, the two situations are not related.

Edited by: BettyCat

AnneMD
08-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I do not know the details of the charges against Mannatech. I do know the Mannatech company well. Sure... there are lots of testimonials from people who have had great benefit from the Mannatech products. Just as there are testimonials from probably most of the Nutritional/skin care/etc. companies. Just as there are testimonials about all of the weight loss products out there and about the products you can go buy from your local health food store. And none of these products are FDA approved... but not being FDA approved does not make them illegal.

Mannatech has been very strong in their statements thatsales consultantssare not to present the products as a "cure" for any disease. The products have been shown to improve quality of life. I do not sell Mannatech... my husband used to. We now are simply customers. I can tell you that it has made a huge difference in MY own health... I have lupus and I have been in remission for several years now and I believe that Ambrotose has been part of what made the difference for me. I would hate to see that product become unavailable to me. That is why I have such a personal interest in not wanting a company and products that have helped me be called a scam and be bashed! And I know there are other customers out there who would feel the same way.

I don't know what your primary connection is to the company... if you were a former customer who was not satisfied with the product or what. But you do seem to have strong feelings about the company and seem ready to pronounce them "guilty" before they even have their day in court. That is too bad.

I agree there are some unscrupulous Mannatech associates who have made false claims...and I hope that that will be stopped. But knowing the actual company as intimately as I do... well, all I can say is that I will continue to support Mannatech and pray that they come out of this okay.

By the way... did you know that glyconutrients are actually listed in the PDR now? It is not just a useless "sugar pill."

BettyCat
08-22-2007, 04:01 PM
I have neither sold nor purchased any product from this company. I do not know anyone nor am I related to anyone who has sold or purchased product from this company.

My interest lies in making sure that consumers are aware of the serious issues facing this company so that they can protect themselves. My interest also lies in making sure that potential associates are aware of the serious issues facing this company so that they can make informed decisions. My interest lies in protecting people who might be buying the stock without knowledge of these serious issues.

The charges against this company are severe enough that the founder and CEO resigned from his position yesterday as reported in the Wall Street Journal http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118775074805504989.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118775074805504989.html?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo)
Yet one is right to wonder if this is merely symbolic. Mr. Caster will remain as the Chairman of the company and his replacement is the President and COO. There is not indication that this replacement will result in significant changes but may calm some worried investors.

Mr. Caster is no stranger to this type of action. Those of us in Texas are well aware of his checkered history in this state and his continuing legal troubles.

In 1991 he owned a company that sold a device that was supposed to rid houses of insects and pests by emitting vibrations. Our Attorney General did an investigation and found that the device was a complete hoax. A permanent injunction was placed against Mr. Caster and he was not allowed to continue selling the piece of junk and he was forced to stop making false claims about it's effectiveness.

A mere two years later, he was in trouble again. His company was selling insulation through the use of false claims. The claims ranged from completely falsified information about energy savings and a bogus claim that it was brand new technology developed by NASA. Our Attorney General found that the insulation had been available for over 40 years and did not provide energy savings as claimed by the company. He was forced to stop making these claims and the company declared bankruptcy shortly after.

Then a mere two years later he founded another company, Mannatech. As with companies listed above, this company also made false claims about their product. 20/20 did a story on it. The Wall Street Journal did a full page article about it. But the company squeaked through these troubles by blaming everything on the associates.

Finally, our Attorney General has been able to assemble the evidence that the company encouraged these claims through:
1. Distribution of books and DVDs,
2. Maintaining information about disease treatment on corporate websites,
3. Encouraging illegal claims made at company sponsored events,
4. Appearances of company employees in associate produced videos knowing that they made illegal claims,
5. Forwards and other contributions to books written by associates knowing that they made illegal claims,
6. Propping up a non-scientific research institute whose sole purpose was the creation of sales propaganda in the guise of academic research.

The bug repelling device and the home insulation claims fell back at Caster's feet and he was forced to stop making the completely false claims about his products. With Mannatech, the false claims continued but instead of Mr. Caster being responsible, he pushed the blame on the people who were selling his products and bringing millions of dollars to his company.

And to make matters worse, so much of this was done in the name of God. For some reason, Mr. Caster and his wife feel that their company was on a mission delivered to them by God himself. (notice the name of the company) This "Joseph company" stance was delivered in a book written by his wife called "Undeniable Destiny."

So much of this has been reported by the Wall Street Journal, ABC News, Bloomburg News, Barrons and numerous other news outlets. You can find more info by doing a search at any of those sites. Also, a lot of the information has been complied by the National Council Against Health Fraud. You can read some of that info here:
http://www.ncahf.org/articles/j-n/mannatech.html

AnneMD
08-22-2007, 05:26 PM
You have really been doing lots of research into the claims against Mannatech. Too bad you don't have a more intimate knowledge of the company, Sam Caster, or the actual products.
You know... if you google just about ANY network marketing company you will find all kinds of "dirt" on them. You would probably enjoy digging into all of that so that you can let the consumers know about ALL of the scams out there.

I don't know or care about Sam Caster's past... all I KNOW is that the products have made an amazing impact on my health, as well as the health of several of my family members! And I am as desperate to continue having access to them as you seem desparate to "warn the consumer" that Mannatech is "bad." You can find evidence to support any side of an issue. You've done a good job digging for evidence to support your opinion. I don't have to "dig" to find evidence to support mine. I only have to notice how much it helps me.

And again... I'm NOT a distributer. I'm a very satisfied customer who knows that Mannatech has a heart for people and health.

I'm done discussing this here...there is no point when I know what the products do for me personally.

BettyCat
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
The main ingredients of Ambrotose are:
arabinogalactan and Manapol

These ingredients are not exclusive to Mannatech.

They are available at many health food stores and websites.

Arabinogalactan is derived from larch trees and is available here on sale for $17.61:
http://www.herbsmd.com/shop/productdetail.asp?pid=25448

Manapol, a branded name, is derived from aloe vera and is made by Carrington Labs. This is the company that makes it for Mannatech. It is available here for $18.95:
http://www.betterlife.com/prod_home_page.asp?prod_id=7466

There are many other websites that sell these supplements. Just do a search and you will find other options.

</font></font></font>

AnneMD
08-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Carrington Labs is associated with Mannatech.

And those two ingredients are only 2 of the 8 sugars that make up Ambrotose. Taking just one would not do the job. In fact, it would probably be dangerous for someone like me with Lupus. Lupus is a condition where the immune system is actually overactive and attacks its own tissues. If I were, for example, to take arabinogalactan, it would be bad for me as it is an immune system booster. For me, the mixture of ingredients found in Ambrotose works perfectly and acts as an immune system modulator.

BettyCat
08-24-2007, 09:26 PM
ALL of the sugars (dietary supplements) are available from sources other than Mannatech. Please don't wash down the Ambrotose with Mannatech Kool-Aid.

And one final point, I have NO desire for a more "intimate knowledge" of Sam Caster. Thank you for the suggestion but I will decline.

Edited by: BettyCat

FamLiFrst
08-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I have been friends with Ray Gebauer and as the manna family knows he is going through some challenges.
If your a fighter for justice and truth, please send him positive energy.
He is a good guy.

Warmly,
Christina

pinegirl777
08-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Wow, Newskin, thank you for this information! Please feel free to post your experiences regarding thepossible dangers of this company's products on the website forum listed below:

http://www.commondanger/dangers (http://www.commondanger/dangers)

shelleyk
09-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Any news on the lawsuit? Good luck
Shelley

LisaKuhel
11-30-2007, 12:31 PM
anyone know the latest? It sounds like some major changes have taken place in the last 6 months.