WAHM Links
WAHMEE Award
WAHM.com Undercover
Ask Jane
Recipes
WAHM question
WAHM advice

WAHM.com Boards
  Join the Discussions, Meet other WAHMs - NO ADS!
  Swollen Lip??

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Swollen Lip??
elfinsnow
WAHM.com regular
posted September 30, 2004 08:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for elfinsnow   Click Here to Email elfinsnow     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ok- this is kinda weird, but I haven`t got a clue what is wrong and I was hoping someone would know!
I woke up yesterday and my bottom lip was swelled up a little. I figured I bumped it or something. As the day went on it got worse.
Today I look like one of those kids from Fat Albert! My bottom lip is huge! It has a white bump towards the inside (Not a pimple) with a hard lump in it. the inside is bumpy- but might be from pressing on my teeth. It itches, and hurts to push on it.
Only my bottom lip is affected- the top one is fine.

Any ideas?? I can`t just run to the Dr as I have no insurance right now.
Terry

IP: Logged

Yogismate
WAHM.com regular
posted September 30, 2004 08:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Yogismate   Click Here to Email Yogismate     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terry:
I am not a doctor but from a person who gets these, it is probably a cold sore or herpes simplex. There are meds over the counter for this. I find if I put aloe on it asap it goes away pretty quick. Take care.

elfinsnow
WAHM.com regular
posted September 30, 2004 08:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for elfinsnow   Click Here to Email elfinsnow     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Really? Does that make your whole lip swell?
(I`ve never had one)
The bump looks like a blister kinda- water blister like? I stabbed it with a needle, but nothing happened.
I`ll get something from Walmart and give it a shot this am.
Thank You!
Terry

AtlantaGAMom
WAHM.com regular
posted September 30, 2004 09:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for AtlantaGAMom   Click Here to Email AtlantaGAMom     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Are you allergic to anything? My sister is allergic to penicilin (sp) and the doctor's gave her amoxicilin (DUH) when she woke up her lip was swollen and her eyes.

My other sister got bit by a spider on the foot and her foot swelled. Could it be either of those??

elfinsnow
WAHM.com regular
posted September 30, 2004 09:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for elfinsnow   Click Here to Email elfinsnow     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hmm- It could be a spider I guess. I was working in the new house down in the cellar night before last- next morning it was swollen?
I don`t remember getting bit or anything though.
Thanks
Terry

babybearhana
WAHM.com regular
posted September 30, 2004 10:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for babybearhana   Click Here to Email babybearhana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
It sounds like a mouth herpes to me. I had one on the inside of my upper lip and oh boy my lip got humangest.

Yogismate
WAHM.com regular
posted September 30, 2004 03:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Yogismate   Click Here to Email Yogismate     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terry:
I usually get one after a real bad cold or virus probably because my immune system is shot. I have lupus so not surprising there. They are no fun to have. Just make certain to never put anything with steroids (hydrocortisone cream) on them. Steroids suppress your immune system further and the blisters get worse. I had a doctor prescribe that once and I looked like a monster after. But if you read the precautions on the creams it states to not put on herpes type sores. Also do not be put off by the herpes issue. There are many forms of herpes and this is a common ailment not necessarily an STD. I also get herpes zoster on occasion which is shingles. That is painful. Hope it all gets better soon. Take care.

thenewsiewriter
WAHM.com regular
posted September 30, 2004 11:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for thenewsiewriter   Click Here to Email thenewsiewriter     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Herpes does not cause your lip to get fat.

My son developed an Ibuprophen allergy a couple of years ago and experienced facial swelling that was commical and scary too! His lips swelled and the tissue above and around his eyes swelled. It came and went for days.

Taking benadryl will usually take down swelling

------------------
:) Kelly McCausey
Internet Talk Radio for Moms in Business
Do you want to work at home?

Yogismate
WAHM.com regular
posted October 01, 2004 06:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Yogismate   Click Here to Email Yogismate     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/hw31982.asp

Hope this helps.

elfinsnow
WAHM.com regular
posted October 01, 2004 07:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for elfinsnow   Click Here to Email elfinsnow     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks!
Still no sores or oozing or anything- just a fat lip with a bump in the middle. Hubby says I look like I got my lips done (collagen)- and forgot to do the top one. lol!
I have a long weekend too. Going on a Scout outting with the family. They are staying at a state park and having "Junkyard Wars".
Each troop gets a pile of junk and has to make a movable vehicle- then race it through an obstacle course.
Ppl stare at it when I go to the store- it`s going to be embarrassing at the campout!!
*sigh*
Terry

Mothermomtotwo
WAHM.com regular
posted October 01, 2004 08:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mothermomtotwo   Click Here to Email Mothermomtotwo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A blocked saliva gland perhaps? I used to work for Oral Surgeons, and remember that the swollen thing was part of the gland not being able to release the saliva. Try sucking on a lemom, or those candy lemon drops. Hope that helps!
Mary

------------------
Mary Scott-Pinskey
Zedora *Italian Charms* Independent Sales Consultant
http://www.zedora.com/2811

Mothermomtotwo
WAHM.com regular
posted October 05, 2004 10:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mothermomtotwo   Click Here to Email Mothermomtotwo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
How is your lip doing?

------------------
Mary Scott-Pinskey
Zedora *Italian Charms* Independent Sales Consultant
http://www.zedora.com/2811

elfinsnow
WAHM.com regular
posted October 09, 2004 09:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for elfinsnow   Click Here to Email elfinsnow     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
It`s been 2 weeks, and it`s still swollen.
It was going down end of last week, then ballooned back up yesterday.
Still no sore or anything- just swollen. I look like I got punched in the mouth all the time.
Itches alot too.
I suppose I will have to break down and go to the Dr- I feel so silly about it though. It`s just a fat lip! lol!
Plus the money- argh!
*sigh*
Terry

elfinsnow
WAHM.com regular
posted October 09, 2004 09:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for elfinsnow   Click Here to Email elfinsnow     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
By the way- the little white bump it had? That kinda looked like a blister? Long gone! No sores or anything in over a week. Weird!
Terry

steffk
WAHM.com regular
posted October 09, 2004 10:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for steffk   Click Here to Email steffk     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I had something like that happen to me when I was in high school. It was the most swollen in the morning and it would get better throughout the day. Then I'd wake up and start all over again. It started to itch and then peel even. I think it was from my skin being so stretched. We never did figure out what was wrong really. I think I was biting my lip in my sleep or something. I don't know. It just went away after a couple of weeks. Good luck!

------------------
Stephanie Knecht
Start doing your best work from home!
www.athomeexcellence.com

Segb
WAHM.com regular
posted October 10, 2004 11:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Segb   Click Here to Email Segb     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi!

I have *really* sensitive skin, and get little hives frequently. Yes, I've even had it happen to my lip. It got the little bump and the itching, too, but my swelling, etc. only lasts for a few hours at most. It sounds like you're allergic to something, though. Are you eating, bathing with, touching,etc. anything new lately?

You deffinately should see a doctor, at least to put your mind to rest.

Good luck!
Tiffany

------------------
Candle Corner Candles & Specialty Gifts
www.CandleCornerCandles.com
Indulge your senses in something extraordinary...

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | WAHM.com