WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : love this book!!!

lilmisssunshine
06-24-2007, 03:17 PM
"japanese women don't get old or fat" by naomi moriyama

i picked this up at the library yesterday because i was wanting some cookbooks. my husband is japanese and i don't like japanese food, so i've never really learned to cook anything japanese (except cup ramen. smileys/smiley2.gif )
this book seemed non-threatening and has a lot of vegetarian recipes (i'm vegetarian)

*real* japanese food is a lot different from what you get in japanese restaurants in the states. lots of vegetables. not as much rice as you might think. i personally don't like it cuz it tends to be flavored with tastes that i don't like and really, i like my vegetables to taste like they taste...with little seasoning.

anyway, this book is great because it has a lot of narrative about the way that japanese people eat without being preachy. it's making me understand a lot more about the way my husband eats/wants to eat. he's always griping that there should be 10 different types of food at every meal (e.g. a salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, and peppers would count as 5). but this book says that the typical japanese person eats 100 different things every week whereas the american person would eat 30 different things.

some highlights of the book:
*when the author came to the states for school, she quickly put on 25lbs and couldn't get it to come off even though she was exercising a lot. when she went back to japan, the weight came off effortlessly.
*japanese people use many small plates. each appetizer/main dish gets its own plate. even if you eat three helpings on the smaller plate, it's probably less than the serving you would have gotten on an american sized plate. (the amount of dish washing that needs to be done with this though is a constant fight between us. haha.)
*japanese people use chopsticks, which slows down your eating and allows you to more fully recognize when you are full.
*japanese people eat a lot of vegetable, even for breakfast. she talks about how she'll sometimes eat a salad for breakfast which reminded me of how my mother-in-law used to serve me salad for breakfast (that was pretty much the only thing she cooked that i could eat, since i'm vegetarian).

anywya, i'm only half way through the book, but i'm totally loving it!
love,
shannon

OrangeSmoke20
06-24-2007, 07:45 PM
That sounds like a great book and it totally makes sense. Thanks for sharing the info : )

angienewton
06-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Definitely sounds like aninteresting book. Thanks for sharing the fun info you learned from it.

BarbB
06-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Shannon that does sound interesting. I'm vegetarian too and can use all the recipe help I can get. I'm a junk food and processed food vegetarian with lots of weight to lose.

lilmisssunshine
06-24-2007, 09:38 PM
barb,
i also used to be a junk food and processed food vegetarian. i swear i used to think that toaster pizza, frozen pizza and delivery pizza were all different foods. haha.
love,
shannon

caitalexmommy
06-25-2007, 10:48 AM
My husband is a semi-veg as well... was raised vegetarian and since I've met him, I've fallen in love with Morningstar Products! Just wish they were cheaper. :( This book sounds great, thanks for posting! I loved the cup ramen reference lol.