WAHM.com Boards
  Telecommuting Moms
  Tigerfish Transcription

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Tigerfish Transcription
janasaunt
New to WAHM.com
posted March 29, 2004 11:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for janasaunt     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Is anybody working for them, or has anyone applied there? I'm just curious to see how long it took others to take do the test. Seems like I've been doing it most of the day already (well, over an hour total), and I'm nowhere near finished. I guess I'm not cut out for transcription.

IP: Logged

Dimples
New to WAHM.com
posted March 30, 2004 12:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dimples     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I was thinking of applying there. They made the test sound so easy in the description. I was hopeful that it would be a good job lead. I am anxious too to find out if anyone is working for them already.

insulnut
New to WAHM.com
posted March 30, 2004 05:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for insulnut   Click Here to Email insulnut     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Would someone mind posting the link to this company or emailing it to me so I can look at this also? Thanks!!!

thesillygirl
WAHM.com regular
posted March 30, 2004 06:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for thesillygirl   Click Here to Email thesillygirl     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here you go insulnut
http://tigerfish.com/employment.html

Have a Blessed Day

-Kim
http://www.wah-101.com

Diamond
WAHM.com regular
posted March 30, 2004 10:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond   Click Here to Email Diamond     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Good to know I am not the only person who thinks the test is a little hard. I started it late one night and had to stop because I was too tired to finish. I had no idea the first part would be so hard to hear and understand. I had to keep playing it over and over again and I am still not finished. Maybe that means I will not really make any money doing transcription.

jnmurra
WAHM.com regular
posted March 30, 2004 11:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jnmurra     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Are the ones that are taking this test...are you using a set of headphones? I downloaded and listened to it just to see if it was hard to hear and I can hear it just fine. Granted, I have been doing transcription for a while now, but it sounds perfectly clear to me. The first speaker has a slight British accent and is speaking a "little" fast, but other than that, this audio is great. There isn't a lot of background noise or anything like that.

Maybe using a headphone set would help?

janasaunt
New to WAHM.com
posted March 30, 2004 11:44 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for janasaunt     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
No, I don't have headphones. I haven't done a lot of transcription before, but I'm usually a pretty fast and accurate typist and thought I'd give it a try. But they say each part should take about 20 minutes - I was working on the first part for close to 40 minutes (they're just all talking on top of each other at some point) before I decided to give up on it and try the next one. That one was easier to hear, but I don't know a lot of medical terminology, either. After it took me close to an hour, I've decided that transcription is just not for me. If I only make a couple of Dollars an hour, I guess my time is better spent playing with my son.

jnmurra
WAHM.com regular
posted March 30, 2004 11:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jnmurra     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well, this would be my guess at what they're doing. Maybe they're giving you the "worst" of the lot to see how well you do?

Headphones would help tremendously. I mean I don't even try to do it without headphones. I think I tried it once years ago, but it's just not beneficial to do it that way.

The audio sounded good to me, but whenever you get to a part where people are talking over each other and you can't understand it, you don't have to sit there and try to figure it out. I mean clients understand that a recording is what it is...if it's bad, then it's bad. I usually will listen to a section that is hard to hear maybe 3 times and then put [inaudible] and move on.

In my opinion, you also have to have an "ear" for it. I'm not saying that you don't because you just might and with more experience you could enhance that "ear," but sometimes people just don't have it.

Also, I don't always know the subject matter that I am transcribing. So I do Google searches for stuff all the time. Or I go to an online dictionary and look up words. That helps a lot.

And you're right, if you're only going to make a couple dollars an hour, then it's probably not the best route for you to take. I certainly wouldn't do it if I weren't making really good money.

One other "trick" you can do is just go through the audios the first time and transcribe what you can. Then go back and "relisten" because it is amazing what you can miss the first time, but if you go back and listen again after finishing your transcript, you can pick up a lot of stuff you missed. I thought I was the only that happens to, but I have spoken with someone that has done transcription for 20 years and she says the same thing happens to her.

Anyway, HTH, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

ledjinn
WAHM.com regular
posted March 30, 2004 02:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ledjinn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey jnmurra (or anyone else with info),

Do you know what their pay rate is?

jnmurra
WAHM.com regular
posted March 30, 2004 02:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jnmurra     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
No, I have no clue. I didn't even know they existed until I saw here where people were having difficulty with the test, so I just went and downloaded it the audio out of curiosity.

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | WAHM.com