WAHM Forums

The WAHM community forum was created to be a place for work at home moms to share their ideas and stories. In the forum you can find information about work at home jobs, starting home businesses, avoiding scams, and surviving the WAHM lifestyle. In support of the WAHM community, WAHM.com also features instructional articles, easy recipes, as well as job and business listings tailored specifically to work at home opportunities.

Rowena
11-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi,

I applied for a telecommuting job as a Corporate English Trainer for a company called goFluent (goFluent.com).

Has anyone ever worked for them? I did the phone interview and got the job, although I wouldn't be an employee but a contractor.

I'm nervous because I'm a Canadian, the interview was held in France, I have to sign a 2-year contract with a New York address before starting the training and the training itself is on the internet and over the phone from the Phillipines. Also, the company pays via bank transfers. But the company boasts big corporate clients and I found ads for them going back to 2001.

Have any of you ever worked for goFluent or another English training over the phone type job?

I just don't want to be scammed or worse, sued if I realize that this job is not what it was described to be. Or what if I'm not paid but bound by this contract to keep going? Just really nervous about this contract! All I want is to make an honest living from home and be taken advantage of.

Thank you for your help,

Rowena

Rowena
11-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Lol, I meant I DON'T want to be taken advantage of.

Rowena

Leaf
11-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Hi Rowena,

Go Fluent is not a scam. I was interviewed by them a couple of years ago. At that time, they preferred their tutors to have fluency in a second language (I live in Canada also, so I had "rusty" French and German, too). Another requirement was that I rise at the crack o'dawn to to the lessons. I explained to her that my neurotransmitters do not fire at their peak during such hours and I believe that wasn't well recieved. It was, on my part, not negotiable, so whomever interviewed me (she was based in the States) told me she would conact me if the hours I preferred came available. She never did.

There was no mention whatsoever of a two year contract. That would overwhelm me, because as you said, it's not as though you are an employee who'd be receiving all sorts of benefits, hence welcome the long term offer.

Now, should they not pay you, you would not legally be bound to their contract as they hadn't held up their end of the deal.

You state that you'd referenced them going back several years. I did, too, at that time. When doing so, I noticed they'd placed a number if ads in which several different rates of pay were quoted. So that's something for you to delve into further also, just to make sure there are not those out there earning more who are lesser or equally qualified and under their employ/contract.

So I wouldn't be hesitant as to their legitimacy, but the two year contract would give me pause. Go over it with a fine toothed comb and make sure there's no loop holes regarding them w/holding your pay and under what conditions. Alternatively, it wouldn't hurt to propose that you work for them on a trial basis to see if you are a good "fit".

Good luck and let us know! :)

trixiepixie
11-24-2006, 09:29 AM
anyone working for them?

destinysplea
11-24-2006, 09:45 AM
I applied. Do you have to have a teaching degree for this? And how much is the pay? Thanks a bunch. Doesn't look like a scam to me. However, I'd be careful before signing two years of my life away!

Rowena
11-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Hi all,

I did some more searching into GoFluent. They are nowhere to be found in the Better Business Bureau's databases. So I looked up the New York address that is supposed to be GoFluent's New York office. Guess what?

The BBB says it's a company called RTF International that has offices there. So I look up RTF International.

I found two things: a Christian training center in North Carolina "providing an integrated approach to Bibilical Healing ministry." Then I looked up RTF International in New York. I found no website for this mysesterious company, just its name on some random webpages and June 2006 news report that Honeywell is suing a company called RTF International for stop payment fraud in New York courts.

Not very reassuring :(

Would you sign this contract and give your bank information? Or am I just jumping the gun?

Rowena
</font></span>

desperatehswife
12-06-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm working for them and loving it. Anyone else been with them for awhile?

CleeIB
08-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Just got this message from the North American manager for goFLUENT:

We no longer ask for contract workers as we are all employed by the company now. We have an office in Montreal, NY and KC now and are quite established and this is quite out of date.

Thus I am closing this thread. To discuss goFLUENT in its current incarnation, please start a new thread.