WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

View Full Version : Can you use commercial products?

rqachel
05-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi, I am thinking about getting into making gift baskets but the things I want to put into them are commercial (name brand) products that anyone can buy at like Wal-Mart or Dollor General. My main question is can you put name brand products into a gift basket and sell it without getting in trouble with the companies? Not all the products are from the same company, they are various brands.

I appreciate any advice or knowledge on this topic. Thanks.

954baskets
05-23-2007, 04:40 AM
Normally I try to stay away from products that anyone can pick up at Wal-Mart, etc. because people know how much each product is and how much you're marking it up. But, on occasion, when I get a special request, I do need to run and pick up these items, paying retail. I try to also put my products into help up the prices.
During Valentine'sDay, I've had special requests for items from Victoria's Secret (yes, they emailed me pictures and sizes). I also make a "munchie" basket usinga Blockbuster popcorn bucket and gift card. I do not advertise these items,because it is an infringement, but I get requests all of the time. Someone had once said that if youtell people thatyou do personal shopping as well, and a brand name is requested, it's fine.

rqachel
05-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Thank you for the help, I really appreciate your advice.

05-23-2007, 10:12 AM
I used to work in a Flower Shop and when we made up gift baskets we used items from the stores that you mentioned.We never had a problem with it.I would recommend that you make your baskets unique. Whether it is put something in them that people can't buy at the local stores or package them in a way that makes them stand apart from competition.

Good Luck,
Kristi

rqachel
05-23-2007, 03:33 PM
I appreciate it and planned on packaging it differently that way you know the brand, yet it is only like a trial version. (I don'twant to give to much awaybecause Ihaven'tseen alot of what I've come up with for a new basket.) I thought about selling them on ebay, do you think that might be risky, as the brands won't be specifically mentioned?
Thanks again for all your help.

954baskets
05-24-2007, 04:33 AM
I have never personally tried ebay, but have heard very negative things regarding selling gift baskets. I believe it was somewhere on one of these threads.

There's also a wealth of information on: www.gbexchange.net (http://www.gbexchange.net)

Paulas_Jafra
06-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Sent you a pm Rachel. I can help you if you are interested.