WAHM question
WAHM advice

From the FTC:

WAHM.com Boards
  Telecommuting Moms
  Notary Signing Agents!!! (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2  next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Notary Signing Agents!!!
sacurrie
WAHM.com regular
posted November 14, 2003 06:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sacurrie   Click Here to Email sacurrie     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I've already posted under Real Estate. Is anyone doing this that can give me some information? I'm trying to get registered with more companies.

Thanks.

Stacy www.youravon.com/scurrie

IP: Logged

my2kids
WAHM.com regular
posted November 14, 2003 07:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for my2kids   Click Here to Email my2kids     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sacurrie, are you wanting to become notary?

M

Vicki03
WAHM.com regular
posted November 14, 2003 09:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Vicki03     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I don't even know of one company. Can you fill us in?

jnmsmom
New to WAHM.com
posted November 14, 2003 11:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jnmsmom     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
notary signing agents are also loan closers and appear on behalf of title companies at residential and/or commercial loan closings and witness and notarize signatures of the parties involved. Ther is a company called nationalnotary.org that states they can help you become a notary and find signing agent jobs. They charge a fee and I'm not sure their service is worth it. However the criteria is fairly straightforward, pass a 50-100 question test, pay a fee , get the notary stamp and you are ready to go. I would suggest job searching by going to job boards(monster.com, etc) type in notary and see what comes up. Also call your local area title companies and ask if they need additional people to go to evening or odd hour closings for them. Notary signing agent is not a totally work at home job because you do have to attend actual closings and typically you have documents from the bank and title company to copy, collate, staple etc before hand and then mail the package back after. All in all possible a 2-3 hour job for each closing. Hope this helps.

mjbones
WAHM.com regular
posted November 15, 2003 10:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mjbones     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi.

Not sure if it applys or not...guess it would be according to your local/state guidelines.

I use to hold a notary seal in Mississippi. I worked for a large law firm & it just made life easier to have a notary in the office. When I received my seal & all, it included a list of guidelines that the notary is required to follow. One of these was that it was not allowed to charge someone to notarize their documents. In order to receive payment it was treated as a "tip" or "donation". The only reason I remember this is prior to my rec'g my seal, I had to go to the bank for a notary. I was always charged a $3.00 fee. I inquired about it after I rec'd the instructions and was told that was not a "notary" fee but was actually an "adm" fee. LOL

Have a good one!
mjbones

monofmid
WAHM.com regular
posted November 15, 2003 10:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for monofmid   Click Here to Email monofmid     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I guess it depends on the state. I'm a notary in the state of Florida and we're allowed to charge for our services however we do have to follow set rules for doing so. We can't charge more than $10 for notarizing a document and more than $20 for marrying a couple. Erica

BeckyLondon
WAHM.com regular
posted November 15, 2003 11:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for BeckyLondon     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I am a notary siging agent and if you have access to a fax I can fax you my whole list. I average about 50.00 per closing, we can make more than the normal amount charged because we "travel" to peoples houses to do the closing and the company looks at the extra for travel and expenses. I'm on with over 200 companies so work is pretty steady.
If you get on with the main ones the work will just start coming in over night.
Becky

kekesmom
WAHM.com regular
posted November 15, 2003 12:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kekesmom   Click Here to Email kekesmom     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beckylondon,
you've got mail

Tonya

------------------
Bryce Ray and Keyen Thayne's proud mommy and wife of My Kelly

sacurrie
WAHM.com regular
posted November 15, 2003 02:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sacurrie   Click Here to Email sacurrie     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks everyone for your replies. Thank you Becky. I'm already a notary. I have a friend that lives at the other end of the state and does this. She's on with less than 10 companies, but most of them overnight her the documents. She then goes to the closings, witnesses the signatures, puts the package back in the mail and then sends something to the company letting them know she has completed the signing. She's a stay-at-home mom and does this after her husband gets home. Just curious to see if others are doing this in different areas.

Thanks again.

Stacy www.youravon.com/scurrie

my2kids
WAHM.com regular
posted November 15, 2003 08:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for my2kids   Click Here to Email my2kids     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I met a lady when I was taking my notary test. She started a mobile notary business (she was renewing her commission). She has contracted with businesses to come to them when they need something notorized. Her route consists of several smaller counties in Oregon and she said that she is making very good money. I thought this was a unique idea and it really paid off for her. Thought I would pass it on.

M.

lkszjohns
WAHM.com regular
posted November 21, 2003 02:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lkszjohns   Click Here to Email lkszjohns     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Becky, will you send me some info? I haven't been on the boards for awhile, it's been kinds of crazy. I also have to get to the other board and post a note for Amie, my kids love the Monkey Mail.

thenewsiewriter
WAHM.com regular
posted November 21, 2003 07:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for thenewsiewriter   Click Here to Email thenewsiewriter     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LOL! What test is this? I'm a notary in Michigan and I didn't take a test. I had to get a judge to write the governer a letter recommending me. That was it. A $10 app fee and I had my certificate. $50 more and I was bonded.

Is it different in other states?

I don't charge and I always refuse "tips" - I became a notary for the fun of it when I went to work at the church. I mainly notarize for members anyways and it's just to be a blessing.

I wasn't aware that you could make any serious money at it! LOL!

Kelly

------------------
Kelly McCausey

WAHM Talk Radio is on the Air!
http://www.wahmtalkradio.com

OnMyOwn
WAHM.com regular
posted November 22, 2003 11:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for OnMyOwn   Click Here to Email OnMyOwn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hello:

This is Tina in Atlanta Georgia. I am interested in becoming a Notary in Georgia. I currently work as a Director of Nursing for an assisted living community. My residents are always asking for notary services. On last weekend, I went to nearly 8 banks looking for one little document to be notarized, and this isnt the first time I had to search for a Notary. If I can ask how I can get started in Georgia?

Please help.

Thanks

monofmid
WAHM.com regular
posted November 22, 2003 01:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for monofmid   Click Here to Email monofmid     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Kelly, it varies from State to State. Here in Florida you also take a test. You can go somewhere and take a test or do like I did and take it online. It's very easy. Once you pass the test you print out a certificate and mail it in with your money and that's it. Erica

monofmid
WAHM.com regular
posted November 22, 2003 01:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for monofmid   Click Here to Email monofmid     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tina, I did a search about being a notary in Georgia and found this link maybe it will help you.
http://www.sos.state.ga.us/administration/notary.htm

By the way, I don't know if you knew this but a notary can't notarize their own signature or a document that you're a party of. At least not here in FL. I just mentioned that because you said you went through a lot of trouble finding a notary and I didn't know if that meant you wish you could notarize your papers yourself. Erica

[This message has been edited by monofmid (edited November 22, 2003).]

pa_mom
WAHM.com regular
posted November 23, 2003 12:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pa_mom     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
In order to become a notary in Pennsylvania, you must take a 3 hour course, and have a $10,000 bond, and have a state senator endorse you. Phew!!! I've been looking into this because it sounds, well, just so cool. And I think I could really do this. I'm only wondering though, if there would be any work in my area.

Mamakidee
WAHM.com regular
posted November 23, 2003 12:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mamakidee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kelly(newsiegirl)
I need to become bonded in my state. What exactly does that mean? LOL!!

Thanks Tonia

monofmid
WAHM.com regular
posted November 23, 2003 10:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for monofmid   Click Here to Email monofmid     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pa mom, I forgot to mention that. In Florida you need to be bonded for $7500 but it only costs like $20 or $30 to do that. It's good for the 4 years of your commission.

Tonia being bonded is sort of like insurance but not for you. This is what it says on one of the notary sites.

"This notary bond protects the public against any error, careless mistake, negligence, intentional violation, or fraud committed by the notary. The bond does NOT protect the notary; however, notaries may purchase Errors and Omissions Insurance for their own protection."

Erica

sacurrie
WAHM.com regular
posted November 24, 2003 05:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for sacurrie   Click Here to Email sacurrie     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi everyone. As you can see from the questions and posts, becoming a Notary is very different in every state. You will need to research it for your particular state. Also, every state has different rules on what a Notary can and cannot do. Check online, go to your local courthouse, check your local community college for continuing education classes.

As far as being a Notary Signing Agent. This is also known as being a Mobile Notary. Mortgage and finance companies set the price for you, as far as what they will pay you to go to someone's home or location and witness/notarize their closing papers.

To determine if your area has a local notary or has too many, go to www.notaryrotary.com, type in your address and do a search.

Hope this helps.

Stacy
Charlotte, NC www.youravon.com/scurrie

tlroth
WAHM.com regular
posted November 30, 2003 08:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tlroth     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have a notary reference manual that contains requirements of notaries duties and what they can and cannot do for all 50 states. Unfortunately, it doesn't show the requirements needed to become a notary, but it does have websites for all 50 states that you can go to. On those sites, you should be able to find out what you need to do to become a notary. If anyone has questions, I will be happy to look the answers up for you and help if I can. Just email me with your question and I will try to help you. Please note that my book is for 2000-2001, and I cannot promise that all the websites are still in existance. They should be for the most part, because they are part of the state government sites.

I am a mobile notary and I love the work, but it's really slowing down now and I'm also looking to earn additional income.

quote:
Originally posted by sacurrie:
Hi everyone. As you can see from the questions and posts, becoming a Notary is very different in every state. You will need to research it for your particular state. Also, every state has different rules on what a Notary can and cannot do. Check online, go to your local courthouse, check your local community college for continuing education classes.

As far as being a Notary Signing Agent. This is also known as being a Mobile Notary. Mortgage and finance companies set the price for you, as far as what they will pay you to go to someone's home or location and witness/notarize their closing papers.

To determine if your area has a local notary or has too many, go to www.notaryrotary.com, type in your address and do a search.

Hope this helps.

Stacy
Charlotte, NC www.youravon.com/scurrie

alenciaashtonmoore
New to WAHM.com
posted April 08, 2004 02:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alenciaashtonmoore   Click Here to Email alenciaashtonmoore     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BeckyLondon:
I am a notary siging agent and if you have access to a fax I can fax you my whole list. I average about 50.00 per closing, we can make more than the normal amount charged because we "travel" to peoples houses to do the closing and the company looks at the extra for travel and expenses. I'm on with over 200 companies so work is pretty steady.
Becky

alenciaashtonmoore
New to WAHM.com
posted April 08, 2004 02:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alenciaashtonmoore   Click Here to Email alenciaashtonmoore     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Becky I have had quite a bit of work, but things seem to slow down , I would to know if you could possibly send me a copy of the 200 companies that keep you busy. I am in the denver colorado area. Desperate. Thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by BeckyLondon:
Becky

alenciaashtonmoore
New to WAHM.com
posted April 08, 2004 02:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for alenciaashtonmoore   Click Here to Email alenciaashtonmoore     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I am a mobile notary in denver colorado area and am needing other companies to keep me busy as well as make money. I would be most appreciative. I'm sorry I posted my reply in the wrong spot. my email address is alenciaashtonmoore@notary4hire. Also notary4hire is another cool free website for notaries. My fax number is 303-693-8956
Thank You Alencia.

wahmomof2
New to WAHM.com
posted April 08, 2004 10:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wahmomof2     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Another good place for info is www.gomobilenotary.com. As for Tina, I also live in Atlanta, GA (Lithonia, to be exact). I am a notary. All I did was go to the courthouse and fill out the application, pay a $15 fee, get sworn in and I was on my way. It took about 30 minutes. I think there was a law passed in GA. recently that only allows an attorney to close on loans. HTH

Chelle

trishie21
New to WAHM.com
posted April 09, 2004 12:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for trishie21   Click Here to Email trishie21     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Becky, Could you please email me the info at ruchelle@earthlink.net. My fax crashed this afternoon.

Thanks!

freelancewriter
WAHM.com regular
posted April 09, 2004 01:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for freelancewriter   Click Here to Email freelancewriter     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I found this http://www.nationalnotary.org/about/index.cfm?Text=aboutPR&newsID=159

It talks about the ruling passed down allowing only attorneys to sign at closings in Georgia. Is this how notaries make the bulk of their mone, on closings?

trishie21
New to WAHM.com
posted April 09, 2004 08:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for trishie21   Click Here to Email trishie21     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freelancewriter, I don't know what year this is from but it looks to me like all its saying is that its the state bar's opinion and that the state supreme court has to decide in Sept. Looks like even the lawyers can see the money in it..LOL..I lived in Douglasville, GA for 4 years. Stupid stuff like this is why I'm glad we left..

antoninab
WAHM.com regular
posted April 09, 2004 09:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for antoninab   Click Here to Email antoninab     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I live in GA and would love to be able to be a Notary signing agent.

------------------
Antonina Boatman
Independent Associate

Making A Living Making A Difference

Get Access to Top Attorneys
For Less Than $1.00 A Day

Identity Theft Protection Plan $12.95 per month

wahmomof2
New to WAHM.com
posted April 09, 2004 01:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wahmomof2     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Antonina, the lady who owns this website lives in the Atlanta Metro area and started this site for mobile notaries in GA. She was featured in the Journal-Consititution about 2 years ago. I think she mentors new notaries. This job is not an easy one. You must know real estate documents and how to document signatures. You don't have to explain the meaning of the documents, that's supposed to be the loan officer's job, but sometimes you do. If you don't do well a lot of the signing companies will not use you again. There are books you can read to get more information and to see copies of documents and what is required of a signing agent. You also must have great organization skills and have a pretty good fax machine ( I think most want you to have a laser fax that you can receive at least 50 pages and will automatically switch between legal and letter size). Anyway, sorry for the long post but I think the more information you have the better decision you can make. oh yeah, the site is www.georgianotary.org/index.html.

antoninab
WAHM.com regular
posted April 09, 2004 01:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for antoninab   Click Here to Email antoninab     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thank you wahmom0f2 so much for your information. Before now, I was under the impression that I had to be an attorney to do this. I know a little bit about real estate documents, but I don't mind learning as much as I can.

I appreciate your help!

------------------
Antonina Boatman
Independent Associate

antoninab
WAHM.com regular
posted April 09, 2004 01:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for antoninab   Click Here to Email antoninab     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The link isn't working, does she still own this site?

------------------
Antonina Boatman
Independent Associate

antoninab
WAHM.com regular
posted April 09, 2004 01:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for antoninab   Click Here to Email antoninab     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I got it to work! However, there's a note on the website that they will not be taking Georgia members until those issues stated in a previous post are resolved.

------------------
Antonina Boatman
Independent Associate

swocky1
WAHM.com regular
posted April 23, 2004 01:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for swocky1   Click Here to Email swocky1     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hello,

I was looking into this awhile ago for the state of Oregon but have been so busy lately and unable to devote my attention to it.

Anyway, I finally opened the email they sent me with the application and test. All I have to do is take an open book 20 question test and send it in with 20 bucks. Easy enough!!

I will be attending a meeting in May about becoming a notary in Oregon put on my the state. I know I am in the early stages but I do have questions.

Becky I was wondering if you could fax over the information for me as well. Also I am a bit confused about the pay. Do I set my rates and base them on a tip and distance? How does that work. Thanks so much.

Stacey

------------------
When In Doubt Hire Out
Freelance Clerical Services
http://home.comcast.net/~swocky1/
Win A Free Year Of Advertising!!
http://www.newbusinessbuzz.com

The PerfecType
New to WAHM.com
posted April 23, 2004 07:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for The PerfecType   Click Here to Email The PerfecType     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Becky,

I am also interested in obtaining the list of companies who hire mobile notaries. I currently sit in on these closings at my current job, but plan to be working at home full-time soon, and I know this is something I would enjoy. Also, if you have time to email me, I do have a couple other questions about being a mobile notary. Thanks. Amber.

mommy2peanut
WAHM.com regular
posted April 24, 2004 01:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mommy2peanut   Click Here to Email mommy2peanut     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
It does differ from state to state. I was a notary for the state of TX. I didn't have to take a test, all I did was fill out a form have another notary, notarize it for me, and then send off to the state. The company I worked for paid for my app. fee and bond.

By the way, just helpful note to the person who is working at a nursing home, depending on what you notarizing and some other factors, you may not be able to notarize for your patients/clients, etc... When I used to notarize for estate planning documents for people in nursing homes, we could not have any of the staff as witnesses. Hope this gives you of an idea of some things to check into

Good luck!

TwinklingStar
WAHM.com regular
posted April 24, 2004 10:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TwinklingStar     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ok,I am really getting excited about what this could really turn into. I did a little research on some of the information I read on here. The Rotary Notary is an awesome site..they have a message board and if you look at the past history you can get some good feedback and the answers to some of your questions. I still have a good bit of questions and I was not able to read all the messages last night. Anyhow when I did a search it showed 8 mobile notary members. You can become a notary on their sight, but I am already a notary I know it will expire soon. I looked up on our State Page and it is about 15.00 sign up. Not a big investment..name change is 10.00. There was a section on what a Notary can and can't sign here in SC...no biggie..Good idea to really study this for the future to be able to pop off an answer when asked. There is even a "free" class that I think the Governor has suggested and it is at different locations in the state throughout the year. Kinda cool. Fees per page are as low as .10 but if I am understanding you all correctly we would change an agent fee or admin fee so we could do an invoice with .30 for three pages plus an admin fee for Real Estate deals..Right..so far Does not sound like a big deal...however the main goal if I am on the right page is to take a class like the one offered by Notary Rotary to help you in re to signing agents for Real Estate? Can someone help me here is that what it is or is it just general Notary do's and don'ts. I really need to find out more information on this so I can really get the full picture. Like where do we go from here...we all really need to learn the docs and understand them how do we get to this point..which is why I was asking about a class. I know a Real Estate Atty, not sure if that would be a start...I also know of a person who does mortages..not sure if he could give any input or what I would even ask for that matter...any ideas or is it pointless to ask him? What I thought was to get in touch with these 8 mobile people in my area
and meet with them. See if they would be open to networking. I can see if one would want to be a mentor to me..some live close others live off. But wouldn't it be cool to get in touch with companies and offer a list of people solely for them to use only...since I have 3 kids I could not go at certain times but I can say let me do the checking and get a person for you. One lady spoke spanish..she can do some...My mind is just flying a million miles a min. Wouldn't you get more business by forming a friendship/Team and network? Please give me your thoughts on this and those doing it please let me know if I am on the right track and where to go from here. Thank you so much for the insight of this. This is really a upcoming field or can be.

TwinklingStar
WAHM.com regular
posted April 25, 2004 08:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TwinklingStar     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bump up to see if anyone has found out anything else? I want to the NNA? I think and they have a class you can go to $$$ for the teaching of the loan paper work. They have some online classes as well. However at the bottom it said it was not offered in my state at this time. Not sure which or if both of these things it is talking about so I will try to send them an email and ask them later.

momplace
WAHM.com regular
posted April 25, 2004 08:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for momplace   Click Here to Email momplace     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Twinkling,
Did you notice that there is a whole Mobile Notary category in the Members' section on Telework Recruiting? That should give you a head start, as about all of them hire nationwide.
Pamela

------------------
Telework Recruiting, Inc.

Where work & professionals are both at home.

TwinklingStar
WAHM.com regular
posted April 25, 2004 10:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TwinklingStar     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Girl, I need to get my hiney over there and check it out...I have been over there for a while now! LOL
K

twistedsister
WAHM.com regular
posted April 25, 2004 10:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for twistedsister     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I recieved my certification through the NNA. I recieved the cost of the test back in one week! There is a basic pay schedule that the NNA came out with but your free to set your own prices. Of course, someone could always under bid you.

This topic is 2 pages long:   1  2 

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | WAHM.com